What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Jane Murray

Bench
This one hurts in relation to Gordon. The guy was my favourite player while here and for some reason someone I just thought was a player you would never see do anything bad. Seemed like a great bloke and family man who had great morals and its just such a shock to me. I loved him no matter what jersey he wore after leaving as well.
You're not alone there.

The Realist

Juniors
This is a shock to me. I used to chat with Micky Gordon regularly during the season and he struck me as the absolute LAST type of person to do this sort of thing. Just the nicest and most honest footy player I have ever met.

Pretty devastating to me as he was my favourite player - criminally under utilized by the most hopeless coach in Matthew Elliot.

Looks like two (one of them technically) ex-Panthers can’t take some well-deserved criticism..........

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cronulla-at-crisis-point-over-reported-player-unrest-contract-questions/news-story/4ba772d4b834cac57c34855d57df4e1

Cronulla at crisis point over reported player unrest, contract questions

NOVEMBER 23, 20209:39am

Cronulla is at crisis point after reports coach John Morris has lost the dressing room.

Morris remains without a contract beyond the 2021 NRL season and it emerged on Monday there is unrest within the dressing room among senior players, including stars Andrew Fifita and Matt Moylan.

Morris has reportedly asked tough questions of his underperforming senior players — and it has rubbed some players the wrong way, according to The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield.

“I feel very sorry for John Morris because he was left with overpaid, underperforming players,” Rothfield said on The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I’m talking about Matt Moylan, Josh Dugan and Andrew Fifita. He also lost Josh Morris this year and Bronson Xerri.

“Still in his two years at the club he has taken them into the top eight.

“But he is off contract next year, so his management have gone and asked for an extension and the Sharks have knocked it back.

“As I understand it they are going to wait 10 weeks into next season before making a decision and just see how the Sharks are travelling.

“I think this is a dangerous story when coaches futures are debated in the media as his will be it will have a very unsettling effect on the football team.”

Rothfield reports Morris put the hard word on Moylan and Fifita by reportedly asking them to find new clubs or consider applying to the NRL to be medically retired.

Fifita has battled long-term knee injuries in recent years while Moylan played just eight games this season.

“There is all this talk about John Morris losing the sheds and the support of the senior players,” Rothfield said.

“I think this story is correct, but I applaud John Morris for the reason this has happened.

“What he did was he went to Matt Moylan and said if you can find another club go find one. And he read him out his performance review for the last two years and it has been ordinary.

“He also went to Andrew Fifita and said, you are struggling with your knee and you can’t keep your weight in order and you are struggling to train let alone play.

“Have you thought about medical retirement?

“And players don’t like being asked these tough questions or being told the truth.

“Wade Graham is best mates with Moylan and it unsettles players and Aaron Woods is close to all these boys and this is the problem they get.

“But John Morris is doing his job. He’s right these boys needed to have the chat.”

It comes after a report last week revealed the Sharks have emerged as a late player in the contract race for Panthers young gun Matt Burton.

The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio revealed the Sharks are trying to snatch Burton out of the Bulldogs’ hands.

According to reports, The Dogs have offered Burton a $1.6 million deal for 2022 and 2023 - and are hoping the Panthers will grant him an early release to join Canterbury for the 2021 season.

“Interestingly, the Sharks are making a little play for Matt Burton,” Riccio said.

“We all know the Bulldogs are in the box seat to pry Matt Burton out of Penrith, however, I understand the Sharks — as somewhat of a replacement for the off-contract Matt Moylan at the end of next year — Matt Burton is right on their radar.”

And what’s the bet that John Morris loses his job before these two?!? :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

Jane Murray

Bench
Looks like two (one of them technically) ex-Panthers can’t take some well-deserved criticism..........

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cronulla-at-crisis-point-over-reported-player-unrest-contract-questions/news-story/4ba772d4b834cac57c34855d57df4e1

Cronulla at crisis point over reported player unrest, contract questions

NOVEMBER 23, 20209:39am

Cronulla is at crisis point after reports coach John Morris has lost the dressing room.

Morris remains without a contract beyond the 2021 NRL season and it emerged on Monday there is unrest within the dressing room among senior players, including stars Andrew Fifita and Matt Moylan.

Morris has reportedly asked tough questions of his underperforming senior players — and it has rubbed some players the wrong way, according to The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield.

“I feel very sorry for John Morris because he was left with overpaid, underperforming players,” Rothfield said on The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I’m talking about Matt Moylan, Josh Dugan and Andrew Fifita. He also lost Josh Morris this year and Bronson Xerri.

“Still in his two years at the club he has taken them into the top eight.

“But he is off contract next year, so his management have gone and asked for an extension and the Sharks have knocked it back.

“As I understand it they are going to wait 10 weeks into next season before making a decision and just see how the Sharks are travelling.

“I think this is a dangerous story when coaches futures are debated in the media as his will be it will have a very unsettling effect on the football team.”

Rothfield reports Morris put the hard word on Moylan and Fifita by reportedly asking them to find new clubs or consider applying to the NRL to be medically retired.

Fifita has battled long-term knee injuries in recent years while Moylan played just eight games this season.

“There is all this talk about John Morris losing the sheds and the support of the senior players,” Rothfield said.

“I think this story is correct, but I applaud John Morris for the reason this has happened.

“What he did was he went to Matt Moylan and said if you can find another club go find one. And he read him out his performance review for the last two years and it has been ordinary.

“He also went to Andrew Fifita and said, you are struggling with your knee and you can’t keep your weight in order and you are struggling to train let alone play.

“Have you thought about medical retirement?

“And players don’t like being asked these tough questions or being told the truth.

“Wade Graham is best mates with Moylan and it unsettles players and Aaron Woods is close to all these boys and this is the problem they get.

“But John Morris is doing his job. He’s right these boys needed to have the chat.”

It comes after a report last week revealed the Sharks have emerged as a late player in the contract race for Panthers young gun Matt Burton.

The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio revealed the Sharks are trying to snatch Burton out of the Bulldogs’ hands.

According to reports, The Dogs have offered Burton a $1.6 million deal for 2022 and 2023 - and are hoping the Panthers will grant him an early release to join Canterbury for the 2021 season.

“Interestingly, the Sharks are making a little play for Matt Burton,” Riccio said.

“We all know the Bulldogs are in the box seat to pry Matt Burton out of Penrith, however, I understand the Sharks — as somewhat of a replacement for the off-contract Matt Moylan at the end of next year — Matt Burton is right on their radar.”

And what’s the bet that John Morris loses his job before these two?!? :rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

I have said this before, and I will say this again, Matt Burton will be mad to join any of these clubs. Stay put, Matt, and watch your career rise.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wait Bulldogs offering Burton $800k a season?

Honestly the kid has potential but he's not worth a gamble that big. I thought they were offering $800k over 2 years so $400k a season which still seems high but a risk worth taking.

No way he's staying when he could be a millionaire at other clubs.

WestyLife

First Grade
Wait Bulldogs offering Burton $800k a season?

Honestly the kid has potential but he's not worth a gamble that big. I thought they were offering $800k over 2 years so $400k a season which still seems high but a risk worth taking.

No way he's staying when he could be a millionaire at other clubs.

Sounds like someone misunderstood the $800k over 2 years and wrote it as one year.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Wow... (in relation to the Flash news)

I would NEVER, in a million years, have thought he would be involved in something like this.

Legitimately once of the most humble and down to earth footy players I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Kilkenny

Coach
Wow... (in relation to the Flash news)

I would NEVER, in a million years, have thought he would be involved in something like this.

Legitimately once of the most humble and down to earth footy players I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

I haven’t read any details around the charges, I’m not sure there has been any details given he was granted bail so no court appearance as yet.

The only thing I will say and obviously I don’t know the facts but if I buy cocaine and give a bit of my wife and best mate to enjoy that is considered to be ‘supply’

It may not necessarily be the case he is involved in the supply of a prohibited drug for monetary gain.

Im not defending him but maybe he is not a dealer per say.

Probably need to wait for a little while until more information becomes available.

Regardless, any plans he had around a career post playing, in coaching, are over I would suggest.

age.s

First Grade
This one hurts in relation to Gordon. The guy was my favourite player while here and for some reason someone I just thought was a player you would never see do anything bad. Seemed like a great bloke and family man who had great morals and its just such a shock to me. I loved him no matter what jersey he wore after leaving as well.

100%. One of my all time favorite players. Seemed like an absolute cleanskin. Very sad.

martielang

Bench
I haven’t read any details around the charges, I’m not sure there has been any details given he was granted bail so no court appearance as yet.

The only thing I will say and obviously I don’t know the facts but if I buy cocaine and give a bit of my wife and best mate to enjoy that is considered to be ‘supply’

It may not necessarily be the case he is involved in the supply of a prohibited drug for monetary gain.

Probably need to wait for a little while until more information becomes available.

Regardless, any plans he had around a career post playing, in coaching, are over I would suggest.

From what I’ve been told, his involvement runs deeper than that. Allegedly.

ACTPanthers

Bench

Yeah like @martielang said, from what I've read it seems he was a little more involved than that...

So sad if true.

The_Frog

First Grade
Sounds like someone misunderstood the $800k over 2 years and wrote it as one year.
Even $400k a year for a fringe first grader seems overs, but they're rolling the dice over at Belmore and the kid does show promise. I would have spent some dosh on a real coach though. I suspect Barrett was attractive due to the players he could attract.

Latest posts