What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin III - QLD 20-14 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They need any but Freddie, can you tell me how you would come to a decision to leave out David Klemmer from the entire squad? I just don’t get it.

Good word is that he was carrying on all last campaign, kicking stones, throwing his toys out of the cot, backchatting the staff and disrupting everything . No matter how good a player is, if they carry on like that id happily bin them too.

The_Frog

First Grade
Clearly is a completely different type of player though, he doesn’t have the sort of running game that Munster has and can utilise when his forwards are on top. Clearly needs strike players around him to make things work.
About the size of it. Honestly I think he did reasonably well in the circumstances. He's not alone in needing a strong forward pack. Cook was innocuous in attack despite his defensive effort, and Walker was rarely sighted.

The_Frog

First Grade
Imagine you’re Nathan Clearly. On one side you have Yeo who’s playing out of position and Frizell who doesn’t even run anymore by the looks of it. The other other side you have Crichton, who played well and Wighton who couldn’t punch a hole through a paper bag. Then you have Gutherson out the back who tries hard but other then that isn’t very special. What is he meant to do? He has hardly any strike power to work with and his forward getting smashed doesn’t exactly help.
I'd give it to Yeo or Crichton and wonder what the f**k happened to Walker. Gutherson looks a bit like Elvis and has these moments when he's Superman, and they do call him King, so its easy to imagine he has special powers, they are enough to get him selected for NSW but they are few and far between and appear to be confined to his appearances in a blue and gold jersey.

Last edited:
Which separates good halves from the greats.

Great halves make things happen. Take charge, get their team going to follow them over the hill.

Good halves only look great when others around them are great.
Looking at the conditions he had to work with tonight, you would have expected him to make something happen with a forward pack that was smashed and dud’s outside you?

The_Frog

First Grade
Which separates good halves from the greats.

Great halves make things happen. Take charge, get their team going to follow them over the hill.

Good halves only look great when others around them are great.
I dunno about that. I've seen Andrew Johns outplayed when his forwards were dominated.

Chimp

Bench
In fantasy world, whichever team Cameron Munster plays for, wins - he is ridiculous when he’s on form like that.
Hate the 2 headed purple merkin, but jeez he’s great to watch. WHAT A PLAYER.

As for NSW, far too many passengers - both centres, both halves (Walker in particular), Haas, Jake T, Frizell....

Mega disappointed in Jake T and Frizell - both have had average years, Jake looks like the game is now too quick for him to be effective, and Frizell just looks anonymous.

blocka

Juniors
I think it was a penalty try but can also live with it not being one but how Kafusi isn’t binned is beyond a joke.

And what’s the point of being able to challenge to get the correct decision but then a scrum not being allowed to happen with 10 seconds left? wasn’t the whole point in the challenge system to stop the wrong decisions deciding the game?

Also Munster attacks Cleary on the ground and gets a penalty for it, WTF was that?

Arrow deserved to get smashed for what he did to Tedesco that was disgusting.

At the end of the day, I feel like the 6 agains qld got and the lack of ball we got forced NSW to panic which lead to lack of communication and consistency.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
You're more f**ked then Sutton is.

He was playing behind a pack which got demolished with no field position or posession. A halves job depends largely on those areas and he still managed to have an impact on the game despite being pumped in those key areas.

What impact did any of the players you listed have? Nathan was comfortably the best in a losing team and minimised the damage dramatically both defensively (he saved a lot of tries) and offensively.

No half in the competition could have done better in those circumstances. QLDs best didn't even do better in a dominant side ffs. Game1 there was a case for Cleary going missing in a badly beaten team. But Game 3 he was the only reason they had a sniff at all. Trying to blame blues best player for losing just doesn't make sense when there's a dozen players who didn't do shit you can blame

Cleary gets all the credit when the blues win so it’s only fair he takes a fair chunk of the blame when they lose.

Decision making was ordinary under pressure, case in point being the grubber on the 3rd tackle with about 90 secs left on the clock.

mongoose

Coach
Haas is still 20 and needs time, it was stupid of Freddie to pick 3 players inexperienced SOO players in the front row, especially with 2 of them being so young.

Wighton just can’t play centre effectively. He’s not fast or strong enough. I would have had Latrell back this year without any question if he was available, he’s a player that you can pass the ball and you know he’s almost always going to beat the 1st tackler if it’s 1 v 1. How many other players provide that sort of strike power?

lol Wighton is pound for pound one of the strongest players in the game, he puts hits on front rowers