What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project mika second row

Gareth67

First Grade
Hmmm. Not sure. Mika seems like one of those Fijians that just love running and throwing the ball around. Tackling people is fine, but it's not why he plays the game. Not convinced he is a good fit for the second row.

Agree Johnno , I doubt that he would be suited to the forward pack due to the very heavy workload that the pack gets through in 80 minutes .

As you have said he enjoys the freedom in the backs and he seemed to have turned the corner in his basic skills - handling especially . That plus he became a real beast in defense in the latter part of the season .

The Badger

Juniors
https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/st-george-illawarra-dragons/mikaele-ravalawa/

We have watched friz and creagh make successful transitions from the backs to the backrow

Should this be the pathway for Mika?

Or is he more valuable on the wing?
I like the second row idea.He is big ,strong and rough.Because of this he will draw defenders and he can pass.Halfbacks wouldnt like the idea of him coming at them in defence or attack.He only has to catch the ball and run off a pass.Not much high ball catching,not much thinking,less decision making than the wing.We actually dont have any second rowers.Tariq lost me 2 seasons ago and the others are either mediocre or too small.Would like to see him trialled there.

Juniors
Apologies if I missed it, but could anyone shed any light as to why he just vanished at the end of the season. He seemed to go from ‘we’re excited to extend his contract to bugger off’ :shrug:♂️

Dragsters

First Grade

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I can’t see him getting much of a run on the wing with the emergence of Ramsey, Feagai, Sloan etc. If he proves me wrong cool that’s great but at the end of the day we finally have a good amount of competition in the backs and a coach that won’t have favourites yet.

Belta

Juniors
They may need to if they don't sign any forwards soon.

I agree 100%. Just two seasons ago we had 4 inform SOO forwards. Fast forward to the present and we have the declining form of Simms and to a lesser degree Vaughan and coupled with the loss of Friz and inevitable loss of JDB and we really are flailing in forwards department and this will only end badly unless we bolster the forwards sooner than later.

George Sancti

Juniors
I agree 100%. Just two seasons ago we had 4 inform SOO forwards. Fast forward to the present and we have the declining form of Simms and to a lesser degree Vaughan and coupled with the loss of Friz and inevitable loss of JDB and we really are flailing in forwards department and this will only end badly unless we bolster the forwards sooner than later.

The comparison in forwards strength is incredible. I put the decline in strike power and aggression down to the power game strategy. Which I interpret as using once skillful forwards as battering rams.