What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2020

billygilmore

Juniors
Nope not a NSW thing, I never claimed it was. Nor have we had any ex players bang on about selectors being loyal ad nauseam or brag about it being embedded in our culture and a main reason for any success we’ve had. We have a long history of selecting then dropping players, along with continually selecting players that should have been dropped. You’ve obviously missed the irony in my original post.

I suggest you go by what you see, not by what dumbass ex players or selectors say

davi

Juniors
Great win from Queensland. But it will be interesting how they mesh the New Queenslanders with regulars next year. Some of them who usually expect to get a spot ( Kalyn Ponga, Michael Morgan, Corey Oates, Moses Mbye, Dylan Napa, David Fifita) maybe looking over their shoulders next year.

Don't under estimate the meshing because it can be some what difficult. I know when coach Paul Vautin produced a shock series win in 1995, and then he had the ARL and Superleague players back together in 1996. There was a bit of rift in the camp with two clicks the 'Broncos players' and the 'ARL players'. Robbie O'Davis suggested the spirit wasn't in the camp like there was the previous year.

However, the circumstances were probably different. But I do expect players will be rewarded with selection next year from the series win they produced. How many get selected will be interesting, because the Queensland loyalty policy may get tested with some of the more established names that were out this year comeback healthy and in form.

Big Pete

Referee
An unbelievable win considering the circumstances.

None of the Queensland based teams qualified for the finals, the squad was decimated by injury and Bennett only became the head coach weeks out from the series.

Bennett's arrival was key.

Instead of picking whatever was available from the initial 33 man squad, Bennett brought in a mixture of senior players, form players and prospects that just needed an opportunity. He wasn't afraid to make a bold decision like leaving McGuire out in favour of a younger generation of Maroons.

While Josh was certainly hard done by, his absence gave players like Fa'asuamaleaui and Collins a bigger role and those two players were shining lights for the Maroons. Collins in particular had to have been in the running for Man of the Series.

The win in Adelaide was massive for Queensland. It was always going to be a challenge to see how both camps would approach this series and while they found themselves behind early Queensland, they made the right adjustments and scored one of their finest wins. On that occassion, it was the centre combination of Capewell and Gagai that stole the show. Capewell who historically struggled at club level in this position saved his best performance for the Queensland jersey, getting the better of his opposite and putting in an audacious kick for Brimson who managed to beat a host of Blues players to the ball. After Gagai set up Coates, the Blues succumbed to the pressure with Tupou virtually handing Cameron Munster the game.

I said after Game II that Queensland didn't have an Alfie, what I neglected to mention is that they lost his offsider Cameron Munster in the opening minutes. While Queensland may have struggled to have won Game II regardless, his absence gave the Maroons some much needed confidence headed into Game III. Bennett was at his best here, sitting down having a bottle of soft drink with his players and getting their minds on the decider.

Queensland saved their best for last. With Cameron Munster and Christian Welch back, the Maroons lifted and played out of their skins. Josh Papalii who was largely put on ice in Game II led the forward pack brilliantly and Holmes' switch to the wing got the Maroons out of their red zone.

Bennett produced his best play of the series when he injected Harry Grant into the game. There was a lot of disappointment that Bennett didn't hand Harry his debut in Game I, but Harry's injection proved crucial and when he crashed over to give Queensland a 14 point buffer it gave Queensland the breathing room they needed.

The Blues to their credit hung on and made Queensland fight until the bitter end. Queensland to their credit kept the Blues at an arm's distance and didn't allow themselves to rue the missed opportunities earlier in the game.

Cameron Munster produced his best performance since his Origin debut in 2017. He was constantly in the game making life difficult for the Blues in attack and defence. His work in the lead up to the Edrick Lee try was pivotal and he well and truly put his name alongside the great Queensland five-eighths like Lewis, Thurston and Lockyer.

This will go down as one of the all-time great Origin victories - right up there with 1995 and 2001.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Gotta give Bennett a bit of extra credit for adjusting in the second half as well. He obviously really rates Friend highly and when he came back on in the second half, Bennett had Friend at dummy half and Grant playing as a lock which really put a hand brake on our attack. But Bennett saw it pretty quickly and switched it back to Grant at dummy half with Friend reverting to lock.

So many coaches make a decision and stubbornly stick to it but Bennett fixed what wasn't working straight away.

billygilmore

Juniors
Great win from Queensland. But it will be interesting how they mesh the New Queenslanders with regulars next year. Some of them who usually expect to get a spot ( Kalyn Ponga, Michael Morgan, Corey Oates, Moses Mbye, Dylan Napa, David Fifita) maybe looking over their shoulders next year.

I really think only Fifita is walk up start out that mob, probably Ponga as well I suppose but I'm not totally sold on him like everyone else seems to be.

The rest of them, surely you're taking the piss, Morgan has been irrelevant since he got the cowboys to the GF a few years ago and the rest should never played a game in the first place

lockyno1

Post Whore
I really think only Fifita is walk up start out that mob, probably Ponga as well I suppose but I'm not totally sold on him like everyone else seems to be.

The rest of them, surely you're taking the piss, Morgan has been irrelevant since he got the cowboys to the GF a few years ago and the rest should never played a game in the first place

Brimson seems more of an Origin style fullback if you get my drift. Fifita would be the only certainty probably for Sua'a

myrrh ken

First Grade
Pick and stick surely? They've created a rod for their own back with that Qld loyalty bullshit of years past.

I'd def pick brimson over ponga at fb. But they will have to deal with the Nein wank machine.

I was sceptical with having grant and friend but that worked well. Friend will be a bit older though and the Nein wank over grant is just starting. I mean he gets a series rating of 8.5 compared to Cedric Lee 4 :rolling_eyes:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/e5dc781dce2511c961ecc270fb427416

gUt

Coach
Depends on form and this year Brimson walks into fullback in front of Ponga for sure. Going forward, Ponga is more versatile and I would be happy to see him anywhere from 1-5 or even 14.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

My assessment exactly.

Ponga has work to do, mainly in attitude. I'm not convinced he is the right fit for Queensland as it is all about 'brand Ponga' with him. Queensland don't need the distraction of his ego.

Also, when the chips are down I don't think he has the fight in him.

davi

Juniors
Wayne Bennett may not come back next year. It's easy to be outraged over this potential decision after the teams success, but I can see the QRL's logic. Next years state of origin will be in the middle of the season and Bennett will be forced to juggle both Souths and the Queensland job. Bennett has advised he is even not even sure if he wants to do that despite the players overwhelming support. QRL likes the formula they have had previously of being a full time job. Bennett being 'axed' is a little melodramatic.

The Queensland Rugby League has dropped a bombshell by ordering a wide-ranging review of their Origin program which could lead to the axing of their triumphant coach Wayne Bennett.

The Courier-Mail can reveal a specially-convened taskforce has been created to analyse all aspects of Queensland’s Origin system, including whether Bennett can juggle dual roles as Souths and Maroons coach next season.

Bennett answered an SOS from the Maroons last month after his Origin predecessor Kevin Walters successfully clinched the Broncos coaching post and the 70-year-old was only expected to serve for the COVID-affected 2020 series.
But the super coach’s Mission Impossible task, toppling the Blues with a record 14 Origin debutants, has sparked a tidal wave of support with Maroons stars calling for Bennett to be retained for their 2021 campaign.

State of Origin’s return to its traditional winter timeslot next season has raised concerns over Bennett’s ability to concurrently take charge of the Maroons for six weeks without derailing South Sydney’s premiership ambitions.

“We are bringing people in externally and we will have three directors who will review the whole thing, then the board will make a decision on what went well and what didn’t go so well.

“We have always favoured someone who doesn’t have an NRL coaching job.

“The reality is Wayne has responsibilities to Souths next season and with the Origin series returning to its traditional format, this is a major consideration.

“It’s hard to fault what has just gone on, and I’m so pleased Wayne has proved his critics wrong, but equally we must keep our feet on the ground and not get too emotional about things.

“I’d love to see Wayne throw his hat in the ring, but we will be considering coaches without NRL ties, like Paul Green, so there’s no guarantee Wayne will be there next year.”

The potential loss of Bennett would be a crushing blow for Maroons players given the bonds they built in engineering Queensland’s greatest series triumph.

Forward Jai Arrow implored Bennett to stay loyal, while rookie prop Tino Fa’asuamaleaui said no other coach could have brought together a Motley crew of maligned Maroons, labelling him a “magic man”.

Souths hierarchy are prepared to support Bennett if he wishes to continue on, but the super coach admits he could walk away from the Maroons.

While QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher hopes Bennett returns to defend Queensland’s crown, he concedes an operational review may force the Maroons to reluctantly part ways with their coaching Messiah.

“I can’t dispute Wayne’s resume and his remarkable record, but I have to say we are still going to the open market for a coach for next year and beyond,” Hatcher said in the wake of Queensland’s epic 20-14 win in the Origin decider.

“I can’t stop signing Wayne’s praises but we are doing a review of our whole Origin program.

“I’m sitting on the fence right now,” he said.

Hatcher said the QRL were keen to lock in their coach by February and would prefer a longer-term appointment of up to three years.

“As a board, we have to think beyond another 12 months,” he said.

“We will be talking to Souths about Wayne and we will be going to the market before we go away for the December break. I expect nominations in January before making a decision on our coach in late January, early February.

“We cannot run a business on a one-year plan. The board must look at the risk profile, ideally we want our coach to be there on a longer-term basis on a two-year deal with possibly another option.

“On the balance of probabilities, there will be a whole host of factors that may affect whether we appoint Wayne again.”

“It’s not a good time for me to make decisions about anything after such an emotional three weeks.

“I’m not in a great place to make a definitive call without a clear mind.

“I will talk to Souths.

“The important thing is I feel I owe Souths a great deal so they are my first priority.

“If it can’t be done again, well I will have to walk away, but I will never forget this opportunity and I will always be grateful for it.

“It was 17 years since I coached my last Origin game and I never thought I would get the call-up again.

“I’ve loved being a part of it.”

Hatcher said the QRL were keen to lock in their coach by February and would prefer a longer-term appointment of up to three years.

“As a board, we have to think beyond another 12 months,” he said.

“We will be talking to Souths about Wayne and we will be going to the market before we go away for the December break. I expect nominations in January before making a decision on our coach in late January, early February.

“We cannot run a business on a one-year plan. The board must look at the risk profile, ideally we want our coach to be there on a longer-term basis on a two-year deal with possibly another option.

“On the balance of probabilities, there will be a whole host of factors that may affect whether we appoint Wayne again.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/40d7c0493064c16575911749ae4742d4

Desert Qlder

First Grade
An unbelievable win considering the circumstances.

None of the Queensland based teams qualified for the finals, the squad was decimated by injury and Bennett only became the head coach weeks out from the series.

Bennett's arrival was key.

Instead of picking whatever was available from the initial 33 man squad, Bennett brought in a mixture of senior players, form players and prospects that just needed an opportunity. He wasn't afraid to make a bold decision like leaving McGuire out in favour of a younger generation of Maroons.

While Josh was certainly hard done by, his absence gave players like Fa'asuamaleaui and Collins a bigger role and those two players were shining lights for the Maroons. Collins in particular had to have been in the running for Man of the Series.

The win in Adelaide was massive for Queensland. It was always going to be a challenge to see how both camps would approach this series and while they found themselves behind early Queensland, they made the right adjustments and scored one of their finest wins. On that occassion, it was the centre combination of Capewell and Gagai that stole the show. Capewell who historically struggled at club level in this position saved his best performance for the Queensland jersey, getting the better of his opposite and putting in an audacious kick for Brimson who managed to beat a host of Blues players to the ball. After Gagai set up Coates, the Blues succumbed to the pressure with Tupou virtually handing Cameron Munster the game.

I said after Game II that Queensland didn't have an Alfie, what I neglected to mention is that they lost his offsider Cameron Munster in the opening minutes. While Queensland may have struggled to have won Game II regardless, his absence gave the Maroons some much needed confidence headed into Game III. Bennett was at his best here, sitting down having a bottle of soft drink with his players and getting their minds on the decider.

Queensland saved their best for last. With Cameron Munster and Christian Welch back, the Maroons lifted and played out of their skins. Josh Papalii who was largely put on ice in Game II led the forward pack brilliantly and Holmes' switch to the wing got the Maroons out of their red zone.

Bennett produced his best play of the series when he injected Harry Grant into the game. There was a lot of disappointment that Bennett didn't hand Harry his debut in Game I, but Harry's injection proved crucial and when he crashed over to give Queensland a 14 point buffer it gave Queensland the breathing room they needed.

The Blues to their credit hung on and made Queensland fight until the bitter end. Queensland to their credit kept the Blues at an arm's distance and didn't allow themselves to rue the missed opportunities earlier in the game.

Cameron Munster produced his best performance since his Origin debut in 2017. He was constantly in the game making life difficult for the Blues in attack and defence. His work in the lead up to the Edrick Lee try was pivotal and he well and truly put his name alongside the great Queensland five-eighths like Lewis, Thurston and Lockyer.

This will go down as one of the all-time great Origin victories - right up there with 1995 and 2001.

When Kevin Walters was offered the Brisbane job, and subsequently Wayne Bennett was named coach for this series my heart swelled.

At the time that occurred, we were already well down on troops with a number of players indicating their unavailability or having gone down with injury. It was easy to foresee Walters selecting the likes of Mbye or McGuire, maybe even Napa. The bloke truly was out of his depth in the role with hopeless judgement on players, and made a series of blunders during his tenure.

It was looking to be a diabolical situation in 2020.

For Bennett, casting the likes Mcguire adrift would have been the easiest of moves. In fact, I am surprised he held on to Hunt as long as he did, but as it proved he wanted to save the Harry Grant gambit until the final game. Just masterful tactics.

All that said, I am unsure whether he is the right person for the role into the future. Perhaps it will be wise for the QRL to continue with Bennett in 2021 as it is effectively only six months away. An extended break from the camp as it currently is, and then into hopefully a winning series to solidify this group for the future. Then make plans from there.

The message has to be sent to the likes of Ponga, Fifita, Morgan et al, that they will have to work extremely hard to break into this team. A culture all their own has been created now, a true separation from the Smith, Thurston, Slater years. We must nurture this and allow them to develop into the next generation of Queensland warriors and leaders.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Bad news, Blues: Returning stars will make Maroons stronger

Kalyn Ponga, Michael Morgan, David Fifita and other big-name players who missed Queensland’s State of Origin series triumph will make the Maroons even stronger in 2021.

But they are going to have fight to regain their positions next season, according to former Maroons great Brent Tate.

With the likes of Ponga, Morgan, Fifita, Moses Mbye and Kyle Feldt unavailable, Queensland coach Wayne Bennett blooded a record 14 Origin debutants in the 2-1 series win and Tate believes the rookies deserve to retain their places in 2021.

"The real positive for Queensland is that it has given us depth across the park and in positions where we probably haven’t had depth for a long time," said Tate, who played 23 Origins for Queensland between 2002 and 2014.

"Blokes who wouldn’t necessarily have gotten a game, like Harry Grant, Edrick Lee, Brenko Lee and Xavier Coates, played well and have proven themselves so if they start the season well next year they deserve to keep their spots.

"The challenge for those other guys who didn’t play is that they now have to force their way back in."

Grant was outstanding in a 56-minute stint on debut in Wednesday night’s 20-14 win at Suncorp Stadium and the 22-year-old is expected to now be Queensland’s long-term hooker, while others like prop Lindsay Collins and lock Tino Fa'asuamaleaui are set to be Maroons mainstays.

However, the Queensland pack is set to be bolstered by the return of Fifita next season, while Canberra enforcer Corey Horsburgh was also sidelined by injury and Josh McGuire and Joe Ofahengaue were overlooked for selection.

Ben Hunt, who was the Ron McAuliffe Medal winner last year as Queensland's player of the series, was also dropped for Origin III in favour of Grant.

In the backs, Ponga, Morgan, Mbye and Feldt were unavailable, while Coates and AJ Brimson made impressive debuts but suffered injuries during the series that gave Edrick Lee and Corey Allan their chance in Origin III.

Along with Dane Gagai and Valentine Holmes, they will all be vying for fullback, centre and wing spots next season.

"I am really excited about the depth we have got in those positions now," Tate said.

"I thought Edrick Lee was absolutely outstanding, I thought he was our best winger during the series and Lindsay Collins was my man of the match in the last game.

"A lot of those guys made huge sacrifices to play so it is now up to Kalyn Ponga and those other guys to force their way back into the team. There are probably some guys who could have pushed themselves to play but didn’t, and look what they have missed out on."

***cough Ponga cough***

After back-to-back series wins by NSW, the Maroons' era of dominance of winning 11 series in 12 years from 2006 to 2017 appeared over but Tate and fellow former Queensland Origin representative Scott Sattler believe the new breed of stars could inflict more pain on the Blues.

"I was talking to Satts and I said to him that the last few years I have been really worried about our depth but I genuinely feel like we have got some real depth there now," Tate said.

"We haven’t had that for a while and you have been sitting back thinking NSW could be dominant for the next few years like Queensland was but all of a sudden I think the pendulum has swung back again."

Players like Jaydn Su'A, Brenko Lee, Kurt Capewell and Jake Friend also made the most of their first chance at Origin level, meaning Queensland will no longer have a problem when it comes to depth.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/20/bad-news-blues-returning-stars-will-make-maroons-stronger/

billygilmore

Juniors
Brimson seems more of an Origin style fullback if you get my drift. Fifita would be the only certainty probably for Sua'a

Yeah I don't mind this Brimson fella, I caught a few Titans games at the back end of the season and actually thought I hope they go with this guy over Ponga before I knew he was injured, just something about him, seems a little more robust and tougher, runs with ball 100% for the slight chance of breaking the tackle at the risk of getting smashed, reminds me a little of Karmichael Hunt in that respect, maybe not quite as kamakazi.

In saying that though Ponga does bring a hell of a lot to the table, his vision and passes are sublime at times. At origin level though I get that Matty Bowen feeling with Ponga, just to many big blokes that can tackle hard and f**k all space to play with, still remember cringing when peak Mason just steam rolled poor Bowen like he wasn't there in an origin match for a try

Latest posts