What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Personally i don't think its needed at all, it will never get to be used at capacity, only maybe the wallabies will get to use it for close to capacity, no one else, Sydney FC maybe, if theres like a exhibition against an EPL team, but then you'd go to homebush, roosters won't fill it, best theyll do is about a third on average, waste of money really, only time it'll get used properly is for NRL finals, if a sydney team opts to play there instead of ANZ, but logistically useless stadium, built in the CBD where no one cares for, seriously whats wrong with the SCG for chooks home games, and Souths won't play at the new SFS so why bother?

It makes sense if this was a one club town, like Melbourne, or Cowboys, Canberra etc, but we got 9 in Sydney, that money should have built liverpool or the new proposed upgrades instead, building stadiums in areas people actually live. Not the CBD.
It'll look so empty every game, maybe worse than a homebush game

I don't totally disagree with you. But depending on form it could pull huge crowds for ANZAC day games too. It would surely become the preferred outdoor concert venue with that capacity.

Wouldn't Moore park be able to develop a vibe? Similar to what Suncorp has in Brisbane, it is amazing with Caxton St and Given Tce, pubs, bars and restaurants everywhere. Homebush is literally a dive with no vibe at all pre and post game, IMO.

I suppose 60k would really turn ANZ into the white elephant that it was destined to be.

MugaB

Coach
I don't totally disagree with you. But depending on form it could pull huge crowds for ANZAC day games too. It would surely become the preferred outdoor concert venue with that capacity.

Wouldn't Moore park be able to develop a vibe? Similar to what Suncorp has in Brisbane, it is amazing with Caxton St and Given Tce, pubs, bars and restaurants everywhere. Homebush is literally a dive with no vibe at all pre and post game, IMO.

I suppose 60k would really turn ANZ into the white elephant that it was destined to be.
Nope, only coz ANZAC day is generally played at SCG, and in comparing Suncorp to Moore park where Brisbane only has one club in that city, which drives all towards it, Sydney has the 9, and even if Sydney only had the 1 club, surely I wouldn't be supporting the Roosters (bunch of toffs)
I could see the bunnies draw that Suncorp crowd, if they were the only city team tho, no one else tho

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Nope, only coz ANZAC day is generally played at SCG, and in comparing Suncorp to Moore park where Brisbane only has one club in that city, which drives all towards it, Sydney has the 9, and even if Sydney only had the 1 club, surely I wouldn't be supporting the Roosters (bunch of toffs)
I could see the bunnies draw that Suncorp crowd, if they were the only city team tho, no one else tho
ANZAC day was at the SFS prior to demolition though.

The fact that Brisbane is a one team city is not the argument here. The argument is that surely there are more things to do before and after when attending an event at the SFS (new SFS) in comparison to the boring experience of ANZ. And that for games at suncorp, regardless of what they are or how many teams play there, there is lots to do.

MugaB

Coach
ANZAC day was at the SFS prior to demolition though.

The fact that Brisbane is a one team city is not the argument here. The argument is that surely there are more things to do before and after when attending an event at the SFS (new SFS) in comparison to the boring experience of ANZ. And that for games at suncorp, regardless of what they are or how many teams play there, there is lots to do.
Oh yeah my bad, for some reason i always thought it was SCG, must have been coz of the rebuild like you said, as far as the before and after party, moore park itself has minimal pubs unless you walk down to Surrey hills area and there's a long street full of old school pubs, but SFS only has fox studios/hayden pavillion there, not the same vibe as caxton street, Newcastle on the other hand has that same caxton street vibe with Beaumont street, unfortunately from the SFS you'd have to travel to get to anything like this, there is a disconnection between big staduims and local pubs, leichardt has darling street, penrith and parra has the leagues clubs, not sure about manly..
SfS has fox studios.... yay!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally i don't think its needed at all, it will never get to be used at capacity, only maybe the wallabies will get to use it for close to capacity, no one else, Sydney FC maybe, if theres like a exhibition against an EPL team, but then you'd go to homebush, roosters won't fill it, best theyll do is about a third on average, waste of money really, only time it'll get used properly is for NRL finals, if a sydney team opts to play there instead of ANZ, but logistically useless stadium, built in the CBD where no one cares for, seriously whats wrong with the SCG for chooks home games, and Souths won't play at the new SFS so why bother?

It makes sense if this was a one club town, like Melbourne, or Cowboys, Canberra etc, but we got 9 in Sydney, that money should have built liverpool or the new proposed upgrades instead, building stadiums in areas people actually live. Not the CBD.

Sydney needs to be the home of a national rectangular stadium. Building SFS to 70k would have delivered that. Then they could have got rid of ANZ and used the rest of the money building another two Bankwest sized stadiums for Southern Sydney and SW Sydney. Anything left over tarted up the suburban grounds of Penrith and Manly. Sadly that ship sailed with a lack of vision and foresight from the NSW Govt and NRL.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sydney needs to be the home of a national rectangular stadium. Building SFS to 70k would have delivered that.

I'm not sure how many times it has to be mentioned, but there was never enough room to build a 70000 seat stadium there. It not even worth speculating about it and discussing it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not sure how many times it has to be mentioned, but there was never enough room to build a 70000 seat stadium there. It not even worth speculating about it and discussing it.

find that hard to believe, the land area doesn’t look much different to old Trafford and they managed to expand that to 76k.

ash the bash

Juniors
find that hard to believe, the land area doesn’t look much different to old Trafford and they managed to expand that to 76k.

The original plan favoured by Dave Smith was for a 70K stadium build over Kippax lake across the road from the SFS. The NRL even contributed to a feasibility study for the site. If I recall correctly it was going to be based on the 49's stadium NFL. However it was not on SCG trust land and I think it was the Centennial park trust or something was against it. If you look at the pedestrian bridge over Anzac parade the end on eastern side was meant to lead right to this stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
SFS update.
Click on image for full size.

FH38jhv.jpg

nb3XLOc.jpg

yeah the 65 to 70K seat .. new main rectangle venue to replace ANZ was to be built across the road from the SFS at Kippax lake ... it looked perfect .. all the new light rail infrastructure was to service it so easily accessed from central

but it got shouted down.

simply not enough room on the present sfs site for anything bigger then the present 42K venue being built

T-Boon

Coach

The worst part of it is the SFS was fine. It was already a great stadium to watch rectangular sport.

T-Boon

Coach
built in the CBD where no one cares for, seriously whats wrong with the SCG for chooks home games, and Souths won't play at the new SFS so why bother?

The NRL should step in and make Souths play at the new stadium or get a new team in to represent south sydney in the new stadium.
Souths staying at ANZ would be the stupidest club decision ever.

The NRL should step in and make Souths play at the new stadium or get a new team in to represent south sydney in the new stadium.
Souths staying at ANZ would be the stupidest club decision ever.
aren't souths supposed to have more fans west of the anzac bridge these days ??

Diesel

Referee
Previous governments and sporting organisations/administrations have been weak against the AFL machine for a number of reasons, including appointing AFL people to stadium or sports roles in Sydney, multiple grants, handouts and whatever else that has caused a clusterf**k that we now call ANZ Stadium.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Previous governments and sporting organisations/administrations have been weak against the AFL machine for a number of reasons, including appointing AFL people to stadium or sports roles in Sydney, multiple grants, handouts and whatever else that has caused a clusterf**k that we now call ANZ Stadium.
Yes, hard to believe it only took $1m from the AFL to make it oval post Olympics and sh*t for Rugby League. It is also a sh*t shape for AFL. If you try to please all, you usually please none.

That will change once they start playing at the new SFS. Crowds will go up significantly.
id doubt it , sydneysiders won't travel too far for club games regardless of where they're played , if a lot of souths demographics have moved west over the last 40 to 50 years away from maroubra , mascot , kensington , surry hills, alexandria ..then the sfs is not the place they should be playing at

Latest posts