What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Except we have a group of young guys that other teams will be targeting following 2020. Who gives a crap if teams outside the 8 have players off contract.
If the club comes out in the next few weeks & says we've retained 3 of Yeo, Luai, Leniu, Capewell & Crichton beyond 2021, I'll happily eat my words. Doesn't change the fact that a few of these guys could have been extended before 1 November - even if the contract includes a clause that the agreed salary represents x% of the salary cap, actual payments to be adjusted once cap value is confirmed.

Lets go who I think will be the top 4 next year:

Storm 11:

Josh Addo-Carr, Dale Finucane, Jahrome Hughes, Nicho Hynes, Ryley Jacks, Cooper Johns, Max King, Brenko Lee, Isaac Lumelume, Aaron Pene, Darryn Schonig

Us 10:

Kurt Capewell, Stephen Crichton, Robert Jennings, Mitchell Kenny, Spencer Leniu, Jarome Luai, Josh Mansour, Tyrone May, Brent Naden, Isaah Yeo

Souths 13:

Corey Allan, Braidon Burns, Joshua Cook, Troy Dargan, Dane Gagai, Brock Gardner, Dean Hawkins, Patrick Mago, Latrell Mitchell, Mark Nicholls, Adam Reynolds, Jaydn Su'a, Tevita Tatola

Roosters 15:

Fletcher Baker, Egan Butcher, Angus Crichton, Jake Friend, Drew Hutchison, Matt Ikuvalu, Isaac Liu, Brett Morris, Josh Morris, Billy Smith, James Tedesco, Daniel Tupou, Sitili Tupouniua, Sam Verrills, Sam Walker

So to me it seems the top sides were holding off until playing commitments ended

To'o and Martin were re-signed during the season.
Then the issue was whether it would be smaller number squads with the same dollar value which went back and forth.
Then we were in the premiership race so you hold off with talking to guys
Then the comp end 3 weeks later then normal.
From that 4 of our off contract guys went into SOO for another 3 4 weeks.

So we are around 7 weeks behind where we normally would be. Notice how it is just the desperate clubs WT and Bulldogs mainly with signing guys for 2022? The rest seem in a holding pattern until cap and other stuff is sorted

WestyLife

First Grade
Managers being what they are, expect Capewell to be looking for more money following the Origin series he had.

You'd expect so. I think the overall point is sound though. If we get too wrapped up in the hype around players and they start getting paid overs for certain positions it'll be to the club's detriment.

franklin2323

Immortal
On the basis that Laurie & Burton are gone, Crichton & Leniu are 50/50 (maybe 60/40) & then we've got 3 origin players to sign in Yeo, Luai & Capewell (I think we'll be unable to retain Capewell).
Obviously we've got the 2021 season to secure the players we want that are off contract after 2022, but there's a lot of work to do to sure up the 2022 squad.
It may just be the difference between how Gus operated but we seem to have gone a long way in the opposite direction.

Laurie was a development player with us. left because he got an option to press for a starting spot. Same too Burton wants to start in a position we are stacked.
SOO finished last week. Which time players will get a break after a season long virtual house arrest. All will be re-signed I have no doubt

Clearly the main concern is it’s taking so long to lock up Crichton & Leniu. Especially Crichton whose had an offer in for ages.

The earlier the club can make big signings, the better it is for their business. More memberships, more gear sold. There’s no way it would’ve been their plan for it to take this long, so there must be issues.

franklin2323

Immortal
Clearly the main concern is it’s taking so long to lock up Crichton & Leniu. Especially Crichton whose had an offer in for ages.

The earlier the club can make big signings, the better it is for their business. More memberships, more gear sold. There’s no way it would’ve been their plan for it to take this long, so there must be issues.

I doubt the expected to make the GF and have several guys make SOO mid year

MugaB

Coach
Luai 1st, Yeo 2nd, then whoever else in my opinion, don't get me wrong, but these 2 guys are very important to keep above all else, if we are serious about another finals in 2021, Crichton is a nice to have, but not the be all end all.
I'd like to know what @Blade knows about Naden (i know he is in therapy) but only from a retention commitee point of view

franklin2323

Immortal
We were running in first place *mid year*, of course the grand final and SOO selections were a high chance.

I swear you’d argue the sky wasn’t blue

I swear you would argue anything against the club

There was no salary cap in place...Still isn't
season finished later
Then SOO

How do you do these things so early with so many unknowns? You can't just lock players in rooms and expect them to sign

We know there we talks with Tamou, To'o and Martin signed so wasn't as though no talks happened but some are more straight forward than others

ACTPanthers

Bench
Being in 1st *mid year* means absolutely f**k all.

How often have we been ok mid year then fallen to shit? To say that because of our position mid season we should have anticipated a GF appearance and SOO selections is just wrong. Anything could have happened to derail the season, it just didn't.

MugaB

Coach

How often have we been ok mid year then fallen to shit? To say that because of our position mid season we should have anticipated a GF appearance and SOO selections is just wrong. Anything could have happened to derail the season, it just didn't.
Not even Barrett being the new dogs coach, and speculations of player poaching

franklin2323

Immortal

It all has a flow on affect. Say Luai shits the bed then makes Burton a higher priority so it was wise to hold off abit then things just go from there

betcats

Referee
Its been reported that Leniu was offered a two year extension before the GF. Crichton was definitely agreed to a deal. The criticism is way over the top. We cant give out long term deals to get them to extend like Gus did and got bagged for, we cant overpay to keep them cause that just f**ks everything. If they wont sign an extension early then we have to let them test the market and negotiate the best deal we can, we dont panic and start meeting whatever price the managers are askling.

If every one of us can see that getting them to extend early is a way to get them cheaper dont you think the players see that? If they dont their managers certainly do. Again, money and managers are influential. Some of these guys are still living in their parents house in a suburb most of would be worried about being in after dark and they've got managers dangling an extra 50-150k in front of them saying we can get that elsewhere or use it to get more from Penrith, what do think happens?

WestyLife

First Grade
Its been reported that Leniu was offered a two year extension before the GF. Crichton was definitely agreed to a deal. The criticism is way over the top. We cant give out long term deals to get them to extend like Gus did and got bagged for, we cant overpay to keep them cause that just f**ks everything. If they wont sign an extension early then we have to let them test the market and negotiate the best deal we can, we dont panic and start meeting whatever price the managers are askling.

If every one of us can see that getting them to extend early is a way to get them cheaper dont you think the players see that? If they dont their managers certainly do. Again, money and managers are influential. Some of these guys are still living in their parents house in a suburb most of would be worried about being in after dark and they've got managers dangling an extra 50-150k in front of them saying we can get that elsewhere or use it to get more from Penrith, what do think happens?

Some pretty important details here. We know the club spoke to multiple players mid year. It definitely looks like they've been keen to test their value regardless what the club did.

betcats

Referee
Naden is back trading and saying he is looking forward to next year .So not sure his contract status but he is keen to play

He is contracted for next year so there is no reason for him not to be back besides dealing with whatever his issues were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts