What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Covid will have a massive impact on what the club can put into juniors yeah?

You can spend what you can. Where things will get cut is wasted money. Where we had Part time players like Blore, Soni Luke etc last year.

This year just have the full timers including the development squad only. NSW Cup will be filled out with St Marys guys and Flegg players.

The junior grades likely won't have team in the Andrew Johns and Laurie Daley comps. Which cuts players out of the lower grades.

So it will be a quality over quantity type of thing atleast for the time being

The Realist

Juniors
He doesnt do anything to exciting here but around 50 second mark when he chasing that bomb he opens up for just a second and looks like he's gliding across the ground. The number 15 playing right centre, Zion Tauasa I believe his name is, big lad who puts an amazing move on his opposite turns him inside out and then accelerates down the sideline and dives for the corner around the 1.10 mark, played 16s origin, he looks like he has a future.

That #15 stood out to me. What a gun move.

betcats

Referee
That #15 stood out to me. What a gun move.

Yep he looks like a power runner how he is built but he sure showed some fast feet there.

This age should be in flegg and cup(one or two of them anyway) next season so they aren’t far off. If the lower grades went ahead this year we’d already have half a dozen names we would be keen to see push into first grade. We’ve got a couple in Turuva and Lisati, but there will be more. This is why if the worst happens and we lose a leniu or Critta I won’t be too critical of management. Blowing out our cap now to keep all or most of this bunch will mean we can’t afford to keep the best of the next bunch who are right on their heels.

betcats

Referee
I think the other exit Blade mentioned could be either Leniu(shudder) or possibly Capewell. He had a two year deal, off contract 2021 so he can talk to other clubs now. We haven’t heard much about Kurt signing anywhere and you’d think after that origin series there’d be some interest there and he’d be getting a pay rise.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
3 of the top 4 sides where the oldest 3 squads. Panthers where the exception. And year after year the same thing happens. Getting to caught up on a group of kids coming through Can be dangerous.

On Burton I wouldn't let him go. A genuine premiership threat in 2021. If Nathan or Luai went down they'd still be a chance if Burton come in. If he isn't around and one was injured then it means season probably over.
Unless can loan him to the Dogs. They pay his wage but can be called on anytime.
WTF are you doing in here? I didn't know you took an interest in the Panthers!

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep he looks like a power runner how he is built but he sure showed some fast feet there.

This age should be in flegg and cup(one or two of them anyway) next season so they aren’t far off. If the lower grades went ahead this year we’d already have half a dozen names we would be keen to see push into first grade. We’ve got a couple in Turuva and Lisati, but there will be more. This is why if the worst happens and we lose a leniu or Critta I won’t be too critical of management. Blowing out our cap now to keep all or most of this bunch will mean we can’t afford to keep the best of the next bunch who are right on their heels.

I think Critter stays. Which gives a good core moving forward. Perfect depth guys

Whino

Bench
Screw the Dogs. They are busy raiding our nest with their "Bought not Bred" mentality why should we do them a favour and release Burton. Why make them stronger next year. Make the pricks wait.
If Cleary or Luai goes down next year with a long term injury I would want Burton there instead of May.
When Cleary is on Origin duty or shouldn't back up I would prefer Burton there.
Given the selection volatility of the Blues Luai and Cleary could both be in the 17 next year.
I would hate to have both unavailable and Burton gone.
Injuries were kind to us this year and Origin wasn't a factor. Next year might be different.
We need to keep a strong squad.

hindy111

Post Whore
Capewell was one of the standouts for Qld. Good experienced hard head.
There are guys who are NSW cup level who fizzle out by 22/23 and go get jobs. But if they stick at it but age 25 they are generaly good enough to play NRL even if it's a back up or bench spot. And these guys are important members to a squad.

Stacking a side with talented juniors is a recipe for disaster. You need guys who are older and wiser in your squad.
They bring experience. Do you want all your back ups to be a Rookie? I like guys like W.Smith filling in at Parra.
And you also need finals matches to build on. The more the better. This year you managed 3 big games.They know what extra it takes.

Every season is different. There are 16 teams who want to win it and over half would give themself a legit chance. After losing Blake,Rcg,Maloney,Dwz and Egan I reckon most didn't expect the Panthers to even make the top 8.
How quickly and easily those positions where filled. A few handy signings and a few juniors.
There are plenty of other sides who could do the same in 2021. No side is a lock in. Keep a good spine however and a few good forwards and you will always be competitive and a chance.
Manly are a great example of a squad who can beat anyone when Turbo and DCE are fit and firing added with a few other very good player. But plenty of average sqaud fillers in the 17.
Storm also are bench mark of this.

The_Frog

First Grade
Stacking a side with talented juniors is a recipe for disaster.
Like running second after winning 17 straight?

The Panthers has spent time, and money, in training the players, only for them to signed by other teams, that is wrong. Maybe the teams, who does this a lot, should either compensate the clubs who produces these players, or the NRL should. Better still they should ensure their own junior base is strong.

Perhaps the NRL needs to mandate that every club has to do a certain amount of development or else face a cap penalty. It remains to be seen whether this works out for the Bulldogs, in any case. They've bought big, but they've bought desperate and paid overs, the club is as dysfunctional as ever and they're still favourites for the spoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts