What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

age.s

First Grade
Shame about Burton, but as others have said it was always likely given the money and starting position on offer. Have no love the Dogs but I hope he does really well there.

franklin2323

Immortal
May can definitely be the back half imo but yeah we need another talented prospect or just an experienced journeymen or maybe both for our halves depth.

There were a few that likely would of pushed internally had we had lower grades last year. Get a swap or keep him really. Doesn't change the top 17 much either way

You don't think not having a coach for 2022 is more of a concern?

JAC
Hughes
Finucane
Lee

Possibly no Grant

all not signed beyond this year. 4 rep players there alone

I’m not saying their coaching situation isn’t a concern, I’m saying I was focusing on 2021 off season recruitment & retention for *players*

Also Harry Grant has 2 years to go.

MugaB

Coach
...indeed. Not sure we need that kind of quality at our club.
He is good friends with CHN, (they are tag buddys) they do everything together, even were stood down together...
Any friend of CHN is a friend of mine...
But yeah nah we have wingers Rennings, Staines, To'O, Naden, even Sauce

If he wanted to play in the halves there was nothing we could've done. Telling him "we'll move you to fullback" would not of helped with Edwards in front of him and Staines and possibly Cricton wanting that spot at some point. We could've played him off the bench or thrown a couple more games his way in the centres none of which would've helped us keep him if he is looking to play in the halves.

It might’ve helped us keep him if he’d enjoyed playing in the centres...

All I’m saying is the plan to try and keep him sucked. The floating of a possible move to the back row sucked.

Ultimately we may still have lost him, but we could’ve planned better.

age.s

First Grade
He will play for next to nothing.

16 games with 17 try assists. I wouldn't call that ineffective.

Marshall was outstanding with the ball, but he was equally bad without it. That might be ok in a team dominating field position/possession. He'd be as good an injury cover as we could hope for.

MugaB

Coach

All I’m saying is the plan to try and keep him sucked. The floating of a possible move to the back row sucked.

Ahhhh the classic "ball playing Lock"

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not saying their coaching situation isn’t a concern, I’m saying I was focusing on 2021 off season recruitment & retention for *players*

Also Harry Grant has 2 years to go.

He has said he is gone if Smith stays.

Jarome Hughes likely goes to NZ

The point is a few clubs are having issues locking down players

betcats

Referee

All the planning in the world wasnt going change the fact that he is half stuck behind two young halves. We were pushing for a premiership, I'd prefer they focused on that instead of trying to get Burton minutes and ive been one of his biggest fans.

MugaB

Coach
Marshall was outstanding with the ball, but he was equally bad without it. That might be ok in a team dominating field position/possession. He'd be as good an injury cover as we could hope for.
Not just injury, rep weekends, tiktok suspensions and more importantly having a solid experience and influence at training, he could be teaching our halves, more trick shots, Luai is 80% there anyways, but Nathan probably needs more in his bag, and im sure TMay would be a good 5/8th beside him during origin...
I betcha we win that round 3 game vs the knights if we had benji, instead of burton
Benji would have slotted the 2nd field goal attempt to burtons 6th

Last edited:
Cleary is obsessed with back rowers, has been for years. So I wasn’t surprised when I heard him float the idea of Burton moving to the back row so early in his career, but it was still idiotic. Burton is primarily a half, but he’s also a back. Centres or fullback are much more suitable right now.

All the planning in the world wasnt going change the fact that he is half stuck behind two young halves. We were pushing for a premiership, I'd prefer they focused on that instead of trying to get Burton minutes and ive been one of his biggest fans.

But haven’t you previously said that Burton should’ve played more this season?

Either way I still think the planning was poor. We could’ve given ourselves a better shot.

The Realist

Juniors
Thats crazy money they've been throwing around, sad thing is if he hurts himself or doesn't play upto their standards the pressure isnt good for a kid like him, last thing he needed was to be another luke brooks or milford

He won't be. Burton has a much better body for NRL than Brooks, and a far better attitude than the lazy Milford.If Burton fails to live up to the hype at 6, unlike Brooks he can play more than competently in a different position and is also more flexible than Milford who can only play 6 & 1.

Burton can play 1-7 and at a pinch can even fill in at 11-13. He'd always be useful on a bench as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.