What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’ve always been careful about overrating our juniors, many Panthers fans tend to have a bias towards them. However Burton is a genuine exception to my cautiousness, his combination of skills and size is unique. I think you can see by the demand Burton is commanding it’s not a typical overrated junior. It’s one thing for Panthers fans to overrate our players, but when you’ve got several clubs chasing him it’s a different situation.

Yeah the difference is everyone rates him and wants a piece.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’ve always been careful about overrating our juniors, many Panthers fans tend to have a bias towards them. However Burton is a genuine exception to my cautiousness, his combination of skills and size is unique. I think you can see by the demand Burton is commanding it’s not a typical overrated junior. It’s one thing for Panthers fans to overrate our players, but when you’ve got several clubs chasing him it’s a different situation.

Dylan Brown over at Eels is rated a better talent then most young halves. I'm not yet convinced tbh.

betcats

Referee
700k?!

He’d want to guarantee he’s a great fullback for that type of money, no way we can pay a centre that.

Remember the salary cap is going down, could be as much as 10%. I wouldn’t pay him a cent over 550k, with 500k+ of our money at other clubs we have to be very careful about how we distribute our cap.

I’m not saying he will or should get paid 700k. I’m just saying it would not surprise if he made big progress in the offseason and started providing the value of a 700k centre. I think he can genuinely be the best outside back in the game as soon as next year, a bit more size and strength is going to make a huge difference fir him.

betcats

Referee
What makes people think Burton is a superstar?
? Go back 18 - 24mths and guys called Egan the next big thing. And Fitler and Gould creamed over that Hooker who went to the Dogs to play NSW cup.

Eels has a young Hooker called Kyle who everyone touted as best talent in juniors and would take Rheeds spot. This year he was only offered a Flegg spot and from hear club just doesn't rate anymore.

To many juniors are over paid and over rated. Look at Cartwright. Juniors at times people getting excited cause they are young when a guy is mid 20s does the same job he costs 35% less.
Unless your desperate let desperate teams pay overs for potential. If they get it wrong there cap is screwed.

Wade certainly had fans but he never had the same wrap Burton has. Not even close. Burton has a great kicking game, size, footwork and good speed. He’s got great vision and ball playing ability also. He was also one the fittest at the club after this preseason and just before the GF Jerome Luai said Burton had been the hardest trainer at the club all season long. He’s very talented, I really think he has it all but the most impressive thing about him is his attitude. He has the attitude and leadership qualities similar to Nathan Cleary but with a lot more footballing talent.

I’m not saying he will or should get paid 700k. I’m just saying it would not surprise if he made big progress in the offseason and started providing the value of a 700k centre. I think he can genuinely be the best outside back in the game as soon as next year, a bit more size and strength is going to make a huge difference fir him.

I think he’s a genuine talent, but what might hold him back from being the best back is he isn’t the quickest.

tbh I don’t think any centre is worth 700k anymore.

hindy111

Post Whore
Wade certainly had fans but he never had the same wrap Burton has. Not even close. Burton has a great kicking game, size, footwork and good speed. He’s got great vision and ball playing ability also. He was also one the fittest at the club after this preseason and just before the GF Jerome Luai said Burton had been the hardest trainer at the club all season long. He’s very talented, I really think he has it all but the most impressive thing about him is his attitude. He has the attitude and leadership qualities similar to Nathan Cleary but with a lot more footballing talent.

Then Dump Nathan. Go with Burton.

Luai seems to compliment either better then they'd compliment each other

The Realist

Juniors
I am in the camp of Luai and Burton are better halves than Cleary in all aspects other than long kicking game and defense.

How much is Nathan on? I bet some of the other talented players in the roster see him on 7 figures and think to themselves;

Why should I settle for half of that or less? He is never going to be dropped or traded away - his dad is the coach! He isn't going to take a pay cut to 'keep the team together' so why should I have to sacrifice for the team when they(the Clearys) won't?

This is the problem with having a coach who is family with a key player!

In saying that since 2010 we have constantly chopped and changed our halves (And spine) despite having talent in the position (Graham,Austin, Coote, Moylan even Cartwright pre injury) .

This hurt us greatly during the Gus years, having absolutely no stability in these positions. Sometimes you have to pick and stick despite the potential shiner new toy coming up. Otherwise with all the 'churn' you never get the maximium value out of your existing roster. Experience does matter.

The Realist

Juniors

If Penrith were in the position of challenging for premierships in 3 years time with an ultra young roster I would make the move (Obviously under a different coach!) But such as move is insanity when inside a premiership window. Would Parramatta punt Moses for instance if there was a very talented but unproven 21 year old half coming up?

hindy111

Post Whore
If Penrith were in the position of challenging for premierships in 3 years time with an ultra young roster I would make the move (Obviously under a different coach!) But such as move is insanity when inside a premiership window. Would Parramatta punt Moses for instance if there was a very talented but unproven 21 year old half coming up?

I would Moses is hot and cold.
Nathan shows glimpses then goes back to robot mode. His kicking game though can be brilliant

hindy111

Post Whore
There are times Hindy when I have to take your comments with a grain of salt.

This is one of them.

Spoken like someone who supports Parramatta.

I don't see Burton and Nathan as a good combo.

I like Nathan and would be happy to keep. But if Burton's a half then there is no room. Unless can use him elsewhere.

I reckon Burton and Spencer will stay along with Crigthon. I reckon Naden will be gone with Mansour and Tamou. That will be all.

betcats

Referee
I think he’s a genuine talent, but what might hold him back from being the best back is he isn’t the quickest.

tbh I don’t think any centre is worth 700k anymore.

I think he has plenty of athletic improvement in him tbh thats what makes me think he could be at such a high level next year. Skill wise he is already very well rounded and he has good instincts but I think he still has plenty to learn about the game, he hasnt been playing at a high level for half as long as most kids that hit the nrl and create hype like this, he was playing D grade just a few years ago.

We’re not dumping Cleary, you can’t start again now we have a 100 game origin half. But even if we were considering it, Luai & Burton are both left field players. Cleary & Luai is the better combination, second best would be Cleary & Burton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts