What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Gotta think too...
is Siro more likely to win a premiership with Souths or NZ..me thinks this is $$ talking. Good pickup for NZ, sucks we let him go.. at this rate Our mate who supposedly can’t tackle will be starting in the second row :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Travitoh

First Grade
New Zealand have some good forwards unsigned. Perhaps we can pick up one. Tohu Harris, jazz Tevaga, Leeson Au mau, Karl Lawton. And some useful backs Paul Turner. Patrick Herbert. If we release a player to a club we should be looking for a suitable trade.

Would love Tevaga but can't see NZ giving him up easily.
Tohu Harris would be a good addition. A leader who has been successful in the past and fills a need for Souths.
I agree that Souths should've tried to get something back from NZ.

Siro gone opens the door for us to sign back the Butcher boys or at least one in a swap for Sualli

I've only seen Nat but that would be an outstanding addition imo.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rabbitohs release Bayley Sironen from the remainder of his playing contract: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...n-from-the-remainder-of-his-playing-contract/

Sironen switches from Souths to Warriors until end of 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/20/sironen-switches-from-souths-to-warriors-until-end-of-2023/

What the f**k?! What the hell?! This has come out of absolutely nowhere! No talk, no rumours, all of a sudden, boom. Plus, he only re-signed like two months ago saying how much he loved the club and wanted to stay etc. So what the hell has happened?!! I'm so shocked and so confused.

Sironen is a fantastic player in my opinion, a real star second rower in the making. His development this year has been incredible and he seems like one hell of a bloke. I know he can be replaced but to be honest, I'm gutted to lose him. Shattered. So shocked right now.
I’m gutted.

We are letting quite a few go and besides Arrow not much coming in, Moga and Milne these kinds of guys are so so injury prone.

Makes you wonder where all our money goes....

Rabbits20

Immortal
Has anyone got a list of all the guys going?

It is rising fast....

off top of my head:

Amone
Rodwell
Dillon
Johns
Lowe
Sironen
Roberts
Denniss

Coming in

Arrow
Host
Moga?
Milne

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yep Siro is a MAJOR loss.
He was number 4 on my 're-sign priority list.(Latrell, Su'a, Koloa, Siro)
I don't understand why our management is allowing this.
Are they thinking we don't need him because we got Arrow coming in?
Who have they got their eyes on?
JAC?
Tevita Pangai?

Surely our management can't be thinking that signing guys chronically lined up at the Medicare counter is gonna make our team better????

Either we gonna be very happy, or very disgusted pretty shortly

handyman2190

Bench
Can’t keep players if they don’t want to play. Would you rather keep him if he wants to go and plays a season unhappy? Or let him go, keep our cash and sign someone else?
All clubs should play hard ball and smarter, you cant just let them go if they have signed,a trade or compensation should apply,and the nrl had better pull its socks up.
All ive seen is us letting players go and no signings,its farcical stuff, one thing to remember, some of these players did us proud as backups during injurys, now they are gone.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
All clubs should play hard ball and smarter, you cant just let them go if they have signed,a trade or compensation should apply,and the nrl had better pull its socks up.
All ive seen is us letting players go and no signings,its farcical stuff, one thing to remember, some of these players did us proud as backups during injurys, now they are gone.
The management need to realise FAST that our window of winning a premiership with Cody and Adam has 2 more seasons left at best.

Unless they got the next Allan Langer, and Brett Kenny in the wings, it's gotta happen NOW.

Letting Siro go is telling me they are falling asleep at the wheel.

Unless JAC or Pangai are wearing red&green in 2021 - which is a major pipe dream

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I’m gutted.

We are letting quite a few go and besides Arrow not much coming in, Moga and Milne these kinds of guys are so so injury prone.

Makes you wonder where all our money goes....
We MUST have a reasonable amount of cap space now.
Savings for 2021:
James Roberts - 550K
Ethan Lowe - 300-400K
Sironen - ??? gotta be around 300K at least
Suaali - 600-50= 550K

Costs for 2021:
Arrow - 850K - looking VERY overpriced now - but this was Sam's money, which if you believe Telecrap, was 1.1 mil - so that leaves 250K on our table.
Latrell - 230K increase.
Su'A - TBC
Koloa - TBC

Even accounting for previous upgrades to Murray and Graham, surely we got significant money on the table waiting to be spent?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Hey Fellas,
I just had a thought. It made me dry-reech my dinner.

Bulldog Ritchie (yeah, I know -- he needs to be drug tested) said last month that the Warriors had "STRONG INTEREST" in getting Matt Lodge.
Now the Warriors have signed Sironen.

Please tell me Bennett is not gonna bring Lodge here FFS.......

handyman2190

Bench
Hey Fellas,
I just had a thought. It made me dry-reech my dinner.

Bulldog Ritchie (yeah, I know -- he needs to be drug tested) said last month that the Warriors had "STRONG INTEREST" in getting Matt Lodge.
Now the Warriors have signed Sironen.

Please tell me Bennett is not gonna bring Lodge here FFS.......
Ive said all along we need pengai , we now also need 2 backrowers and a winger, and a prop

Travitoh

First Grade
Definitely need an edge forward in with the departures of Lowe and Bayly. I fear that Bennett's plan is to move Murray there full time.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Would love Tevaga but can't see NZ giving him up easily.
Tohu Harris would be a good addition. A leader who has been successful in the past and fills a need for Souths.
I agree that Souths should've tried to get something back from NZ.

Keep your mits off Tohu but you're welcome to Jazz, I actually think he may be the odd man out anyway if we do end up re-signing Harris.

Will even throw Josh Curran and Jackson Frei in for free.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Definitely need an edge forward in with the departures of Lowe and Bayly. I fear that Bennett's plan is to move Murray there full time.
That will exactly be the plan except that when Arrow goes off Murray moves to middle I reckon.

We also have Host and Cartwright as well. I think both are good signings.

Our pack is building pretty nicely:

T. Burgess
Cook
Tatola
Su’a
Murray
Arrow

Knight
Nicholls
Cartwright
Koloamatangi

Sele
Host
Mago

Like you though I prefer Murray at lock.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We MUST have a reasonable amount of cap space now.
Savings for 2021:
James Roberts - 550K
Ethan Lowe - 300-400K
Sironen - ??? gotta be around 300K at least
Suaali - 600-50= 550K

Costs for 2021:
Arrow - 850K - looking VERY overpriced now - but this was Sam's money, which if you believe Telecrap, was 1.1 mil - so that leaves 250K on our table.
Latrell - 230K increase.
Su'A - TBC
Koloa - TBC

Even accounting for previous upgrades to Murray and Graham, surely we got significant money on the table waiting to be spent?
I think the Jet was on 500k with us. I don’t believe the Siro figure is that high I think more like 250k for 2021 it was with us.

Arrow is on around 750k with us I believe.

Tatola and Campbell will need upgrades as well.

Still yeah you’d think we have some cap space....

Travitoh

First Grade
That will exactly be the plan except that when Arrow goes off Murray moves to middle I reckon.

We also have Host and Cartwright as well. I think both are good signings.

Our pack is building pretty nicely:

T. Burgess
Cook
Tatola
Su’a
Murray
Arrow

Knight
Nicholls
Cartwright
Koloamatangi

Sele
Host
Mago

Like you though I prefer Murray at lock.

I forgot about Host and Cartwright. I hope one of them step up in preseason to start on an edge. Sele could be an option too.
Host has looked decent at times when I've seen him play with StGI.
Cartwright hasn't excited me though in his defence, there wasn't a reserve grade for him to build form in after joining the club.

With Murray at lock, i believe our middle rotation and depth is strong.

8. Arrow
10. Tom
13. Murray

Tatola
Koloamatangi

Nicholls
Knight
Mago

It's the edge which appears weak at the top but there are options.

11. Su'a
12. Cartwright/Host/Sele

Gardner

Milne?
Moga?

I don't believe there's anything to panic about. Souths got through last season fine after the loss of Sam and Sutton. 2021 should be about building on what was achieved in the 2020 regular season and pushing towards a top 4 finish.

Losing Bayly is disappointing but i agree with you that he wouldn't have been on much more than he was in 2020. Otherwise he would've signed for longer than a year i believe.

callmack1

Staff member
Yea I agree with a lot of what has been said.

I'm still a bit gutted about losing Sironen but he certainly can be replaced. I mean, who would have thought he's have the 2020 Season that he did heading into this year? His development was huge! I'm looking at someone like Cartwright and hoping he can do similar in 2021. I think he certainly has it in him and a full Pre-Season with us leading into next year will be fantastic for his game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I forgot about Host and Cartwright. I hope one of them step up in preseason to start on an edge. Sele could be an option too.
Host has looked decent at times when I've seen him play with StGI.
Cartwright hasn't excited me though in his defence, there wasn't a reserve grade for him to build form in after joining the club.

With Murray at lock, i believe our middle rotation and depth is strong.

8. Arrow
10. Tom
13. Murray

Tatola
Koloamatangi

Nicholls
Knight
Mago

It's the edge which appears weak at the top but there are options.

11. Su'a
12. Cartwright/Host/Sele

Gardner

Milne?
Moga?

I don't believe there's anything to panic about. Souths got through last season fine after the loss of Sam and Sutton. 2021 should be about building on what was achieved in the 2020 regular season and pushing towards a top 4 finish.

Losing Bayly is disappointing but i agree with you that he wouldn't have been on much more than he was in 2020. Otherwise he would've signed for longer than a year i believe.
I get what you’re saying mate and also do not forget Koloamatangi can also play second row.

I do however think Wayne will now opt to go with this as our back row and I’m not as keen on it as Murray is best in the 13.......

11. Su’a
12. Murray
13. Arrow

Latest posts