What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Down by 8 and go for two tactic.

davi

Juniors
If I was NSW I would have gone for the two. If they went for the try and failed then that's it game over. There heads would slumped thinking 'Gee why didn't we take the two'.

The_Frog

First Grade
The halfback was just as bad.
You're right. He needed to kick a few more 40/20s. It was the only way NSW were getting into an attacking position.

oh and picking Nathan Brown on the bench lol

12 minutes he got. You can hardly blame him for the loss although his place could have gone to a genuine utility, except NSW didn't have one of those. At least he had a reasonable year at club level, unlike Haas, Frizzell, Trebojevic and so on.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
You're right. He needed to kick a few more 40/20s. It was the only way NSW were getting into an attacking position.

12 minutes he got. You can hardly blame him for the loss although his place could have gone to a genuine utility, except NSW didn't have one of those. At least he had a reasonable year at club level, unlike Haas, Frizzell, Trebojevic and so on.

No he needed to show an ounce of attacking ability that wasn't some bomb to the fullback or an inside ball! The only time NSW looked fluent was Tupou's try and Cleary didn't touch the ball, funny that.

Paps would have been better on the bench, brown was such a useless bench player.

big hit!

Bench
There’s no right or wrong answer but in that case I thought the blues had the field position and momentum to go for a try. However their halves weren’t playing with enough composure to lay on a try anyway so as Gus would say the point is mute (he means moot).

In the last couple or so sets, Cleary was twice tackled with the ball on 4th or 5th tackles when NSW needed him directing play on the following PTB. Their attack was aimless and that's on him.

Freddy also needs to respect the centre position. I know he started out there in grade before moving to halves and spent time at lock which was a different position back then. Centres are OB's but he treats the position as anything but!

Rubbish decision. 8 minutes to go, you need 8 points - you have to score at some stage. You're 10-15m out from their line. You can't guarantee you're going to end up with that sort of field position again if they kick long and you can't get down the field far enough. You have to back yourself while you're down there.

Yes they would've tied it up if not for the most flagrant professional foul of all time, but it was still a dumb decision.
Go back look at Addo-Carr's illegal body check on Munster who was not in possession of the ball in the 22nd minute 5 metres out from the Blues try line. No penalty blown. At the very least QLD were denied a penalty shot at goal.

QLD getting away with the same thing is simply karma. Suck it up New South Wails.

typicalfan

Coach
If I was NSW I would have gone for the two. If they went for the try and failed then that's it game over. There heads would slumped thinking 'Gee why didn't we take the two'.
This, take the game as deep as possible and test the other teams composure. It was a close thing in the end.

This, take the game as deep as possible and test the other teams composure. It was a close thing in the end.
How is it close when the only NSW points for 65 minutes were totally due to two QLD errors. Allen dropping a catch and Daly not grounding the ball. If Allen catches the ball it is a shithouse kick which gifts QLD possession, field position and restarts the tackle count for QLD . If Daly grounds the ball, at best the tackle count restarts to give 6 more tackles for the Blues or the Blues take a shot at penalty goal. Neither scenario awards a guaranteed try. The awarded try came about by QLD error only. It was not a great kick. QLD error salvaged a shit kick.

Not exactly what one could call strategic.

The mistake Allen made was coincidentally successful for NSW. Hardly the result of a great kick. More to the point it took NSW 65 minutes to engineer points on the board which weren't largely attributable to a QLD mistake as opposed to the flawless precision of NSW.

For 65 minutes if it wasn't gifted by QLD, you guys couldn't attain points. NSW were totally dominated by QLD and only QLD error made you look like you were competitive.

Last edited: