What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestyLife

First Grade
1: False. Future still to be determined.

2: True. He ain't going there. Don't believe the talk in the Herald. All about driving the price up. As @Buzzard Breath alluded too.

3: We still have a card to play on Leniu.

thanks for the response. It is interesting that Burton is leaving it so long must be tempting both ways,

hindy111

Post Whore
What makes people think Burton is a superstar?
? Go back 18 - 24mths and guys called Egan the next big thing. And Fitler and Gould creamed over that Hooker who went to the Dogs to play NSW cup.

Eels has a young Hooker called Kyle who everyone touted as best talent in juniors and would take Rheeds spot. This year he was only offered a Flegg spot and from hear club just doesn't rate anymore.

To many juniors are over paid and over rated. Look at Cartwright. Juniors at times people getting excited cause they are young when a guy is mid 20s does the same job he costs 35% less.
Unless your desperate let desperate teams pay overs for potential. If they get it wrong there cap is screwed.

franklin2323

Immortal
? Go back 18 - 24mths and guys called Egan the next big thing. And Fitler and Gould creamed over that Hooker who went to the Dogs to play NSW cup.

Eels has a young Hooker called Kyle who everyone touted as best talent in juniors and would take Rheeds spot. This year he was only offered a Flegg spot and from hear club just doesn't rate anymore.

To many juniors are over paid and over rated. Look at Cartwright. Juniors at times people getting excited cause they are young when a guy is mid 20s does the same job he costs 35% less.
Unless your desperate let desperate teams pay overs for potential. If they get it wrong there cap is screwed.

Of the ones off contract those who are starters are the only ones I worry about. Would be nice if he stays but it is likely as a centre. How much do you pay a rookie centre? That would be my offer it is either good enough or it isn't

franklin2323

Immortal
Good halves are in high demand

Unproven half. Say you get him he stays in NSW Cup. There is no certainty that Cooper Johns isn't settled in the 7. Especially as they have a new coach for 2022.

Alot of it is just papertalk for that reason. Only WT has a genuine hole in the halves. The rest not so.

So I genuinely think signing 2 years here is the best for those reasons

Smug Panther

First Grade
Unproven half. Say you get him he stays in NSW Cup. There is no certainty that Cooper Johns isn't settled in the 7. Especially as they have a new coach for 2022.

Alot of it is just papertalk for that reason. Only WT has a genuine hole in the halves. The rest not so.

So I genuinely think signing 2 years here is the best for those reasons
Cooper is very average

hindy111

Post Whore
Of the ones off contract those who are starters are the only ones I worry about. Would be nice if he stays but it is likely as a centre. How much do you pay a rookie centre? That would be my offer it is either good enough or it isn't

Is Burton going to be better then Nathan or Laui? If no then cut him free.
Why pay him 400k as a centre. A position he isn't suited for.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
A joke...
Blowing
Sauce
Lol

First part have no idea what your on about, obviously you find it most amusing......I'm nonplussed.

If Burton is willing to play outside the halves there will be a spot for him in the 17.

How do you know he's unsuited at centre.?....He's played their own for a few minutes during 1 or maybe 2 games.........

Long term I don't see Burton in the halves I see him as lock or 2nd row.

I wouldn’t sweat the delays, I think his comments are just aimed upping the pressure on the club to pay him, no doubt he’s speaking his managers words. It sucks that we have to pay Critta more than they agreed originally but there is a reason clubs are offering him fullback money despite only playing some odd minutes there, he wasn’t a fullback in the juniors. He is talented enough that clubs will take a big gamble on him. Another offseason for him will be huge, if he can put on a few kilos of muscle he is going to be a beast, I think there is every chance he could perform like 700k player as early as next year.

700k?!

He’d want to guarantee he’s a great fullback for that type of money, no way we can pay a centre that.

Remember the salary cap is going down, could be as much as 10%. I wouldn’t pay him a cent over 550k, with 500k+ of our money at other clubs we have to be very careful about how we distribute our cap.

Fullback.

And I also think he could kill it at centre, many 5/8’s have played the position and he’s got a big enough body to defend wider.

I’ve always been careful about overrating our juniors, many Panthers fans tend to have a bias towards them. However Burton is a genuine exception to my cautiousness, his combination of skills and size is unique. I think you can see by the demand Burton is commanding it’s not a typical overrated junior. It’s one thing for Panthers fans to overrate our players, but when you’ve got several clubs chasing him it’s a different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.