What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade23

Juniors
I saw a rumour last week Burton had knocked back the Dogs, only for them to increase their offer.
Maybe it is true. They kept floating around $400k a year for him.

Spot on.
He knocked them back late last week. But the Dogs up their offer quick smart. Too hard of a deal to turn down.

That was my 'but' comment last week no one picked up on.

The vultures are throwing a heap of cash Burton's way, we can't match it. But .......

Blade23

Juniors
Luai 1st, Yeo 2nd, then whoever else in my opinion, don't get me wrong, but these 2 guys are very important to keep above all else, if we are serious about another finals in 2021, Crichton is a nice to have, but not the be all end all.
I'd like to know what @Blade knows about Naden (i know he is in therapy) but only from a retention commitee point of view

Won't stand in his way if he gets a deal elsewhere.

Bob

Juniors
Salary cap article by Brent Read in the Australian

Clubs sign up players amid pay deal dispute
Young gun Matt Burton will leave the Panthers for the Bulldogs Picture: NRL Photos
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 6:50PM NOVEMBER 25, 2020
NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo believes the game is only days away from ending a stalemate over pay with their players and reiterated plans to tackle the thorny issue of player movement on a day when two of the most coveted young stars on the open market found new home.

Abdo has been locked in tense negotiations with the Rugby League players Association over cuts to the salary cap for next season, the pressure increasing after the AFL reached an agreement with their playing group.

The NRL had been pushing for a 10 per cent cut, the union responding with demands that any salary slash be capped at five per cent. It is understood the parties are edging closer to agreement, the reduction likely to be in single figures.

The headline number on the AFL cuts was 3.5 per cent, but Abdo was at pains to point out that didn’t reflect the true level of reductions in player payments.

“I think you’ve got to put apples with apples and it’s important you understand the different aspects of the pay cuts,” Abdo said.

“The 3.5 per cent is a bit misleading. The AFL players reduction in pay in 2020 was anywhere between 25 and 50 per cent. You have to look at it over three years and I understand the reduction next year is closer to nine per cent.

“What we are talking about is the players took a 20 per cent pay cut in 2020 and what we’re proposing next year is a lot less than that, as in single figures.

“If you look at it like for like is what we’re asking for in reduction compared to the AFL is significantly less. We’re committed to spreading the pain as evenly as we can over three years and acknowledging the tremendous sacrifice the players have made.

“Having said that, our revenues have dropped by 25 per cent. The game has to transform to survive. We have been looking at different ways at resolving some of the gaps that exist and I’m confident we’re going to get there – and we’re going to get there in the next couple of days.”

While the size of the salary cap remains in dispute, it hasn’t stopped clubs pursuing players with relentless vigour. The Bulldogs on Wednesday announced they had signed Penrith five-eighth Matt Burton for 2022, much to the chagrin of the Panthers.

Penrith released a statement insisting Burton would see out the final year of his deal at the Panthers before moving to the Bulldogs.

Elsewhere, the Wests Tigers remain locked in talks with the Brisbane Broncos over Joe Ofahengaue and Melbourne have made a revised offer to halfback Jahrome Hughes, who is attracting admiring glances from rival clubs.

The biggest move of all came amid revelations that South Sydney would allow teenage sensation Joseph Suaalii to join the Roosters in return for a compensation fee.

Suaalii was at the centre of a tug-of-war between rugby league and rugby union before he decide his future lay with the Roosters, having been impressed with the path laid out for him by coach Trent Robinson.

He could start training with the Roosters as early as Monday and could be eligible to play in round one next year, although he will require dispensation from the NRL to do so given he will only be 17.

The Rabbitohs could have made him sit out for 12 months given he is under contract but opted to sever ties with the teenager. Penrith have taken the opposite tack with Burton and fullback Daine Laurie, who has agreed to join the Tigers in 2022.

The system has been a cause of concern for years and Abdo acknowledged it needed to be looked at.

“That’s what the rules permit,” he said.

“The alternative is narrowing a window to the end of their contract period. Our current CBA and rules don’t permit that.

“To move to something that is different that might avoid that situation requires structural change and we don’t have that at the moment. We have to work through it.

“Regardless of whether the system is right or wrong, we have to try to make it better.”

Blade23

Juniors
What's your opinion on the panic here? Maybe you could calm poor Kilkenny. Poor bugger seems a little frustrated.

I agree Spencer should have been tied up earlier. If they could.
They have been trying for a few months, a month was lost during the finals. I thought at the time he was going to stay, but he chose to look around. It was clear Tamou wasn't going to take the 1-year deal here and Hetherington was on the outer. In my opinion, the club should have opened negotiations earlier on him sooner. In saying that, he could have done the same thing and still waited to test his value on the open market.

The club locked up To'o early, despite the Warriors throwing a heap of money at him. That deal nearly took 6 months. Last Christmas and Covid shutdown slowed it.

Staines stayed. Many thought he would go but he stayed. He could have gone to the Dogs for a lot more money but he stayed. Not all take the cash.

Burton and Laurie have left for greater opportunities. I don't blame them.

The club was very quick to tie up Liam Martin. He didn't want to test his value and they got the deal done. Well before the vultures could circle.

The club has been trying to lock down players before the deadline but some (as their right is) wanted to test their value. After the year we have had a lot of clubs are targeting our players.

Crichton has stuffed a lot of things up. I have been ad nauseam on here for months it was a done deal.
It was. Several people at the club told me so. They were right.
All that needed doing was a few clauses for the new manager and it would have been done and dusted. The club acted in good faith but it was naive in believing a new manager would just sign off on it.
Especially considering who the new manager is! It is going to cost us a lot more money now.

Luai and Yeo will be staying. There was never any risk of them leaving.

We are not going to keep everybody and I can understand people's concerns with recent departures. There might be 1 more soon. As long as we can keep a core of the players together and keep producing good young players, added with a few shrewd purchases we will be fine.

Blade23

Juniors
Even when we’ve lost Burton? Burton seemed the choice to play right centre, losing two centre options isn’t the best.

A few issues off the field. Not all to do with his recent problems.
The club will stand by him, but if he wants a fresh start, he will be allowed to take it.
If he has a good pre-season, maybe they offer him a new deal. It really depends on how he goes over the next month or 2.

Bob

Juniors
They have been trying for a few months, a month was lost during the finals. I thought at the time he was going to stay, but he chose to look around. It was clear Tamou wasn't going to take the 1-year deal here and Hetherington was on the outer. In my opinion, the club should have opened negotiations earlier on him sooner. In saying that, he could have done the same thing and still waited to test his value on the open market.

The club locked up To'o early, despite the Warriors throwing a heap of money at him. That deal nearly took 6 months. Last Christmas and Covid shutdown slowed it.

Staines stayed. Many thought he would go but he stayed. He could have gone to the Dogs for a lot more money but he stayed. Not all take the cash.

The club was very quick to tie up Liam Martin. He didn't want to test his value and they got the deal done. Well before the vultures could circle.

The club has been trying to lock down players before the deadline but some (as their right is) wanted to test their value. After the year we have had a lot of clubs are targeting our players.

Crichton has stuffed a lot of things up. I have been ad nauseam on here for months it was a done deal.
All that needed doing was a few clauses for the new manager and it would have been done and dusted. The club acted in good faith but it was naive in believing a new manager would just sign off on it.
Especially considering who the new manager is! It is going to cost us a lot more money now.

We are not going to keep everybody and I can understand people's concerns with recent departures. There might be 1 more soon. As long as we can keep a core of the players together and keep producing good young players, added with a few shrewd purchases we will be fine.
hope the 1 more is not Spencer, the cupboard is pretty bare after him

If the loss is a big name, this won’t have been a good off season. No getting around it.

WestyLife

First Grade

Seems reasonable. Though I will be a bit concerned if Lenui goes.

Begun the rumour war has.

20201126_152220.jpg

MugaB

Coach
Never going to happen .But a good young front rower if they have one as a trade for releasing him would be nice
There's a young one over at the dogs by the name of Hethrington, a bit of a hot head, played at the warriors in 2020.. maybe that who we should be targeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts