What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bomber Morris Issue

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Might be on my own but I’d extend Bomber for one more year..... with Mooney pulling the recruitment strings and Bomber bringing the young blokes through it could be a good combo imo. Players we’re attempting to recruit for 22 will want to know who’s at the helm.

Last edited:

Inferno

Coach
There's no point giving him 1 year.

Off contract this year we have
Dugan: ~ 600k
Shaun Johnson: ~800k
Moylan: ~800K
Woods: ~650K

That's 1/3 of our salary cap. If he's going to be re-signed it should be for 2-3 years. If not then we're just going to be saddling a new coach with a bunch of talent he may not want.

Quigs

Immortal
Is there any NRL Club that is not embroiled with internal shit fights?

Watching league nooze is like waiting for whose next.

Funny old season this one and it 'ain't' over yet. Not by a long shot.

azzah72

Bench
Bomber deserves his chance to build and coach the team he wants, not this injury-prone retirement village he has right now.

He's proven he can get the team to attack and attack well.

He's shown he can instil the attitude in most of the players to give a shit.

Sure he needs a few things tightened up, particularly defence but he was running off an oily rag and I truly believe he has the right stuff given time.

It just may mean we need to cop a couple of "rebuilding" years, patience will be the key.

knowing the sharks, we will offload him, he'll end up somewhere else, probably attract all of the young guns he's blooded to his new club and we'll end up with Stephen Kearney or Siebold or some shit.

Eion

First Grade
I’ve got no problems waiting 10 weeks or so before considering his position.

Its not like Morris is in high demand in the market. Imagine if we sign him for 2-3 years now and don’t win a game for 2 months? It doesn’t matter if you have a contract or not, the pressure will come to dump him.

Chimp

Bench
I’ve got no problems waiting 10 weeks or so before considering his position.

Its not like Morris is in high demand in the market. Imagine if we sign him for 2-3 years now and don’t win a game for 2 months? It doesn’t matter if you have a contract or not, the pressure will come to dump him.
100% right - I can’t see any clubs lining up wanting to poach him. We don’t want to be ‘doing a Mary’....

That being said, I’m glad he’s having those medical retirement conversations - those are the tough conversations he needs to have..... Hopefully he’ll have some ‘either make your tackles or F-Off somewhere else’ conversations with the whole squad too.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I'm more than happy to wait till 10 or so weeks in but a few things concern me

SJ is out for the first maybe 10 weeks. If we're running with a Trindall/Chad/Tracey halves combo I'm not confident we'll have a very good 10 weeks. Is Morris going to be judged on that ? I really hope not.

How will it affect recruitment ? Players want to know who the coach is. Are big key signings going to be interested if we don't have a coach?

I think Mooney plays a key part. He might think it necessary to have Morris extended to help with recruitment. He might not think it necessary. Probably hasn't worked with Morris too much but they'd know each other when Mooney was his earlier. Mooney might have recruited him actually ??

ghoti

Bench
The whole discussion around Bomber has been interesting...those in favour of keeping him tend to focus on how unfair it's been on him and the shit he's dealt with, that he deserves a shot with his own squad. You don't hear that much for NRL coaches, reward for perseverance. Shows how likeable Bomber is I guess?

I'm lately more of the mind that he should stay since it truly is impressive how well he did with all the shit thrown at him...and FINALLY had our juniors coming through which we've missed for a long long time.

The news story is a beat up Imo

Frailty

First Grade
Honestly, if Fifita and Moylan are upset with their performance review, then they clearly can't deal with reality too well.

The Sharks are screwing over Morris here. If they are really giving him '10 weeks to prove his position', whilst they know Johnson will be out of the team, then just sack him now. It's an absolute joke that the club is going to side with Fifita and Moylan over a coach that has brought through some amazing talent the past two seasons.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
The whole discussion around Bomber has been interesting...those in favour of keeping him tend to focus on how unfair it's been on him and the shit he's dealt with, that he deserves a shot with his own squad. You don't hear that much for NRL coaches, reward for perseverance. Shows how likeable Bomber is I guess?

I'm lately more of the mind that he should stay since it truly is impressive how well he did with all the shit thrown at him...and FINALLY had our juniors coming through which we've missed for a long long time.

The news story is a beat up Imo
Buzz stirring the pot yet again....shit merkin

shadowboxer

First Grade
Buzz must of written that in a portaloo down down at sharks park - there’s crap all the way through it.
He is a dead set flog

Weaponhead

Coach
Morris is either the right man to take the club forward or he is not. The club needs to make a decision based on the next 3 to 5 years not the first 10 weeks of the season. Everyone knows next year will be a transition with moving on big contracts. The amount of cap to invest for 22 on requires a strategic approach to build a squad that can challenge.

Stake Removed

First Grade
If we wait 10 weeks there is potential to miss out on quality players who will want to know who is the coach going forward, they also may not want to deal with any players we sign up to then.

Looking at coaches available for 2022 there is plenty of quality already with proven success.
Bomber seems like a good guy but him signing Hannay straight up looked likes he wanted somewhere there who is not a direct threat to his job, he could have even gone down picking a Neil Henry type but no.
A quick glance who is off contract for 2022

Des Hasler
Craig Bellamy
Wayne Bennett
Michael Maguire
Shane Flanagan
Paul Green
Geoff Toovey
Bernie McDermott

All of these coaches are higher profile coaches who would be able to entice players to the club and put structures in place

shaggs

Coach
If we wait 10 weeks there is potential to miss out on quality players who will want to know who is the coach going forward, they also may not want to deal with any players we sign up to then.

Looking at coaches available for 2022 there is plenty of quality already with proven success.
Bomber seems like a good guy but him signing Hannay straight up looked likes he wanted somewhere there who is not a direct threat to his job, he could have even gone down picking a Neil Henry type but no.
A quick glance who is off contract for 2022

Des Hasler
Craig Bellamy
Wayne Bennett
Michael Maguire
Shane Flanagan
Paul Green
Geoff Toovey
Bernie McDermott

All of these coaches are higher profile coaches who would be able to entice players to the club and put structures in place
So you are looking at replacing a coach who has upset his underperforming players with a list of coaches known for upsetting their underperforming players.
Hasler will never leave manly
Bellamy won’t ever coach against the storm
Bennett if you want the cap worse than it is now
Macguire will sack Fifita straight away
Flanagan can duck off
Green nothing without JT
Toovey, why is he high profile? Because he was on fox sports?
McDermott struggled with an open cheque book at Wolfpack. Never tried in the nrl. Style wouldn’t translate.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am happy Morris went there.

Tell you what Andrew and Matt, prove him wrong, have great seasons, stay fit.

Latest posts