What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugaB

Coach
I get tht its rough and dirty calculations, but not everyone gets 700k, most guys would be in the 400-600k range, so there's a little wiggle room, whats api on, for a spine player, he'd be on some coin, and aside from nate, only can see luai getting close to that 700k, the rest would be in that 400-600k, even Yeo, and kiks, now Crichton is the guy whos pushing for more, he wants that 600k.
I don't see a centre getting that, if he was a spine player then ok, but not at centre, ivan won't budge on overpaying a centre, when it'll throw the teams cap outta whack, and if he does expect critta to have that no.1 on his back, and Edwards in the centres

martielang

Bench
How this was taken by playing group was completely dependent on Mansours reaction. He has whinged and now potentially caused issues with other players re-signing because he has whinged about being told he will be in reserve grade next year. The club didnt do anything wrong by Josh. The young players see it as a loyalty issue cause very likely that is what Sauce is telling them. Showing loyalty doesnt extend as far as giving mansour a sure starting position for as long as he wants, thats a joke mate.

GTFO you think the playing group is only disappointed because of Mansours reaction?

No ones ever said he should be a walk up start but someone who has given so much for the club & been our best performer over the last decade, should be given had the opportunity to fight for his spot as opposed to being told (2 days after a GF loss) he starts in NSW Cup regardless. .

We want a build a strong club with a strong foundation & a strong culture. After our first season of serious success we cut the legs out from under it by culling a number of senior players who would have been a major part of the foundation.

Anyway this is going to go around in circles. Happy to leave it.

betcats

Referee
GTFO you think the playing group is only disappointed because of Mansours reaction?

No ones ever said he should be a walk up start but someone who has given so much for the club & been our best performer over the last decade, should be given had the opportunity to fight for his spot as opposed to being told (2 days after a GF loss) he starts in NSW Cup regardless. .

We want a build a strong club with a strong foundation & a strong culture. After our first season of serious success we cut the legs out from under it by culling a number of senior players who would have been a major part of the foundation.

Anyway this is going to go around in circles. Happy to leave it.

I genuinely think if he took it on the chin and didnt kick up a stink the rest of players would be fine.

Edit: They can't make him leave mate and its unlikely they would aggravate the situation to try and force him out given how it might affect the playing group after the way this news went down. If he wanted to stay and fight for his spot he would do it, he flat out said he doesnt want to play reserve grade.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
A (Rough and Dirty) Panthers Salary Cap 2021 - Based on 2019 salary cap rules since NRL will have to cut back.

$9.6m over 30 players.

$320,000 per player

Minimum wage 105,000.

Assuming everyone out of the top 17 is on minimum wage

13 x 105,000 = 1,365,000

This leaves 8,235,000 left.

N.Cleary is on 1m so that is 7,235,000 between 16 players.

This means an average of $514,687.50 per player that we can afford.

Obviously a handful of the players outside of the top 17 will be on a little more. Assuming that 5 of them are on an average of 155,000K that would leave 6,985,000 between 16 players of $436,652.50 per player.

This seems like quite a lot HOWEVER for every player you pay, lets say 700K you’d have to pay 2 players roughly 305K.

So the question is who are our 700K’s and who are our 305K’s? We can afford roughly 5 700K players with everyone else being 305K.

JFH
Crighton
Kikau
Yeo (probable)
Luai (probable)

Leota
Edwards
Nadan
To’o
Staines
Martin
Capewell
May
Yeo (current)
Luai (current)
Tetavano
Leniu
Korisau

You would imagine that Yeo and Luai who are currently in the 300K bracket would get bumped up to the 700K range.

Lets also not forget Mansour who might stick with us, or who we might even have to 'top up'.

We have Whare who is sticking around probably taking up 350K who is impossible to offload particularly with COVID meaning a Super League offload would be extremely difficult.

Naden would have to be on the chopping block unless he is happy being one of the 5 155K players (Which I suspect he already was).

I'd also expect May could be one of those players or at least sub 200K

Now the real spanner in the works is how much we are paying Parramatta for RCG and Waqa. I believe it is still somewhere around 400-500K and with the squeeze we currently have we can see how such management is near criminal. With Whare also on the sidelines that will be an effective 700K-900K hole.

Now lets add Burton to the mix. This is honestly a bigger mess than we realised despite offloading Tamou's 700-800K.

Based on the 'back of the envelope' calculations above we can expect;

To retain Crichton and/or Burton we MUST offload Mansour and Nadan.

If somehow we get Whare off our books we will be able to retain both Crichton and Burton and perhaps keep Nadan.

I think we are chipping in for Hetherington too.

Next year we could be paying 4 players to play at other clubs.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I genuinely think if he took it on the chin and didnt kick up a stink the rest of players would be fine.

Edit: They can't make him leave mate and its unlikely they would aggravate the situation to try and force him out given how it might affect the playing group after the way this news went down. If he wanted to stay and fight for his spot he would do it, he flat out said he doesnt want to play reserve grade.

I agree. I found Josh's comment about not wanting to play reserve grade as quite ego centric. Not saying I'm happy to fight and work hard for my spot......but I'm better than a reserve grade player.

In my opinion not at all team centric, but self centric.

As I think Crighton's behaviour is at this present moment, demanding more money.

The_Frog

First Grade
A (Rough and Dirty) Panthers Salary Cap 2021

Yeo currently on $300k but rising to $700k.
Whare currently on $350k.

Sorry don't buy it. I'm only guessing but Yeo would be closer to $450k and maybe rising a bit due to his good form this year. Whare would be in the $250k range. I don't care what the media says. They signed him for 5 years it would have to have been bargain basement.

mxlegend99

Referee

Sorry don't buy it. I'm only guessing but Yeo would be closer to $450k and maybe rising a bit due to his good form this year. Whare would be in the $250k range. I don't care what the media says. They signed him for 5 years it would have to have been bargain basement.
It makes sense that he would be on a small contract... But if he was why can't we find any takers?

Surely we aren't paying Hetherington to play at another club in 2020 when we've lost Tamou and havent signed Leniu yet.

Whare would have to be above the average salary of 310k.

MugaB

Coach
It makes sense that he would be on a small contract... But if he was why can't we find any takers?

Surely we aren't paying Hetherington to play at another club in 2020 when we've lost Tamou and havent signed Leniu yet.
Maybe we aren't floating him, the retention commitee are probably looking to keep him

Sime_11

Juniors
Maybe we aren't floating him, the retention commitee are probably looking to keep him

Makes sense - cheaper than Mansour and in a position where we don’t have as much depth... Crichton would be our first centre picked, we’ve tried multiple centres in 2020 with Nades, whare and may.

I think if we resign Nades, the club would encourage whare to move on like Sauce. But given Nades situation- makes sense to hold on

Because he was a seasoned veteran at the time of signing, a New Zealand international as well.

As others have pointed out, we’ve tried to shop him around. If it was a cheap contract he would’ve been an easier sell.

Unless he has an absolute monkey for a manager, you’re not signing a guy like that on the cheap. I don’t care how long the deal was.

Makes sense - cheaper than Mansour and in a position where we don’t have as much depth... Crichton would be our first centre picked, we’ve tried multiple centres in 2020 with Nades, whare and may.

I think if we resign Nades, the club would encourage whare to move on like Sauce. But given Nades situation- makes sense to hold on

I think @Blade23 has previously confirmed that we’ve tried to move Whare on already.

franklin2323

Immortal
His game was never about physical ability. Even taking his injuries into account his decline has been staggering

I guess that is the case with guys like that. Was my favourite for a few years there was never fast. Doesn't have the skill to move into the halves or the size for the backrow. The decline is really sad

BxTom

Bench
Because he was a seasoned veteran at the time of signing, a New Zealand international as well.

As others have pointed out, we’ve tried to shop him around. If it was a cheap contract he would’ve been an easier sell.

Unless he has an absolute monkey for a manager, you’re not signing a guy like that on the cheap. I don’t care how long the deal was.
His form is certainly no longer what it was, but I would think that injuries have blighted his chances of a contract more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts