What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

jak

Bench
I am beginning to think that someone will have to make a call to the ‘ maestro ‘ so as to get the ball rolling in the right direction as far as recruiting some half decent forwards - after all he did seemed to have a knack of signing quality forwards . . . :flushed:
and if the club takes up your bloody idea and makes that call,there will be someone on the forum who will no how to find you.

getsmarty

Immortal
I am beginning to think that someone will have to make a call to the ‘ maestro ‘ so as to get the ball rolling in the right direction as far as recruiting some half decent forwards - after all he did seemed to have a knack of signing quality forwards . . . :flushed:

Patience @Gareth67 ..club not willing to pay massive overs for certain players and they are looking for the right fit...There are some good options at the end of next year also...not fussed about missing out of J O ...has to be at the right price....otherwise roster management becomes a problem down the track.

Have a Good Day Sir.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Patience Gareth67 ..club not willing to pay massive overs for certain players and they are looking for the right fit...There are some good options at the end of next year also...not fussed about missing out of J O ...has to be at the right price....otherwise roster management becomes a problem down the track.

Have a Good Day Sir.
Exactly, getsmarty. The previous years we have gone to the market and got several "make-up-the-numbers" guys to reach the squad quota and wasting money. Some are still on our books and no doubt will be shed at the appropriate time.

I think the recruitment personnel are being very patient and shrewd at long last and I am sure they will be going hard for the right guy(s) and at the right price(s).

Once the outcome of the JDB matter is finalised next week, all options will be discussed and they will go from there.

kit66

Bench
I am a bit concerned about our backrow depth

We have no depth in the forwards and a barely serviceable starting pack. An injury or two this year will make that painfully obvious. Even if JDB is back we'll still struggle. We've needed more forwards for ages but just don't seem to ever make it a priority to recruit more. We need quality as well not just other teams leftovers.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's good that the JDB thing is finally coming to an end. If he does get off it will be hard for the guy going through all that. I would not bank on him being 100% back to his true form. Luckily he has a whole off season to prepare and it is not mid season. If Saints can get him back in form, he will make a massive difference to the defence.

willzy91

Juniors
We have no depth in the forwards and a barely serviceable starting pack. An injury or two this year will make that painfully obvious. Even if JDB is back we'll still struggle. We've needed more forwards for ages but just don't seem to ever make it a priority to recruit more. We need quality as well not just other teams leftovers.

Personally, I'd love to see us continue to blood local products and work on developing more quality players out of our youth system. That's what Hook is best at, and we've seen this in the past. If there isn't the local players with enough talent to make the jump, then there's systemic problem with the set up of our youth system.

Next season is a rebuilding year, don't expect to be challenging for the premiership or even making the top 8.

denis preston

First Grade
Personally, I'd love to see us continue to blood local products and work on developing more quality players out of our youth system. That's what Hook is best at, and we've seen this in the past. If there isn't the local players with enough talent to make the jump, then there's systemic problem with the set up of our youth system.

Next season is a rebuilding year, don't expect to be challenging for the premiership or even making the top 8.

Yes, true to a certain extent but if the forward talent is not there then we have to look elsewhere. Signing up these "potential "players from 16 to play Matthews or Flegg or signing up 20 year olds , like the Canberra forward this week , is a sound policy. We are already doing this but with Hook, Gentle etc making the final call rather than the peanuts before gives me more confidence.

In regard to forward signings i cant see them letting Host go with no replacement plan.

Gareth67

First Grade
i'm starting to worry about you mate, you really do miss him don't you

I be honest mate , he reminded me of one of my prize hogs when I was living at Kandos .

Had to put the poor sod out of his misery when he started to get a craving for snakes and one of the beggars bit him back !

jak

Bench
I be honest mate , he reminded me of one of my prize hogs when I was living at Kandos .

Had to put the poor sod out of his misery when he started to get a craving for snakes and one of the beggars bit him back !
good to hear,so now you no what you have to do.

TheFlash

Juniors
This is the type of young player we should be attempting to sign.
Queensland young gun Brendan Piakura chased by seven rival NRL clubs

He’s currently contracted with the Broncos, but that hasn’t stopped a slew of NRL clubs from attempting to woo this young gun.
David Riccio
November 27, 2020 - 4:10PM
A teenager from Queensland has become the most-wanted signature in the NRL with Canterbury leading the race to secure the huge talent.

The Bulldogs are one of eight clubs — half of the NRL competition — vying to sign 18-year-old Brendan Piakura, widely regarded as a future Queensland State of Origin force.

Big, raw and a left-edge backrower, Pikura is on-contract at the Broncos until the end of 2021, but under NRL rules, he is free to plan for his future with a rival club.

And the interest in the Australian Schoolboys talent is extraordinary.

The Roosters, Eels, Storm, Titans, Raiders, Knights, Bulldogs and Broncos have either submitted a contract offer, or informed of their legitimate interest in signing Piakura.

The other eight clubs in the competition would also be interested if their salary cap or current roster structure would allow them to make a play.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has spoken to Piakura via Zoom call, while Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett recently took time out from his family holiday on the NSW north coast to meet the teenager in-person.

Melbourne are attempting to have Storm coach Craig Bellamy meet with Pikaura this week.

A Tweed Heads local junior, Piakura spent 2020 training inside the Broncos’ first-grade bubble after representing at Australian Schoolboys level.

He was also chosen in the Queensland under-18’s side last year alongside current NRL players Tesi Niu, Xavier Coates and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.

Against the NSW under-18’s last year, Piakura ran for almost 100m in the back row and made 25 tackles in the 34-12 win.
Piakura is also close friends with Maroons under-18’s teammate Sam Walker, who is on a collision course with the NRL at the Sydney Roosters and Bulldogs 2020 clubman of the year and Australian Schoolboys teammate, Jackson Topine

Piakura was believed to be impressed with Barrett‘s clear intent to build a young and talented side for future success.
The Broncos also see Piakura as their future.

However, working against Brisbane is the long-list of quality backrowers and lock-forwards in front of Piakura, including Tevita Pangai, Jordan Riki, Patrick Carrigan, Alex Glenn, Ben Te’o, Corey Oates and Keenan Palasia.

The Eels believe Piakura could pressure their current starting backrow for an immediate elevation to the NRL, while the Raiders and Knights have also pitched strongly.

Piakura also has ties to the Gold Coast.

He grew up idolising Broncos legend Corey Parker, but was born in Newcastle and raised on the Gold Coast.
The Titans are considered outsiders to win the race for Piakura given they unwittingly let him escape their nest to Brisbane as a 16-year-old.
In a Sunday Telegraph interview about Piakura last July, respected player agent Allan Gainey said Piakura’s future will be determined largely by where he will receive the greatest level of tutelage.

“There’s no denying Brendan could have a very successful career in front of him,’’ Gainey said.
“But what’s important is what he does with that talent and how we can help him receive the best opportunity to enhance his development under the right coaching.’’

BLM01

First Grade

He’s currently contracted with the Broncos, but that hasn’t stopped a slew of NRL clubs from attempting to woo this young gun.
David Riccio
A teenager from Queensland has become the most-wanted signature in the NRL with Canterbury leading the race to secure the huge talent.

The Bulldogs are one of eight clubs — half of the NRL competition — vying to sign 18-year-old Brendan Piakura, widely regarded as a future Queensland State of Origin force.

Big, raw and a left-edge backrower, Pikura is on-contract at the Broncos until the end of 2021, but under NRL rules, he is free to plan for his future with a rival club.

The Roosters, Eels, Storm, Titans, Raiders, Knights, Bulldogs and Broncos have either submitted a contract offer, or informed of their legitimate interest in signing Piakura.

The other eight clubs in the competition would also be interested if their salary cap or current roster structure would allow them to make a play.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has spoken to Piakura via Zoom call, while Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett recently took time out from his family holiday on the NSW north coast to meet the teenager in-person.

Melbourne are attempting to have Storm coach Craig Bellamy meet with Pikaura this week.

A Tweed Heads local junior, Piakura spent 2020 training inside the Broncos’ first-grade bubble after representing at Australian Schoolboys level.

He was also chosen in the Queensland under-18’s side last year alongside current NRL players Tesi Niu, Xavier Coates and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.

Against the NSW under-18’s last year, Piakura ran for almost 100m in the back row and made 25 tackles in the 34-12 win.
Piakura is also close friends with Maroons under-18’s teammate Sam Walker, who is on a collision course with the NRL at the Sydney Roosters and Bulldogs 2020 clubman of the year and Australian Schoolboys teammate, Jackson Topine

Piakura was believed to be impressed with Barrett‘s clear intent to build a young and talented side for future success.

However, working against Brisbane is the long-list of quality backrowers and lock-forwards in front of Piakura, including Tevita Pangai, Jordan Riki, Patrick Carrigan, Alex Glenn, Ben Te’o, Corey Oates and Keenan Palasia.

The Eels believe Piakura could pressure their current starting backrow for an immediate elevation to the NRL, while the Raiders and Knights have also pitched strongly.

He grew up idolising Broncos legend Corey Parker, but was born in Newcastle and raised on the Gold Coast.
The Titans are considered outsiders to win the race for Piakura given they unwittingly let him escape their nest to Brisbane as a 16-year-old.
In a Sunday Telegraph interview about Piakura last July, respected player agent Allan Gainey said Piakura’s future will be determined largely by where he will receive the greatest level of tutelage.

“There’s no denying Brendan could have a very successful career in front of him,’’ Gainey said.
“But what’s important is what he does with that talent and how we can help him receive the best opportunity to enhance his development under the right coaching.’’

Geez no pressure on that kid is there!
What has this kid done so far that others that have played Aust Schoolboys before him have not done
Is this another inflate job?..anyway well done Gainey
I thought Suaalii was the biggest young star going round

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

David Riccio

I like the sentence about the other clubs would be interested too if they had the cap space and Roosters are one of the clubs included. Even the Titans must be pushing the limit after signing Fifita and Tino.

Gareth67

First Grade
I like the sentence about the other clubs would be interested too if they had the cap space and Roosters are one of the clubs included. Even the Titans must be pushing the limit after signing Fifita and Tino.

The Rorters , everything just seems to fall in place for those leeches . Now they are seeking dispensation from the NRL so as this Sului kid can play before the correct age ( as recommended by the medical fraternity ) quite simply unbelievable , whatever they want - they get , by hook or crook .

getsmarty

Immortal
The Rorters , everything just seems to fall in place for those leeches . Now they are seeking dispensation from the NRL so as this Sului kid can play before the correct age ( as recommended by the medical fraternity ) quite simply unbelievable , whatever they want - they get , by hook or crook .

TEDESCO CLOSES IN ON MONSTER ROOSTERS EXTENSION

Blues and Kangaroos fullback James Tedesco is closing in on a multimillion-dollar extension with the Sydney Roosters.

Brent Read revealed that reports Roosters signing Joseph Suaalii was seen as a contingency plan for Tedesco were wide of the mark and that a three-year extension north of $1 million a season was imminent, which would tie Tedesco to the Tri-colours until the end of 2024.

“There had been a bit of talk that if the Roosters couldn’t get a deal done with James Tedesco that Suaalii would be an insurance policy,” Read said on Triple M.

“Tedesco has a year left on his deal and as I understand it the Roosters are very close to announcing something with him.

“I think it will be a three-year extension to that deal. They are talking in the vicinity of upwards of $3 million dollars.

“I think we can put it to bed that Teddy is not going anywhere and will be there for the long-term.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a deal done in the next week or so.”

At 27, Tedesco has scored 88 tries in 158 games for the Tigers and the Roosters and has played 13 games for the Blues and 10 Tests for the Kangaroos and Italy.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/376366676d1cd81e35bdb7f407d51af3

jak

Bench
send your mate mary over to give them a hand.

Latest posts