What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If you are in your mid 30's then I guarantee you were not around to see the fire in the pubs back in the 80's and 90's that I am talking about because the game was much less sanitised then
and Yes more people (per population) watched NRL then... before it became full time professional and it became about just an and elite level TV entertainment product and throwing monet at it...which put a lot of loyal rugby league followers in my era off..(I am mid 50's) .that lived and breathed it like no other before a lot of your generation starting embracing as you say all the overseas stuff like the American sports and the brotherhood way of life etc which meant they had many other nd not the same level of interest or respect for the game, tribalism culture and its past.
I still remember it, I’ve always played footy, my family are right into it, we would have massive parties on origin time with heaps of people getting blind out at our farm. It was definitely bigger back then no doubt. My point is the whole game has subsided equally not just origin. In my 37-38 short years I have seen a huge change from when I got my first non farm related job at 17 when all the blokes would wear footy shorts to work and talk footy all day to people wearing Lebron James singlets now. If anything imo origin is the only thing that even the casuals watch whereas normal NRL doesn’t have anywhere near the same tribalism it used to. I obviously still love it or I wouldn’t be a member of this forum but in general kids just aren’t playing it anymore.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yes i was trying to be as diplomatic as possible...and you are right that still usually ends up in a scrap somehow now matter how hard you try....walking on egg shells and that :oops::)
No need to be a smartarse mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because someone has a difference of opinion to you doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Careful there BLM, you don't want get into a scrap with a 30-something. They're here to save the world. ;)

I went to a CS game at Redfern, it was a great event, and in those days we always won it. So was it important? Hell yeah.

Back then, it was recognised as the unofficial start to the football season. Still was for a long while afterwards too.
Young guys trying to save the world, old blokes stuck in their ways and not open to opinions. It takes all types mate.

BLM01

First Grade
No need to be a smartarse mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because someone has a difference of opinion to you doesn’t mean they are wrong.
Chill dude...you are a sensitive one.
No one accused anyone of being wrong and I was not replying to you..pfftt...
would have to be GEN Y :)

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It was just a joke 30-something.

In my 30s, I thought I knew everything. It wasn't until my 40s that I realised I knew Jack Schitt and his extended family.
Problem is that it’s not debatable mate. Origin has a larger viewership than ever besides this year for obvious reasons. It fluctuates year to year but is trending upwards. 2016 I believe was the biggest ever. The fact is people don’t go to the pubs as much as they used to because people don’t have as much disposable income as in the past and are also working more hours along with needing two breadwinners to survive. On top of this the recent research into brain injury is not helping junior participation. All this aside origin is without a doubt the NRL’s biggest blue chip product. These are all facts backed by data not anecdotal evidence of the passion experienced in the 80s or my apprentices sporting choices.

BLM01

First Grade
Problem is that it’s not debatable mate. Origin has a larger viewership than ever besides this year for obvious reasons. It fluctuates year to year but is trending upwards. 2016 I believe was the biggest ever. The fact is people don’t go to the pubs as much as they used to because people don’t have as much disposable income as in the past and are also working more hours along with needing two breadwinners to survive. On top of this the recent research into brain injury is not helping junior participation. All this aside origin is without a doubt the NRL’s biggest blue chip product. These are all facts backed by data not anecdotal evidence of the passion experienced in the 80s or my apprentices sporting choices.
Sorry..are you saying people in the 80's and 90's had more idispensable ncome.??...beg to differ
There has never been any more spending than what the 20's and 30's a doing in the past 20 years than ever before..
Everything is throw away and has to be new and lets not talk about the gadgets and toys, cars and ink...
And..how many younger people have climbed up the ladder lot quicker and achieve big size of incomes.
And many these days own their own business
A lot (not all) need 2 incomes only to afford their lifestyle it seems
I dont know the facts but would like to see how ypou measure that

Willow

Assistant Moderator
US_living_adult_generations.png

BLM01

First Grade
Hey Mr Willow....Where have all the GEN X gone to?
Or did us baby boomers could not afford to have kids? :oops: :)
I wonder if that is the same stats for Australia?...damn States
Does anyone know what the 1997 babys are known as?

Latest posts