What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Easy on Webby right now merkin.
Who’s going hard on him??? I mentioned the article reminded me of a Classic Carl Webb pre season training up a Storm annual courier mail event.

You can pump the brakes on the offended train there Gronky :wink:

IFR33K

Coach
I can see why we’ve signed him, as our edge forwards didn’t offer much in attack this season. Just not sure he’s the right player for the role.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Just not sure he’s the right player for the role.

Of course he wouIdnt be the right player if we were looking for a starting forward, I doubt BA and co wouId even consider him.....

But he isn’t signed as a starting player but one of several players on cheap contracts fighting for 2 bench spots........along with providing depth...

If he simply plays NRL without being a liability, he has already provided value above his contract ......

even the top sides like roosters / storm have a solid group of players (like us) then take some risks to find value in filling the remainder of their squad ...

Noise

Coach
Of course he wouIdnt be the right player if we were looking for a starting forward, I doubt BA and co wouId even consider him.....

But he isn’t signed as a starting player but one of several players on cheap contracts fighting for 2 bench spots........along with providing depth...

If he simply plays NRL without being a liability, he has already provided value above his contract ......
Do you think Lane will be starting edge forward again?

IFR33K

Coach

even the top sides like roosters / storm have a solid group of players (like us) then take some risks to find value in filling the remainder of their squad ...

So he’s a good bench player but shit for the starting 13??

I just think he’s not the right type of player period

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Every year we'd hear up in QLD how big Carl was training the house and how it was his toughest pre season ever, he was going to make the critics eat their words. It was an annual event and this article reminded me of one of those.
He played a 187 NRL games and a dozen Origins. He scored 39 tries ffs. He was a good player.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So he’s a good bench player but shit for the starting 13??

I just think he’s not the right type of player period

No we are obviously looking to strengthen our bench (an issue this year). So like most clubs we don’t have huge cap space to spend on players 16th / 17th and above......so Cartwright along with several other cheapies (along with some already here / juniors) are fighting for those bench spots ....

He has potential and could be a good bench player. He could also be totally shit.....and a huge failure...

So it’s a gamble, a $130k gamble. But a low risk gamble....

But if he is shit, it won’t matter....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Do you think Lane will be starting edge forward again?

I reckon there is a good chance he will, but also it’s pretty clear BA is looking at edge options considering he has signed 3 players who play there.

obviously a lot depends on form (of the 3 edge signings), but I reckon Lane will start edge, then get moved in the middle sometime during the first half, similar to what we did with Edwards / Moeroa...(and Davey this year)..

Early prediction Isaiah P may get that role (offers a different body shape).

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Our bench, apart from Niukore and Oregan has been poor. Its a positive to have a player who can come on and provide some skill in attack. A point of difference to having 4 blokes charging off the d/h. Cartwright provides that in theory. Fingers crossed. Its something our team desperately lacks.
Lane should start on the edge. Im not a fan of him playing middle as I believe it reduces his effectiveness but thats what BA does and will always do. Matto will spend time in the middle this year as well no doubt.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think he’s referring to his stint here.
He’s last 3 or 4 years he was pretty average, and every year we’d hear a Carl is training the house down article. This seemed like a cut and paste and just add Bwyce’s name. I was hardly have a crack at the guy and not sure what the big deal was :shrug:♀️

jk13

First Grade
nekk article:
bryce has fully covered from niggling injuries and his hits on the tackling bag support this. His new diet consisting of hardened nails will only see him succeed in 2021

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
nekk article:
bryce has fully covered from niggling injuries and his hits on the tackling bag support this. His new diet consisting of hardened nails will only see him succeed in 2021
Just inject him with an mincer reduction vaccine.

Latest posts