What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abacus

Juniors
The discussion with Mansour should have been:
1. We've got no cap room for you for 2022. We don't want to insult you with a low-ball offer.
2. We understand if you want to look for a big deal at another club.

Why they mentioned the Round 1 2021 starting side makes no sense - unless Mansour wanted a guarantee he'd see out 2021 in first grade. Which the club could not promise.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The discussion with Mansour should have been:
1. We've got no cap room for you for 2022. We don't want to insult you with a low-ball offer.
2. We understand if you want to look for a big deal at another club.

Why they mentioned the Round 1 2021 starting side makes no sense - unless Mansour wanted a guarantee he'd see out 2021 in first grade. Which the club could not promise.

How do you know that wasn't the tone of the conversation ?

The_Frog

First Grade
Because he signed a long term deal when he was going well.Hardly played since.Has been shopped around but no takers
He'd played 6 games in 2017 when the announcement was made, the team was in a losing slump, he'd played 1 game in 2016 and 13 in 2015. Would have to look up the game threads for 2017 but I don't really recall his form being spectacular. He was probably solid back then but his re-signing for 4 years with a mutual option did attract a lot of criticism in this very thread. Maybe he can lead the reserve grade to a couple of premierships.

age.s

First Grade
How do you know that wasn't the tone of the conversation ?

I dont see him saying it went down any differently. Just a statement about how it should have been done.

But yeah, handling it poorly is the only thing that explains why a loyal, experienced clubman who's rolled with the punches all through his career spoke publicly about being treated poorly. Any other explanation bakes in an assumption that Sauce suddenly became an childish egotist, despite there being no evidence of him behaving like that in the past. That's the kind of thing those of us who weren't there shouldn't be doing.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I dont see him saying it went down any differently. Just a statement about how it should have been done.

But yeah, handling it poorly is the only thing that explains why a loyal, experienced clubman who's rolled with the punches all through his career spoke publicly about being treated poorly. Any other explanation bakes in an assumption that Sauce suddenly became an childish egotist, despite there being no evidence of him behaving like that in the past. That's the kind of thing those of us who weren't there shouldn't be doing.

Interesting thoughts.

To be honest I don't think he's been in this position in the past. So I have no base of reference to draw on.

I do know that although Josh has been loyal to the club, Josh has been well looked after by the club, through form slumps and injuries.

Josh himself said this when talking about the meeting .... ' but I don't think I'm a reserve grade player'

To me that speaks volumes about Josh's mindset. (8/11/2020)

The Realist

Juniors
Yeo currently on $300k but rising to $700k.
Whare currently on $350k.

Sorry don't buy it. I'm only guessing but Yeo would be closer to $450k and maybe rising a bit due to his good form this year. Whare would be in the $250k range. I don't care what the media says. They signed him for 5 years it would have to have been bargain basement.

The two catagories was a simplification. Obviously you can Plus or Minus 50-100K for players in those categories.

For instance - I would not be wanting to pay Laui, Crichton or Yeo over 600K. I don't think they are worth that much.

Then again someone like JFH could well be worth 800K when the time comes.

Likewise with the 300K category. Some of those players could be worth 350-400 and others 200-250. This was just an 'exercise' of simplification so the post would not drag on to be even larger than it already was.

Black Diamond

Juniors
And of course everything that is written in the media is true........

Funny how some on here are very vocal about how people becoming upset at the signing speculation of our young players coming off contract amuses them, stating media hype. Yet 1 article that quotes Joshs apparent comments must be true.

Could his comments have been slightly embellished?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And of course everything that is written in the media is true........

Funny how some on here are very vocal about how people becoming upset at the signing speculation of our young players coming off contract amuses them, stating media hype. Yet 1 article that quotes Joshs apparent comments must be true.

Could his comments have been slightly embellished?

Coments that are in " are generally understood as being quotes from a person.....

Speculation about what was said or not said, or the tone of someone's voice to me is getting into the comedy gold station of life.

It's straight out of Monty Python

age.s

First Grade
Josh himself said this when talking about the meeting .... ' but I don't think I'm a reserve grade player'

To me that speaks volumes about Josh's mindset. (8/11/2020)

I can understand that frustration. He had a very good year in the best team in the comp (yeah I said it). I doubt any of us would feel differently in his position, though you could argue he shouldn't have been so forthright.

I won't post more on the topic as it's gone on long enough, but we absolutely should not have told him he wasn't wanted. We lose nothing by telling him that there are two spots for all of him, To'o and Staines. My money would be on the kids being the best option, but give him the opportunity to train the house down. Work his butt off. Who knows? Staines could do a hammy in a trial match or training. To'o has had a few issues in his short career as well. Hell, maybe Sauce comes back and plays like its 2015 and he's still on his first ACL. He's hardly decrepit. If it doesn't work out he has the better part of a year to work out a plan for 2022 and we give both him and the rest of the squad the impression that we gave every opportunity to the old lion.

But we didn't do that. We obviously want him to break contract now so we can free up some funds for 2021 and wash our hands of any responsibility for it. Which is fine, it is a business after all, but let's not pretend that the timing was all for Sauce or that he has no right to be salty about it. I'd be pissed at my agreement with my employer being undermined like that, I think we all would.

Could he have expressed it better? Maybe. We all make imperfect decisions when we're angry.

betcats

Referee

Oh bullshit. Josh has never been told by us he will be in reserve grade. It’s ridiculous to suggest cause he had a sook then he must be justified and we must of been assholes, that’s crap. Look at his comments, he can’t even suggest a better way for it to be done himself “there has to be a better way” is a quote from that article, what’s the better way?

Just cause a bloke has a whinge doesn’t mean he’s been hard done by, Josh hasn’t been dumped before and he took it poorly, it’s a business. If we don’t tell him now and he finds out before round one there’s every chance he blows up at being dropped and we are dealing with and unhappy player and trying to move him on during the season

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The thing that annoyed me most is Josh bringing Staines into it. He could of have had his whinge about reserve grade and left the kid out. Instead he mentions him and there are headlines about Staines forcing Mansour out the next day. Staines is just a kid trying to make it he doesn’t need to be put in this.

Pull ya socks up Josh and grow up the very worst situation he will end up in is getting paid 400 or 500 grand a year to play reserve grade or he will get the same to play at another nrl club, that’s not so horrible.

The thing that annoyed me most is Josh bringing Staines into it. He could of have had his whinge about reserve grade and left the kid out. Instead he mentions him and there are headlines about Staines forcing Mansour out the next day. Staines is just a kid trying to make it he doesn’t need to be put in this.

Pull ya socks up Josh and grow up the very worst situation he will end up in is getting paid 400 or 500 grand a year to play reserve grade or he will get the same to play at another nrl club, that’s not so horrible.

Plus I would imagine that Josh would still have a chance to force his way into the first grade side, should injuries rear their ugly head.

betcats

Referee
Plus I would imagine that Josh would still have a chance to force his way into the first grade side, should injuries rear their ugly head.

We will back at training soon, other clubs already are. Josh will have to show up if he wants to keep getting paid, its going to be interesting. He has made a situation that is going to awkward for all involved.

Abacus

Juniors
Neither you nor I were part of the conversation during Josh Mansour, Cleary, Matt Cameron's breakfast meeting.

To assume that a conversation to which no one other than the above ones mentioned should have contained this or that.....is bordering on comedy gold.
Ah, Alice.

Any club staff worth their salt should have approached the meeting that way. If they did not & referred to Josh not being in the Top 17 for 2021, then they're incompetent.

If they stuck to the script and Josh was seeking a guarantee that he'd play NRL throughout 2021, which the club refused to give (i.e. he will need to fight for his position), then Josh is a sook and manipulating the story.

These are the 2 primary scenarios in what happened that day, which was the point of my first post. I'll leave the slapstick to you as you've (unintentionally) built quite the reputation for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.