What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloiai gone?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Cough.... Tim Moltzen..... cough

Although that one back fired on us!

Tim Moltzen backflip is basically how it all started - we had to get rid of some players to accommodate his new contract, which the Sheenius thought to move on our two best front rowers and deplete our forward pack.

If Molzten never backflipped, we didn't sign Adam Blair, Tedesco and Dwyer didn't get injured I reckon we could have won the comp in 2012

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Whatever we do we need to stand firm. The article that was posted quotes the Chairman as saying he stays unless we get an advantageous deal, I can't see it being cash so it could only be a player that would be better for us and it logically needs to be a player from Manly. So we need to stand firm like The Storm do and see what we can get. If no-one can be traded, then like them (with JAC) we force Aloiai to stay. Anyone here on the Manly off contract or coming off contract list that would be a good fit and / or beneficial to us? Although I doubt they'd go for it but what about Schuster?

OFF CONTRACT 2022
Cade Cust (2022), Manase Fainu (2022), Sean Keppie (2023), Taniela Paseka (2024), Moses Suli (2022), Martin Taupau (2022), Jake Trbojevic (2026), Tom Trbojevic (2026)
OFF CONTRACT 2021
Morgan Boyle, Lachlan Croker, Kieran Foran, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Jack Gosiewski, Brayden Musgrove, Brad Parker, Toafofoa Sipley, Curtis Sironen, Jorge Taufua, Keith Titmuss, Dylan Walker

You are right inas far as we should follow the lead of more professional clubs like the Storm. We don't have that luxury thought because we are a battling club.

Thanks for the list of Manly off contract players.There are no players in that Manly list who can improve our side in my view. Schuster is the one we should have pressed for but Tyran Smith (Aloiai's manager) can't help us get to Schuster because Schuster is not his client. This raises an interesting point

I'm not sure if this link will get through the Spam filter https:// www. sportsplayer. com .au /players but this shows that Tyran Smith manages only a small handful of players. We should not hesitate to a) call him out publicly for shit negotiation tactics and/or b) risk burning our bridges with him. I say that because he doesn't manage many other players.

Lee Hagipantelis was on Vossy SEN this morning and he indicated that the negotiation with Aloiai was reaching a pointy end. After all of Lee's public comments in the past few weeks, particuarly the talk of Josh mowing lawns, he and WT could be makde to look very stupid if we get a shit deal out of Josh leaving.

My personal view is that Josh is not worth more than whatever he is on now. He does take it forward strongly but he does seem to lurch into the defence at quite a low height and this stops him making good metres. He is also quite injury prone.

Looking forward to seeing what the next few days dish up.

Tiger05

First Grade
Lee Hagipantelis was on Vossy SEN this morning and he indicated that the negotiation with Aloiai was reaching a pointy end. After all of Lee's public comments in the past few weeks, particuarly the talk of Josh mowing lawns, he and WT could be makde to look very stupid if we get a shit deal out of Josh leaving.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I disagree that they will look stupid though. Aloiai looks stupid atm. If we let him go because he is a knob so be it. I hope we don't though.

WT Unity

Juniors
You are right inas far as we should follow the lead of more professional clubs like the Storm. We don't have that luxury thought because we are a battling club.

I'm not sure if this link will get through the Spam filter https:// www. sportsplayer. com .au /players but this shows that Tyran Smith manages only a small handful of players. We should not hesitate to a) call him out publicly for shit negotiation tactics and/or b) risk burning our bridges with him. I say that because he doesn't manage many other players.

Looking forward to seeing what the next few days dish up.

Yeah - Just checked out the website and the Tyran Smith stable isn't full of stars is it?
In horse racing terms it's not a stable I'd be following into the Spring Carnival Group Races...

BrotherJim05

Bench
It will be interesting to see what happens with Aloai in terms of whether he simply won't turn up to training. He will cop a fine, then he will get sacked - but what then? Surely there has to be a ban on him playing for X amount of time if you are sacked for not turning up to training?

Tbh, the NRL are the ones who look the worst from all this mess. It's like a bunch of screaming children acting like little shits and the parents just standing there going "hmmmm, I wonder why they are all fighting"

I'm not sure how contracts work but if NRL bring in new rule change I'm assuming it would have to start with new contracts? E.g. If they can't sign a new contract at club X for more money during years they should be playing for club Y, it would need to be in the original contract right? NRL can't just make this a blanket rule for everyone starting from 2021 - it would have to be for every new contract signed from 2021 onwards?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Aloai in terms of whether he simply won't turn up to training. He will cop a fine, then he will get sacked - but what then? Surely there has to be a ban on him playing for X amount of time if you are sacked for not turning up to training?

Tbh, the NRL are the ones who look the worst from all this mess. It's like a bunch of screaming children acting like little shits and the parents just standing there going "hmmmm, I wonder why they are all fighting"

I'm not sure how contracts work but if NRL bring in new rule change I'm assuming it would have to start with new contracts? E.g. If they can't sign a new contract at club X for more money during years they should be playing for club Y, it would need to be in the original contract right? NRL can't just make this a blanket rule for everyone starting from 2021 - it would have to be for every new contract signed from 2021 onwards?

It’s one of those things, sacking someone from a job they want to leave isn’t really punishment. If he sits in reserve grade the whole year it messes up our cap, they only real punishment is docking his wages which probably leads to legal action. If we can get adequate replacements in it could be in our best interest to let him go. I’d rather settle on a win-win than a lose-lose outcome, however with this club we generally go for the win-lose outcome, with the club ending up on the losing side.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
upload_2020-11-26_21-32-9.png

This is from an SMH article posted this evening. There are a couple of disappointing aspects to this though it is just my opinion

upload_2020-11-26_21-35-19.png
it seems Joe O earns $500k per year at the Broncos. The information in the Brent Read article from this arvo suggests that WT are going to add another year on to this Broncos deal.

upload_2020-11-26_21-41-46.png

The mail on the other forum was that Broncos pay $150k in '21 and $100k in '22. This is comparable to the money Josh Aloiai is on (at least for this season). If we pay $400k for Ofahengaue in 2022 I can probably accept that, What grinds my gears is the fact that the WT have offered him an additional season. This is a huge risk for a guy that has reportedly been on the the slide for the past 2 seasons. Why do it?

The Siro for Garner swap makes absolutely no sense to me. First things first - when Justin Pascoe released Siro to the Eagles at the end of 2016 he still had two years remaining on his contract.

upload_2020-11-26_21-51-57.png

I am 95% certain that we paid some of the freight for Siro to join Manly. Now a few years later the same CEO is looking to have that same player re-sign for us. It is absolutely awful management.

Manly have been very short of edge back rowers for the past few years (2020 especially) so it's no surprise Siro got plenty of NRL minutes. Prior to leaving WT he struggled to make an NRL side with other nuffies like Kyle Lovett for competition. He always had the talent but if he wasnt fit he didn't try!

The two players in the exit lounge Aloiai and Garner have shown improvement every year in my opinion, Aloiai in particular. Garner struggled in matches where he was defening inside Benji Marshall. He also looked awesome whenever he played on the left outside Brooks.

To see Josh and Luke potentially move for Siro and Joe O would be extremely disappointing. Any confidence I might have had for '21 centered on our players in the 23-25 year age bracket really stepping up. In light of these moves I am just not as sure.

Tiger05

First Grade
To see Josh and Luke potentially move for Siro and Joe O would be extremely disappointing. Any confidence I might have had for '21 centered on our players in the 23-25 year age bracket really stepping up. In light of these moves I am just not as sure.

I'd be happy with the trade if you can call it that. I agree with where you are coming from though. Put it this way to me Siro and JO for Garner and JA isn't a great deal. I don't see us as being better off. It's about a break even dependent on Siro and JO performing. I think there is a risk we've gone backwards but we won't know until next season.

Tigerm

First Grade
View attachment 44137

This is from an SMH article posted this evening. There are a couple of disappointing aspects to this though it is just my opinion

View attachment 44138
it seems Joe O earns $500k per year at the Broncos. The information in the Brent Read article from this arvo suggests that WT are going to add another year on to this Broncos deal.

View attachment 44139

The mail on the other forum was that Broncos pay $150k in '21 and $100k in '22. This is comparable to the money Josh Aloiai is on (at least for this season). If we pay $400k for Ofahengaue in 2022 I can probably accept that, What grinds my gears is the fact that the WT have offered him an additional season. This is a huge risk for a guy that has reportedly been on the the slide for the past 2 seasons. Why do it?

The Siro for Garner swap makes absolutely no sense to me. First things first - when Justin Pascoe released Siro to the Eagles at the end of 2016 he still had two years remaining on his contract.

View attachment 44141

I am 95% certain that we paid some of the freight for Siro to join Manly. Now a few years later the same CEO is looking to have that same player re-sign for us. It is absolutely awful management.

Manly have been very short of edge back rowers for the past few years (2020 especially) so it's no surprise Siro got plenty of NRL minutes. Prior to leaving WT he struggled to make an NRL side with other nuffies like Kyle Lovett for competition. He always had the talent but if he wasnt fit he didn't try!

The two players in the exit lounge Aloiai and Garner have shown improvement every year in my opinion, Aloiai in particular. Garner struggled in matches where he was defening inside Benji Marshall. He also looked awesome whenever he played on the left outside Brooks.

I'm happy with the changes.
I think Joe O will be a better player than most of of forwards, he is only 25 (isn't he?) so a 3 yr contract is reasonable I thought, especially if Bronc's are picking up some of it.
As for Garner, the guy just can't tackle. From what bits I saw of Sirro, he will be similar in attack and an improvement in defence.

I would have kept JA, but he made his choice so there is really nothing we can do.

We now have a pretty good forward group to rival most teams., imo.

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I'm happy with the changes.
I think Joe O will be a better player than most of of forwards, he is only 25 (isn't he?) so a 3 yr contract is reasonable I thought, especially if Bronc's are picking up some of it.
As for Garner, the guy just can't tackle. From what bits I saw of Sirro, he will be similar in attack and an improvement in defence.

I would have kept JA, but he made his choice so there is really nothing we can do.

We now have a pretty good forward group to rival most teams., imo.
Ive seen some ordinary efforts from Garner in defence so agree with you on that. I can't back this up with stats but I would say most of his poor misses have come on the right side defending outside Benji.

Having had a bit more time to think about it, Garner was dropped a few times last year so it might be the club trying to move him?

Tiger05

First Grade
Anyone who thinks Joe O isnt a huge upgrade on Aloiai is looking through black white and gold glasses.

We are way in front out of this and I think we have picked up a decent bunch of signings this year.

I think Aloiai is better than Joe O but I hope I am wrong. If we get Curtis Sironen and Joe O is better than Aloiai then we've done well again.

Still overall our signings have improved significantly. We appear to be heading in the right direction. At this point though I reckon next season could be tough.

soc123_au

Staff member
100%.

Next season was always going to be tough going in without a recognized fullback
If you can get Laurie early, with a full off season training with your squad your fullback problem could be solved. I wouldn't have an issue with us releasing him, the Dogs on the other hand can go f**k themselves if they think Burton leaves early.