What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

blue bags

First Grade
Perhaps HITD, but with flights to London now happening from Perth, that argument is starting to weaken a bit. The SL has talked about expanding by having a team in Perth. I would be happy with that, as I would get to see my Wigan Warriors more often! I doubt that it is going to happen in the short term, however.

I hope that they keep the WCC concept (not because of personal interest, of course)! It probably will be limited in its number of games, I agree. It is a tradition in league that should not be removed. I am sick of losing our traditions, e.g. City/Country. That should never happen again.
can you give links please , to SL wants PERTH team

adamkungl

Immortal
Only place it could be played is the week before the World Cup, IF the Storm are willing to travel.

Hypothetically the 2020 and 2021 premiers could both travel over and make it a double header - a good chunk of their players already would be anyway for the WC.
And maaaybe that could result in an annual move for the concept.

Dreams...

siv

First Grade
Cant see how the NRL would allow the WCC to proceed in 2021 due to the high risk

Would only occur down under if at all

Taking The Two

Juniors
It won’t happen at all. Wigan lost £500,000 from the trip to play Roosters and the farcical Super League game against Hull in the ‘gong. There’s no way Super League teams are going to travel to Australia next year, more so when you consider we’re planning for a twenty-seven round regular season to run with the Challenge Cup and play-offs in a shorter season with a World Cup at the end of the year.

World Club Challenge hopes​

After winning a third successive Super League title, St Helens are keen to have a crack at NRL counterparts Penrith Panthers.

The World Club Challenge didn’t happen in 2021 due to the COVID pandemic, and big question marks hang over the revival of the event for 2022. Saints forward Morgan Knowles said: “Covid robbed us of the World Club Challenge last year but it would be good to get a chance to play them.” (The Guardian)

Tigers1986

Juniors
WCC was once a great concept but the scheduling of it is always an issue. Post-GFs it eats into end of year breaks, and in the usual February window, the NRL are putting more focus upon trial games (although this could be alleviated with the Dolphins entry).

The Great Dane

First Grade
WCC was once a great concept but the scheduling of it is always an issue. Post-GFs it eats into end of year breaks, and in the usual February window, the NRL are putting more focus upon trial games (although this could be alleviated with the Dolphins entry).
Fox are broadcasting trial games next season, which could eventually be the death of the preseason WCC if it's successful and we end up with an American style preseason.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

World Club Challenge hopes​

After winning a third successive Super League title, St Helens are keen to have a crack at NRL counterparts Penrith Panthers.

The World Club Challenge didn’t happen in 2021 due to the COVID pandemic, and big question marks hang over the revival of the event for 2022. Saints forward Morgan Knowles said: “Covid robbed us of the World Club Challenge last year but it would be good to get a chance to play them.” (The Guardian)
The only way it'll happen is if it's down here, and I highly doubt that Penrith or the NRL has much interest in hosting it at the moment. Which means that St Helens or the RFL would have to organise it which is very unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I remember being at a Wigan v Broncos game in the 90's in front of around 50k +in Brisbane. Was a huge event.

Latest posts