What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Just on the whole concept of compensation for clubs that have developed juniors, here’s an idea I like

If someone signs another clubs junior, before the age of 23 let’s say. The club signing has to pay a 25% fee of the salary to the original club, plus that fee goes against the new clubs salary cap.

Alternatively the fee could be waived if a player trade could be agreed upon.

This does two things. Firstly the original club gets some monetary compensation for the time and effort it took to develop the player, but the 25% also acts as a disincentive against offering silly amounts of money for other clubs juniors. If it was just 25% but it didn’t count towards the cap, this wouldn’t be enough of a disincentive.

So let’s say Burton signed with the Dogs for 600k. We get 150k per year, and Burton counts for 750k against the Dogs cap.

Of course this could run into legal trouble as a restraint of trade, but you can’t really know that until someone tests it in court.
I actually have a similar Idea
Except change the structure of the salary cap for example cap salarys eg
10 players on $500k
10 players on $350k
10 players on 100k
Each club chooses where to spend that money on each player by example of Talent, experience etc. Also it brings more loyalty to the club and a front rower and the spine can earn the same amount. Why should a front rower be less than a halfback?

if another club came round and signed a player from another club they must pay the other club 15%

The Realist

Juniors
Huge call but id look at keeping Capewell over Kikau just from a cost point of view

No way. Kikau is a far more dangerous player. He was just used and managed poorly at the pointy end of the season. IC has tried to make him a 70-80 minute player but at the end of the season it took it's toll despite a few enforced 'rests'.

Capewell looked good in SOO playing at centre and marking up against a club fullback. He isn't going to have anywhere near that impact on the edge.

The Realist

Juniors
I disagree. If Gould was still boss, probably get done for salary cap miss management. Look at the players we lost mid term when he was here.....Merrin springs to mind. Jennings, Lewis huge payouts.

Gould's results re bottom line of cap management no better nor worse than Matt Cameron.

Gus made some very questionable signings, overall I was not a fan at all, but he was GREAT at offloading troublesome players without it costing us - like Moylan, Cartwright, Merrin.

He would have never allowed the situation of us paying other clubs to play for them such as is/was the case of Waqa Blake, RCG, DWZ. Almost unforgivable to have a decent chunk of our cap wasted on this.

The_Frog

First Grade
We were running in first place *mid year*, of course the grand final and SOO selections were a high chance.

I swear you’d argue the sky wasn’t blue
Depends what is meant by mid-year. If it's mid calendar year we were 2nd after 7 rounds. If it were mid-season we were 1st after 10 rounds. We could have signed blokes back then, but maybe they were thinking the good times won't last and they'd get them for less, given the age of the players concerned and the pattern of previous years, when in fact the opposite happened.

martielang

Bench
I still think Kikau is an 80min backrower. He had a stinker in the GF (starting from the first 5 mins) but he was still trampling guys up to the end of the game as well. We lose a lot when he's off IMO.

Granted he may not deliver value for money all the time, I think we need to do everything to keep him. As much for our/his reputation as anything.

betcats

Referee
Yep and early to mid season he seemed to handle it - but runs out of puff at the end every time.

I am not arguing that, I am just saying he has been playing 80 at times for a while now. I understand the argument for playing him less but I dont think that was his issue in the gf. He didnt look tired or burned out to me in the GF, he looked like he was trying to hard to make up for his suspension and he had a shocker with his handling imo.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus made some very questionable signings, overall I was not a fan at all, but he was GREAT at offloading troublesome players without it costing us - like Moylan, Cartwright, Merrin.

He would have never allowed the situation of us paying other clubs to play for them such as is/was the case of Waqa Blake, RCG, DWZ. Almost unforgivable to have a decent chunk of our cap wasted on this.
Yep. Gus had no trouble getting players to commit long term well before they hit the market. He had no problems getting rid of players with minimal/no financial disadvantage to us.

He wasn't perfect. But he did business how we should have been doing it. Perhaps just 3 year extensions rather than 5. Bit of balance on contract length but locking guys up before the vultures come circling.

Only thing that he'd be doing that we are hopefully going to do better is hold on to guys. He would let Burton, Laurie etc. Leave immediately so as not to hold them back.

Between letting quality depth go for a better run elsewhere and giving away 5 year contracts rather than 3 they're the two biggest issues he had IMO.

But 5 year contracts never hurt him as he could negotiate them being taken over when they become a problem for us.

betcats

Referee
I still think Kikau is an 80min backrower. He had a stinker in the GF (starting from the first 5 mins) but he was still trampling guys up to the end of the game as well. We lose a lot when he's off IMO.

Granted he may not deliver value for money all the time, I think we need to do everything to keep him. As much for our/his reputation as anything.

Agree with most of this, he can play 80 but I am not sold its how to get the best out of him. I think two stints with less overall minutes is the way to go with him. Id also still like to see him tried out a bit in the middle at times, even if it is just drifting in there for the occasional hitup. I know some argue he get used as a battering ram to often but I think that is where his true value might be. Imagine him running at a retreating defensive line in the middle after Fish bends them back and Yeo makes a half break, here comes Kiks with the ability to monster anyone, step left or right, fend left or right and offload left or right. His presence in the middle will drag defenders in the same way it does on the edge, he can still be used as decoy perhaps even more he'd just be running off Fish and Yeo insteadof Luai. But thats probably just a pipe dream.

betcats

Referee
If I were Panthers I'd be telling the dogs if they take Whare off our cap they can have Burton for 2021.

What we do here could affect their ability throw money at Spencer. I think with any negotiations around Matt the goal should be to f**k over their cap as much as possible for 2022. So giving them Whare is a great idea. Taking players off their hands would be a mistake unless it is after we've signed Spencer. I also wouldnt say it directly but I would imply strongly that backing the f**k off spencer might just get Burto let out a bit early if they throw in a half, then id even consider telling them to f**k off after we signed spence lol.

Depends what is meant by mid-year. If it's mid calendar year we were 2nd after 7 rounds. If it were mid-season we were 1st after 10 rounds. We could have signed blokes back then, but maybe they were thinking the good times won't last and they'd get them for less, given the age of the players concerned and the pattern of previous years, when in fact the opposite happened.

Well, it’s only 3 weeks and 1 place difference, the point is largely the same.

I’m not sure God himself could’ve got us out of paying a large chunk of RCG’s contract, the guy was playing like an absolute girl.

murraymob

First Grade
What we do here could affect their ability throw money at Spencer. I think with any negotiations around Matt the goal should be to f**k over their cap as much as possible for 2022. So giving them Whare is a great idea. Taking players off their hands would be a mistake unless it is after we've signed Spencer. I also wouldnt say it directly but I would imply strongly that backing the f**k off spencer might just get Burto let out a bit early if they throw in a half, then id even consider telling them to f**k off after we signed spence lol.
Today’s papers seem to be suggesting they will need to choose between josh ado Carr and Crichton.I feel the dogs may lean towards ado Carr as he will sign creighton may drag it out to long

betcats

Referee
Today’s papers seem to be suggesting they will need to choose between josh ado Carr and Crichton.I feel the dogs may lean towards ado Carr as he will sign creighton may drag it out to long

They dont seem confident about Crichton, they have already had Addo carr through the place for a tour.

Yep. Gus had no trouble getting players to commit long term well before they hit the market. He had no problems getting rid of players with minimal/no financial disadvantage to us.

He wasn't perfect. But he did business how we should have been doing it. Perhaps just 3 year extensions rather than 5. Bit of balance on contract length but locking guys up before the vultures come circling.

Only thing that he'd be doing that we are hopefully going to do better is hold on to guys. He would let Burton, Laurie etc. Leave immediately so as not to hold them back.

Between letting quality depth go for a better run elsewhere and giving away 5 year contracts rather than 3 they're the two biggest issues he had IMO.

But 5 year contracts never hurt him as he could negotiate them being taken over when they become a problem for us.

Even if we say Gus was a better negotiator and wouldn’t have paid as much for RCG & Blake to play elsewhere, Gus wasn’t going to be with us forever. So his plan had an inherent flaw.

He should’ve considered the fact that once he moved on, the club would have a difficult time dealing with the 5 year deals.

franklin2323

Immortal

I don't know what cap they are working too but nothing is settled. They originally got in trouble for over estimating what the cap would be...It will be funny if the same thing happens again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts