What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

ALSGI

Bench
Based on what we have confirmed so far, my starting 17 for Round 1 2021:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

There is a lot still to play out with our roster for sure.

Obviously the JDB issue still needs to play out. Carrying the four big boppers on our bench won't be sustainable for very long, we need some mobility (preferably a hard nosed mobile forward or two from outside the club). Not sure where Merrin and/or Fuimaono fit into my squad (Mez will see out his career in reserve grade and Fui needs a huge off season).
Rava over JP

saintly1996

Juniors
Rava over JP
thats a seriously weak forward pack

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

Obviously the JDB issue still needs to play out. Carrying the four big boppers on our bench won't be sustainable for very long, we need some mobility (preferably a hard nosed mobile forward or two from outside the club). Not sure where Merrin and/or Fuimaono fit into my squad (Mez will see out his career in reserve grade and Fui needs a huge off season).
We are seriously weak in the forwards

Dea

Juniors
Disappointed that with the player dominos falling yesterday we didn’t land any players. I remain concerned that our forwards have not been bolstered. The loss of Frizell and Graham have not been replaced like-for-like and I’m fearful that we continue to have a soft underbelly for the opposition to run through the middle. Improved fitness and game plan will only get us so far. Player availability is reducing, but would love to see a tough tackling and running edge forward come our way as an early Christmas present. In Hook I hope.

Crush

Coach

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

I'm pretty much the same except I'd start Rava over Pereria and I would get Fuimaono into the 17.
We do need to sign a couple of forwards though if we are to be any chance of matching it with the heavyweights.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If JDB gets off, Saints can have a backrow of Bird at lock and JDB, Tariq second row. It will be one of the best in the league if they are on the field that is and not injured. That is pure quality. But the depth is the issue. Billy Magoulis will be a good pick up.

willzy91

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

A couple of changes for me:

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Lomax
4. M.Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. JDB (if available)

14. Kerr
15. Ford
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, as of now we are 4 players short (possibly 5 pending the DeBelin case).

A lot of talk about who or what we should be looking at to sign, however, I think hook has a specific type of player he is looking for. I'm pretty sure, not like the previous debacles, we won't be signing anyone just for the sake of it. He's after a specific skill set and whilst 4 seems a lot to sign I dislike stage into the start of the preseason, I prefer to get it right rather than boast a full Squad.
I believe there are still talks the number of players and don't discount some movement in the junior ranks.
I think also there is a lot riding on the outcome of the court case.

Old Timer

Coach
Just incredible that the De Belin saga just keeps on impacting us negatively

We don't know whether we are Arthur or Martha and if we need more of 1 thing (forwards) than another (backs).

No doubt Hook's mind is made up and Hunt will be the 7 come start of the season so posters picking Hunt anywhere but there are going to be disappointed and be negative from the get go so best get on board and think "inside" that box.

The question will be who gets the 6, 13 and 9 jumpers and of course the 13 & 9 are JDB dependent.

The conversation now seems to be Hunt can play well at 7 but needs a fit, healthy and stable 6 (Widdop pre injury) so can Hook get Norman to fill that role, hard to know but suggest that will be Hook's 1st port of call.

So IMO Hook will initially have Hunt & Norman in 7 & 6 so it all gets down to 13 & 9.

If JDB is not available then does he go with Mc Innes in the 13 and would that mean BB gets the 9 or does Mc Innes get the 9 and does potentially Ford get the 13?

Looking at all of that would suggest Clune & Sullivan are back up for the halves and that Hook can manufacture a reasonable result out of that so in reality 13 is the real weak point of the team where I suggest neither Ford nor Mc Innes are the right fit and nor is T Simms whose future IMO is in the front row rotation.

If Billy Magnolias can play 13 adequately then he might be a better short term fix but if JDB is not available then a quality 13 must be procured or our stocks will be very limited indeed.

As I say to be in such a precarious position for so long is IMO beyond belief and comprehension.

goldiesaintz

Juniors

We don't know whether we are Arthur or Martha and if we need more of 1 thing (forwards) than another (backs).

No doubt Hook's mind is made up and Hunt will be the 7 come start of the season so posters picking Hunt anywhere but there are going to be disappointed and be negative from the get go so best get on board and think "inside" that box.

The question will be who gets the 6, 13 and 9 jumpers and of course the 13 & 9 are JDB dependent.

The conversation now seems to be Hunt can play well at 7 but needs a fit, healthy and stable 6 (Widdop pre injury) so can Hook get Norman to fill that role, hard to know but suggest that will be Hook's 1st port of call.

So IMO Hook will initially have Hunt & Norman in 7 & 6 so it all gets down to 13 & 9.

If JDB is not available then does he go with Mc Innes in the 13 and would that mean BB gets the 9 or does Mc Innes get the 9 and does potentially Ford get the 13?

Looking at all of that would suggest Clune & Sullivan are back up for the halves and that Hook can manufacture a reasonable result out of that so in reality 13 is the real weak point of the team where I suggest neither Ford nor Mc Innes are the right fit and nor is T Simms whose future IMO is in the front row rotation.

If Billy Magnolias can play 13 adequately then he might be a better short term fix but if JDB is not available then a quality 13 must be procured or our stocks will be very limited indeed.

As I say to be in such a precarious position for so long is IMO beyond belief and comprehension.

I agree, Old Timer.
Defies all logic that the club ( a business ) would hamstring themselves for such a period of time.
Standing by a player is one thing but trying to run a business model in such a way, over several years mind you, simply beggars belief.

Como Connection

First Grade

Very sensible comments OT, agree 100%.
CC

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Agree here OT.

Magoulias is listed as a lock, so my guess is that he will (if signed) be the back up forward on the bench if DeBelin is cleared or be the starting lock if not.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree, Old Timer.
Defies all logic that the club ( a business ) would hamstring themselves for such a period of time.
Standing by a player is one thing but trying to run a business model in such a way, over several years mind you, simply beggars belief.
Hi goldiesaintz and welcome to the forum

I will be most interested to see the clubs response and actions when the outcome of the trial is finalised

I have been a long time follower of this club and really hope I am able to follow them in the future so a lot riding on it for me.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
@George Dragon is the DS 4 or 6 for next year? I was just in the Sharks site and they have signed their 5th player to their DS stating 6 is the number for the 2021 season.

If so, I can see some movement between the current DS squad and some additions to it.

Any clues here?

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Hi goldiesaintz and welcome to the forum

I will be most interested to see the clubs response and actions when the outcome of the trial is finalised

I have been a long time follower of this club and really hope I am able to follow them in the future so a lot riding on it for me.

Thanks OT,

I'm no spring chicken either.
Been following the forum for some time now but with McGregor gone, thought it would be a good time to join up and chew the fat.

Feeling really positive about Hook and 2021.

Belta

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

Good luck is right, a lot of teams have strengthened already and I hope they’re not depending on JDB as that’s not worked well in the past, and that’s pretty close to the side that will run out. Maybe Rav edges out JP. I think we are in for a tough slog but I hope the coaches are planning for the future, so my changes to that side is I’d like to see them give Feagai more game time alongside Lomax in the centres. Initially I’d play Bird as a utility off the bench, he had missed a lot of football and he’d be good value as a utility. Fingers crossed Ramsey starts and can continue make some exciting moments, Sullivan gets a shot and does the same, hopefully the other young backs step up they’ll atleast have a platform with 2nd tier comp running. Call me negative nelly but whenever I hear be patient there’ll be more signings I don’t get my hopes up

George Sancti

Juniors
A couple of changes for me:

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey
3. Lomax
4. M.Feagai
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. JDB (if available)

14. Kerr
15. Ford
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

I think your team is pretty close to the best available willzy91.

Looking at your forward selections, I am starting to think that with the right coaching and game plan, they may be able to hold their own with most opposition clubs. However, they will need that dominant forward we are waiting on, to get on top and for younger players to follow.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

Great post, thanks OT.
You have correctly pinpointed the uncertainty the club still faces until the court delivers its verdict. I have no desire to speak up for the club over this period. Yet I feel I should point out that we now have the advantage of hindsight which makes the club's handling of this matter appear worse. Remember that when JDB's issue arose, they had no forewarning of the NRL's stand down policy. De Belin then took the NRL to court. The coach they regrettably chose and then reconfirmed was standing up for JDB and miraculously expected him to be a late inclusion for the Knights match at Mudgee in 2019. There was even talk of a players'strike.Then de Belin thought to appeal the court's decision before dropping the appeal. The trial process has faced many delays including a lengthy one caused by a world wide pandemic. The club could have anticipated some fallout when hearing of the allegations back in December 2018 but not what has eventuated.

I think it is fair to say that the JDB case, taking place as it did under Mary's wayward leadership, cost the club and us its loyal supporters two long, disappointing years. I just hope with a decision being reached soon it will not be too late to give Griffin time to come up with a more competitive team than the past two years. The fact that he is not Mary gives me some confidence that he will do so.

mickeylane

Bench

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Clune

8. Lawrie
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. McInness

14. Kerr
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Faamausili

No Chance in the world that team trots Round 1..this will be the most likely based on realistic scenarios ..Hook will give Hunt/Norman first dibs on the halves posi's

1. Dufty
2. Fegai
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Kerr/Blacker
9. Mciness
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford