What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope the NRL put a stop to this sooner rather than later. A fine not good enough for Manly or other clubs tapping up players. I would make the fine that they release a player in their top 30 to the club impacted and they pay that players salary for 24 months. Or better still make them pay the player the amount they offered, but the player remains with the club. So if Manly offered Saab 400k a season in this case, they now pay him 400k for the next 2 seasons and Saints pay Nil and he has to remain at Saints. That is the best way around this.

Player manager should be de-registered immediately.

Lets see how they feel about that.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I hope the NRL put a stop to this sooner rather than later. A fine not good enough for Manly or other clubs tapping up players. I would make the fine that they release a player in their top 30 to the club impacted and they pay that players salary for 24 months. Or better still make them pay the player the amount they offered, but the player remains with the club. So if Manly offered Saab 400k a season in this case, they now pay him 400k for the next 2 seasons and Saints pay Nil and he has to remain at Saints. That is the best way around this.

Player manager should be de-registered immediately.

Lets see how they feel about that.

I like the idea of only allowing them to leave on the same coin they’re on at their current club, that’d cut out the money hungry managers and players quick smart.

BLM01

First Grade
I like the idea of only allowing them to leave on the same coin they’re on at their current club, that’d cut out the money hungry managers and players quick smart.
How does that stop clubs offering some cash under the table or something else on the side as they currently do with either third parties or anything else to make up the diff
For me they don’t allow them to go or play elsewhere till their current contracts finished
That tool pro be challenged on the grounds of mental issues
So bottom line there’s nothing the NRL can do unless legally they can make them honour the contract

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
How does that stop clubs offering some cash under the table or something else on the side as they currently do with either third parties or anything else to make up the diff
For me they don’t allow them to go or play elsewhere till their current contracts finished
That tool pro be challenged on the grounds of mental issues
So bottom line there’s nothing the NRL can do unless legally they can make them honour the contract

Ideally you’d have everybody honouring their contracts, but we don’t live in that world. If a club wants to enact on shady dealings they already can, Easts are testament to that. Maybe we need a designated cap auditer? All of a sudden if a young bloke on a developmental contract starts driving around in a lambo and dips his fingers into the property market questions can be asked

getsmarty

Immortal
DISGRUNTLED DRAGONS YOUNG GUN MISSES TRAINING

Dragons winger Jason Saab missed the first week of training under Anthony Griffin after informing the club he needed time to deal with personal issues.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Saab’s manager, Mario Tartak, who has been pushing for a release for his client for months, confirmed the young winger absent for new coach Anthony Griffin’s first day in charge on Tuesday.

Saab reportedly wants out of the remaining two years of his Dragons deal to join the Manly Sea Eagles on a deal worth more than he is on at St George Illawarra.

7a84391d3f18d7de684a6cd9b98d1b09

Jason Saab missed the first week of training under Anthony Griffin.
The Dragons understand Saab’s predicament in that he does not want to travel from Western Sydney to Wollongong for every training session for family reasons.

However, St George Illawarra officials can’t understand how a commute from Greystanes where Saab lives to Manly’s training base in Narrabeen is any less time consuming with the traffic involved.

The Dragons are expected to play hard ball until they reach an outcome that suits the club.

TIGERS WON’T RELEASE WANTAWAY TIGERS STAR

Mark Geyer has slammed Tigers prop Josh Aloiai and his management for trying to angle their way out of the club for a richer deal at the Sea Eagles.

Aloiai has been ordered back to training on November 30 and the Tigers won’t release him until there is an advantageous outcome for the club.

Aloiai’s manager also manages the man he is trying to replace at Manly.

“This is what is being alleged, Aloiai’s manager also manages Addin Fonua-Blake who left the Sea Eagles in another dicey situation because Addin couldn’t stay in Sydney for certain reasons,” Ginnane said on Triple M.

“He signed with the Warriors on a lucrative deal, which is fine, but now Manly has got a hole.

“And it would be more beneficial to Aloiai and the manager if he went to Manly because he can sign for more money.”

Geyer called for the Tigers and other clubs to sit players out in order to make a stand against player managers holding clubs to ransom.

“Sooner or later we are going to see a club draw a line in the sand,” Geyer said.

“It seems the poor old Tigers are involved again. Ryan Matterson did the same thing last year.

“It won’t stop until someone bites down on the mouthguard and says you are staying.”

https://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/nrl...t/news-story/4e6277d91614183ef962fde35fe6b149

Gareth67

First Grade
DISGRUNTLED DRAGONS YOUNG GUN MISSES TRAINING

Dragons winger Jason Saab missed the first week of training under Anthony Griffin after informing the club he needed time to deal with personal issues.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Saab’s manager, Mario Tartak, who has been pushing for a release for his client for months, confirmed the young winger absent for new coach Anthony Griffin’s first day in charge on Tuesday.

Saab reportedly wants out of the remaining two years of his Dragons deal to join the Manly Sea Eagles on a deal worth more than he is on at St George Illawarra.

7a84391d3f18d7de684a6cd9b98d1b09

Jason Saab missed the first week of training under Anthony Griffin.
The Dragons understand Saab’s predicament in that he does not want to travel from Western Sydney to Wollongong for every training session for family reasons.

However, St George Illawarra officials can’t understand how a commute from Greystanes where Saab lives to Manly’s training base in Narrabeen is any less time consuming with the traffic involved.

The Dragons are expected to play hard ball until they reach an outcome that suits the club.

TIGERS WON’T RELEASE WANTAWAY TIGERS STAR

Mark Geyer has slammed Tigers prop Josh Aloiai and his management for trying to angle their way out of the club for a richer deal at the Sea Eagles.

Aloiai has been ordered back to training on November 30 and the Tigers won’t release him until there is an advantageous outcome for the club.

Aloiai’s manager also manages the man he is trying to replace at Manly.

“This is what is being alleged, Aloiai’s manager also manages Addin Fonua-Blake who left the Sea Eagles in another dicey situation because Addin couldn’t stay in Sydney for certain reasons,” Ginnane said on Triple M.

“He signed with the Warriors on a lucrative deal, which is fine, but now Manly has got a hole.

“And it would be more beneficial to Aloiai and the manager if he went to Manly because he can sign for more money.”

Geyer called for the Tigers and other clubs to sit players out in order to make a stand against player managers holding clubs to ransom.

“Sooner or later we are going to see a club draw a line in the sand,” Geyer said.

“It seems the poor old Tigers are involved again. Ryan Matterson did the same thing last year.

“It won’t stop until someone bites down on the mouthguard and says you are staying.”

https://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/nrl...t/news-story/4e6277d91614183ef962fde35fe6b149

What’s really gets to me is that a blood sucking agent can single-handily undo the NRL’s contractual system , which has been put in place to ensure that all participants in the arrangement - the club and player are protected .

Yet time and time again over the years - more predominant nowadays - players want out.
Suddenly the contract is not worth the paper it is printed on , the agent/s school their player in just what is required to ensure that they secure an early release .

The player wins , undoubtedly on a fatter $ contract with his new club ( “ I have always wanted to play for them ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper “ - or the other popular reason to join Manly - “ I still have a pin-up of Freddy Jones on my bedroom wall “ ) , the greedy agent has more dollars in his pockets - which stretch all the way to the ground - but of course the departing players club is left to pick up the pieces .

The Tigers Josh Aloiai case is the perfect example of another club and agent rorting the system . One week his agent is seeking a extension to the players present contract and then a week later the player demands an early release .

Something definitely smells rotten in Denmark - err I mean Brookvale .

When will it all end ? Once the clubs make a stand and play hardball and demand a like for like replacement plus a 10% monetary bonus thrown in for the disruption to their club .

Of course on the other hand the NRL C.E.O could get off his arse , make a call to the salary cap auditor and tell him to commence an investigation into exactly what has taken place .

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
What’s really gets to me is that a blood sucking agent can single-handily undo the NRL’s contractual system , which has been put in place to ensure that all participants in the arrangement - the club and player are protected .

Yet time and time again over the years - more predominant nowadays - players want out.
Suddenly the contract is not worth the paper it is printed on , the agent/s school their player in just what is required to ensure that they secure an early release .

The player wins , undoubtedly on a fatter $ contract with his new club ( “ I have always wanted to play for them ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper “ - or the other popular reason to join Manly - “ I still have a pin-up of Freddy Jones on my bedroom wall “ ) , the greedy agent has more dollars in his pockets - which stretch all the way to the ground - but of course the departing players club is left to pick up the pieces .

The Tigers Josh Aloiai case is the perfect example of another club and agent rorting the system . One week his agent is seeking a extension to the players present contract and then a week later the player demands an early release .

When will it all end ? Once the clubs make a stand and play hardball and demand a like for like replacement plus a 10% monetary bonus thrown in for the disruption to their club .

Of course on the other hand the NRL C.E.O could get off his arse , make a call to the salary cap auditor and tell him to commence an investigation into exactly what has taken place .

The NRL need to grow some balls and de-register the player agent! That would put a stop to it.

Gareth67

First Grade
The NRL need to grow some balls and de-register the player agent! That would put a stop to it.

It certainly would RVR , but hold your horses buddy , the agent is a 100% certified real McCoy agent - as you have said registered by the NRL itself and only after undergoing the most stringent checks .

Undoubtedly the NRL truly needs to audit its current procedures it has in place for approving these agents - either that or ensure that all future contracts are signed with invisible ink . :writing_hand_tone1:

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Suddenly the contract is not worth the paper
Undoubtedly the NRL truly needs to audit its current procedures it has in place for approving these agents - either that or ensure that all future contracts are signed with invisible ink . :writing_hand_tone1:
NRL and clubs could have made it not so ‘accommodating‘ and easy for player managers over the years. Their impact has been a negative one on the game and whist understanding the players be represented, it has come at a costs to the game. Greater focus on these type of contracts and negotiations limits their power somewhat; keep going .....

Juniors
Just get rid of the clown, and see if we can get some cash compensation- too much effort for little reward in all of this.
I don’t know. I like that we’re playing hard ball. Notwithstanding any personal issues the guy might actually have. I mean we have to have a heart and show empathy when called for yes, but as we know the credibility of the organisation starts from the top and the actions lately have all been a consistent ‘the time for disrespecting the Dragons’ is over. I love that. Once that flows down onto the field it will be a thing to behold. Hoping anyway ....

George Sancti

Juniors

You are 100% correct Gareth67 in your assessment of the player agents. I am not familiar with the player contracts, however, I am certain that they would contain a mechanism to vary the term of the contract.

The problem is the player agents do not undertake an honourable negotiation with the club. Instead they leak untruths/part truths to the media and try to apply pressure so that the club releases the player with little or no benefit to the club.

Unfortunately, most players believe that the player agent is acting in the player’s interests, when in fact, the player agent is acting in the interests of the player agent. Delivering a player to a new club for a higher sign on fee means the player agent’s percentage is worth more money.

Gareth67

First Grade
You are 100% correct Gareth67 in your assessment of the player agents. I am not familiar with the player contracts, however, I am certain that they would contain a mechanism to vary the term of the contract.

The problem is the player agents do not undertake an honourable negotiation with the club. Instead they leak untruths/part truths to the media and try to apply pressure so that the club releases the player with little or no benefit to the club.

Unfortunately, most players believe that the player agent is acting in the player’s interests, when in fact, the player agent is acting in the interests of the player agent. Delivering a player to a new club for a higher sign on fee means the player agent’s percentage is worth more money.

Exactly George , the key word in your post is - honorable and that above all else is what is required in all players contracts it represents the very fabric of the game itself .

Yet it can all come undone by a self serving agent whom only has his own best interests at heart . The NRL has thrown worms into the apple barrel of rugby league , we all know just how much damage one of those creepy little crawlers can do , so imagine what happens when there are more than one of the little beggars .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Tell him to get his manager to do his job

If he wants to move on his manager needs to find us a suitable replacement

Then he can go to Manly for more coin and his manager can earn his extra commission

He cannot go to Manly or for that matter any other club , at least not until his personal issues have been resolved .

St Tangles

Bench
He cannot go to Manly or for that matter any other club , at least not until his personal issues have been resolved .
Even when his personal issues are resolved if we don't get a replacement his not going anywhere

I hope as a club we stick to our guns