What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if you're Brandon Smith

SmashEmBro

Juniors
After Harry Grants showing in Origin, it looks like it could be the Munster and Harry show long term at the Storm.

If you're Brandon, what do u do?

He's a great player and would be a starting hooker at almost any other club... Do u stick around and play 2nd fiddle at the Storm for the next 5 years and be in contention for more titles, or do you get out of there ASAP and forge your own destiny?

Discuss!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Selfishly would love him to stay at the Storm, and he may for a year or two to see if Grant keeps up his early form. Ultimately if Grant is the Storm #1 hooker then Brandon should move on for his own career good. He should be the Kiwi hooker for the next few years but may lose that spot if not regularly playing there. Warriors could do with him.

Incorrect

Coach
I'll be honest, I don't think he's that good a hooker. Decent but on what Grant has shown in 2020, he's a few rungs higher than Brandon IMO that it's not even a debate who should wear the 9 for Melbourne.

The ball is in his court. If he's prepared to back himself, he's probably better off staying with the Storm and enjoying continued success. Better than joining a battling club just play hooker by default...

big hit!

Bench
Seems like a great bloke to have around the club. Unfortuately, Melbourne have a better #9 and potential decade-long representative player on their books. If he wants to play #9 and be an integral part of a starting 13, then he'll have to leave. If he's happy to be a role player at Melbourne Storm, then stick around. There is no better club to be at the moment.

Canard

Immortal
Even before Origin he was below Grant on the depth charts.

Thing is "Cheese" has already shown he is more then happy to piss his career away by being a bench player.

So he will probably stay.

Stay at the Storm.

Grant at Hooker and Smith at Lock could be devastating.

I hate the term “spine”... but a guy like Smith could add a 5th element to the term. And if something goes wrong with Grant... he’d slot straight into 9 and the Storm carry on ..

Grant, Smith, Munster, Papenhuyzen.. that’s the future of the Storm right there..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good hooker, but way better as a loose forward.

Paps at 1, Munster at 6, Grant at 9 and B Smith at 13 - that would put the wind up most teams.

Concerned if he is big enough to play 80mins in the middle as a battering ram given his kamikaze style. Not to mention a certain Dale Finucane in front of him for the 13 shirt.

Reactions: Vee
Concerned if he is big enough to play 80mins in the middle as a battering ram given his kamikaze style. Not to mention a certain Dale Finucane in front of him for the 13 shirt.

I’d heard some saying recently that the lock forward will “re-evolve” to a position as it was in the 90’s with the new 6 again rule... A true, ball-playing forward.. not the battering ram it has been in recent years. I agree.

Clyde, Fittler.. we had Wayne Bartrim (who was bloody handy) even Wally Lewis ended up at lock back then.

A guy like Smith, charging off the back of a guy like Harry Grant, could be a huge weapon in the modern game.

Don’t know where that leaves a guy like Finucane (who’s a great forward) but id be pushing him up into the 2nd row. They actually has Asofa-Solomona in 13 at the end of the year.

moffla

Bench
He would kill it as a ball playing forward. As mentioned, move Finucane into 2nd row and shift B. Smith to #13.

If he doesn’t want that then I assume he will leave.

There is no doubt Grant is our long term hooker. No doubt at all

nick87

Coach
What would i do?

Sign with the team who offered me the most money, and the tie breaker going to the team with the best opportunity to be successful

Ideally that would be melbourne and i could continue to play a role as a bench impact forward who will cover at Hooker for periods if needed long or short term... if not, so be it. Go and get the money, this game exacts a large toll on players bodies, he's won titles, he's going to play international footy... secure the bag as the kids say