What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Yesterday I said that the behavior of this detective and his non-compliance the normal procedure involving restricted evidence may cause a mis-trial . Now these later revelations of the same individual admitting to actually lying in court must have the judge/magistrate seriously thinking of dismissing the case lock , stock and barrel .

What was the DPP thinking taking this matter to court.
* Lying detectives
* Video of the victim together with the attackers after the alleged incident near a Wollongong night club
* Incorrect handling of witness testimony.
* Detectives that can't remember what they wrote in a case that has gone on 2 years.

No one comes out of this clean.
* Jack at best has serious morality issue to deal with.
* The Police look incompetent.
* The decision making on behalf of the DPP is well below what is expected of them.
* The NRL .... You know.

lynx000

Juniors
I did miss that and as you have said it certainly would had been taken into account before this trial . I suppose that lawyer Campbell is merely attempting to refresh the courts mind as to the true (?) nature of the detective and by so doing scoring some points .
No, the hearing in February would have been legal argument about admissibility of evidence, called a voire dire. That would have been done without a jury with the judge along making rulings on legal arguments.

It is now being raised in front of the jury to cast doubt over the prosecution case, the honesty and integrity of the police officer and the complainant. From the press reports and without being there, the defence case seems to be being very well run.

TruSaint

Referee
No, the hearing in February would have been legal argument about admissibility of evidence, called a voire dire. That would have been done without a jury with the judge along making rulings on legal arguments.

It is now being raised in front of the jury to cast doubt over the prosecution case, the honesty and integrity of the police officer and the complainant. From the press reports and without being there, the defence case seems to be being very well run.

There you go.
Thanks for the input.

Gareth67

First Grade
What was the DPP thinking taking this matter to court.
* Lying detectives
* Video of the victim together with the attackers after the alleged incident near a Wollongong night club
* Incorrect handling of witness testimony.
* Detectives that can't remember what they wrote in a case that has gone on 2 years.

No one comes out of this clean.
* Jack at best has serious morality issue to deal with.
* The Police look incompetent.
* The decision making on behalf of the DPP is well below what is expected of them.
* The NRL .... You know.

After reading Lynx 000 post it now obvious that this detective ‘ dealings ‘ and actual behavior in and out of the court leaves a lot to be desired . As you have said R.V.R. It certainly does put the police investigation in a bad light , more so the actual handling of police evidence .

I believe that most people wanted the truth of this sad occurrence to come out , so as not to leave any doubt as to their respective innocence or guilt . One of the parties must walk away from this with their head held high , with respectability restored to their good name .

However it now appears that will be a forlorn hope , partially due to the incompetence of the police investigation of the case .

Last edited:

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors

Trial hears tapes of 'rattled' de Belin
Luke Costin
18 November 2020, 3:43 pm
NRL star Jack de Belin told family he was rattled by a teenager's rape accusation and denied the woman had ever said "no" or "stop", a jury has heard.

A series of taped phone calls were played to the Wollongong District Court on Wednesday made in the days after a sexual encounter between the woman, the St George footballer and a second man in December 2018.

"I'm rattled," he told his sister Erica.

"It's so f***ed what she's gone in there and said (to police)."

He said it was consensual sex but the woman became "weird" afterwards before returning to "normal".

"She has not at one point said 'no', 'no, stop'," he said.

"The only time was at the end of it she got a little bit weird and said 'you've got a girlfriend'."

De Belin, 29, and Shell Cove man Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault in the bedroom of a North Wollongong unit in December.

The jury also heard the tape of the men discussing the rape accusation over the phone and how the footballer's legal advice was to not speak to the police.

"I'd rather just tell the truth, would you?" de Belin says.

"I'm not lying, we are telling the truth. It was consensual sex, she never got raped."

The men acknowledged they shouldn't be speaking about the case, with one saying "it's not like we're trying to get a story straight".

Sinclair then clarified with de Belin if he recalled taking a shower before the woman took her top off.

"I got nude and you start having sex with her first and I came in," the younger man said.

"Yes," de Belin said.

One then said the "best-case scenario" was that the police "realise she's lying".

In another call, the Dragons footballer tells his cousin he was telling the truth and said the situation was "so bullshit".

The woman has told the jury the NRL star undressed her and forced himself on top of her. He then made way for Sinclair and moved his groin to the then-teenager's head.

The men allegedly alternated positions as the woman went "dead and numb inside and just let it happen", the trial has heard.

"I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time," she said.

A tape was also played on Wednesday of Sinclair's conversation with his mother in which he says the woman "came back out with us and everything" after the alleged assault.

"If you were raped by someone, you wouldn't go out with them again, would you?" he says.

"I just can't believe it, Mum."

He explains de Belin had been charged but police were yet to talk to him.

"We've got nothing to hide," he said.

The trial continues.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/au....hears-tapes-rattled-belin-044313457--spt.html

Gardenia

Juniors
The officer should be charged with perjury. He has admitted to lying on the stand under oath.

Its getting very very complicated now. People admitting to lying or not remembering things left right and centre. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Its sad either way - I can see why the trial was delayed now. I'm beginning to believe we may never with absolute certainty know the truth. Either way I will respect the courts decision.

Gardenia

Juniors
After reading Lynx 000 post it now obvious that this detective ‘ dealings ‘ and actual behavior in and out of the court leaves a lot to be desired . As you have said R.V.R. It certainly does put the police investigation in a bad light , not to mention a black eye in the actual handling of police evidence .

I believe that most people wanted the truth of this sad occurrence to come out , so as not to leave any doubt as to their respective innocence or guilt . One of the parties must walk away from this with their head held high , with respectability restored to their good name .

However it now appears that will be a forlorn hope , partially due to the incompetence of the police investigation of the case .
That empty feeling when there is no closure

Gardenia

Juniors

Trial hears tapes of 'rattled' de Belin
Luke Costin
18 November 2020, 3:43 pm
NRL star Jack de Belin told family he was rattled by a teenager's rape accusation and denied the woman had ever said "no" or "stop", a jury has heard.

A series of taped phone calls were played to the Wollongong District Court on Wednesday made in the days after a sexual encounter between the woman, the St George footballer and a second man in December 2018.

"I'm rattled," he told his sister Erica.

"It's so f***ed what she's gone in there and said (to police)."

He said it was consensual sex but the woman became "weird" afterwards before returning to "normal".

"She has not at one point said 'no', 'no, stop'," he said.

"The only time was at the end of it she got a little bit weird and said 'you've got a girlfriend'."

De Belin, 29, and Shell Cove man Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault in the bedroom of a North Wollongong unit in December.

The jury also heard the tape of the men discussing the rape accusation over the phone and how the footballer's legal advice was to not speak to the police.

"I'd rather just tell the truth, would you?" de Belin says.

"I'm not lying, we are telling the truth. It was consensual sex, she never got raped."

The men acknowledged they shouldn't be speaking about the case, with one saying "it's not like we're trying to get a story straight".

Sinclair then clarified with de Belin if he recalled taking a shower before the woman took her top off.

"I got nude and you start having sex with her first and I came in," the younger man said.

"Yes," de Belin said.

One then said the "best-case scenario" was that the police "realise she's lying".

In another call, the Dragons footballer tells his cousin he was telling the truth and said the situation was "so bullshit".

The woman has told the jury the NRL star undressed her and forced himself on top of her. He then made way for Sinclair and moved his groin to the then-teenager's head.

The men allegedly alternated positions as the woman went "dead and numb inside and just let it happen", the trial has heard.

"I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time," she said.

A tape was also played on Wednesday of Sinclair's conversation with his mother in which he says the woman "came back out with us and everything" after the alleged assault.

"If you were raped by someone, you wouldn't go out with them again, would you?" he says.

"I just can't believe it, Mum."

"We've got nothing to hide," he said.

The trial continues.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/au....hears-tapes-rattled-belin-044313457--spt.html

now im really confused! didnt the flat mate say he saw debelin naked the girl naked and sinclair clothed?? this contradicts that

what is the saying - 3 sides to a story

one side
the other side
and the truth

blue bags

First Grade
'I just can't believe it mum': The phone call between Jack de Belin's co-accused friend and his mum moments after he learned the teenager he had sex with was accusing him of rape
  • Taped phone calls between Jack de Belin and Callan Sinclair have been revealed
  • Both men have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault
  • NRL star told his sister he was 'rattled' and a cousin the situation was 'so bulls**t'
  • Sinclair told his mother the woman 'came back out with us' after alleged assault
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 18:32 AEDT, 18 November 2020 | UPDATED: 21:18 AEDT, 18 November 2020
NRL star Jack de Belin told family he was rattled by a teenager's rape accusation and denied the woman had ever said 'no' or 'stop', a jury has heard.

'I'm rattled,' he told his sister Erica.

'It's so f**ked what she's gone in there and said (to police).'

He said it was consensual sex but the woman became 'weird' afterwards before returning to 'normal'.

'She has not at one point said 'no', 'no, stop',' he said.

'The only time was at the end of it she got a little bit weird and said 'you've got a girlfriend'.'

Taped phone calls between Jack de Belin, Callan Sinclair and their families have been revealed after they were accused of rape. Pictured: de Belin leaves Wollongong District Court on Wednesday

'I'd rather just tell the truth, would you?' de Belin says.

'I'm not lying, we are telling the truth. It was consensual sex, she never got raped.'
The men acknowledged they shouldn't be speaking about the case, with one saying 'it's not like we're trying to get a story straight'.

'I got nude and you start having sex with her first and I came in,' the younger man said.

'Yes,' de Belin said.

One then said the 'best-case scenario' was that the police 'realise she's lying'.
Jack de Belin (left) and friend Callan Sinclair (right) have pleaded not guilty to five charges of aggravated sexual assault

Jack de Belin abandons his appeal against NRL after being banned

In another call, the Dragons footballer tells his cousin he was telling the truth and said the situation was 'so bulls**t'.

The men allegedly alternated positions as the woman went 'dead and numb inside and just let it happen', the trial has heard.

'I just had tears out of my eyes the whole time,' she said.

A tape was also played on Wednesday of Sinclair's conversation with his mother in which he says the woman 'came back out with us and everything' after the alleged assault.

'If you were raped by someone, you wouldn't go out with them again, would you?' he says.

'I just can't believe it, Mum.'

'We've got nothing to hide,' he said.

The trial continues.
Sinclair (pictured outside Wollongong District Court) told his mother the woman 'came back out with us' after alleged assault

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tion-learning-teenager-sex-accusing-rape.html
Jack de Belin's reaction after learning the teenager he had sex with was accusing him of rape

Status
Not open for further replies.