What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bomber Morris Issue

Morris doesn’t have full support from the playing group?

The same playing group who won’t be offered deals when their contracts run out this season?

When you get the feeling the senior players are trying to call the shots at a Club when they are actually the big part of the problem. You know there will be no success until they are gone.

That’s been the biggest problem the past couple of seasons. That certain players don’t think their shyte stinks. When they’ve been well and truly stinking up the joint.

For the love of god please do not renew any of those highly paid and highly underperforming players that no other Club wants either.

snout

First Grade
Positive day for us in the media as far as lm concerned.
Firstly Dino goes on the front foot and shows we arent the NRLs bitches to be told when where and how.
We are masters and commanders of our own ship thankyou and not only that we will make you an offer you cant refuse.

Secondly, sorry bomber but this has legs. Morris's manager might be disappointed he couldnt get a 2 or 3 year extension but hang on mate - we have gone from a consistent top 4 side and premiership winner to fighting to hold onto 8th spot with a bunch of other also-ranners.
Everybodys spot is under the blowtorch.
Because 8th aint good enough and without it being bombers fault plus a dozen other reasons why we arent good enough - ranging from flannos spending to moyzas heartstrings to salary cap issues - the fact is the last thing we need is for anybody involved in the last 2 seasons to be automatically extended.

f**k that.

Everybody needs to get in get tough and get things happening and earn it.
I love the fact Dinos not rolling over and just being told we will play here or there.
I love the fact we arent saying to morris's manager yes sir and how many more years would you like - like we used to do with flanno.

The broncos cowboys warriors saints and whoever else have decided they might find someone better than the bloke they had. Why shouldnt we.
Its business.
Bomber may well be that bloke.
Good luck to him if he is.
But maybe he aint and once again l love the fact theres people in and around the club who think that if theres someone better than thats who we want - and arent just happy to let some coach's manager tell us who he thinks the best option is.
I know one thing - if bomber wants the job we are going to get his very best because he and the rest of the newspaper reading public now know he has to earn it.
And him moving heaven and earth means every single player is on notice.

ghoti

Bench
I know one thing - if bomber wants the job we are going to get his very best because he and the rest of the newspaper reading public now know he has to earn it.
And him moving heaven and earth means every single player is on notice.

Good post and I mostly agree...the only thing I'll add to that and the article, is that going out and getting someone like Ciraldo or Fitzgibbon to learn a head coaching job is a sideways step. I think we should def look for something better (but personally think the best option is for Bomber to get a one year extension to craft and use a squad) and an experienced head like Paul Green i understand, but it's an old mistake imo to change for the sake of change. There are pleeeenty of unproven assistant coaches on the coaching merry go round scrap heap and we really don't wanna make another one

Ads

First Grade
Morris doesn’t have full support from the playing group?

The same playing group who won’t be offered deals when their contracts run out this season?

When you get the feeling the senior players are trying to call the shots at a Club when they are actually the big part of the problem. You know there will be no success until they are gone.

That’s been the biggest problem the past couple of seasons. That certain players don’t think their shyte stinks. When they’ve been well and truly stinking up the joint.

For the love of god please do not renew any of those highly paid and highly underperforming players that no other Club wants either.

Blow it up!

Chimp

Bench
No point replacing Morris for another rookie, would need to be a top drawer, proven head coach otherwise it’s just more of the same.
But I also wouldn’t be in a rush to sign an extension - it’s not like there are other clubs queuing up to sign him on - Saints made that mistake with Mary, signed him up nice and early, even though there was no risk of him going elsewhere, and then regretted it.

Ads

First Grade
No point replacing Morris for another rookie, would need to be a top drawer, proven head coach otherwise it’s just more of the same.
But I also wouldn’t be in a rush to sign an extension - it’s not like there are other clubs queuing up to sign him on - Saints made that mistake with Mary, signed him up nice and early, even though there was no risk of him going elsewhere, and then regretted it.
Not necessarily more of the same if it’s another rookie. One that can coach defense for example would be completely different.

Chimp

Bench
Not necessarily more of the same if it’s another rookie. One that can coach defense for example would be completely different.
Yeah I get that, but they’re likely to have deficiencies in other areas - you’re still going to get rookie errors, and they’re still going to need a strong team around them, something we’ve not been great at. If we’re going for a rookie coach, we might as well keep Morris, but build a strong team of assistants, strength/conditioning, sports science etc
Neil Henry is getting a lot of credit for his influence on the QLD team - maybe worth a shout....

Ads

First Grade
Yeah I get that, but they’re likely to have deficiencies in other areas - you’re still going to get rookie errors, and they’re still going to need a strong team around them, something we’ve not been great at. If we’re going for a rookie coach, we might as well keep Morris, but build a strong team of assistants, strength/conditioning, sports science etc
Neil Henry is getting a lot of credit for his influence on the QLD team - maybe worth a shout....
100%. For me I’d only be happy to keep Morris if he is surrounded by quality experience. Unsure we’ll do that but let’s wait and see.

Chimp

Bench
100%. For me I’d only be happy to keep Morris if he is surrounded by quality experience. Unsure we’ll do that but let’s wait and see.
Exactly.... and if we were to get another rookie, even someone highly regarded like Fitzgibbon, he’d still need a strong team around him. Essentially, we need to invest in the coaching set up, either a top quality head coach, or stronger back room staff - whether that be to support Morris or whoever, my thought is it might as well be Morris if we’re not recruiting from the top drawer

sandshark

Bench
To be honest if we are looking for a new coach we need someone with a 300iq brain.
Someone like a Paul Gallen, a Todd Carney or maybe a Wade Graham captain/coach.
Yeah that's my 2 cents opinion.

Frailty

First Grade
Secondly, sorry bomber but this has legs. Morris's manager might be disappointed he couldnt get a 2 or 3 year extension but hang on mate - we have gone from a consistent top 4 side and premiership winner to fighting to hold onto 8th spot with a bunch of other also-ranners.

The broncos cowboys warriors saints and whoever else have decided they might find someone better than the bloke they had. Why shouldnt we.
Its business.

Whilst, I'm not completely against the argument that we should rush into re-signing Morris, I do have to pull up a couple of things here:

• We made the top 4 twice in Flanagan's time. That's not a consistent Top 4 side.
  • It also neglects the player turnover where players like Gallen, Lewis, and Holmes, left and other players like Fifita and Bukuya hadn't lost form. Team was always going to be refreshed and Morris has done a great job of bringing through young replacements.
  • I think it is poor to ignore the impact the Salary Cap penalties, salaries wasted on injured 'stars' signed by the previous coach, and not having one full uninterrupted season under his belt would impact performance.
  • Broncos, Cowboys, Warriors and Saints are all cellardwellers and aren't dealing with the above issues. It doesn't help when one of the Sharks alternative coaches is from one of those poor clubs.

PJ

First Grade
Agree with the above.

Flanno also had a reasonable coach by his side in Price when he won. Morris has had sfa support as far as I can tell.

The side we had on paper did well considering the injuries, experience lost etc.

I think Morris is a good attacking coach and prepared to blood youngsters, but that he could do with help in defence be it with good support coaches and/or a thorough professional backrower like Lewis.

I honestly think if we had Flanno this year we would have been worse.

Stake Removed

First Grade
So no news if Bomber staying on for 2022, Hannay is his assistant for 2021.

But players are available for 2022, and still we sit on our hands, the club needs to make a decision and soon.

We apparently have money, and I will copy flack for this go after a coach who has track record of winning.
Bennett off contract
Flanno
McDermott
There is 3 to start

Quicksilver

Bench
So no news if Bomber staying on for 2022, Hannay is his assistant for 2021.

But players are available for 2022, and still we sit on our hands, the club needs to make a decision and soon.

We apparently have money, and I will copy flack for this go after a coach who has track record of winning.
Bennett off contract
Flanno
McDermott
There is 3 to start

You sound like the kind of bloke that would mess up a salary cap for a decade with 3 weeks worth of signings.

patience.

ghoti

Bench
Exactly, we’ve got Mooney coming in at the perfect time with all this cap space opening up soon.

I am confident we’ll be in a very good position with our playing roster soon

i feel the same way! (as i usually do for most of your posts haha). 2021 is gonna be a tough year, building season getting the youth to their potential, settling out dud contracts, balancing the squad (Tolman and Marshall one year contracts for e.g.)... imo 2021 is all with the goal of getting the kids up to top 4 standard and making the 8 to give them finals experience.

Depending on signings for 2022, i'd say the Top 4 tilt and premiership window is 2023/2024 if everyone continues on their development path, after that we're looking at retirements for Graham, SJ (if he stays) etc, and new crop underneath the current crop

Weaponhead

Coach
i feel the same way! (as i usually do for most of your posts haha). 2021 is gonna be a tough year, building season getting the youth to their potential, settling out dud contracts, balancing the squad (Tolman and Marshall one year contracts for e.g.)... imo 2021 is all with the goal of getting the kids up to top 4 standard and making the 8 to give them finals experience.

Depending on signings for 2022, i'd say the Top 4 tilt and premiership window is 2023/2024 if everyone continues on their development path, after that we're looking at retirements for Graham, SJ (if he stays) etc, and new crop underneath the current crop
Sound thinking. The smart clubs are always building towards sustained success.

As you say 2021 is about positioning this squad for top 4 2022/3. Making a decision about the long term coach will matter for attracting the talent required to open a premiership window.

Special K

Coach
I really like Morris and what he is trying to do. But someone at the club must really not like him because since it was Morris or Dymock for the job the rumours have been the club isn’t sticking with Morris.

There was a massive push for Flanno. There was one/is one for Green. Ciraldo lives around here and is always being floated.

Our draw flattered Morris this year but he has done a good job with the mess he walked into.

Ads

First Grade
I really like Morris and what he is trying to do. But someone at the club must really not like him because since it was Morris or Dymock for the job the rumours have been the club isn’t sticking with Morris.

There was a massive push for Flanno. There was one/is one for Green. Ciraldo lives around here and is always being floated.

Our draw flattered Morris this year but he has done a good job with the mess he walked into.
Ciraldo is interesting. Could be very good. Sideways move from Morris to him though.

Stake Removed

First Grade
If you go with Ciraldo you would need someone like a Neil Henry as an assistant.

We land Wayne Bennett he would bring his own team