What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if you're Brandon Smith

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Been saying for two years now, if B Smith wants to genuinely be a leading hooker he needs to get out of Melbourne because his versatility makes it way too easy to get shunted around and the Cam/Grant overlap will be too hard to wedge yourself between.

Cam playing on an extra year or two plus the loan deal for Grant probably accelerated things. Thought B Smith would get at least 1-2 seasons before being shunted for Harry.

I hope Cam Smith announces he has signed on with the Storm for another 2 years. Harry Grant goes to the Titans and leads them to a premiership. Brandon Smith goes back to the Cowboys and Granville goes to the Storm in a trade deal. Then Cam Smith does his ACL in Round 1 and Melbourne are stuck with a bloke at hooker who cannot pass.

Oh please let it happen.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
His best footy has been in the forwards. When has he even played a full game at hooker except a couple of kiwi and club games?

He's far from a proven 80 minute hooker at the moment and a distant 3rd behind Cam Smith and Harry Grant.

Styles clash

Juniors
shithole that is Melbourne
giphy.gif

aqua_duck

Coach
Smith is a good dummy half runner but doesn't have as many strings to his bow as Grant, I think he'll eventually move into the starting lock position and fill in at dummy half at times during the game

Johns Magic

Referee
Would any clubs offer him big money as a 9? From what I’ve seen I’m not convinced. I think the role he has been playing suits him to a tee.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I'd be staying where I was and play in a successful side, then think about the Warriors for a nice pay day later in his career.

Worked for not only Adam Blair, Issac Luke but Ryan Hoffman, Todd Lowrie, Blake Green, Shaun Berrigan etc.

Chimp

Juniors
Yeah, I'd be staying where I was and play in a successful side, then think about the Warriors for a nice pay day later in his career.

Worked for not only Adam Blair, Issac Luke but Ryan Hoffman, Todd Lowrie, Blake Green, Shaun Berrigan etc.
Depends how different the money is I suppose. I think the ball running 13 is his best position in the modern game, but that likely isn’t as lucrative as playing 9.
Staying at Storm should be (and I’m sure would be) his preference. But if he stays at Storm as a 13 and earns let’s say 650k, but could go to say the Tigers or Titans as a 9 and earn around 850k - over 4 years that’s a big difference, extrapolate that out over a full career of say 10 years, he’s losing out on 2 million in what is a very short career....
It’s easy for us who have only ever known the game as a hobby or a fan to all sit at home and expect them to make the ‘honourable’ decision, or the decision that makes most sense in terms of winning stuff, but ultimately, for these guys, when that sort of money is involved, it’s much less of a hobby and far more a job.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
When it comes down to it, it will depend on what Smith ultimately wants to achieve.

Does he want to be a multiple time champion and earn a pretty good wage, which is something he'll be able to do at the Storm, even if it means him playing 2nd fiddle or even reinventing himself as a back rower, or does he want to take a risk, go to a club rebuilding like the Titans or Warriors on a bigger wage and try and make a fist of it.

It will be interesting to see how the Warriors go next year... Imo if we play well and jag a 5th-7th on the ladder, with NZ being home for him we could look like a tempting option. But if we finish 11th-15th then I can't see him being too interested.

Time will tell I guess

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Depends how different the money is I suppose. I think the ball running 13 is his best position in the modern game, but that likely isn’t as lucrative as playing 9.
Staying at Storm should be (and I’m sure would be) his preference. But if he stays at Storm as a 13 and earns let’s say 650k, but could go to say the Tigers or Titans as a 9 and earn around 850k - over 4 years that’s a big difference, extrapolate that out over a full career of say 10 years, he’s losing out on 2 million in what is a very short career....
It’s easy for us who have only ever known the game as a hobby or a fan to all sit at home and expect them to make the ‘honourable’ decision, or the decision that makes most sense in terms of winning stuff, but ultimately, for these guys, when that sort of money is involved, it’s much less of a hobby and far more a job.

In no way do I think honourable needs to come into it. Your 'honour' lies with your family first. Obviously there's dishonourable in the way you can deal with things, but leaving a club and being up front about it for $ isn't that.

You're right, it all comes down to how the individual views the money side of things. You can come to the Warriors on $900k, a club that has made the finals once in 10 years and has never won a premiership. Maybe things will turn around under new management, maybe it won't. And as you say, you might bank $1m+ (nett) out of such a move. But memories, premierships, the price put on let's say being a 3-4 time premiership winner after your career etc...that needs to be weighed up as well. It's not a straight forward equation of x earnings versus y, or it shouldn't be if you're a competitor.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

how could you forget Dane Nielsen??

Looking back I think Friendy and Tohu are the only ex Stormers that we have had who haven't taken the piss

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Bit harsh on Hoffman. Thought he did okay.

IF i were Smith, I'd look to leave the Storm. He's been backup for too long, Cam Smith is delaying his announcement, Grant there as well.

Leave, be a 9, not a 14. Where to though? Well, he's got a premiership already.... honestly, and I might cop some hate, but I'd just go to whomever is offering the best money. Career is only so short.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
how could you forget Dane Nielsen??

Looking back I think Friendy and Tohu are the only ex Stormers that we have had who haven't taken the piss

Hoffman was decent, he gave it most of his arse. Just wish he'd cut the 'we won all those titles' crap.

Bit harsh on Hoffman. Thought he did okay.

IF i were Smith, I'd look to leave the Storm. He's been backup for too long, Cam Smith is delaying his announcement, Grant there as well.

Leave, be a 9, not a 14. Where to though? Well, he's got a premiership already.... honestly, and I might cop some hate, but I'd just go to whomever is offering the best money. Career is only so short.

I hear you but if he's got a role as a loose forward in the Storm, a team that's going to be in every finals series, probably a lot of GFs, I'm fairly confident they'll win more premierships during his career (whether he's there or not)....he'll have to weigh up whether that's something he wants to leave for 200k extra a year to go to a side that might have every September off. It's how much competitive element you have in you I guess, or whether money motivates you (baring in mind that every happiness survey in the world suggests when you're over 100k or so, making more contributes very little or nothing to happiness....you can poopoo that, but it's proven).

Latest posts