What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin III - QLD 20-14 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soc123_au

Staff member
That makes no sense.

The 95 QRL side was decimated by not being able to select SL players
I got it the wrong way around. The point was that the QLD squad was settled on what side of the fence they were on. It's not why NSW lost though.

johns_reds

First Grade
Did he f**k those tik tok slugs?
The only thing he f**ked was his reputation when he lied about it and almost derailed the season he apparently starred in.
Wasn’t one of those 5 bitches his sister, hope he didn’t f**k them all :joy:

Tupou getting way too much of a free pass. One of the worst on the field in game 1 and gave QLD their winning try. Great game 2. Ordinary tonight and had a terrible handling error for qlds second try. You expect an origin winger to clean up munsters 2nd kick.

Don't rate him in the slightest. Ferguson in average form would still be far better than him

Canard

Immortal
I got it the wrong way around. The point was that the QLD squad was settled on what side of the fence they were on. It's not why NSW lost though.

NSW was exactly the same, the ARL at the time refused to allow and SL players to be selected in either side.

It affected QLD far more in terms of depth than NSW.

84 Baby

Referee
Nrl.com ratings
7. Nathan Cleary: Defended strongly in the first half and produced a superb 40-20 kick in the 30th minute but the Blues lacked polish in the second term and the No.7 couldn't pull the game out of the fire. 6.5
On last nights effort, Big Game Chin couldn’t pull himself even if he was surrounded by a Covid isolation house full of gagging groupies

Don't rate him in the slightest. Ferguson in average form would still be far better than him
I know his form wasn’t the best this year but he basically won them the series last year. Fitler should have shown some loyalty, Queensland during their reign picked player that were not in form all the time and look at how that worked out.

I’d expect a great halfback to take control of his troops, get them on the same page, and lead them out of the hole they are in. “Forwards - get rolling, you next, you next. Backs, follow me, this play that play, get me to this spot and I’ll ... “.

But Cleary isn’t a great halfback. He may well become one in time (I hope he does) and he’s the best we’ve got. But while I was hoping he’d rally the team, I didn’t expect he could. And sadly for NSW he didn’t. And to rate that performance a 7.5 out of ten...

Pearce is the most maligned NSW halfback in history. He played against the best teams in Origin history. He lost all series, 2-1 mostly. Apart from last year when he took over from....

Cleary has just lost 2-1 to the worst Qld team in history. In 8 games he has had one standout performance, his 7th game last week which was the first time he set up a try.. amongst other concerning stats.

Great halfbacks can drag their team out of a hole. Sadly there are no true great halfbacks in the current game. Cherry Evans would be the closest.

There were many poor performances last night but Clearys is the most glaring because he’s the halfback, the captain, and the guy you look to when the chips are down with the series on the line.

That said, it’s been the toughest of seasons for all NRL players. The guys who played last night were in the bubbles for the longest. All of them deserve a thanks for playing a season we thought not possible back in April. They’ve all earned a break.
So how many halves do you know of managed to win the series all by themselves? Jonathan Thurston during Queensland’s long reign didn’t have the best forwards to deal with but the difference was he had Cronk or Lockyer next to him, Smith passing him the ball, with Inglis and Slater that he could pass the ball to anytime. In comparison Cleary had Wighton, Yeo and Gutherson.

Reflector

Juniors
Pearce is the most maligned NSW halfback in history. He played against the best teams in Origin history. He lost all series, 2-1 mostly. Apart from last year when he took over from....

Cleary has just lost 2-1 to the worst Qld team in history. In 8 games he has had one standout performance, his 7th game last week which was the first time he set up a try.. amongst other concerning stats.

Great halfbacks can drag their team out of a hole. Sadly there are no true great halfbacks in the current game. Cherry Evans would be the closest.

You can't just look at series results to deem someone's ability or not though. This year's series winning coach lost his first four consecutive games coaching Origin. Phil Gould was in charge of a NSW side that got swept against a team coached by Paul f**king Vautin. It wasn't that Pearce played in losing teams, it was how he played. Think that infamous gif of him murdering a 3-man overlap that cost NSW a certain try (and the series). Think his kicking game, more predictable than guessing the Wiggles wardrobe. Cleary (to date) has had a bigger and more positive influence on the NSW team than Pearce ever had and it had zero to do with who Qld ran out. Cleary is still 23.

As for the "worst Qld team in history", I'd argue the 2000 team was worse. Maybe not worse on paper, but they played worse. They failed to turn up and keep the series alive at Lang Park, then got routed 56-16 with pride on the line. It was a heartless effort, even if they had the likes of Tallis and Lockyer in the team (interestingly, Darren was the same age as Cleary is now- but more on Locky in a sec). The worst ever NSW team I've seen was the 2010 squad. You want to see what a Craig Bellamy team looks like without his Qld stars to elevate his reputation, there it was in all it's uninspiring grubbiness.

You talk about great halfbacks dragging their team out of a hole, but JT often couldn't turn it around on his own when playing behind beaten Cowboys or Maroons packs. On the subject of halves, Lockyer was in his late 20's when the Qld selectors told him his days were numbered if he didn't step up- which he did in champion fashion. You're comparing DCE, a guy with 10+ years NRL experience to Nathan, who is still just 23 years old.

stryker

First Grade
For me, we miss a real coach. Like Gus.
Gus isn’t a real coach mate.
He coached when he had most of the game’s best players at his disposal, accepted all the praise whilst riding those immense coat tails, then ran and hid like a bitch when they all retired and the decade of dominance begun.
If he was a real coach he would have tried to halt that run as Bennett just did.
Now there is a REAL coach. What he achieved this past month will be remembered for a long time.

Reflector

Juniors
Has anybody had a more enjoyable season than Wayne Bennett?

- Sees his team put 60 points on the reigning Premiers
- Guides his team (with Latrell gone for the season) to within a week of the GF
- Watches his old team implode
- Indirectly hands his old team their first wooden spoon
- Finishes his year coaching an Origin victory, having praise heaped upon him and going home to bang a MILF

stryker

First Grade
Has anybody had a more enjoyable season than Wayne Bennett?

- Sees his team put 60 points on the reigning Premiers
- Guides his team (with Latrell gone for the season) to within a week of the GF
- Watches his old team implode
- Indirectly hands his old team their first wooden spoon
- Finishes his year coaching an Origin victory, having praise heaped upon him and going home to bang a MILF
Lol deserves a knighthood

King hit

Coach
Gus isn’t a real coach mate.
He coached when he had most of the game’s best players at his disposal, accepted all the praise whilst riding those immense coat tails, then ran and hid like a bitch when they all retired and the decade of dominance begun.
If he was a real coach he would have tried to halt that run as Bennett just did.
Now there is a REAL coach. What he achieved this past month will be remembered for a long time.
Mate Gould took the Roosters from a club on deaths door to one of the strongest clubs in the game. Won a premiership in his first year and won Penriths first.

stop telling lies

Latest posts