What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach
I am getting tired of everyone constantly telling Michael how awesome she is. I'm amazed Saru has time to captain the ship with how doubled over he constantly is thanking her for letting him, the ranking officer, be captain.

What even was the point of adding Rachel Ancheril and David Ajala to the main cast this season? They've now both left the crew, seemingly permanently. It's just some odd choices.

There is so much to like about this show. Culber is sneakily becoming my favourite doctor in any series, I like Stamets a lot and the backround characters like Rhys and Detmer are really growing on me. But christ the writing - particularly the writing for Michael - is letting the show down.
David Ajala is back this week, but Rachel Ancheril, who the f**k knows what will happen there... They didn't kill her off so I guess it's possible we could see her again, but it did feel like with the sudden focus on her character it was most likely a goodbye episode like with Airiam.

Just f**king incredible that we jump 900 years into the Star Trek future only to find it's a dark age where people from the 23rd century apparently know more than their future counterparts, making Michael Burnham an extra super galaxy brained genius in this setting.

And by the end of season 3 you know that Burnham will have single handedly found the cause of "the burn" (I want to say that she probably caused it originally, but that would be a total repeat of season 2), reversed it and reformed the Federation.

Timbo

Staff member
It’s also like, the disaster of the week was a medical emergency... so you send a ship with doctors and equipment a thousand years out of date to solve it?

I don’t care how good Culber is, he’s basically from the dark ages as far as these people are concerned.

And the sheer level of entitlement of the Discovery crew. They find Starfleet and are shocked that they just won’t let them keep doing their thing or take their word for it who they are. How are these people in the military? You can’t just say ‘yeah, nah, we’re doing what we feel like because we’re family now’ to an Admiral who is giving you orders.

It was like the scene two weeks ago when they went to Earth and they’re all allowed to visit briefly, and everyone all decides to visit Starfleet Academy. What? None of them wanted to visit their childhood home, place they met their partner, somewhere that reminded them of their parents? Nope, everyone wanted to visit the same stupid tree at the military academy they went to.

Just give it a rest already.

Timbo

Staff member
Just as an aside, had anyone here ever heard of the show pitch for 'Star Trek: Federation' by Bryan Singer?

It was a project of his in 2005, but by the time he took it to the network they had decided to re-boot Star Trek with JJ Abrams.

To give you the cliffnotes from Memory Alpha:

Humanity has become complacent, and many worlds have left the Federation because of its Human-centric nature. Starfleet is stretched thin and many of its ships are outdated. A new enemy called the Scourge attack and destroy the USS Sojourner and two colony worlds. The only survivor is Lieutenant Commander Alexander Kirk. The authorities refuse to believe his story, a state of affairs that causes Vulcan, Bajor, and Betazed to leave in disgust at the corruption of the UFP, leaving it with only twenty systems under its control.

The Ferengi become the dominant power in the galaxy, and make money by spreading the Bajoran religion and making Bajor into a major place of pilgrimage. The Vulcans reunify with the Romulans. The Cardassian and Klingon societies have evolved into more mystical and less warlike cultures, though the Klingon Empire is expanding once more (but they are still on good terms with the Federation).

Admiral Nelscott commissions a new USS Enterprise to return the Federation to its goal of going boldly, but with the ulterior objective of finding the Scourge. After its captain and first officer are killed, Commander Kirk (third-in-command) is promoted to captain of a crew of four hundred.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

I'm not going crazy, right? That's just... Star Trek Discovery, season three.

It's almost like they realised season one wasn't really what people wanted, so they went diving through their files to find an idea that would work and then moulded Discovery into this idea.

bileduct

Coach
I guess there is a bit of a resemblance in that the Discovery are on a mission to find the cause of "the burn" (find the scourge) and reform the Federation.

The whole concept of a Federation in ruins and a galactic dark age seems like an easy way out for the writers, otherwise they'd need to explain 900 years of technological advancement. That seems beyond their capability, especially after that Earth/Titan episode which makes absolutely no sense and made it clear the writers don't even understand the technology of Star Trek in the 23rd century or prior to the development of the warp engine. I think the only advancements they've really shown are things like personal transporters, more powerful torpedoes and whatever nonsense got rattled off last episode about the new Federation ships, like holographic hulls or whatever the hell it was.

Anyway, like I keep saying, this show is written for people who don't actually watch Star Trek.

bileduct

Coach
Michael Burnham cries again.

I kept falling asleep while watching this episode. I don't believe I missed anything.

Also, surely Picard was well into the filming stage when the scripts were being finalised for Discovery, and yet we have the same plotline of show regular (Jurati/Georgiou) meeting up with mysterious weirdo (Commander Oh/Future David Cronenberg) and has scattershot frames of impending doom put into their heads. They're even stealing plot devices from their own show that is less than a year old.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
lol... I can't believe I didn't notice this before... The seed ship vault from episode 3x05, the one Burnham claimed had samples of "every plant in the galaxy..." Why didn't it blow up with the rest of the warp capable ships during "the burn?" Ensign idon'tknowhernamebecausemostoftheregularsonthisshowarejustblandbackgroundcharacters even revealed it did have a warp drive when she said scans detected it was offline. But no go boom?

This show is so f**king inconsistent.

I think what really happened is that at the end of season 2 they really went through a portal not into the future, but into a different show. This may well be SeaQuest: Discovery at this point.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but there's a low budget sci-fi parody film called Unbelievable!!!!! that features an absolute shitload of regular Star Trek actors from the pre-NuTrek era. It's probably easier to make a list of who isn't in it than list all the actors that are.

It's f**king terrible though. Completely juvenile, low brow comedy. There is the occasional laugh but on the whole it's mostly bad.

Timbo

Staff member
Another week, another Burnham whisper cry.

I cannot fathom how they keep writing these scenes.

Timbo

Staff member
What would you think of the writing on this show if Ensign Tilly suddenly got promoted to First Officer?

I am seriously very worried that’s the direction they’re considering going.

The demotion of Burnham makes the removal of Nhan from the cast even weirder, she was the obvious other one to take the role.

I’m hoping they move Rhys or Nilsson or one of the other background players up a step. That’d make sense in universe at least.

But Star Trek has always pulled stupid shit like that for main characters. There was an episode of Enterprise where Archer left Sato, who had regularly and consistently over four years shown she couldn’t make a decision without panicking, in command during a dangerous spot. This despite her being an ensign and there being numerous two and three pip background players about.

bileduct

Coach
I am seriously very worried that’s the direction they’re considering going.
Take a look at Tilly's uniform here...

ubs6h7k3o8061.png

bileduct

Coach
It’s the same as Detmers to my eyes?
Nope, it's gold.

I thought the gold uniforms might have been like the old red command uniforms, where you even saw Wesley in red when he was an ensign. But that doesn't appear to be the case on Discovery. Gold uniforms have only been worn by Captains, First Officers and Admirals.

Timbo

Staff member
Look, I've kind of braced myself for some ridiculousness with Tilly. She's clearly become a bit of an internet favourite and they're ramming her front and centre even more so than in previous seasons.

But her as first officer - she spends more time in engineering working with Stamets than she does on the bridge ffs.

Speaking of Stamets. He's one character I actually enjoy, but what is his role exactly? Is he the chief engineer or is that Reno? I would much prefer Stamets because words cannot explain how much I do not enjoy Tig Notaro, but it's deeply unclear.

And on uniforms - why are they still wearing uniforms from the 2200s? They got the new combadges, why wouldn't they be wearing contemporary uniforms as well?

bileduct

Coach
3x07.

Hahahahahahahaha, hoooooooooooly f**k.... I just don't know what to say about this show anymore, except... holy f**k.

Utterly ridiculous, and I'm not just talking about our new number one.

jargan83

Coach
I saw a trailer for this weeks episode but haven't seen the episode yet.

I predict that Discovery/Burnham are going to solve what caused the burn even though they're from a 900 years in the past.

Then again that was probably an easy prediction.

bileduct

Coach
I saw a trailer for this weeks episode but haven't seen the episode yet.

I predict that Discovery/Burnham are going to solve what caused the burn even though they're from a 900 years in the past.

Then again that was probably an easy prediction.
No spoilers except to say that it doesn't happen in this episode, but yeah, that's pretty much on the cards and seems to be what this entire season is all about.

I just find it ridiculous that these people from 900 years in the past are just suddenly going to show up and solve the mystery. The way Burnham is going about it with the black boxes just seems like elementary shit that surely the Federation would have done already.

What's funnier is that in this episode (and again, without any spoilers) when examining the black box data something very basic is explained about triangulation that a) makes the urgent mission for black box #3 not so urgent, and b) makes Michael Burnham looks really dumb despite the show constantly telling us how super smart she is. Then the moment Burnham realises she doesn't have enough data of course she then remembers some shit she saw in the Federation database that will give her the answers! Yay Michael Burnham! She so smart!