What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2020

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Thank God it's over. I was never into this series, in fact, haven't been for a while now. Some may love it and that's yours/their prerogative, but for me, it's just another game.

Happy our Dragons players came through unscathed, however, it did highlight the Hunt issue of where to play him, is he a 6, 7, 9 or 14? This is Hook's greatest fix IMO.

possm

Coach
Thank God it's over. I was never into this series, in fact, haven't been for a while now. Some may love it and that's yours/their prerogative, but for me, it's just another game.

Happy our Dragons players came through unscathed, however, it did highlight the Hunt issue of where to play him, is he a 6, 7, 9 or 14? This is Hook's greatest fix IMO.
As far as I'm concerned, Hunt and Norman shoud be gone.

kit66

Bench
Qld deserved their victory as they were much better than NSW. Gotta give credit to the old fella Bennett. He would have loved that win last night. "Worst team in QLD", thanks Gallen, that is all they needed more motivation. Bennett would have loved hearing that from a NSW captain who never won a series. It's no coincidence NSW won their first series in a while once that joker retired.

NSW squad was good, just mentally screwed. Looks like they thought they can just turn up and they would win. Would not surprise me if they even had a week of celebrations ahead of the game thinking the series was wrapt up after 1 flogging.

Lets see if Fittler sticks with this team. If so then he is to blame as he probably had the mindset they won the series as well. If he drops a few then the players probably had that mindset and not him hence why he has dropped them.

If Klemmer was a Qlder he would never be dropped as he is made for Origin and has a heap of mongrel in him which is what you need for these games. But NSW being what they are, they drop players and pick flavours of the month. Same with Vaughn. As for Wighton, he should have been 5/8 as he too is made for Origin and should play his best possible position.

Klemmer and RCG wouldn't have capitulated as easy as Haas and Co although Saifiti wasn't too bad, better last week and was one of our best in game 1.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Klemmer and RCG wouldn't have capitulated as easy as Haas and Co although Saifiti wasn't too bad, better last week and was one of our best in game 1.
Thought NSW’s front row wasn’t too bad - it was the back row which seemed to be the issue

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

This origin series showed us one thing that we already knew. Hunt is def not worth the money he is getting paid. If he’s on 1 million, Munster should be on 5 million.

since77

Juniors
This series exposed one of my personal peeves in State of Origin. Just pick the best players in each position. Get rid of this crap of supposedly picking “Origin players” F@ck I hate that stupid attitude. It’s supposed to be a representative game - a reward for being best player in your position. The 2 centres for NSW should never have been picked as centre’s. Keary dropped after one game when he’s been the clear standout 5/8 over the last 3 seasons. Dumb selections based on the concept of “Origin mentality”. A NSW team picked on merit would have won all 3 games by 20 plus points.

Old Timer

Coach
This series exposed one of my personal peeves in State of Origin. Just pick the best players in each position. Get rid of this crap of supposedly picking “Origin players” F@ck I hate that stupid attitude. It’s supposed to be a representative game - a reward for being best player in your position. The 2 centres for NSW should never have been picked as centre’s. Keary dropped after one game when he’s been the clear standout 5/8 over the last 3 seasons. Dumb selections based on the concept of “Origin mentality”. A NSW team picked on merit would have won all 3 games by 20 plus points.
In SOO and test matches we need selectors (plural) and a coach with support staff rather than a coach that is the sole selector.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Never been that successful in finding out what people mean when they say ‘ Old School’ Coaching .. appears to be that many use it as a short cut to refer to someone’s age rather that a particular method or style. Think it means aligning with traditional values and philosophies.. .defence, support play, backing up the man, enthusiasm, style under pressure, focus, never say die, right man right position discipline, attention to detail...if so does that mean Bennett values these more and Fittler doesn’t?

Or maybe Bennett’s experience and knowledge just resulted in him totally out thinking and out strategising NSW in Game 1 and 111?

Well, I can't imagine Bennett (or Hook for that matter) getting their players to "earth" themselves with bare feet or on grass or undertake yoga- I suppose that is what I was referring to as not being old school. It was also the gratuitous disrespect in Fittler's comment about our coaches that I reacted to. All the while remembering that his coaching record at the Roosters was far from flash and he was lucky to land the Origin job.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Pretty shattered by the result but to be fair with the amount that went against us from the get go with the full house to the Teddy injury, no ball, some average calls and a late injury to Walker when he was just starting to probe, we never deserved to be in it until the last second. They showed great fight imo and should have got done by 30.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Well, I can't imagine Bennett (or Hook for that matter) getting their players to "earth" themselves with bare feet or on grass or undertake yoga- I suppose that is what I was referring to as not being old school. It was also the gratuitous disrespect in Fittler's comment about our coaches that I reacted to. All the while remembering that his coaching record at the Roosters was far from flash and he was lucky to land the Origin job.
Agree!

kit66

Bench
Thought NSW’s front row wasn’t too bad - it was the back row which seemed to be the issue

The back row was too busy tackling because our halves completely failed to control the game. Took bad options and their kicking was pointless apart from a 40/20. No kicks for the speedy fox. Most of Cleary's bombs were caught cleanly with no pressure from chasers because they were too deep or not high enough to give our chasers time to get there. It didn't help that Nathan Brown only got 12 minutes to help out his tired mates. The game looked like something out of the Mary play book.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The back row was too busy tackling because our halves completely failed to control the game. Took bad options and their kicking was pointless apart from a 40/20. No kicks for the speedy fox. Most of Cleary's bombs were caught cleanly with no pressure from chasers because they were too deep or not high enough to give our chasers time to get there. It didn't help that Nathan Brown only got 12 minutes to help out his tired mates. The game looked like something out of the Mary play book.

Weelll- the quick brown fox almost jumped over three lazy Queensland players to score a try!

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb--201104_sd_01_2020114222659.jpg

NRL NEWS

V'landys: Origin back to mid-year locked in
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 25 Nov 2020, 03:06 PM
kennedychris-head.png

Share on social media
A bonanza of country rugby league and a return to mid-year Origin will be key elements of the 2021 Telstra Premiership draw while the Warriors are set to play out of Auckland, according to ARL chairman Peter V'landys.

Alongside NSW deputy premier John Barilaro, the Commission chairman also expressed his confidence in the state government honouring an $800m commitment to upgrade four suburban venues.

With the full draw to be released on Thursday, V'landys on Wednesday said the post-season Origin format had not worked out, while confirming six NSW country towns would host full NRL fixtures next year.

The Sharks will take a game to Coffs Harbour, Manly to Mudgee, Penrith to Bathurst, Souths to Dubbo, the Raiders to Wagga and Wests Tigers to Tamworth.

The rounds and opposition clubs for those fixtures will be revealed in the full draw release on Thursday. Those six games will increase to nine country games in 2022.

Venues and dates are also yet to be confirmed for the 2021 State of Origin series, but a return to mid-season is locked in.

vlandyspetergt.jpeg

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys at Rugby League Central. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"We've trialled it at the end of the season, it hasn't been as successful as we would have thought but it served the purposes for this year," V'landys said.

A mid-season Origin this year would have been played to no crowds and with a reduced NRL draw, it would have unfairly penalised teams with high Origin representation, he said.

"Our ratings weren't as good as they normally are in its normal time period," he added.

"A proper test would have been to run it in October but that also affects our international calendar and we don't want to affect that so after consultation with the broadcasters it was best to put it back to its original position."

V'landys also confirmed the Warriors home games have been scheduled in Auckland in anticipation of a trans-Tasman bubble being in operation by the start of next season, although contingency plans are in place.

"We're very confident international borders will be open by that stage," he said.

"The [COVID-19] vaccine is imminent, or we hope it is, and we've got zero community infection. Every decision we've taken at the NRL we've done on the scientific data and medical advice.

"[Our biosecurity expert] tells us we will be playing games in New Zealand in the first round, we have to take that advice. It's been zero infections for 30 days in NSW and 28 days in Victoria. If it stays like that we don't have a problem.

"If it doesn't happen, we have contingencies in place for all scenarios."

On the stadium funding, V'Landys was hoping for progress at a meeting at 4pm on Wednesday between the NRL and the state government.

"There's a meeting this afternoon with Gladys [Berejiklian] and the treasurer and we're hoping to move forward significantly with the agreement," he said.

"Suburban stadiums is the major part of our strategy, it promotes tribalism, it allows people to stay in the local community and it's not just for rugby league it's for all the community, it's for other sports like netball and hockey that aspire to play or compete on a suburban ground.

remote.axd

Tackle of the 2020 State of Origin series

Tackle of the 2020 State of Origin series

"I'm very confident the NSW government is going to back our plan, the premier has already indicated that. It's a matter of timing more than anything else, we want it done yesterday, she wants to do it in a couple of years.

"The $800m has not been spent on ANZ Stadium, that was supposed to start at the beginning of the year. We asked for that money to be transferred to these suburban stadiums."

V'landys confirmed the NRL would consider moving the grand final to Brisbane if the deal fell through but stressed that was purely hypothetical at this stage.

remote.axd

Try of the 2020 State of Origin series

Try of the 2020 State of Origin series

"We have to do what's best for the NRL and our game and if that means taking a grand final to Brisbane we will do it," he said.

"Brisbane is a massive market for us, it's our second biggest heartland of rugby league after NSW so it's only fair we do consider taking it to Brisbane.

"We're confident the government and premier will honour their agreement. We had an agreement for an $800m upgrade of ANZ Stadium – all we've done it transfer that to four suburban stadiums to allow the community to have their own local asset for a multitude of purposes."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/25/vlandys-origin-back-to-mid-year-locked-in/

possm

Coach
Fittler got too cocky and it costed him and NSW dearly. Love to see Lomax at right centre for SOO 2021. Hope he has a great season under Griffin.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Fittler got too cocky and it costed him and NSW dearly. Love to see Lomax at right centre for SOO 2021. Hope he has a great season under Griffin.

Old school Wayne outcoached the new age funky Freddy in game 3 when it mattered. Freddy had the better list but made errors with selections in his starting 13 and bench players. Queensland played like men possessed and out enthused NSW - courtesy of Wayne's "old school" man management skills.

As I posted earlier, Fittlers club coaching record with the Roosters was poor- he was lucky to get the NSW gig. He was also lucky to get the gig after the retirement of so many Qld greats.

The next series should be very interesting- irrespective of whenever it's played.

Latest posts