What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short term yes but if Edwards doesn't improve then who knows. If Burton carves up at centre. Then we may be looking to find a way to get Naden or someone into the side.

So you sign him with plans being as a centre but doesn't mean he doesn't get moved

600k is still too much for a 25 game player. I reckon he’s a future star, but I’m at the point where if he wants 600k+ he can walk. If you allow yourselves to be pushed around by these player managers it will only get worse.

Make it a 2 year extension at 500k, if he continues to improve then he can demand his 600k+ deal.

Kilkenny

Coach
Then those guys would’ve likely stayed at Penrith, or we would’ve traded them for someone else. So it’s the same outcome in terms of making it difficult to retain the current young talent.

A few notes on the guys you mentioned

- Cartwright requested a full release to leave Sydney because of personal issues. Gus got lucky there, was nothing to do with his negotiating skills.

- Peachey was released with only one year to go, of course we didn’t have to pay for him to play elsewhere.

- CHN was never signed to a long term deal

Moylan is the only one Gus did something special with. It was a smart deal trading him for Maloney, I give him credit there. But his overall strategy of signing players to long term deals was always very dangerous, even if you think Gus wouldn’t have paid as much for RCG and Blake to play elsewhere, there was always a high risk that Gus’ long term deals were going to have to be dealt with by future management.

You can’t run your recruitment & retention strategy based solely on one person’s negotiating skills, that’s totally irresponsible.

There’s no doubt what we are paying for RCG and Blake, perhaps as much as 400K per season until 2022 as has been suggested between the pair is hurting us.

I agree 600K for Crichton is too much and is a gamble.

age.s

First Grade
Exactly. Nothing stopping Mansour from doing that.

I mean, he did do that in a similar situation. He started 2019 very poorly and was dropped to reserve grade. There was no dummy spit, no bitching to the media, no white anting the new coach. He took his lumps, worked on his game and came back (with Edwards) a much improved player. He's been here for a long time, through ups and downs and has only ever been a positive influence on the club. Quite aside from whether you think he's in our best 17, you can possibly tell me that's the guy who's just having a sook because he's got a bruised ego.

I'm not sure why we're so sure we're not going to need him in 2022. He's just had a pretty good year and both Staines and To'o have had injury problems. Tell him he'll be given the same opportunity to nail down the spot and go from there. Treat him well and maybe he's happy being the 3rd string winger with a shot at a post playing career role at the club he loves. At worst he leaves the club amicably and minimises disruption.

franklin2323

Immortal
600k is still too much for a 25 game player. I reckon he’s a future star, but I’m at the point where if he wants 600k+ he can walk. If you allow yourselves to be pushed around by these player managers it will only get worse.

Make it a 2 year extension at 500k, if he continues to improve then he can demand his 600k+ deal.

Which is why I say we have the power if someone prices themselves out then let them walk

WestyLife

First Grade
I mean, he did do that in a similar situation. He started 2019 very poorly and was dropped to reserve grade. There was no dummy spit, no bitching to the media, no white anting the new coach. He took his lumps, worked on his game and came back (with Edwards) a much improved player. He's been here for a long time, through ups and downs and has only ever been a positive influence on the club. Quite aside from whether you think he's in our best 17, you can possibly tell me that's the guy who's just having a sook because he's got a bruised ego.

I'm not sure why we're so sure we're not going to need him in 2022. He's just had a pretty good year and both Staines and To'o have had injury problems. Tell him he'll be given the same opportunity to nail down the spot and go from there. Treat him well and maybe he's happy being the 3rd string winger with a shot at a post playing career role at the club he loves. At worst he leaves the club amicably and minimises disruption.

Maybe they could've been more gentle but really it's pretty standard coach picking his best 17 except Mansour got the added respect of being forewarned.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe they could've been more gentle but really it's pretty standard coach picking his best 17 except Mansour got the added respect of being forewarned.

Maybe Matt Cameron and Ivan Cleary should have had the conversation with Josh mid season.

Cant help feeling despite not re-signing a number of players and allowing others to leave we are still not travelling as well as we had hoped.

As i say ill remain optimistic until we lose more players but it is certainly a worry none the less.

age.s

First Grade
Nah, Edwards was slow and so was Mansour.

Look at the intercept try, Mansour was nowhere.

Mansour was fine in the GF. Very unlucky not to have a brace and took his (no) try pretty nicely. Of course he's not going to run down Vinivalu from there. The answer is to not throw intercepts rather than expect your stocky, leg drive based winger to chase down one of the quicker players in the comp from a 15 meter lead. He certainly wasn't blown off the park. Its true that Edwards didn't have a great game. I think he was injured though.

What lost us the GF was nerves, our right side defence and a touch of bad luck. Martie's right, we cruise through that game playing at even 70%, despite the edge their back 3 have in the top speed metric. Footy isn't athletics.

Kilkenny

Coach
If you believe James Hooper the Bulldogs are close to securing Crichton, Lenui and Burton it is just BS and not possible. They spent significantly already and to suggest they still have sufficient to sign the above is absurd.

WestyLife

First Grade
If you believe James Hooper the Bulldogs are close to securing Crichton, Lenui and Burton it is just BS and not possible. They spent significantly already and to suggest they still have sufficient to sign the above is absurd.

They'd have the cap for it as they've cleared the decks so to speak. They'd have the most cap space of any club right now.

Kilkenny

Coach
They'd have the cap for it as they've cleared the decks so to speak. They'd have the most cap space of any club right now.

Aiden Tolman and Kieran Foran basically. They’ve re-signed a couple of there young guns including Averillo/Elliot and brought in Flanagan, Hetherington, Cotric, Waddell and Luke Thompson mid season on big money from the UK.

They still have money to sign our own Crichton, Burton & Lenui I don’t think so. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.