What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

The Great Dane

First Grade
Would the people of Brisbane prefer an actual RL team from the old Brisbane RL premiership days to the bombers?
Depends if it's their team or not...

In my experience everybody says they would prefer a 'traditional club', but what they really mean is they'd prefer this/these specific traditional club/s, and if it's not that/those one/s they won't support it.

Say the NRL was expanding to England and one club from the SL was being promoted into NRL with the intention that it will represent all, or at least a large portion of, the fans in England; How many fans of the other clubs do you honestly think would come out in force to support the England Rhinos?

That's the dynamic that is happening in Brisbane, and the way things are headed it's going to bite the NRL firmly on the arse.

The Great Dane

First Grade
What’s the actual history surrounding the bombers in Brisbane?

was there an airfield in Brisbane during WW2?
The history is actually in the badge and not the name.

The pilot in the the logo is meant to look like Charles Kingsford Smith, whom was a famous pilot from Brisbane. He flew in WW1, made the first transpacific flight from the US to Australia, etc. Basically he's a bit of a forgotten Australian hero.

Perth Red

Post Whore

In my experience everybody says they would prefer a 'traditional club', but what they really mean is they'd prefer this/these specific traditional club/s, and if it's not that/those one/s they won't support it.

Say the NRL was expanding to England and one club from the SL was being promoted into NRL with the intention that it will represent all, or at least a large portion of, the fans in England; How many fans of the other clubs do you honestly think would come out in force to support the England Rhinos?

That's the dynamic that is happening in Brisbane, and the way things are headed it's going to bite the NRL firmly on the arse.

but vlandys loves suburban clubs with 12k crowds!

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors

Quite a few if the England rhinos was the only professional RL team in the country like the NZ warriors.

So are you saying that the only way to go with Brisbane2 is by adopting a traditional Brisbane club/badge/colours as opposed to a newly created team with no heritage or links to a part of the city?

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
The history is actually in the badge and not the name.

The pilot in the the logo is meant to look like Charles Kingsford Smith, whom was a famous pilot from Brisbane. He flew in WW1, made the first transpacific flight from the US to Australia, etc. Basically he's a bit of a forgotten Australian hero.
Interesting story. What do you think the name should be and should it still be associated with planes?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Quite a few if the England rhinos was the only professional RL team in the country like the NZ warriors.
That’s not what I said though was it.

The Qld Cup still exists, and most of the old BRL clubs exist at least in some form, and that’s not going to change whether or not a team is promoted into the NRL.
So in our hypothetical the SL and other English clubs would still exist below the NRL and Rhinos.

Even if the England Rhinos were the only club I think it would surprise you how many would still refuse to support them.
So are you saying that the only way to go with Brisbane2 is by adopting a traditional Brisbane club/badge/colours as opposed to a newly created team with no heritage or links to a part of the city?
Nope, I’d support the opposite. A new, and more importantly neutral, brand is the best way to go.

That ‘heritage’ carries baggage, so no matter which old brand you go with you are going to alienate a bunch of would be fans whom dislike the club that is being promoted. If you go with a new brand that has no ‘heritage’ you alienate way less people, you get a bigger fan base from the jump, you get a stronger club.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Interesting story. What do you think the name should be and should it still be associated with planes?
I don’t really have a strong opinion on what the name or theme should be, but one thing I know for sure is that the brand needs to be unique and have some tangible association to Brisbane.

The Bombers brand it’s self isn’t a bad brand, but using the same name as one of the biggest sports clubs in the country is a moronic idea that is the main thing that turns people off the bid.

I honestly believe that if they changed their name that the Bombers bid would be the most popular NRL bid in Brisbane.

flippikat

Bench
The Bombers brand it’s self isn’t a bad brand, but using the same name as one of the biggest sports clubs in the country is a moronic idea that is the main thing that turns people off the bid.

Precisely.

"Brand collision" should be avoided.

Yes, there are examples where the NRL's heritage teams and AFL's heritage teams collide (Tigers, and previously Magpies), but that's mitigated now in that the Magpies brand doesn't exist in the NRL - and luckily the two Tigers have always had different colours, and now also have very different logos.

Just look at American major sports. The only 2 collisions in their major professional leagues are the Giants (NFL & MLB) and Kings (NHL & NBA).

Giants happening well before WW2, and Kings happening in the 1970s when the (then) NBA Cincinnati Royals moved to Kansas City & inexplicably took the same nickname as LA's Ice Hockey team.

My point is that expansion teams in NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL have constantly AVOIDED using an existing major sports team's nickname.

BIG mistake by the Brisbane Bombers treading on an AFL team's toes like this.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I don’t really have a strong opinion on what the name or theme should be, but one thing I know for sure is that the brand needs to be unique and have some tangible association to Brisbane.

I honestly believe that if they changed their name that the Bombers bid would be the most popular NRL bid in Brisbane.
I see. So a name like south Queensland crushers but playing out of suncorp?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I see. So a name like south Queensland crushers but playing out of suncorp?
South Queensland is so broad that it's almost meaningless, it's trying to be everything to everyone. So I wouldn't go with South Queensland, I'd go with a more geographically targeted, but still broad, region, something like e.g. South Brisbane Crushers.

But you get the general idea though, a neutral brand that can represent a lot of people.

Don't listen to The Great Dane or flikkikat. One is from Canberra and the other is a Kiwi who lives in Wellington and thinks Perth should have 2 teams, FFS. Neither of them have a clue how people from Brisbane think.

Titocolumbio and I are from Logan, which is south of Brisbane, but both of us have said we will support the Redcliffe Dolphins, who are north of Brisbane, if they're admitted into the NRL.

If the brand is neutral, like the bloody Crushers was, it will fail because it will be starting from scratch in a market that has a rich RL history with divided loyalties. Add 2 or 3 strategically important teams from the BRL and the game will be far stronger in Brisbane.

I'd go with Easts to cover eastern suburbs and Logan under the name Brisbane Firehawks and, Redcliffe to cover Moreton Bay Region and Sunshine Coast under the name Moreton Bay Dolphins.

Get rid of the Broncos and merge Wests with Norths to form the Brisbane Devils, red and black colours of Wests.
705D4D90-3B31-45C1-864E-2E16F1A3F4D1.jpeg 65CF0D87-C034-4EDF-81B8-8417FAA3DCBD.jpeg

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Don't listen to The Great Dane or flikkikat. One is from Canberra and the other is a Kiwi who lives in Wellington and thinks Perth should have 2 teams, FFS. Neither of them have a clue how people from Brisbane think.

Titocolumbio and I are from Logan, which is south of Brisbane, but both of us have said we will support the Redcliffe Dolphins, who are north of Brisbane, if they're admitted into the NRL.

but you seem to believe that the NRL will bring in more suburban Brisbane teams not too far down the track (it won't) that's why you are so pro-Redcliffe. This idea that there will be a Redcliffe, Logan and Ipswich team down the track is fantasy. Once the next Brisbane team comes in it will be a long time before a 3rd is even talked about. So should the second Brisbane team be a traditional club that may only appeal to fans in a localised area or one that can appeal to a much larger section of the population?

but you seem to believe that the NRL will bring in more suburban Brisbane teams not too far down the track (it won't) that's why you are so pro-Redcliffe. This idea that there will be a Redcliffe, Logan and Ipswich team down the track is fantasy. Once the next Brisbane team comes in it will be a long time before a 3rd is even talked about. So should the second Brisbane team be a traditional club that may only appeal to fans in a localised area or one that can appeal to a much larger section of the population?
Regardless of how long it takes before Brisbane 3 is introduced, Redcliffe should be the next team as it covers a large area that is currently unrepresented. Media analyst Colin Smith, who has worked with the NRL on broadcast deals, has said Brisbane 3 is a priority.

You think there should be teams in Adelaide and Perth. Colin Smith said avoid Adelaide and Perth. V'Landys said there will be no teams in Adelaide or Perth.

MugaB

Coach
I personally think it should be a an existing club, purely on because its already built and we (NRL) are promoting it to the big leagues, it will drive other clubs who want to be part of the NRL to build a junior base/stadium/following, and push to be a successful club/entity first then become a NRL grade team, no point NRL pointing at the bombers bid and saying go for it, when it has zero base to start from, i'd be happy for either Easts or Dolphins bid to be promoted as was most of the previous teams in the NSWRL, i know its not great for fandom who prefer the Northern Devils or Souths Magpies etc, but if they put in a bid and tick all the boxes the NRL wants they too can be the next cab off the rank... lets say in a few years time the gold coast is super successful ( tehe) but for an example sake... and NRL wants 2 clubs sharing that CBUS stadium... do you go with another titans type generic branding bid or would you promote a Burleigh Bears bid?, (if they pushed for it)
The bombers bid, just feels wrong just money men with a branding, i prefer a bid that has juniors already playing in their own catchment, so for example if the perth pirates bid was accepted id be happy with that as it already has been setup through the lower grades, but it probably needs more for that to happen... what does the bombers have set up, other than a logo, and an idea of sharing Suncorp stadium?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Where we are from doesn't matter when we are talking about basic human psychology, basic tribal tendencies, they are universal.
An anecdote of two people, meanwhile in the rest of the world every time something like this has been attempted the vast majority of people have rejected it and stuck with their team over joining the hated rival.

Because you've romanticised the BRL you both seem to think that most people are loyal to the league (in this case the BRL), when the vast majority are loyal to their teams over the league. Take the SL war, 95% of the time you could predict what side of the war a person was on based on which side their team was on, it'll be no different with fans of the Queensland Cup and old BRL sides.
If the brand is neutral, like the bloody Crushers was, it will fail because it will be starting from scratch in a market that has a rich RL history with divided loyalties. Add 2 or 3 strategically important teams from the BRL and the game will be far stronger in Brisbane.
The Crushers didn't fail because of their brand, to suggest they did is at best disingenuous... And the best way to carve out your own niche in an area with divided loyalties is to not play into them, i.e. create a new banner that you can unite disparate groups under, not pick a side.
I'd go with Easts to cover eastern suburbs and Logan under the name Brisbane Firehawks and, Redcliffe to cover Moreton Bay Region and Sunshine Coast under the name Moreton Bay Dolphins.

Get rid of the Broncos and merge Wests with Norths to form the Brisbane Devils, red and black colours of Wests.
4 clubs in South East Queensland is a fantasy.

All you'd achieve is oversaturating the market like Sydney, and like Sydney you'd end up with a bunch of tiny clubs that struggle to make ends meet instead of having a couple of huge clubs.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Regardless of how long it takes before Brisbane 3 is introduced, Redcliffe should be the next team as it covers a large area that is currently unrepresented. Media analyst Colin Smith, who has worked with the NRL on broadcast deals, has said Brisbane 3 is a priority.

You think there should be teams in Adelaide and Perth. Colin Smith said avoid Adelaide and Perth. V'Landys said there will be no teams in Adelaide or Perth.
Large area my arse.

It's a tiny insular peninsula, literally Brisbane's answer to Manly.