What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hamblin

Juniors
He is okay. I'd consider him as a winger but don't rate him any higher than Naden. I'm not a fan of their back 5. Fairly impotent.

Will Hopoate would make our backline. An excellent ballplaying centre or fullback. Very good defensively and whilst not quick very quick between the ears

MugaB

Coach
He won't be. Burton has a much better body for NRL than Brooks, and a far better attitude than the lazy Milford.If Burton fails to live up to the hype at 6, unlike Brooks he can play more than competently in a different position and is also more flexible than Milford who can only play 6 & 1.

Burton can play 1-7 and at a pinch can even fill in at 11-13. He'd always be useful on a bench as well.
I remember 5 years ago, we all said similar words of Bryce Cartwright...
Now he might be an Eels reserve grader
.... nothing worse than being an eels reserve grader

No one ever said Cartwright had a good attitude, and fwiw I always thought he was a myth of a player. Looked like Tarzan, played like Jane. A 5/8 trapped in a second rowers body.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Cleary is obsessed with back rowers, has been for years. So I wasn’t surprised when I heard him float the idea of Burton moving to the back row so early in his career, but it was still idiotic. Burton is primarily a half, but he’s also a back. Centres or fullback are much more suitable right now.

Very sorry to see Burton go but not in our top 17. Hopefully this frees up some funds to retain our other players coming off contract.

The Realist

Juniors
Cleary is obsessed with back rowers, has been for years. So I wasn’t surprised when I heard him float the idea of Burton moving to the back row so early in his career, but it was still idiotic. Burton is primarily a half, but he’s also a back. Centres or fullback are much more suitable right now.

This. What outside back would WANT to play in the forwards? Hell no. If I was a winger, fullback or even a #6 there is no way that I'd want to play in the back row. Less pay, far more work - more chance of injury, and a flat out more boring position to play.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Ah, disappointing but to be expected. If he wants to play 6, really no alternative than to leave. Same situation with Grant and Smith re Cam Smith. They both said they would leave if he plays next year.

Probably in the minority here but would be OK if he left. Sure we don't have back-up if either starter gets injured, so a punt on Benji (if really dirt cheap) doesn't sound a bad idea. This could also work for the Flegg halves coming through and other juniors.

He couldn't wait around waiting for one of the starters to get injured.

As long as Spencer and Critter are extended, I will be OK with this. You can't keep them all. Alternative is we are the Broncos and no-one will take your players then. I know which situation I prefer our club in.

GongPanther

Referee
Bulldogs coup: Barrett signs Panthers gun Burton
Adam Pengilly
1-2 minutes
The Bulldogs have struck a huge recruitment blow after the Panthers confirmed rising star Matt Burton has signed a "significant" deal with Canterbury for the 2022 season.

Burton, who is stuck behind Penrith's grand final halves Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai, had agonised over the decision in recent weeks. He won't be granted an early release from Penrith.

"While we’re disappointed with this outcome, it’s important we respect Matt’s decision," said Panthers general manager Matt Cameron.

"He gave particular consideration to a contract extension at Panthers before opting to continue his career at another club. That said, Matt remains fully committed to Panthers for the upcoming season and we’re excited to see what the team will achieve in 2021."

Burton continues an impressive signing spree for incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett, who will have Kyle Flanagan, Nick Cotric and Jack Hetherington join the squad for the 2021 campaign.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...igns-panthers-gun-burton-20201125-p56hr4.html

The Realist

Juniors

Bryce was always a 2nd rower who could play #6, So lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say 6, 11,12,13 and bench. Still not as flexible as Burton.

The biggest difference appears to be attitude. Burton is a great trainer. Bryce was noted as being relatively lazy. Bryce may have still made it as a 'Star' player but he had a near career ending injury and some non-beneficial coaching.

betcats

Referee
But haven’t you previously said that Burton should’ve played more this season?

Either way I still think the planning was poor. We could’ve given ourselves a better shot.

Of course ive said that. I would've had him on the bench or starting at 6 but that doesnt mean it was mistake not to, we finished first comfortably in the end. We had May and Luai in those spots, two good very good players.

Bob

Juniors
I’m okay with Burton deciding to go to the dogs but only after he finishes his contract he signed, sick of all these players and their agents chasing funds and agitating for an early release,

MugaB

Coach
Probably in the minority here but would be OK if he left. Sure we don't have back-up if either starter gets injured, so a punt on Benji (if really dirt cheap) doesn't sound a bad idea. This could also work for the Flegg halves coming through and other juniors.

20201125_110423.jpg
I can see this

betcats

Referee
The report says he wont be getting a release so you never know what might happen. Another good year for the club and shit one at the dogs and I dont think we're above trying to get him to back out lol.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well good thing our grand plans for Burton are going to pan out. He might have stuck around if we actually gave him a decent run this year.

He's supposedly front runner for a centre spot next year. But now it's kind of pointless trying to develop him.

Was always going to be tough keeping a talented kid when other clubs had a spot up for grabs and more money than we did.

Was hoping we could convince him to spend a couple more seasons here at right centre at worst... and if injuries or form issues hit one of our halves maybe he took that opportunity with both hands.

MugaB

Coach
The report says he wont be getting a release so you never know what might happen. Another good year for the club and shit one at the dogs and I dont think we're above trying to get him to back out lol.
Unless he has a sit down dinner with trent barrett and steve price a few days after the GF.. and gets told lachlan lewis will be starting half in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts