What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
ksims_ellis.jpg

SIGNINGS

Dragons release Sims, re-sign Ellis
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 20 Nov 2020, 06:02 AM

St George Illawarra have released Korbin Sims from the remainder of his Dragons playing contract to allow him to take up an opportunity in the English Super League.

Sims played 21 games for the Dragons over the past two seasons.

Three spots still remain in the Dragons' Top 30 roster however, following the re-signing of front-rower Kaide Ellis on a one-year deal.

Ellis joined the Dragons midway through the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season and played eight games for the Red V.

"I'd like to thank Korbin for his contribution at the Red V and wish him all the best in his future endeavours," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"Kaide arrived at the Dragons in recent months with high credentials and he certainly proved a positive addition to our team in the back end of last season.

"The player market moves fast in rugby league and a lot of things can happen in a short amount of time.

"With three spots remaining on our roster, we'll be working diligently over the coming months to ensure the players who do come to the Dragons are the right fit for our club."

Ellis's re-signing follows the signing of Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili as well as the further retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

Be in that number in 2021. Become a Red V member today. For more information on membership, please visit: dragons.com.au/membership. Have any questions? Check our membership FAQs or contact us via 1300 DRAGON (1300 372 466) during business hours, or email redv@dragons.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/20/dragons-release-sims-re-sign-ellis/

Gareth67

First Grade
Any takers for Blake Ferguson ?

There’s one thing about Ferguson ( besides the mans obvious class ) that I have always admired , that being his commitment and perhaps more so his enthusiasm when playing.

He so often lifts a team with one of his blockbusting runs - the team itself maybe hovering close to defeat , yet he inspires his teammates to greater efforts by those runs .

Damn shame that his injuries have all but caught up with him .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Glad to see the back of Korbin and that IMO just might help Tariq find some kind of form as I never thought having the brothers together was good for either.

I am also pleased that Ellis is retained and I’m sure his grandfather has also got a big smile and I wish them both well.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Glad to see the back of Korbin and that IMO just might help Tariq find some kind of form as I never thought having the brothers together was good for either.

I am also pleased that Ellis is retained and I’m sure his grandfather has also got a big smile and I wish them both well.
I agree OT & I would be happy for the Hook Spring clean to continue further.....
You would have to think Trent Merin maybe a bit nervous.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree OT & I would be happy for the Hook Spring clean to continue further.....
You would have to think Trent Merin maybe a bit nervous.

Merrin is 31 and 1yr left on his contract. I think he'd already know he'll be spending his last year in the CC.
Korbin is 28 and still thinks he can play at 1st grade level, hence his move to ESL. Re-signing Ellis is just like for like, although Ellis still has the opportunity to make his mark.

BLM01

First Grade
There’s one thing about Ferguson ( besides the mans obvious class ) that I have always admired , that being his commitment and perhaps more so his enthusiasm when playing.

He so often lifts a team with one of his blockbusting runs - the team itself maybe hovering close to defeat , yet he inspires his teammates to greater efforts by those runs .

Damn shame that his injuries have all but caught up with him .
And his poor handling and some reading in defence
But you’re right he does attack well

getsmarty

Immortal
New front-runner emerges for signature of Brisbane Broncos enforcer Joe Ofahengaue
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
@ljoloughlin
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
upload_2020-11-20_22-8-25.gif
NRL images

Brisbane Broncos enforcer Joe Ofahengaue reportedly won't be at the club in 2021 - and there looks to be a new front-runner for his signature.

The 25-year old had an indifferent year at the struggling club, and was told by incoming coach Kevin Walters that he was free to look elsewhere for next season.

Originally it was the St George Illawarra Dragons who showed an interest, and it looked as though he would sign with the Red V under Anthony Griffin.

But according to senior reporter Brent Read on Triple M Radio on Friday night, another Sydney-based club are looking to sign the Broncos prop.

"We’ve all seen the Josh Aloiai situation – it’s an interesting one. The Tigers have got some options on the table. Curtis Sironen is in the mix, he has been discussed, and Joe Ofahengaue is doing the rounds again," he said.

"He was being discussed earlier in the year, and Joe is back doing the rounds. He spoke to the Tigers this week, and there is an interest there.

"Josh Aloiai will leave, they want to get it resolved by November 30 and they are exploring options everywhere."

Understand Tigers officials were impressed with Joe Ofahengaue during talks this week. They want to have the Josh Aloiai matter settled by Nov 30. Ofahengaue would provide a replacement and potential upgrade. His departure would also allow Broncos to possibly sign John Asiata

— Brent Read (@brentread_7) November 20, 2020

The other interesting thing to note is that this week, the former QLD Maroons forward unfollowed the Broncos on Instagram and followed the Tigers. Weird, but it is 2020, and that's a good indication.

As for the Dragons - their interest has dissipated in recent weeks, and it looks unlikely now that he will end up in Wollongong.

"There was some interest from the Dragons – the Dragons still have an interest, but I don’t think it is as strong as it was.

“When Kevvy got there, they needed to create some salary cap space. Joe was told to have a look around. There was some initial interest from the Dragons, but they weren’t able to nut out a deal with Brisbane.

"This week it has heated up again, and I don’t think Joe Ofahengaue will be in Brisbane next year. I don’t know where he will be, I think it will be the Tigers because the Dragons are pretty firm it won’t happen.

"It just depends on what Brisbane are willing to chip in."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...gons-kevin-walters/1cw2et64gyepm1ht7sz54z9lls

Gareth67

First Grade
The fact that we are not showing as much interest as previously could possibly mean that Griffin is more than happy with the aquitsition of Poasa Faamuasiili ?

Latest posts