What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

BLM01

First Grade
The fact that we are not showing as much interest as previously could possibly mean that Griffin is more than happy with the aquitsition of Poasa Faamuasiili ?
Not necessarily Gazza..dont forget we got another spot to fill before March..then another 1 by June 30..and that is including if JDB and Saab are with us in 21
We are not out of any race yet..$$..we have..just choosing to spend the right amount wisely which has not been done for a while

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Or he has someone else in mind ;-)

Not necessarily Gazza..dont forget we got another spot to fill before March..then another 1 by June 30..and that is including if JDB and Saab are with us in 21
We are not out of any race yet..$$..we have..just choosing to spend the right amount wisely which has not been done for a while

Agree gentlemen - on both counts . It would be pleasing should they manage to sign a real top class forward to add much needed power to our engine room .

jeffdragon

Bench
Friz,host,Sims gone-Jdb?
Only roosters forward to replace.
Surely can't rely on likes of mez and pack of last year.
Most on the market are backs which we don't look like signing any..

Dragsters

First Grade
New front-runner emerges for signature of Brisbane Broncos enforcer Joe Ofahengaue
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
@ljoloughlin
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
View attachment 44004
NRL images

Brisbane Broncos enforcer Joe Ofahengaue reportedly won't be at the club in 2021 - and there looks to be a new front-runner for his signature.

The 25-year old had an indifferent year at the struggling club, and was told by incoming coach Kevin Walters that he was free to look elsewhere for next season.

Originally it was the St George Illawarra Dragons who showed an interest, and it looked as though he would sign with the Red V under Anthony Griffin.

But according to senior reporter Brent Read on Triple M Radio on Friday night, another Sydney-based club are looking to sign the Broncos prop.

"We’ve all seen the Josh Aloiai situation – it’s an interesting one. The Tigers have got some options on the table. Curtis Sironen is in the mix, he has been discussed, and Joe Ofahengaue is doing the rounds again," he said.

"He was being discussed earlier in the year, and Joe is back doing the rounds. He spoke to the Tigers this week, and there is an interest there.

"Josh Aloiai will leave, they want to get it resolved by November 30 and they are exploring options everywhere."

Understand Tigers officials were impressed with Joe Ofahengaue during talks this week. They want to have the Josh Aloiai matter settled by Nov 30. Ofahengaue would provide a replacement and potential upgrade. His departure would also allow Broncos to possibly sign John Asiata

— Brent Read (@brentread_7) November 20, 2020

The other interesting thing to note is that this week, the former QLD Maroons forward unfollowed the Broncos on Instagram and followed the Tigers. Weird, but it is 2020, and that's a good indication.

As for the Dragons - their interest has dissipated in recent weeks, and it looks unlikely now that he will end up in Wollongong.

"There was some interest from the Dragons – the Dragons still have an interest, but I don’t think it is as strong as it was.

“When Kevvy got there, they needed to create some salary cap space. Joe was told to have a look around. There was some initial interest from the Dragons, but they weren’t able to nut out a deal with Brisbane.

"This week it has heated up again, and I don’t think Joe Ofahengaue will be in Brisbane next year. I don’t know where he will be, I think it will be the Tigers because the Dragons are pretty firm it won’t happen.

"It just depends on what Brisbane are willing to chip in."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...gons-kevin-walters/1cw2et64gyepm1ht7sz54z9lls

I'm not unhappy with these developments.

Imo, he is not what we need...

Old Timer

Coach
Recruitment starts with an R which seemed to be the key letter when we considered players.

So many of them fitted the following description

Rejuvenating, reinventing, resuscitating, regurgitating, repairing, rehabilitating, reminiscing.

And of course R was of key letter as to how the youngsters in the squad were treated

Restricted, refused, rejected, regressed, rebuked.

Hopefully those days are well and truly behind us and we adapt a totally different attitude to who we "sign".

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Friz,host,Sims gone-Jdb?
Only roosters forward to replace.
Surely can't rely on likes of mez and pack of last year.
Most on the market are backs which we don't look like signing any..

This is how it stands;

Props: Vaughan, Kerr, Fa’amausili, Ellis, Blacker & Lawrie
Hooker: McInnes, Brittian & Hunt
2nd Row T Sims, Ford & Fuimaono
Lock: Bird, Merrin & JdB

Props we are ok but the backrow is very thin. If JdB doesn’t get off or if Sims picks up another injury we are in trouble.

Hook has publicly stated he wants to add a couple more pieces. But who? Frizell might be past his best but he’s still a SOO player.

getsmarty

Immortal
This is how it stands;

Props: Vaughan, Kerr, Fa’amausili, Ellis, Blacker & Lawrie
Hooker: McInnes, Brittian & Hunt
2nd Row T Sims, Ford & Fuimaono
Lock: Bird, Merrin & JdB

Props we are ok but the backrow is very thin. If JdB doesn’t get off or if Sims picks up another injury we are in trouble.

Hook has publicly stated he wants to add a couple more pieces. But who? Frizell might be past his best but he’s still a SOO player.

I will be surprised if Griffin plays Hunt at Hooker.......he will more than likely be our starting halfback.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I will be surprised if Griffin plays Hunt at Hooker.......he will more than likely be our starting halfback.

I agree, but Clune might have something to say about that. Also given our lack of depth McInnes might have to play lock out of necessity.

On the positive side you’d expect Lomax, Kerr & McInnes to come back from origin camp better players

getsmarty

Immortal
I agree, but Clune might have something to say about that. Also given our lack of depth McInnes might have to play lock out of necessity.

On the positive side you’d expect Lomax, Kerr & McInnes to come back from origin camp better players

Correct re Clune...i.M.H.O would replace Norman... McInnes and Brittian may be the Main Hookers...
@George Dragon may be able to tell us of any "smokies" re selection.

Coach has identified our pack as the weakest link...McGregor was clueless....Let's see what Hunt can do behind a dominant pack with a coach who can actually set proper game plans.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Correct re Clune...i.M.H.O would replace Norman... McInnes and Brittian may be the Main Hookers...

Coach has identified our pack as the weakest link...McGregor was clueless....Let's see what Hunt can do behind a dominant pack with a coach who can actually set proper game plans.

I thought it was telling that Hunt was dropped for game 3 & Qld improved significantly. Likely end of his rep career. Not unlike our round 20 game against Melbourne we were far more fluid with McInnes at 9, Sullivan at 6 & Clune at 7.

It’s a tough call, 4 players for 2 spots. Sullivan & Clune are obviously the future so I’d start with those 2, drop Norman to the reggies & use Hunt as a utility 14.

getsmarty

Immortal
FUTURE STAR WILL STAY AT BRONCOS

Brisbane prop Thomas Flegler will stay at Red Hill on a two-year extension worth $1.3 million despite a host of Sydney clubs showing plenty of interest in the 21-year-old.

The Courier Mail reports Flegler knocked back deals worth up to $800,000 a season to stay loyal to the Broncos and new coach Kevin Walters.

“I could have made a lot more money elsewhere, however I trust my agent and I want to be a one-club player at the Broncos,” Flegler told The Courier Mail.

“I am looking forward to being coached by ‘Kevvie’.”

Sydney clubs including the Dragons and Bulldogs kept a close eye on his situation despite his season being overshadowed by injury.

While Flegler’s form was hot and cold this season, he’s still considered one of the best up and coming forwards.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/2ebee75870385ea2df9e2213eb87db91