What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse candidate for SL

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they can be as successful as Les Cats then get them in! Either them or London for me (sorry Fev)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its got a lot going for it, 4th biggest city in France, nice area to visit, good travel linkages, large University scene that RL could tap into, nice stadium (though it is owned by the Union club). Just needs some decent money behind them. Biggest risk is that this is Union stronghold in France. The Union club is very successful and produces most of the French side. Can RL thrive in a Union city? We know all the things French Union has done to try and destroy RL so I doubt there will be many favours done!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would you say that Catalan has strengthened the French National team and French RL in general?

Hard to say given we don't know if they'd be even worse without them in! France Int side will always be hamstrung by lack of players with top grade exposure. If NZ had to rely just on players from the Warriors they wouldnt be anywhere near as competitive as they are. Sadly with language and lifestyle you don't get many French players signed to English SL clubs in same way you get Kiwis playing in Australia. So only way to get more French first graders is to get more French Sl sides.

Les Cats have been successful in regards their appeal and sustainability, and on field have had some good years. Its also a great excuse to visit the Sth of France if your a RL fan! Was in Perpignan for a game on Bastille day, absolutely cracking weekend.

RedVee

First Grade
I look forward to visiting Carcassone.

I saw Puig Aubert kick wearing his loafers and with a lit ciggy when he visited Sydney as an older gent. Be nice to see his statue.

(the town itself seems tres cool as well)

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/toulouse-chairman-wants-more-french-teams-in-championship/

Toulouse president Bernard Sarrazain wants to see more French clubs push for inclusion in the RFL system.

As his own club awaits their fate following their application to become the 12th club in Super League and follow countrymen Catalans Dragons, Sarrazain is clear on the direction he wants the French game to take as it currently awaits the election of a new president and leadership of its governing body.

He said: “We need an Elite Championship with a minimum of 12 clubs, which means the creation of additional teams, if possible in big cities.

“Then I think we must do everything that will allow Elite clubs which can, to join the English competitions, at the very least in the Championship.

“I’m waiting for something new. The FFR needs to grow.”

Toulouse have been back in the RFL structure for the past five seasons, winning promotion from League 1 in the 2016 season. They had previously spent three years in the Championship during the licensing era between 2009 and 2011.

That aside, there has been little other progress in relation to a pathway between the British game and the French.

The ill-fated Anglo-French cup was played in 2012 and scrapped after one season, despite the game between Featherstone and French champions Pia being televised live on Premier Sports.

Toulouse participated, playing Halifax, while Carcassonne faced Sheffield and Leigh took on Avignon, but the competition wasn’t well received by fans. Just 773 turned up to Leigh Sports Village to watch the Centurions beat Avignon 44-10, when their average crowd that year was just under 2000.

Featherstone were crowned “European Champions” with a comfortable 48-22 win at home to Pia, and though both Toulouse and Carcassonne enjoyed home advantage against Halifax and Sheffield, they went down 54-26 and 40-12 respectively.

French sides’ inclusion in the Challenge Cup has deteriorated over the past decade, with no one other than Toulouse and Catalans taking part since Carcassonne in 2013 – with Toulouse themselves refusing to enter in recent seasons due to cost, in spite of the Dragons’ historic triumph at Wembley in 2018.

The French Elite Championship currently comprises of 10 teams, including the respective reserve sides of Toulouse and Catalans (St Esteve) as well as the likes of Lezignan, Carcassonne and Limoux.

One potential “city” candidate for a slot in an expanded Elite 1 could be Lyon, who continue their plans to establish rugby league in France’s third biggest city, while Toulon also currently play against Lyon in the Elite 2 Championship.

Meanwhile, Sarrazain has thrown his weight behind the presidential campaign of Luc Lacoste, a former president of the Perpignan rugby union team.

There are three contenders, with the winner then taking charge of the French federation.

Sarrazain added: “We need something new. The FFR needs someone who can build relationships, with commercial knowledge and who knows and can surround himself with people capable of setting up large scale marketing operations.

“Above all, be capable of building a French team capable of beating England.”

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Any potential new French team entering the U.K. setup should come from a big city expansion area like Lyon, Montpelier, Bordeaux or Marseille etc.

leave the small towns and villages for the French domestic elite1 and elite2 competitions.

Taking The Two

Juniors
It all depends on what the bigger picture is, which is something Super League and Rugby League in the U.K. never thinks of. If we want multiple French teams in Super League, we have to work out how Super League looks in ten years, whether that’s a French conference, a closed shop to give these sides years to develop their own players or whether it’s just sink or swim.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
It all depends on what the bigger picture is, which is something Super League and Rugby League in the U.K. never thinks of. If we want multiple French teams in Super League, we have to work out how Super League looks in ten years, whether that’s a French conference, a closed shop to give these sides years to develop their own players or whether it’s just sink or swim.
A French conference is a must in the long run.

RedVee

First Grade
It would be great to have France as a 3rd professional league. But I’ve been hoping that for 40 years....

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
It would be great to have France as a 3rd professional league. But I’ve been hoping that for 40 years....
Never going to happen unfortunately. Just like with New Zealand the best approach is to allow as many teams as possible into the U.K. league structure.

langpark

First Grade
I am hoping Toulouse get into SL, but I believe it needs to be coupled with a local player quota. Just look at Catalans' team last week against Leeds! It contained only 4.5 Frenchmen in their 17. (the 0.5 is Jason Baitieri)

• 1 Sam Tomkins
  • 2 T. Davies
  • 3 Folau
  • 4 Samisoni Langi
  • 5 David Mead
  • 6 James Maloney
  • 7 Joshua Drinkwater
  • 8 Julien Bosquet
  • 9 Michael Mcllorum
  • 10 Remi Casty
  • 11 Joel Tomkins
  • 12 Matt Whitley
  • 13 Benjamin Garcia
    Subs
    • 14 Sam Moa
    • 15 Paul Seguier
    • 16 Jason Baitieri
    • 17 Sam Kasiano
Toulouse, from memory, last year in Championship had a 50% local squad for most matches, but that will surely be even less if they move up to SL. So for me, it is a bit pointless having these French teams in if they are just filling their rosters with Aussies and Kiwis.

jim_57

Staff member
I am hoping Toulouse get into SL, but I believe it needs to be coupled with a local player quota. Just look at Catalans' team last week against Leeds! It contained only 4.5 Frenchmen in their 17. (the 0.5 is Jason Baitieri)

• 1 Sam Tomkins
  • 2 T. Davies
  • 3 Folau
  • 4 Samisoni Langi
  • 5 David Mead
  • 6 James Maloney
  • 7 Joshua Drinkwater
  • 8 Julien Bosquet
  • 9 Michael Mcllorum
  • 10 Remi Casty
  • 11 Joel Tomkins
  • 12 Matt Whitley
  • 13 Benjamin Garcia
    Subs
    • 14 Sam Moa
    • 15 Paul Seguier
    • 16 Jason Baitieri
    • 17 Sam Kasiano
Toulouse, from memory, last year in Championship had a 50% local squad for most matches, but that will surely be even less if they move up to SL. So for me, it is a bit pointless having these French teams in if they are just filling their rosters with Aussies and Kiwis.

As long as Promotion/Relegation is a thing this will be the case for Catalan &/or Toulouse. Most English clubs too for that matter.

Something really needs to be looked at for the elite players aged 18-21. France do well at youth level but that hasn't translated to a stronger national team, very few if any seem to fulfil their potential. Maybe Toulouse, Catalans and some strong elite clubs could combine in some way to get their best kids playing strong English opposition regularly.

If Pacific Trieze get off the ground that could be a huge positive as well.

Perth Tiger

Bench

• 1 Sam Tomkins
  • 2 T. Davies
  • 3 Folau
  • 4 Samisoni Langi
  • 5 David Mead
  • 6 James Maloney
  • 7 Joshua Drinkwater
  • 8 Julien Bosquet
  • 9 Michael Mcllorum
  • 10 Remi Casty
  • 11 Joel Tomkins
  • 12 Matt Whitley
  • 13 Benjamin Garcia
    Subs
    • 14 Sam Moa
    • 15 Paul Seguier
    • 16 Jason Baitieri
    • 17 Sam Kasiano

If you go for player quotas it has to go with guaranteed licenses, you can't have the threat of relegation and then limit how they can compete.

Also if the French were required to have player quotas then the same should apply for the English teams, they should all be required to develop their own players through their academies/regions.

But in saying that I don't agree with quotas, it doesn't end up improving the player base and just ends up weakening the strongest aspect of RL which is the club brands. As long as the club and players are engaging in the community then long term the home grown players will come.