What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I don't disagree entirely but the tactics currently being employed are working (i.e. selling out games) and even if the last few tickets are discounted to get rid of them, the overall revenue result is probably better. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be doing it that way.
The discounts are so heavy though, sometimes diamond ($300+) are sold for bronze ($70-80) prices or even $25 at ANZ. In past years 10k tickets have been firesold at suncorp and 30k at ANZ. The 300% increase within a year was too much, it should have been gradual, but not to this level. 2013 was priced well and then bam, families almost totally priced out in 2014.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
But it’s not working, the game is not sold out even with 2000 freebies.
There are tickets available in three categories, it’s such a short sighted view to try to extract every penny possible you want kids and your average punter to be able to attend games that’s where long term you will get the best ROI.

I am pretty sure that the pandemic has something to do with it this year. From memory (and I could be wrong), the ticket prices went up dramatically around 2012 / 2013... there hasn't been a slump in demand so I think they have shown over the last 7 or 8 years that Origin is worth that price tag and that interest for tickets haven't wained because of the price. It is the NRL's job to use their assets to maximise revenue for the good of the game.

It's just how economics works - at the $50 average price point there might be 200,000 willing and able to pay that for State of Origin tickets. At the $100 average price point that number night decrease to 150,000 people willing and able to pay to attend. At the $300 average price point, there might be 60,000 willing and able to pay. Until you hit the point where less than 50,000 are willing and able to pay to attend Origin at Suncorp then the price won't drop.

Obviously all the numbers in the above scenario are hypothetical because I don't have the data but it's how the principle works.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am pretty sure that the pandemic has something to do with it this year. From memory (and I could be wrong), the ticket prices went up dramatically around 2012 / 2013... there hasn't been a slump in demand so I think they have shown over the last 7 or 8 years that Origin is worth that price tag and that interest for tickets haven't wained because of the price. It is the NRL's job to use their assets to maximise revenue for the good of the game.

It's just how economics works - at the $50 average price point there might be 200,000 willing and able to pay that for State of Origin tickets. At the $100 average price point that number night decrease to 150,000 people willing and able to pay to attend. At the $300 average price point, there might be 60,000 willing and able to pay. Until you hit the point where less than 50,000 are willing and able to pay to attend Origin at Suncorp then the price won't drop.

Obviously all the numbers in the above scenario are hypothetical because I don't have the data but it's how the principle works.

You'd really have to know the metrics to make that judgement, and we dont. So if they sold 75% at full price and had to give away or massively undersell 25% of tickets then would they be better off selling 95% at a more reasonable price? None of us know but I guess the NRL arent dummies in the finance team so would know if this was the best pricing model for maximum revenue generation.
I guess in a city of 5mill you'd hope there would be 75k each year who would pay big ticket prices, at least while Origin is still so hyped and revered.
Having done it, as a neutral, I wouldn't be fussed to pay those prices again. I've been to better events for less money.

You are wrong mate, tickets aren’t sold out even with freebies and discounts and the pandemic is a non issue in QLD.

The game has struggled to sell out since the prices went up in 2013 it’s only been a last minute fire sale or freebies that have got them over 50k

How would you feel if the bloke beside you paid half of what you did because he bought his tickets on game day?

The prices are way too high the game is not sold out and shutting out the rank and file rugby league supporter is a very short sighted decision that affects the game long term with kids not being exposed and saying I’d love to play that game.

No one will ever convince me that ripping the fans off is good for the sport!

If a bloke like me who has been to over 400 NRL games can’t justify taking his family to the footy then something is wrong and it will affect the game’s popularity long term.

Generalzod

Immortal
You'd really have to know the metrics to make that judgement, and we dont. So if they sold 75% at full price and had to give away or massively undersell 25% of tickets then would they be better off selling 95% at a more reasonable price? None of us know but I guess the NRL arent dummies in the finance team so would know if this was the best pricing model for maximum revenue generation.
I guess in a city of 5mill you'd hope there would be 75k each year who would pay big ticket prices, at least while Origin is still so hyped and revered.
Having done it, as a neutral, I wouldn't be fussed to pay those prices again. I've been to better events for less money.
Yeah you got to know the metrics to make any judgement lol

Billythekid

First Grade
I don’t feel like arguing the point but I do think it’s important to find the right balance. Yes the NRL needs to somewhat maximise revenue but they’re also trying to grow the game and competing with an ever more aggressive AFL.

In my experience SOO tends to attract more casual league fans than say the GF and is a great way to get people more engaged with the game. Pricing these people out may seem enticing today but will have a negative impact long term IMO.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are wrong mate, tickets aren’t sold out even with freebies and discounts and the pandemic is a non issue in QLD.

The game has struggled to sell out since the prices went up in 2013 it’s only been a last minute fire sale or freebies that have got them over 50k

How would you feel if the bloke beside you paid half of what you did because he bought his tickets on game day?

The prices are way too high the game is not sold out and shutting out the rank and file rugby league supporter is a very short sighted decision that affects the game long term with kids not being exposed and saying I’d love to play that game.

Fear of the pandemic is certainly still an issue in Queensland (people not wanting to be in large crowds). The game selling out for the last 7 years under this pricing structure will show you that as the Pandemic is the only variable that has changed.

On the ticket pricing issue, it's economics, I'm not arguing with you - it's just how it is. Obviously it works because they are doing it and selling out Suncorp.