What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bash 2020/2021 (Mens and Womens)

TheParraboy

Staff member
The mighty Thunder derailed the reigning champs

Now to derail the 2020 competition leaders of their first title

I can smell an epic choke..

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...tars-women-vs-sydney-thunder-women-final-wbbl

upload_2020-11-28_9-25-49.png

The WBBL final will pitch Australia's captain, Meg Lanning, against her vice-captain Rachael Haynes. The Melbourne Stars, having reached the knockouts for the first time, are up against the Sydney Thunder who are in their first final since the opening edition of the tournament.

The Stars have been the standout team of the tournament, storming their way through the group stage until a couple of defeats at the back-end but they regathered themselves to comprehensively dispatch the Perth Scorchers.

The Thunder were less consistent in the round-robin but have won when it matters, most spectacularly in their semi-final against the Brisbane Heat when they turned around a game that seemed lost - although the players themselves said the belief never wavered.

While both teams have strength throughout their XIs, it might come down to the Stars' impactful batting verses the Thunder's varied bowling attack - not that the Stars lack at all in that area, either. Lanning, Elyse Villani and Mignon du Preez have led the way for the Stars, backed up by Nat Sciver and latterly the rapidly developing Annabel Sutherland with crucial cameos from Alana King (who has also been a star with ball in hand).

The Thunder's attack includes the pace of Shabnim Ismail, the powerplay skills of left-arm spinner Sam Bates, the experience of Sammy-Jo Johnson and, as shown to such great effect in the semi-final, the yorkers of Hannah Darlington.

Above all, though, this tournament has been a huge success to have been played in its entirety given the challenges that it had to overcome. Many players have not found hub life easy - Haynes admitted she "hadn't enjoyed it" - but they have embraced the new normal and, by and large, the on-field action has been of high quality with established stars standing tall and young names standing out. Hopefully, the final will be a fitting conclusion.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Come on Thunder. Got to keep the tradition of Stars choking in the finals alive.
3-Peat for SJJ?

Will be a big LOL if Stars lose this one, CARN TUNDER !!

Wish the men's tournament had a similar schedule, they play the same amount of matches
All done and dusted in 5 weeks, I guess they need to stretch out the revenue dollars

Eelectrica

Referee
Will be a big LOL if Stars lose this one, CARN TUNDER !!

Wish the men's tournament had a similar schedule, they play the same amount of matches
All done and dusted in 5 weeks, I guess they need to stretch out the revenue dollars
Yeah, when I first watched the mens BBL I didn't mind it because we had so many international stars that we don't get see all that often. It was also just the right length.
This year I'll watch a few games and probably lose interest once finals come on.
The big stars like Clive Rose just aren't the big draw the marketing dept think.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yeah, when I first watched the mens BBL I didn't mind it because we had so many international stars that we don't get see all that often. It was also just the right length.
This year I'll watch a few games and probably lose interest once finals come on.
The big stars like Clive Rose just aren't the big draw the marketing dept think.

Agree

As well as international guest commentators made it better, rather than regular flogs like slater and brayshaw

I must admit, hated Tufnell at the start, but warmed to him and thought he was a hoot (and drunk all the time)

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wat?? Big Bad Clive has me coming back for more year after year.

Latest posts