What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get why they would go. So many desperate clubs out there. Pure business really not sure how the club can do anything different

Are you serious? Not sure how the club could’ve done anything different? They’ve made several mistakes, they look like absolute amateurs right now.

Who tales the word of a 19 year old kid FFS?!

who let’s go a talented prop before re-signing your preferred option?!

The_Frog

First Grade
Has a great year this year. But Sauce is 30, he's getting slower by the day. The club chose to be honest with him and tell him that will be struggle to be in first grade in 2021....because of Staines being in the rear view lights.
You live and learn. Next player in this position won't get told until all the contracts are wrapped up.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This is the most profound comment since Sauce was knifed in the back. Sure there may be younger more talented blokes than him but he was the heart and soul of the team and the flow on from him being turfed has had a ripple effect. You are so right, these young fellas won't make the same mistakes, they will look after themselves. Having a great team isn't always about having the best players in every position, there is more to team cohesion than that. You know the old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions and its looking very much like our champion team is about to be ripped to shreds.

Black Diamond. I can't see how Sauce was knifed in the back.

What do you believe the club should have done. Played him on the wing in 2021 while Staines stands around looking for something to do ?

I really think this Mansour acting like a spolit child. There are times in life when you have to step aside with grace and dignity.....this was one of these times.

What do you think the club should have done ?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You live and learn. Next player in this position won't get told until all the contracts are wrapped up.

Exactly.

I think the club were attempting to do the 'right' thing for Mansour.

They met with him and laid their cards on the table. Rest assured josh because of your low emotional IQ they wont do that again.

One Legend of another club found out in the press that he was unwanted.

Seriously Josh now naive are you. What were you expecting, demanding in fact.

Do you want Charlie Staines to sit back in reggies for another 12 months, so you can feel good about yourself.

It appears now that your behaviour and words are inciting some of these kids to do the same.

We don't always get a fairytale josh just ask blokes like Matty Johns who left newey and played at cronulla because their was no room for him in the cap.

I don't think Matty behaved like this.

franklin2323

Immortal
Are you serious? Not sure how the club could’ve done anything different? They’ve made several mistakes, they look like absolute amateurs right now.

Who tales the word of a 19 year old kid FFS?!

who let’s go a talented prop before re-signing your preferred option?!

Hetherington situation we would of had no control over. If we shop him around you can't not let him go if the new club wants him.

Ayoub would of weasled him out of it. As all players do look at Matterson last year. Aloai. Bateman

The moment they change Managers the players get more coin or released

The season set up was what killed it. Mid season SOO wouldn't of seen half these issues

franklin2323

Immortal
You can not release Hetherington until you’ve got Leniu locked up, you can ask Barrett to leave mid year, you can treat Mansour a little better, you can not take a handshake deal for granted.

All this adds up to poor management. They look amateur.

So who takes over from Barrett?
So how do you handle Mansour? He had to not be re-signed there was no doubt about it.
Not the Clubs fault there was only a week between the GF and when he can talk to other clubs.
Not the clubs fault due to SOO being played at the end of the year. 3 of the off contract guys are picked ( none play if it is mid season)
Didn't re-sign Tamou so they freed up funds.

Hetherington situation we would of had no control over. If we shop him around you can't not let him go if the new club wants him.

Ayoub would of weasled him out of it. As all players do look at Matterson last year. Aloai. Bateman

The moment they change Managers the players get more coin or released

The season set up was what killed it. Mid season SOO wouldn't of seen half these issues

You don’t shop him around until you’ve re-signed Leniu. That’s the point.

Hetherington is a talented player, we would’ve been able to unload him at any point.

And you’ve made my point about Crichton. The club was ridiculously naive to believe he wouldn’t push for more money when he signed a new manager. Therefore you don’t enter negotiations until then. Now the new manager knows our cards.

So who takes over from Barrett?
So how do you handle Mansour? He had to not be re-signed there was no doubt about it.
Not the Clubs fault there was only a week between the GF and when he can talk to other clubs.
Not the clubs fault due to SOO being played at the end of the year. 3 of the off contract guys are picked ( none play if it is mid season)
Didn't re-sign Tamou so they freed up funds.

You’ve already had half a season with Barrett, the other coaches should’ve easily been able to take over from what he’s taught them. Bring in Brandy to help, Craig Gower too

With Mansour you wait another week or two, that still gives him plenty of time to find another club. Clubs are a long way from locking in their roster, there was no 2 day urgency required.

franklin2323

Immortal
You don’t shop him around until you’ve re-signed Leniu. That’s the point.

Hetherington is a talented player, we would’ve been able to unload him at any point.

And you’ve made my point about Crichton. The club we ridiculously naive to believe he wouldn’t push for more money when he signed a new manager. Therefore you don’t enter negotiations until then. Now the new manager knows our cards.

It isn't always that easy though. Look at Whare for over a year we have been trying to get rid of him. I doubt Hetherington was a quick sell either you have no say over that.

It doesn't matter if we shown our cards or not. The push from the other clubs would still be there that is what drives his price up

age.s

First Grade
Black Diamond. I can't see how Sauce was knifed in the back.

The majority of us here can't really say, only provide opinion and conjecture. However Sauce seems to think he was and it at least looks to have rubbed many in the squad the wrong way. Sauce has only ever been a stable character, not someone prone to going off or spitting the dummy.

They're all closer to this than any of us. Maybe they know something we don't.

franklin2323

Immortal
You’ve already had half a season with Barrett, the other coaches should’ve easily been able to take over from what he’s taught them. Bring in Brandy to help, Craig Gower too

With Mansour you wait another week or two, that still gives him plenty of time to find another club. Clubs are a long way from locking in their roster, there was no 2 day urgency required.

Not with the bubble though. Brandy would then need to give up board member and Fox duties. By the time you found one you would be too far behind

Do you think Staines re-signs without a guarantee there is a spot for him? So you run the risk of it getting out via the media or player rumour. Much worse him to find out like that

franklin2323

Immortal
The majority of us here can't really say, only provide opinion and conjecture. However Sauce seems to think he was and it at least looks to have rubbed many in the squad the wrong way. Sauce has only ever been a stable character, not someone prone to going off or spitting the dummy.

Having that talk to him was a no brainer really

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Or maybe it's all about ego and the like.

I can't believe that Josh didn't realise his days were numbered. Hasn't he seen the young backs comming through, you know the ones than burn him in the beep test. Or are they so wrapped up in themselves that they can't see beyond the end of their nose.

It's no wonder some 'sports stars' struggle when there careers end. The lack of simple emotional maturity (in my opinion is mind boggling).

I don't think many of them (Josh include) know how the real world lives.

No wonder so many of them struggle when they enter the 'real world'

You get old....you get replaced. If your lucky you may get taken out for a meal......

You get sick, you get replaced. Generally not even taken out for lunch.

The world that some of these players live in is a place called fantasyland......it's not real.

Last edited:
Not with the bubble though. Brandy would then need to give up board member and Fox duties. By the time you found one you would be too far behind

Do you think Staines re-signs without a guarantee there is a spot for him? So you run the risk of it getting out via the media or player rumour. Much worse him to find out like that

Then you bring in someone else. Keeping Barrett was always a risky move.

I have no issue with moving Mansour on, my issue is with how they handled it. Waiting another week or two would’ve been fine, and allowed us time to wrap up some signatures. Instead we’re playing catch-up with everything.

It isn't always that easy though. Look at Whare for over a year we have been trying to get rid of him. I doubt Hetherington was a quick sell either you have no say over that.

It doesn't matter if we shown our cards or not. The push from the other clubs would still be there that is what drives his price up

Whare is a broken down centre, Hetherington is an exciting prop prospect. They’re not even remotely similar. Hetherington would’ve had several clubs interested in him.

And it does matter that we showed our cards. Of course interest from other clubs drives up the price, but we established a base price for him to negotiate with other clubs. The other clubs have had months to plan on how they can beat that price. You don’t put your cards on the table like that in a negotiation. This is negotiating 101, it’s a dance.

franklin2323

Immortal
Whare is a broken down centre, Hetherington is an exciting prop prospect. They’re not even remotely similar. Hetherington would’ve had several clubs interested in him.

And it does matter that we showed our cards. Of course interest from other clubs drives up the price, but we established a base price for him to negotiate with other clubs. The other clubs have had months to plan on how they can beat that price. You don’t put your cards on the table like that in a negotiation. This is negotiating 101, it’s a dance.

The precendence is there for $600k. I'd rather spend $600k on Crichton then Cotric. Staggs will go for even more base or not the ending will still be the same

The precendence is there for $600k. I'd rather spend $600k on Crichton then Cotric. Staggs will go for even more base or not the ending will still be the same

it’s not the same thing. We allowed the other clubs time to clear space to make a play at Crichton, knowing exactly how much they had to beat. That’s not a smart way to negotiate. The 600k you mention isn’t a precedent anyway, for it to be a precedent you need to compare a player with similar experience.

The other issue is the club looks weak. We all know the managers are vultures, but allowing yourself to be publicly played like this is pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.