What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random International News

Pacifique Treize Managing Director, Zach Davis-Hancock, will join representatives from the 2024 Paris Olympics & Paralympics Games and the Australian Grand Prix as panelists at the 2020 French-ANZ Business Days Conference this week.

The Virtual Conference, which is hosted by the French Australian Chamber of Commerce (FACCI), will welcome more than 1,500 participants representing a number of major Australian, New Zealand and French organisations over four days with a series of international speakers and panelists.

Zach Davis-Hancock will join Carole Colin Kjaer, Commercial Strategy Director of the 2024 Paris Olympics & Paralympics Games, Andrew Westacott, CEO of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation and Christophe Mallet, Executive Producer at SBS, to discuss ‘are cities ready for international events?’

The Panel discussion will take place on Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 14:30 (AEDT).
https://pacifique13.com/en/2020/11/...-in-2020-french-anz-business-days-conference/

The Australian Government’s continued support for the development of sport across the Pacific received a significant boost today when the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) officially opened the new PacificAus Sports Regional Hub in Apia, Samoa today.

Australian Foreign Minister, the Hon. Marise Payne, and the Prime Minister of Samoa, the Hon. Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, officially launched the new hub that will deliver the PacificAus Sports High Performance activities from 2020 to 2023, including providing supporting training and competition for Pacific athletes, teams and sports administrators.

The PacificAus Sports program is an initiative of DFAT’s Sports Diplomacy 2030 and Australia’s Pacific Step-Up programmes and is focused on:

• develop pathways for Pacific teams to play in high-level Australian sporting competitions
  • support Australian teams to increase their presence and participation in the Pacific, and
  • create pathways for emerging Pacific athletes to benefit from high performance coaching and training.
The PacificAus Sports program operates across a number of sports, including Rugby League and will work across all Pacific countries, with a special focus on driving sports engagement in the Pacifique Treize territories of the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.

The program complements DFAT’s existing Pacific sports for development program focussed on grassroots development outcomes in sport.

https://pacifique13.com/en/2020/11/05/australian-government-launches-pacific-sports-hub/

Samoa_Country_map.png

Blues on the left maroons on the right

Coastbloke

Bench
The Cheika story has been largely ignored in Australian mainstream media..More definitive proof, that IRL is hated by the regular c***sucking journos still bleating over Origin

yakstorm

First Grade
The Cheika story has been largely ignored in Australian mainstream media..More definitive proof, that IRL is hated by the regular c***sucking journos still bleating over Origin

The Daily Telegraph were the ones who broke the story and it has since had coverage on Fox Sports, Nine, Seven and SMH.

It was one of the lead sports stories on News.com.au and SMH websites last week as well.

Sure we'd all love more coverage of IRL, but this story, I felt, got a pretty good run.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They don't hate internationals, they just don't think it will push as many papers as SOO, and going on current evidence that's undeniably true.

Coastbloke

Bench
The Daily Telegraph were the ones who broke the story and it has since had coverage on Fox Sports, Nine, Seven and SMH.

It was one of the lead sports stories on News.com.au and SMH websites last week as well.

Sure we'd all love more coverage of IRL, but this story, I felt, got a pretty good run.

The DT is where I first saw it. Fox League did mention too. As for the others, well I usually spend a hour in the morning with a coffee going through the News sites, and I don't recall it...

yakstorm

First Grade
https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2020/...ugby-league-indias-first-tournament-for-2020/

Kolkata hosts Rugby League India’s first tournament for 2020

The newly established Rugby League India has successfully held its first Rugby League tournament for 2020 in the city of Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) over the weekend.

The event extended on Rugby League India’s Jackals Academy program which has been working on introducing Rugby League basics to Boys and Girls across the sub-continent. Sunday’s event saw players from across Kolkata and wider West Bengal take part in the four team tournament.

Supported by the Australian High Commission in India, former NSW Premier and current High Commissioner to India and Ambassador to Bhutan, Barry O’Farrell, was on hand to present awards to the winners.

Rugby League India was established in early 2020 to help with the development of Rugby League across the nation. The Federation has member League’s in West Bengal, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Jammu & Kashmir.

yakstorm

First Grade
https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2020/12/24/south-ikebukuro-rabbitohs-launch-japans-first-junior-teams/

South Ikebukuro Rabbitohs launch Japan’s first Junior teams

In a boost to the continued growth of Rugby League in Japan, the Tokyo based South Ikebukuro Rabbitohs have formed the region’s first Junior Age teams.

Located in the Toshima City ward in northern Tokyo, the Rabbitohs and Japanese Rugby League have been working in partnership to help establish pathways for the youth in the region to learn Rugby League, holding regular development clinics aimed at Primary and Secondary School students.

Now 18 months in, participants from the programme are able to progress to join the South Ikebukuro Rabbitohs new Under 12s and Under 15s teams, as steps are taken to establish Junior competitions in the Japanese capital.

https://www.totalrl.com/catalans-in...-introduce-super-leagues-tallest-squad-member

The rejuvenation of an ageing pack at Catalans Dragons is a tall order, but coach Steve McNamara has made the best possible start by promoting the game’s tallest-ever player.

The recent departure of seven senior first-teamers from Stade Gilbert Brutus has created room for younger French players in the squad and one of those positions has been taken up by 21-year-old Corentin Le Cam who, at six-foot NINE, is reputedly the tallest professional Rugby League player in history.

McNamara said: “We gave Corentin a full-time contract in June and although he hasn’t played first-grade yet because of last year’s shortened season, he will be knocking on the door next term.

“His size is a real asset, but it also represents a challenge to a coach because he is so physically different to everyone else on the pitch. But he’s got a great Rugby League brain and comes from a rich pedigree in the game through his family. He’s a great kid.”

The responsibility for developing younger players at the club is now in the hands of former Dragons’ record-breaking try-scoring winger Justin Murphy, who has taken over as coach of the club’s reserve team St Estève XIII Catalan.

The 42-year-old Australian scored 54 tries in 66 games during a dazzling three-season stint in Perpignan from 2006-08. After returning to Australia, he came back to France last year to take up the coaching reins at Toulon Metropole in the Elite Two division and now the Dragons’ reserves in Elite One.

Murphy told League Express: “The Catalans cub has always remained close to me, it’s in my heart, I spent some good times here and I’ve always wanted to come back and give something back to the younger generation.”

Murphy is assisted in his new role by fellow Aussie and former Dragon Greg Bird.

“Birdy’s been great,” said Murphy, adding: “He’s recently been playing the game and with his experience of Rugby League at the very top he’s really good for the kids. He’s played for New South Wales in Origin and he’s played in World Cups, so to have someone like that for young players to learn from is really good.”

The Dragons abandoned their Academy team two years ago and decided to incorporate their teenage talent into the reserves, making St Estève XIII Catalan the youngest side in the French Elite One division. As current champions, it’s fair to say that the squad contains the nucleus of future French talent in Rugby League.

Murphy said, “The talent is there, but it needs to be identified and nurtured within the right system.

“We’ve got a young guy here from Limoux, he’s just turned 19 and he’s already spent some time at Melbourne Storm. His name’s César Rougé, he’s a halfback and he’s tough, he’s got the skills and he’s a great defender but the best thing about him is he is coachable.

“He wants to learn and he listens; you don’t have to tell him things twice, he’s a quick learner. We’ve got some really good young forwards too who are in great shape, they just need to learn the mental side of the game.

“To play against quality opposition is important for us and there is lots of experience in Elite One. Some teams have packs made up almost entirely of ex Super League or NRL players, so for our young guys it is a massive challenge, but it’s a great opportunity.”

Murphy said there have been big changes since he last strode out at the Brutus, adding: “The club is really different from when I first arrived. They are so professional now in everything that they do. The French players have now had the benefit over the years of knowing what it takes to play at that level.

“When I first started the French boys hadn’t much experience of what it takes to be a professional Rugby League player.

“At that time some of the French players combined playing with a job outside of the game, but everything is ultra-professional now, from the head coach Steve McNamara right down to the reserves and juniors.

“I’d never met Steve before, but I was obviously aware of his career in the UK and down under as a club and international coach. When I first met him recently he really impressed me with his vision of what he wants to do here.

“There are still some familiar faces at the club, Alex Chan, the general manager, he’s there keeping people in line and making sure people don’t get ahead of themselves.

“He’s a very important figure at the Brutus. He’s got the passion, he understands where the club has come from and he’s installing some of the values he had as a player into the younger faces at the club. I’ve always kept in contact with Alex; it was good to have him on the field and it’s good to have him on the staff now.”
Murphy’s also on the staff now and his role is clear: “Our main aim is to turn these young French kids into quality Super League players.

“This region of France is a Rugby League heartland and it’s important that the Catalans club goes out there, finds the players, and develops them. Hopefully we can find some from the other regions of France too, because around Avignon and Marseille there are some really good players.

“I enjoy looking for the young people and emerging talent and give them the opportunities. It’s up to them to see how they handle it.”

yakstorm

First Grade
Some encouraging news in that story, good to see at least parts of the Catalans club are focused on identifying and developing local French talent