What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

blue bags

First Grade
Two footy legends, their glamorous WAGS and an EPIC spat - but was it real? Cameron Smith is forced to address vicious rumours that 'crossed the line' and rocked his family
  • Cameron Smith says vicious rumours in 2018 'crossed the line' and rocked family
  • His wife Barb was questioned about Storm star's relationship with teammates
  • She was dragged into the mess amid rumours of a fallout with Billy Slater's wife

NRL superstar Cameron Smith refused to talk about his rumoured affair with Yvonne Sampson at his book launch despite writing about it in his autobiography

35892436-8968273-image-a-15_1605829840305.jpg

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment as it addresses 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with popular Fox sports presenter Ms Sampson

Channel Nine and Sydney Morning Herald journalist Danny Weidler has since slammed the $49.99 book, claiming it contains misinformation.

'I'm finding it very hard to cop a lot of what Smith is saying,' Weidler said on radio station Triple M on Tuesday.

'Cameron Smith dipped into the sewer of rugby league to dredge out a rumour that was false about himself and Yvonne Sampson in order to get publicity for his book, that's how I see it.

'I didn't think it had to be part of his book, he obviously did. That's his decision, that's fine.

'Where I find it difficult to comprehend is he can bring that up, but won't deal with the genuine story which is his fallout with Cooper Cronk.

'I don't have a personal thing with Cameron Smith, [but] some of his behaviour hasn't impressed me.'

Smith ignited more controversy following the release of his new autobiography. He's pictured with wife Barb at the 2018 Dally M awards

Ms Sampson was forced to respond to the false affair rumours last week after they were dredged up by Smith in the days leading to the autobiography's release.

'My husband and I were made aware of these absurd and baseless rumours when they surfaced three years ago. They are utterly false. This malicious gossip has no bearing on my life, career as a journalist or love of rugby league,' she told News Corp.

Smith, 37, said when he was first informed of the unfounded gossip being spread on social media, he was so surprised he burst out laughing.

But the NRL star, who has been married to his wife Barbara for almost ten years, quickly realised the gravity of situation.

False rumours of an affair with Ms Sampson began to circulate on social media ahead of the 2018 Grand Final.

35759532-8972213-Yvonne_Sampson_pictured_with_her_husband_reporter_Chris_O_Keefe_-a-35_1605930848640.jpg

Yvonne Sampson (pictured with her husband, reporter Chris O'Keefe) was forced to respond to false rumours of an affair after Smith dredged up the 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' claims while promoting his book

In his book, Smith said the rumours were 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' as he addressed the devastating impact the rumours had on his shattered wife.

'Honestly, if I was going to have an affair – which I never would – why would I do it with someone with a profile as big as hers? And in my own sport?' he wrote.

Smith also revealed Ms Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on her show, but he refused to do so.

Smith said on the first occasion he did an interview with Ms Sampson after the rumours surfaced he felt deeply concerned for her and her fiance, who were getting ready to marry later that year.

The champion hooker revealed his wife and Ms Sampson exchanged text messages in the aftermath of the rumours - checking on each other's welfare.

How a one-word text message ended Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk’s friendship after fateful decision by the halfback left Smith so furious he wouldn’t pass him the ball on the field
BY CHARLIE COE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

A one-word text message between former NRL teammates Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk reportedly marked the demise of their friendship.

The pair's ongoing rift since Cronk left the Melbourne Storm at the end of the 2017 season to join the Sydney Roosters has been under the spotlight following the launch of Smith's autobiography this week.

Speculation has grown the feud began when Smith turned down an invitation for him and his wife Barb to attend Cronk's wedding in the months after the controversial career move.

The relationship between Smith and Cronk is believed to have soured in the build-up to the Roosters star's wedding to wife Tara Rushton.

35712386-8972213-Relations_soured_between_Cameron_Smith_and_Cooper_Cronk_pictured-a-36_1605931310606.jpg

Relations soured between Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk (pictured right) after Cronk left the Melbourne Storm at the end of the 2017 season to be closer to wife Tara Rushton (left)

View attachment 44107

Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (pictured after the Storm's grand final win in 2017) were once close mates but relations became strained after Cronk left the club

The ex-teammates are believed to have kept their distance during the 2017 World Cup - with Smith even ignoring Cronk's calls to be given the ball during games.

When Cronk contacted Smith because he hadn't received a reply to the wedding RSVP, the Storm legend is believed to have turned the invitation down with a very curt reply.

Smith simply sent the word 'no' in a text message and the two have not spoken privately since, veteran rugby league journalist Paul Kent wrote in a column for The Daily Telegraph.

Their former teammates won't shed any further light on the matter besides claiming Cronk was angered by the 'abrupt no-show'.

Smith's fractured relationship with Cronk and Storm teammate Billy Slater became public in 2018 when it was reported his wife Barb had a falling out with Slater's wife, Nicole.

Their fractured friendship was seemingly laid bare for everyone to see when Cronk took on his old club in Roosters colours for the first time in mid 2018.

View attachment 44108

Tensions escalated in the 2018 NRL Grand Final when Cronk famously placed Smith in a chokehold (pictured) after taking exception to a crunching tackle

He warmly embraced all of his former teammates but offered only a brief handshake and minimal eye contact with Smith following the match.

Tensions spilled over on the field a few months later in the grand final when Cronk famously placed Smith in a chokehold after taking exception to a crunching tackle during the Roosters' victory.

The former best mates then avoided each other after the match with reports Cronk abruptly changed direction to avoid coming face to face with his former captain.

Adding fuel to the fire, the pair both snubbed each other in post-match interviews and speeches.

View attachment 44109

Cronk (pictured with wife Tara Rushton) maintains there is no bad blood 'from my end of the bargain' in his relationship with Smith
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-rumours-Barbs-spat-Billy-Slaters-wife.html
Cameron Smith addresses rumours of Barb's spat with Billy Slater's wife

Reflector

Juniors
Two footy legends, their glamorous WAGS and an EPIC spat - but was it real? Cameron Smith is forced to address vicious rumours that 'crossed the line' and rocked his family
  • Cameron Smith says vicious rumours in 2018 'crossed the line' and rocked family
  • His wife Barb was questioned about Storm star's relationship with teammates
  • She was dragged into the mess amid rumours of a fallout with Billy Slater's wife
By ZOE ZACZEK and AIDAN WONDRACZ FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 15:25 AEDT, 21 November 2020 | UPDATED: 19:12 AEDT, 21 November 2020

Cameron Smith says vicious rumours about his relationship with former teammates and his wife's spat with another WAG 'crossed the line' and rocked his family.

The Melbourne Storm star addressed the 2018 headlines that he fell out with Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater in his book, The Storm Within.

The unwanted media attention came after Cronk moved to Sydney to marry Fox presenter Tara Rushton in December 2017. Cronk parted ways with Storm and joined the Roosters for the 2018 season.

But Smith said he was 'stunned' when his wife and the mother of his three children, Barb, was dragged into the mess amid claims of a bitter feud with Slater's wife.

35934224-8972213-image-a-20_1605930109913.jpg

Cameron Smith is pictured with his wife Bard in 2019. The couple have three children together

35934228-8972213-image-a-21_1605930132258.jpg

Billy Slater is pictured with his wife Nicole in January this year. Smith addressed rumours his wife Barb fell out with the WAG

'Barb was brought into it, again, when stories went around about a spat between her and Billy's wife, Nic, which never happened,' Smith wrote in the book.

'They're good friends to this day. We were stunned. ''Where is this s**t coming from?'' we asked ourselves.

'What was clear was that the stories were being fabricated to fit a narrative: Cameron Smith does not get on with his teammates, and vice versa.
'It couldn't have been any further from the truth, but the more it was written and talked about, the more people seemed to believe it.'

Smith said the couple 'had enough', and recalled a particular incident that set him over the edge.

He was preparing to take on the Warriors in New Zealand in July 2018 when his high school sweetheart was approached by a reporter while unloading groceries.

35934216-8972213-image-a-22_1605930140551.jpg

Pictured: Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk of Storm pose with the trophy during the lap of honour after winning the 2012 NRL Grand Final

The journalist questioned Barb about Smith's 'relationship with his teammates'.

'Barb told him to p**s off – but even so, the episode rocked her,' Smith said.

'Barb was shocked. Why was a reporter approaching her for comment about anything, especially on our property? How did he even know where we lived?

'If I'd been there, I would've given that bloke a mouthful. He had invaded her privacy – her personal space – and in that space were our three children, all of whom felt upset after seeing their mum get rattled.

Smith wrote that things were starting to 'get out of hand'.

'Barb and I live a simple life. We're down-to-earth people doing the best we can. It just so happens that my job has a high profile,' he wrote.

'Away from footy, we just enjoy hanging out at home and being as far from the public eye as possible. This had crossed the line.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-rumours-Barbs-spat-Billy-Slaters-wife.html
35934218-8972213-image-a-26_1605930164292.jpg

The Melbourne Storm star addressed the 2018 headlines that he had fallen out with Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater in his book, The Storm Within

The Melbourne Storm captain launched his much-anticipated autobiography The Storm Within at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Monday.

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment as it addresses 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson.

Smith's PR team warned media to avoid the hot topic and to also sidestep questions about his family and wife Barbara, Courier Mail reported.

The book has gotten off to a rocky start with Smith cancelling 30 pre-planned interviews, because of family concerns, on Tuesday.

35759508-8956427-image-a-53_1605590462828.jpg

Cameron Smith addresses rumours of Barb's spat with Billy Slater's wife

Of course Billy would wear boat shoes...

blue bags

First Grade
The question Cameron Smith WON'T answer: Footy legend gags media from asking about one of the most controversial periods of his life - despite dredging up the vile rumours to sell his new book
  • Cameron Smith has faced backlash following launch of autobiography this week
  • 'Storm Within' addresses rumoured affair with Fox's Yvonne Sampson
  • Smith's PR team told media to avoid questions about the hot topic at launch
  • Reporter claimed NRL superstar's autobiography contains misinformation
By AIDAN WONDRACZ and KYLIE STEVENS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...edia-avoid-Yvonne-Sampson-affair-rumours.html
Footy superstar Cameron Smith refused to talk about his rumoured affair with Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson at his book launch despite writing about it in his autobiography.

The Melbourne Storm captain launched his much-anticipated autobiography 'The Storm Within' at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Monday.

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment as it addresses 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with Ms Sampson.

Smith's PR team warned media to avoid the hot topic and to also sidestep questions about his family and wife Barbara, Courier Mail reported.

The book has gotten off to a rocky start with Smith cancelling 30 pre-planned interviews, because of family concerns, on Tuesday.

35759508-8956427-image-a-53_1605590462828.jpg

NRL superstar Cameron Smith refused to talk about his rumoured affair with Yvonne Sampson at his book launch despite writing about it in his autobiography

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment as it addresses 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with popular Fox sports presenter Ms Sampson

Channel Nine and Sydney Morning Herald journalist Danny Weidler has since slammed the $49.99 book, claiming it contains misinformation.
'I'm finding it very hard to cop a lot of what Smith is saying,' Weidler said on radio station Triple M on Tuesday.

'Cameron Smith dipped into the sewer of rugby league to dredge out a rumour that was false about himself and Yvonne Sampson in order to get publicity for his book, that's how I see it.

'I didn't think it had to be part of his book, he obviously did. That's his decision, that's fine.

'Where I find it difficult to comprehend is he can bring that up, but won't deal with the genuine story which is his fallout with Cooper Cronk.

'I don't have a personal thing with Cameron Smith, (but) some of his behaviour hasn't impressed me.'

NRL superstar Cameron Smith has ignited more controversy following the release of his new autobiography this week. He's pictured with wife Barb at the 2018 Dally M awards

Foxsports.com.au claims it received an email from his publisher at 11.20pm on Monday night advising Smith had cancelled an interview scheduled for the next day.

The media outlet wasn't the only one to be snubbed with SEN radio host Andrew Voss revealing he was given the same treatment at short notice.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted book publisher Allen & Unwin for further comment.

Ms Sampson was forced to respond to the false affair rumours last week after they were dredged up by Smith in the days leading to the autobiography's release.

'My husband and I were made aware of these absurd and baseless rumours when they surfaced three years ago. They are utterly false. This malicious gossip has no bearing on my life, career as a journalist or love of rugby league,' she told News Corp.

Yvonne Sampson (pictured with her husband, reporter Chris O'Keefe) was forced to respond to false rumours of an affair after Cameron Smith dredged up the 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' claims while promoting his book

Smith, 37, said when he was first informed of the unfounded gossip being spread on social media, he was so surprised he burst out laughing.

But the NRL star, who has been married to his wife Barbara for almost ten years, quickly realised the gravity of situation.

False rumours of an affair with Ms Sampson began to circulate on social media ahead of the 2018 Grand Final.
In his book, Smith said the rumours were 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' as he addressed the devastating impact the rumours had on his shattered wife.

'Honestly, if I was going to have an affair – which I never would – why would I do it with someone with a profile as big as hers? And in my own sport?' he wrote.

Smith also revealed Ms Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on her show, but he refused to do so.

35641790-8945353-image-a-29_1605277383737.jpg

Former Queensland Maroons captain Cameron Smith (right) stands with his family ahead of Game 3 of the 2018 State of Origin series between the NSW Blues and the Queensland Maroons at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane

Smith said on the first occasion he did an interview with Ms Sampson after the rumours surfaced he felt deeply concerned for her and her fiance, who were getting ready to marry later that year.

The champion hooker revealed his wife and Ms Sampson exchanged text messages in the aftermath of the rumours - checking on each other's welfare.

Cameron Smith has revealed his wife Barb and Fox Sports host Yvonne Sampson (pictured) exchanged texts in the aftermath of the rumours - checking on each other's welfare.

As damaging, false rumours ran wild that she had an affair with Cameron Smith, TV star Yvonne Sampson asked him to publicly shoot them down with her. He refused. This is why he's the footy legend Aussies love to hate, writes MIKE COLMAN

If Cameron Smith's new book 'The Storm Within' teaches us just one thing, it is this: being great does not make you popular.

I've only ever had one conversation with Cameron Smith in my life and I found him to be a very pleasant fellow with a down-to-earth manner and an engaging smile. He struck me as someone who likes to keep his cards close to his chest, but that's no crime.

So why does the most successful rugby league player of his generation – some would say the most successful of all time – manage to rub so many people up the wrong way?

Is it because he is so good?

Melbourne Storm Captain Cameron Smith is kissed by his wife Barbara Smith as he leaves the field after becoming the first player to reach 400 matches in July 2019

35754438-8955685-image-a-29_1605571284852.jpg

Smith's friendship with Cooper Cronk (right) came to an end when he moved to Sydney to marry TV presenter Tara Rushton (left) and signed with the Roosters for the 2018 season

Hardly. If that were the case, his long-time team-mates Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater wouldn't be as overwhelmingly liked as they are.

Is it because he plays for the Melbourne Storm, a team that has made winning an art form?

See above, under Billy Slater.

Is it because he led Queensland through the Maroon's most successful period of Origin dominance over the Blues thus alienating the entire state of NSW?

Well, surely that would at least make him a folk-hero in Queensland, which he's not.

Then what?

Read the book. Or, if you can't bring yourself to put any of your hard-earned into his wallet, then at least read the excerpts that have been filling papers and online news sites to the point of saturation over the past few days.

It's all there in black and white.

As he is on the field, laying down the law to referees and opposition players alike, Smith cannot be wrong. Like his passing and kicking, he's perfect. In anecdote after anecdote, reflection after reflection, the World According to Cameron is very much coloured purple and gold – just like his Storm jersey.

blue bags

First Grade
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...edia-avoid-Yvonne-Sampson-affair-rumours.html

Now you've got to give Smith and his co-author, journalist Andrew Webster, credit for not trying to win any new friends by making him appear a sympathetic character.

35754044-8955685-image-a-19_1605570520080.jpg

In his book, Smith addressed 'completely untrue' rumours he was having an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson (left)

Smith is chaired off the field following a win in the first NRL preliminary final between Melbourne Storm and the Canberra Raiders at Suncorp Stadium on October 16

Smith tells it just like he sees it. Which is at times so self-serving as to be almost laughable.

In the prologue he says, 'This is my chance to set the record straight'. Some might say not so much straight as slanted very much to Smith's side of the story.

Pictured: Cameron Smith's new book 'The Storm Within'

He also tells us he was never the fastest or strongest of players. Maybe not, but if this book is anything to go by, he has a world class sidestep and dummy.

Reading through the 373 pages there were many times when my mouth dropped open and I couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at his take on history.

The best example was when he was describing his bitterness after the Storm was stripped of two premierships and forced to play the 2010 season for no points as punishment for the club's systemic cheating of the NRL's salary cap to the tune of millions of dollars.

And who did Smith hold responsible for his anger? Brian Waldron the Storm CEO who orchestrated the rort?

What about Matt Hanson, the Storm's former financial officer at whose home a secret dossier containing incriminating evidence of secret payments to players was found?

No, neither of them. It was the NRL CEO David Gallop who according to Smith, should have waited until the league finished its investigation before announcing its sanctions.

Forget the fact that the investigation proved conclusively that the Storm did in fact keep two sets of books and that the amount of the deception was actually $3.78 million – more than double the initial estimate – and that 13 players, including Smith, received illegal payments.

While there was never any evidence that the players knew they were being paid 'under the table', in Smith's view someone from outside the hallowed corridors of Storm HQ had to be the villain, and Gallop was the most convenient scapegoat.

Todd Greenberg gifted Smith's wife (left) with a $10,000 diamond ring after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game milestone

Smith said that when Greenberg (pictured) offered the ring, he told him that it was a 'great idea'

As an interesting sidebar, Smith says that in contrast to the way Gallop handled the Storm's blatant rorting, he was so impressed with the softer approach the then-NRL CEO Todd Greenberg took when Parramatta was found guilty of a much smaller $570,000 breach six years later that he called him to offer his congratulations.

Greenberg, of course, features heavily in another controversial chapter in Smith's life story, when he orchestrated the gift of a $10,000 diamond ring to Smith's wife Barb after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game milestone.

Smith says that when Greenberg offered the ring, he told him – rather naively it would seem - that it was a 'great idea'.

Maybe not so much. Apparently Smith was totally unprepared for the reaction from the haters. It never dawned on him to suggest that a nice bunch of flowers would be a safer alternative. That as one of the highest paid players in the game, if he wanted his wife to have a diamond ring to thank her for all her support over the years, he'd buy it himself.

The inevitable eruption was swift and large. Greenberg was accused of wasting money that could have been spent on junior development. The Smiths were portrayed as greedy.

Barb said she'd give the ring back. Smith contemplated quitting the game. In the end they did neither, although Todd Greenberg's papers were stamped. He was out the door less than six months later.

Smith and wife Barbara arrive at the Dally M Awards at The Star in Sydney in September 2017

Then there is his take on unfounded rumours on social media that he was having an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson.

Again he understandably takes the opportunity to give his side of the story, but also reveals that Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on a program she hosted. He refused.

'I wasn't comfortable doing that,' he says, leaving her to face the innuendo alone.

As for claims in the book that he remains in the dark over the reasons behind a bitter fallout between him and former team-mate Cooper Cronk, I guess we'll have to wait for Cronk's book to get the other side of that story - but in the meantime you can take it as read that the instigator was Smith.

Once the closest of mates, their relationship ended when Cronk moved to Sydney to marry TV presenter Tara Rushton and signed with the Roosters for the 2018 season.

According to reliable inside reports, Smith cut Cronk dead from the moment it was announced he would be joining the Storm's arch-rivals. He even refused to pass him the ball when they were playing together for Australia a few months later.

The final insult came when, after receiving no reply to his wedding invitation, Cronk texted Smith to ask whether he would be attending.

'No', came the curt reply.

Smith poses with his book at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on November 16

The public first became aware of the animosity between the two when Cronk avoided a post-match hug from Smith after the first Storm-Roosters game in which they opposed each other.

Later that season they met in the grand final and the vision of Cronk kneeling over Smith with his hands around his throat went viral.

Smith's version of it all?

'People started asking me what was going on between me and Cooper', he says in the book.

'I wish I could've given them the answer. I had no idea.'

Oh please.

blue bags

First Grade
There is one major talking point in Smith's life story where I am totally on his side, and that is the aftermath of the horrific incident involving Newcastle Knights player Alex McKinnon in 2014.

McKinnon, who became a paraplegic after being hit in a tackle by three Storm players, was featured on 60 Minutes just over a year later. For the first time he was shown footage which purported to show Smith arguing with referee Gerard Sutton over a penalty as McKinnon lay injured nearby.

Smith is seen during the 2010 season. Melbourne Storm completed the season without points after salary cap breaches were revealed

'Is he still debating?' a shocked McKinnon asked reporter Liz Hayes. 'Is he f@#%ing serious?'

Smith – who wasn't invited to appear on the program - says the footage was edited to make it look like the discussion with Sutton occurred as McKinnon was still being treated on the field, when in fact it happened after he had been stretchered off.

Regardless, surely it is logical and fair to accept that Smith could not possibly have known the seriousness of McKinnon's injury at the time, and as Storm captain he had every right to question the referee about the penalty.

But whether those many Smith haters out there will look at anything logically or fairly in this book is the $10,000 diamond ring question.

He might have taken his 'chance to set the record straight' but I have my doubts it will make anyone change their opinion about him.

Sometimes that's the price of greatness.

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO CAM
2010 MELBOURNE STORM SEASON AND SALARY CAP DRAMA

The club was penalised for salary cap breaches after it was revealed they kept two sets of books: one complying with the NRL salary cap and another disclosing the real payments. Melbourne were stripped of their titles of 2007 and 2009 premierships and did not receive points during the 2010 season.

Smith did not blame those accountable for the rort but claims the NRL CEO at the time, David Gallop, should have waited until the league finished its investigation before announcing its sanctions.

TODD GREENBERG GIFTS SMITH'S WIFE WITH A $10,000 DIAMOND RING

Smith's wife Barb was given the ring after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game milestone.

Smith said that when Greenberg offered the ring, he told him that it was a 'great idea'.

But the present was widely criticised and Smith contemplated walking away from the league amid the backlash.

'Things were getting out of control and it forced me, at the end of the 2019 season, to ask myself some serious questions. Should I walk away from the game? Or keep playing and put my family through this unwanted scrutiny,' he wrote.

FALSE RUMOURS OF AN AFFAIR WITH TV HOST

False rumours of an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson began to circulate on social media ahead of the 2018 Grand Final.

In his book, Smith said the rumours were 'cruel' and 'completely untrue'.

Smith also revealed Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on a program she hosted. He refused as he did not feel 'comfortable'.

FRIENDSHIP WITH FORMER TEAMMATE COOPER CRONK

Once the closest of mates, their relationship ended when Cronk moved to Sydney to marry TV presenter Tara Rushton and signed with the Roosters for the 2018 season.

According to reliable inside reports, Smith cut Cronk dead from the moment it was announced he would be joining the Storm's arch-rivals.

Cronk invited Smith to his wedding and after receiving no reply to his wedding invitation, he sent a text to ask whether his former teammate would be in attendance.

'No', Smith reportedly replied.

Smith claims he has no clue why he and Cronk are no longer good friends.
www.foxsports.co...https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/storm/nrl-news-cameron-smith-book-cooper-cronk-david-gallop-salary-cap-cheating-interviews/news-story/c0819fdc537346578a59ad631800ee83

Cameron Smith's PR team warn media to avoid Yvonne Sampson affair rumours

blue bags

First Grade
Under-siege footy star Cameron Smith opens up on his bitter feud with Channel 9 after he was slammed for his 'ridiculous' response to a tackle that left Alex McKinnon paralysed
  • Cameron Smith addresses Alex McKinnon incident in his newly released book
  • Opens up about bitter grudge with Channel Nine, which continues to this day
  • Was portrayed as villain by 60 Minutes a year after horror tackle on McKinnon
  • Promised on-air apology by head of sport, which was left to Footy Show host
By KYLIE STEVENS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 12:25 AEDT, 18 November 2020 | UPDATED: 12:55 AEDT, 18 November 2020

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...annel-9-60-Minutes-segment-Alex-McKinnon.html

NRL legend Cameron Smith has lifted the lid on his bitter grudge against Channel Nine which was sparked by a 60 Minutes segment on Alex McKinnon.

The promising Newcastle Knights NRL star was left a quadriplegic at age 22 after a tackle by the Melbourne Storm's Jordan McLean went horribly wrong in 2014.

Storm captain Smith came under heavy fire for arguing with referee Gerard Sutton during the lengthy delay as McKinnon laid motionless on the field.

However, Smith maintains he only remonstrated with the referee once McKinnon had been taken from the field.

Smith copped more backlash a year later when 60 Minutes portrayed him as a villain by airing the footage of Smith's actions to a shocked McKinnon, who was watching it for the first time.

Smith immediately cut ties with Channel Nine and snubbed a former Origin teammate's request for a post-match interview on the network three nights later.

The NRL superstar, 37, has defended his actions during the incident in his new autobiography The Storm Within.

Channel Nine apologises to Cameron Smith on The Footy Show

x
35794998-8959631-image-a-14_1605656465018.jpg

Cameron Smith (pictured with wife Barb) addressed his bitter feud with Channel Nine over the incident that left Alex McKinnon a quadriplegic in his new autobiography released this week

Six years on, Smith insists the tackle wasn't illegal, despite McLean copping a seven-match suspension.

Smith added he nor any of his teammates had no idea of the extent of McKinnon's injuries until the next day.

He says he tried to check on McKinnon's welfare but claimed the Knights repeatedly refused his requests to speak to the injured player.

'I don't know if Alex was ever made aware of those approaches but I was on the front foot every day,' Smith wrote.

'How is he? Can we go up there? Can we talk to him'.

'There were claims we didn't care. That we had no regard for the injury he'd suffered. And that simply wasn't true.'

35795004-8959631-image-a-15_1605656473897.jpg

Alex McKinnon (pictured with wife Teigan) was left a quadriplegic after a horror tackle in 2014

In the footage, Smith was heard saying to the referee: 'I don't want to see that happen to anyone in our game but, if he (McKinnon) doesn't duck his head that doesn't happen.'

McKinnon hadn't seen the footage until 60 Minutes played it to him a year later in 2015.

'Is he still debating? Is he f***ing serious?' McKinnon says as he watches the clip.

'Wouldn't you just shut up? You see someone with eight, nine people around them and you want to debate a f***ing penalty.

'That's the Australian captain there ... so well done ... it is f***ing ridiculous.'

McKinnon said he had heard from McLean but not Smith since the incident.

'I don't know whether he has tried to make contact through the club but if Jordan McLean can make contact ... I haven't heard anything from him (Smith).

'I'm not angry, it just reassures the type of person that he is, at least Jordan reached out.'

35793994-8959631-image-a-17_1605656506484.jpg

Smith stands next to injured opponent Alex McKinnon moments after the tackle in 2014

Smith claims when he finally spoke to McKinnon a few weeks later, he was told Nine kept playing the footage and asking questions until they got the angry reaction they wanted.

He recalled his fury about not being approached to give his side of the story before the segment aired three nights before the 2015 State of Origin decider and five days before his 300th NRL game.

The then Maroons skipper gave Channel Nine the cold shoulder in the days that followed.

He snubbed Nine commentator and former teammate Darren Lockyer's approach for a post-match interview on the field moments after Queensland won the Origin decider.

'The Queensland Rugby League let Nine know how I felt: there was no way I was talking to them before, during or after the match,' Smith wrote in his book.

Cameron Smith argued with referee Gerard Sutton about a penalty against his side during a lengthy delay that followed the tackle

The feud continued to simmer for another 10 months before Smith and his wife Barb sat down with Nine's then-head of sport Tom Malone and then NRL CEO Todd Greenberg in May 2016.

The couple demanded a public apology from Nine as they discussed the devastating toll the saga had on their family.

'We asked why I hadn't been asked for comment before the program had aired, and they said they didn't feel like I needed to be in it,' Smith wrote.

'That made no sense. Why wouldn't they give me a chance to share my opinion?

'Barb and I got it all off our chests, and I think they were quite taken aback by the emotion from both of us.

I didn't get teary, but I did choke up talking about it because of the effect it had on my family.'

35795012-8959631-image-a-18_1605656549892.jpg

Smith (pictured) says the Newcastle Knights rejected his requests to speak to Alex McKinnon (pictured injured on the ground) in the days that followed the shocking tackle

blue bags

First Grade
Smith says Malone promised a public apology on air if he appeared on an upcoming episode of The Footy Show.

After agreeing to go on the show, Smith claims he was told minutes before going to air that Malone wouldn't appear on air and that it was left to program host Paul Vautin to apologise on Nine's behalf.

'We know it’s been a difficult relationship between Channel Nine yourself over the last twelve months,' Vautin said at the start of the program.

'With regards to those issues, on behalf of the Nine network we would like to apologise to you and your family,' he said.

In his response on the show, Smith said it was 'no secret' he was upset with the 60 Minutes segment and the response from Channel Nine in the weeks that followed.

'The most disappointing thing is that I thought it took away from a beautiful story about Alex and his fiancée, Teigan,' Smith said.

'That was something that we should have been focusing on and celebrating but that’s in the past now.'

Smith remains bitter with Nine about the apology to this day.

'I walked away that night p***ed off about how it had all gone down,' he wrote.

'After everything that happened, they couldn't even get the apology right.'

Channel Nine reporter Danny Weidler has since revealed he hadn't spoken to Smith in six years after he tried to question the Storm captain about the incident.

'I don't know him well enough (to comment on his character), he doesn't talk to me. He hasn't talked to me since I started to question his behaviour in the aftermath of the Alex McKinnon incident,' Weidler told radio station Triple M on Tuesday.

'I reached out to him to try get him to explain it to me, haven't heard from him. I've tried numerous times.'

Cameron Smith addressed the Alex McKinnon incident in his new book released this week

Cameron Smith (pictured with wife Barb) remains bitter with Channel Nine to this day

McKinnon, whose wife Teigan is expecting twins next year, recently revealed he has forgiven Smith.

'I have forgiven everything that happened straight after the tackle, his response – I have forgiven him. It's hard to hold on to hate. It really is. It's wasted energy. It's blinding,' McKinnon told the Sydney Morning Herald in October.

'At its worst, it can consume you and I'll admit it did for a while there. There is no positive to being like that and, for that reason, I have moved past it and I hold no hard feelings at all.'

'The hard thing was for my family, my dad, to let it go. But I told them it didn't do any of us any good at all to keep the hate. I talked with them about how it does not help anyone. And the family has been able to put it all to one side.'

35795016-8959631-image-a-19_1605656556763.jpg

Alex McKinnon (pictured with wife Teigan) has forgiven Cameron Smith over his actions

Cameron Smith's ultimate 'dirty act': Footy legend is accused of sinking to new lows to drum up publicity for his new book as he cancels interviews and skips appearances to avoid mounting outrage over him 'rewriting history'

NRL superstar Cameron Smith has been accused of sinking to an all-time low to get publicity following the release of his much-anticipated autobiography.

The Melbourne Storm great was all smiles for the cameras at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Monday to promote the launch of his new book The Storm Within.

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment over why Smith chose to address 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with popular Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson but shed little light on his fractured friendship with former close mate Cooper Cronk.

At least two media interviews Smith was scheduled to do on Tuesday were cancelled at the 11th hour amid mounting controversy over the book.

NRL superstar Cameron Smith has ignited more controversy following the release of his new autobiography this week. He's pictured with wife Barb at the 2018 Dally M awards

'I don't have a personal thing with Cameron Smith, (but) some of his behaviour hasn't impressed me.'

Cameron Smith was all smiles for the media when he released his book on Monday. It was a different story on Tuesday amid claims at least two interviews with media were cancelled

Foxsports.com.au claims it received an email from his publisher at 11.20pm on Monday night advising Smith had cancelled an interview scheduled for the next day.

The media outlet wasn't the only one to be snubbed with SEN radio host Andrew Voss revealing he was given the same treatment at short notice.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted book publisher Allen & Unwin for further comment.

Yvonne Sampson (pictured with her husband, reporter Chris O'Keefe) was forced to respond to false rumours of an affair after Cameron Smith dredged up the 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' claims while promoting his book

Former Queensland Maroons captain Cameron Smith (right) stands with his family ahead of Game 3 of the 2018 State of Origin series between the NSW Blues and the Queensland Maroons at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...annel-9-60-Minutes-segment-Alex-McKinnon.html
Cameron Smith opens up on his bitter feud with Channel 9 after 60 Minutes segment on Alex McKinnon

Reflector

Juniors
'We asked why I hadn't been asked for comment before the program had aired, and they said they didn't feel like I needed to be in it,' Smith wrote.

'That made no sense. Why wouldn't they give me a chance to share my opinion?

'Barb and I got it all off our chests, and I think they were quite taken aback by the emotion from both of us.

I didn't get teary, but I did choke up talking about it because of the effect it had on my family.'

Boo-hoo-hoo.

The nasty NRL had the gall to make Cam look like a sack of shit (not that there aren't a tonne of other incidents that look the same). Let's all feel sorry for Cam and his family and not the guy who is never going to walk again...

blue bags

First Grade
Cameron Smith's ultimate 'dirty act': Footy legend is accused of sinking to new lows to drum up publicity for his new book as he cancels interviews and skips appearances to avoid mounting outrage over him 'rewriting history'
  • Cameron Smith has faced backlash following launch of autobiography this week
  • Accused of not shedding light on his long-running feud with Cooper Cronk
  • Reporter claimed NRL superstar's autobiography contains misinformation
By KYLIE STEVENS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ancels-interviews-avoid-mounting-outrage.html
NRL superstar Cameron Smith has been accused of sinking to an all-time low to get publicity following the release of his much-anticipated autobiography.

The Melbourne Storm great was all smiles for the cameras at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on Monday to promote the launch of his new book The Storm Within.

The book has sparked widespread anger and bewilderment over why Smith chose to address 'cruel' and 'completely untrue' rumours about having an affair with popular Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson but shed little light on his fractured friendship with former close mate Cooper Cronk.

At least two media interviews Smith was scheduled to do on Tuesday were cancelled at the 11th hour amid mounting controversy over the book.

Cameron Smith was all smiles for the media when he released his book on Monday. It was a different story on Tuesday amid claims at least two interviews with media were cancelled

35759532-8956427-image-a-52_1605590445734.jpg

• 35641790-8945353-image-a-29_1605277383737.jpg

35664962-8956427-Glamorous_sports_presenter_Yvonne_Sampson_pictured_has_revealed_-a-62_1605591189102.jpg

Cameron Smith has revealed his wife Barb and Fox Sports host Yvonne Sampson (pictured) exchanged texts in the aftermath of the rumours - checking on each other's welfare.

As damaging, false rumours ran wild that she had an affair with Cameron Smith, TV star Yvonne Sampson asked him to publicly shoot them down with her. He refused. This is why he's the footy legend Aussies love to hate, writes MIKE COLMAN

If Cameron Smith's new book 'The Storm Within' teaches us just one thing, it is this: being great does not make you popular.

I've only ever had one conversation with Cameron Smith in my life and I found him to be a very pleasant fellow with a down-to-earth manner and an engaging smile. He struck me as someone who likes to keep his cards close to his chest, but that's no crime.

So why does the most successful rugby league player of his generation – some would say the most successful of all time – manage to rub so many people up the wrong way?

Is it because he is so good?

35753632-8955685-image-a-17_1605569717580.jpg

Melbourne Storm Captain Cameron Smith is kissed by his wife Barbara Smith as he leaves the field after becoming the first player to reach 400 matches in July 2019

35754438-8955685-image-a-29_1605571284852.jpg

Smith's friendship with Cooper Cronk (right) came to an end when he moved to Sydney to marry TV presenter Tara Rushton (left) and signed with the Roosters for the 2018 season

Hardly. If that were the case, his long-time team-mates Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater wouldn't be as overwhelmingly liked as they are.

Is it because he plays for the Melbourne Storm, a team that has made winning an art form?

See above, under Billy Slater.

Is it because he led Queensland through the Maroon's most successful period of Origin dominance over the Blues thus alienating the entire state of NSW?

Well, surely that would at least make him a folk-hero in Queensland, which he's not.

Then what?

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-26_23-47-43.gif
    upload_2020-11-26_23-47-43.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1

blue bags

First Grade
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ancels-interviews-avoid-mounting-outrage.html

Read the book. Or, if you can't bring yourself to put any of your hard-earned into his wallet, then at least read the excerpts that have been filling papers and online news sites to the point of saturation over the past few days.

It's all there in black and white.

As he is on the field, laying down the law to referees and opposition players alike, Smith cannot be wrong. Like his passing and kicking, he's perfect. In anecdote after anecdote, reflection after reflection, the World According to Cameron is very much coloured purple and gold – just like his Storm jersey.

Now you've got to give Smith and his co-author, journalist Andrew Webster, credit for not trying to win any new friends by making him appear a sympathetic character.

35754044-8955685-image-a-19_1605570520080.jpg

In his book, Smith addressed 'completely untrue' rumours he was having an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson (left)

Smith is chaired off the field following a win in the first NRL preliminary final between Melbourne Storm and the Canberra Raiders at Suncorp Stadium on October 16

Smith tells it just like he sees it. Which is at times so self-serving as to be almost laughable.

In the prologue he says, 'This is my chance to set the record straight'. Some might say not so much straight as slanted very much to Smith's side of the story.

Pictured: Cameron Smith's new book 'The Storm Within'

He also tells us he was never the fastest or strongest of players. Maybe not, but if this book is anything to go by, he has a world class sidestep and dummy.

Reading through the 373 pages there were many times when my mouth dropped open and I couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at his take on history.

The best example was when he was describing his bitterness after the Storm was stripped of two premierships and forced to play the 2010 season for no points as punishment for the club's systemic cheating of the NRL's salary cap to the tune of millions of dollars.

And who did Smith hold responsible for his anger? Brian Waldron the Storm CEO who orchestrated the rort?

What about Matt Hanson, the Storm's former financial officer at whose home a secret dossier containing incriminating evidence of secret payments to players was found?

No, neither of them. It was the NRL CEO David Gallop who according to Smith, should have waited until the league finished its investigation before announcing its sanctions.

Forget the fact that the investigation proved conclusively that the Storm did in fact keep two sets of books and that the amount of the deception was actually $3.78 million – more than double the initial estimate – and that 13 players, including Smith, received illegal payments.

While there was never any evidence that the players knew they were being paid 'under the table', in Smith's view someone from outside the hallowed corridors of Storm HQ had to be the villain, and Gallop was the most convenient scapegoat.

Todd Greenberg gifted Smith's wife (left) with a $10,000 diamond ring after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game mileston

Smith said that when Greenberg (pictured) offered the ring, he told him that it was a 'great idea'

As an interesting sidebar, Smith says that in contrast to the way Gallop handled the Storm's blatant rorting, he was so impressed with the softer approach the then-NRL CEO Todd Greenberg took when Parramatta was found guilty of a much smaller $570,000 breach six years later that he called him to offer his congratulations.

Greenberg, of course, features heavily in another controversial chapter in Smith's life story, when he orchestrated the gift of a $10,000 diamond ring to Smith's wife Barb after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game milestone.

Smith says that when Greenberg offered the ring, he told him – rather naively it would seem - that it was a 'great idea'.

Maybe not so much. Apparently Smith was totally unprepared for the reaction from the haters. It never dawned on him to suggest that a nice bunch of flowers would be a safer alternative. That as one of the highest paid players in the game, if he wanted his wife to have a diamond ring to thank her for all her support over the years, he'd buy it himself.

The inevitable eruption was swift and large. Greenberg was accused of wasting money that could have been spent on junior development. The Smiths were portrayed as greedy.

Barb said she'd give the ring back. Smith contemplated quitting the game. In the end they did neither, although Todd Greenberg's papers were stamped. He was out the door less than six months later.

Smith and wife Barbara arrive at the Dally M Awards at The Star in Sydney in September 2017

Then there is his take on unfounded rumours on social media that he was having an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson.

Again he understandably takes the opportunity to give his side of the story, but also reveals that Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on a program she hosted. He refused.

blue bags

First Grade

'I wasn't comfortable doing that,' he says, leaving her to face the innuendo alone.

As for claims in the book that he remains in the dark over the reasons behind a bitter fallout between him and former team-mate Cooper Cronk, I guess we'll have to wait for Cronk's book to get the other side of that story - but in the meantime you can take it as read that the instigator was Smith.

According to reliable inside reports, Smith cut Cronk dead from the moment it was announced he would be joining the Storm's arch-rivals. He even refused to pass him the ball when they were playing together for Australia a few months later.

The final insult came when, after receiving no reply to his wedding invitation, Cronk texted Smith to ask whether he would be attending.

'No', came the curt reply.

35754242-8955685-Smith_poses_with_his_book_at_Suncorp_Stadium_in_Brisbane_on_Nove-a-10_1605574917208.jpg

+15

Smith poses with his book at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on November 16

The public first became aware of the animosity between the two when Cronk avoided a post-match hug from Smith after the first Storm-Roosters game in which they opposed each other.

Later that season they met in the grand final and the vision of Cronk kneeling over Smith with his hands around his throat went viral.

Smith's version of it all?

'People started asking me what was going on between me and Cooper', he says in the book.

'I wish I could've given them the answer. I had no idea.'

Oh please.

There is one major talking point in Smith's life story where I am totally on his side, and that is the aftermath of the horrific incident involving Newcastle Knights player Alex McKinnon in 2014.

McKinnon, who became a paraplegic after being hit in a tackle by three Storm players, was featured on 60 Minutes just over a year later. For the first time he was shown footage which purported to show Smith arguing with referee Gerard Sutton over a penalty as McKinnon lay injured nearby.

35754442-8955685-Smith_is_seen_during_the_2010_season_Melbourne_Storm_completed_t-a-11_1605574917235.jpg

+15

Smith is seen during the 2010 season. Melbourne Storm completed the season without points after salary cap breaches were revealed

'Is he still debating?' a shocked McKinnon asked reporter Liz Hayes. 'Is he f@#%ing serious?'

Smith – who wasn't invited to appear on the program - says the footage was edited to make it look like the discussion with Sutton occurred as McKinnon was still being treated on the field, when in fact it happened after he had been stretchered off.

Regardless, surely it is logical and fair to accept that Smith could not possibly have known the seriousness of McKinnon's injury at the time, and as Storm captain he had every right to question the referee about the penalty.

But whether those many Smith haters out there will look at anything logically or fairly in this book is the $10,000 diamond ring question.

He might have taken his 'chance to set the record straight' but I have my doubts it will make anyone change their opinion about him.

Sometimes that's the price of greatness.

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO CAM
2010 MELBOURNE STORM SEASON AND SALARY CAP DRAMA

The club was penalised for salary cap breaches after it was revealed they kept two sets of books: one complying with the NRL salary cap and another disclosing the real payments. Melbourne were stripped of their titles of 2007 and 2009 premierships and did not receive points during the 2010 season.

Smith did not blame those accountable for the rort but claims the NRL CEO at the time, David Gallop, should have waited until the league finished its investigation before announcing its sanctions.

TODD GREENBERG GIFTS SMITH'S WIFE WITH A $10,000 DIAMOND RING

Smith's wife Barb was given the ring after the Storm captain became the first player to pass the 400-game milestone.

Smith said that when Greenberg offered the ring, he told him that it was a 'great idea'.

But the present was widely criticised and Smith contemplated walking away from the league amid the backlash.

'Things were getting out of control and it forced me, at the end of the 2019 season, to ask myself some serious questions. Should I walk away from the game? Or keep playing and put my family through this unwanted scrutiny,' he wrote.

FALSE RUMOURS OF AN AFFAIR WITH TV HOST

False rumours of an affair with Fox TV host Yvonne Sampson began to circulate on social media ahead of the 2018 Grand Final.

In his book, Smith said the rumours were 'cruel' and 'completely untrue'.

Smith also revealed Sampson asked him to deny the rumours alongside her on air when he appeared on a program she hosted. He refused as he did not feel 'comfortable'.

FRIENDSHIP WITH FORMER TEAMMATE COOPER CRONK

According to reliable inside reports, Smith cut Cronk dead from the moment it was announced he would be joining the Storm's arch-rivals.

Cronk invited Smith to his wedding and after receiving no reply to his wedding invitation, he sent a text to ask whether his former teammate would be in attendance.

Generalzod

Immortal

Friends like Smith who needs enemies...

blue bags

First Grade
f**king hell what's with copying and pasting the same shit multiple times over and over
don't blame me, don't get upset, chill out
different stories, days, reporters :)
How a one-word text message ended Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk’s friendship after fateful decision by the halfback left Smith so furious he wouldn’t pass him the ball on the field
  • Wedding no-show believed to sparked Cameron Smith-Cooper Cronk feud
  • Ongoing rift continues three years after Cronk left Melbourne Storm in late 2017
  • Former teammates claim he was angered by Smith's no-show at his wedding
  • Believed they kept apart during World Cup and Smith ignored Cronk pass calls
  • Smith reportedly said only 'no' when asked if he was coming to Cronk's wedding
By CHARLIE COË FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Cameron-Smith-Cooper-Cronks-friendship.html
A one-word text message between former NRL teammates Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk reportedly marked the demise of their friendship.

The pair's ongoing rift since Cronk left the Melbourne Storm at the end of the 2017 season to join the Sydney Roosters has been under the spotlight following the launch of Smith's autobiography this week.

Speculation has grown the feud began when Smith turned down an invitation for him and his wife Barb to attend Cronk's wedding in the months after the controversial career move.

The relationship between Smith and Cronk is believed to have soured in the build-up to the Roosters star's wedding to wife Tara Rushton.

35712386-8956373-Relations_soured_between_Cameron_Smith_and_Cooper_Cronk_pictured-m-32_1605587459258.jpg

Relations soured between Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk (pictured right) after Cronk left the Melbourne Storm at the end of the 2017 season to be closer to wife Tara Rushton (left)

35712688-8951605-image-a-47_1605484687608.jpg

+14

Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith (pictured after the Storm's grand final win in 2017) were once close mates but relations became strained after Cronk left the clu
The ex-teammates are believed to have kept their distance during the 2017 World Cup - with Smith even ignoring Cronk's calls to be given the ball during games.

When Cronk contacted Smith because he hadn't received a reply to the wedding RSVP, the Storm legend is believed to have turned the invitation down with a very curt reply.

Smith simply sent the word 'no' in a text message and the two have not spoken privately since, veteran rugby league journalist Paul Kent wrote in a column for The Daily Telegraph.

Their former teammates won't shed any further light on the matter besides claiming Cronk was angered by the 'abrupt no-show'.

The rift was sparked by the 'abrupt' no show of Cameron Smith and his wife Barb (pictured together) at Cronk's wedding in Sydney - but tensions reportedly started before that

Cronk and his manager George Mimis are refusing to comment on the ongoing rift, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Speculation had been rife Smith would address the ongoing saga in his much-anticipated autobiography which will be released this week.

Both camps have previously repeatedly denied any bad blood between them following Cronk's move to Sydney at the end of the 2017 season.

Smith's fractured relationship with Cronk and Storm teammate Billy Slater became public in 2018 when it was reported his wife Barb had a falling out with Slater's wife, Nicole.

Their fractured friendship was seemingly laid bare for everyone to see when Cronk took on his old club in Roosters colours for the first time in mid 2018.

35710932-8951605-image-a-38_1605483931027.jpg

Tensions escalated in the 2018 NRL Grand Final when Cronk famously placed Smith in a chokehold (pictured) after taking exception to a crunching tackle

He warmly embraced all of his former teammates but offered only a brief handshake and minimal eye contact with Smith following the match.

Tensions spilled over on the field a few months later in the grand final when Cronk famously placed Smith in a chokehold after taking exception to a crunching tackle during the Roosters' victory.

The former best mates then avoided each other after the match with reports Cronk abruptly changed direction to avoid coming face to face with his former captain.

Adding fuel to the fire, the pair both snubbed each other in post-match interviews and speeches.

Cronk snubbed Smith again when he thanked his former club and singled out several of his former teammates who played their last NRL game.

There are also reports he hugged every Storm player after the game, except Smith.

Smith also made no mention of Cronk in his runner-up speech, despite singling out several Roosters players.

35710942-8951605-image-a-37_1605483805989.jpg

Cronk (pictured with wife Tara Rushton) maintains there is no bad blood 'from my end of the bargain' in his relationship with Smith

Cronk later claimed there may be been bad blood but not from his end, claiming his relationship with Smith was 'fine'.

'There may have been (bad blood). But not from my end of the bargain. That kick pressure could've been anyone, I've got a broken shoulder and I knew in that game they were coming for me... If it had been Cameron Munster, I'd have done exactly the same thing,' Cronk told Fox Footy's NRL 360 in 2019.

'There's conversations that happened. Our relationship is fine. I can only speak from my point of view... If we ever caught up there would be no hostilities between us.

Cameron Smith and Cooper Smith share a tense embrace after the 2019 preliminary final

Around the same time, Smith appeared to have extended an olive branch when he publicly congratulated Cronk after the halfback announced he would retire at the end of the 2019 season.

But tensions arose again after Cronk's management claimed he didn't receive an invite to a dinner celebrating Smith's 400th first grade game.

The pair shook hands and shared a tense embrace after the Roosters defeated Melbourne to end Smith's 2019 season.

The awkward exchange didn't go unnoticed by sports commentators at the time.

Cooper Cronk retired at the end of the 2019 season. He's pictured with wife Tara after winning the 2019 grand final in his last NRL game

Cameron Smith drops huge hint his NRL career is over and reveals the surprising reason why he could hang up his boots - after he and glamorous TV presenter finally addressed rumours they had an affair

Footy legend Cameron Smith has dropped his biggest hint over his retirement after months of speculation around whether he will pull on the Melbourne Storm jersey in 2021.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-27_17-45-48.gif
    upload_2020-11-27_17-45-48.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1

blue bags

First Grade
Smith has revealed the surprising reason he may call an end to his playing career on a premiership winning 2020 season as part of the launch of his autobiography; The Storm Within.

In his book, the 37-year-old claimed he would be willing to step aside for Melbourne's new batch of talent.

He said he told coach Craig Bellamy mid-way through the year there would be 'no way' he would sign on for 2021 if that resulted in young guns Harry Grant or Brandon Smith losing their spot.

Footy legend Cameron Smith has dropped his biggest hint he will retire after months of speculation (pictured with wife Barbara)

35671744-8956373-Yvonne_Sampson_pictured_has_spoken_out_about_rumours_she_had_an_-a-23_1605583746954.jpg

Yvonne Sampson (pictured) has spoken out about rumours she had an affair with Cameron Smith, saying there was no truth behind them

All three players are vying for the number 9 hooker jersey, making it very hard for the club to justify keeping all three next season if the older Smith wants to play on.

The club has previously said it could work around keeping the three on board but Smith is not convinced, he revealed.

'They had recruited two great young hookers of the future. What none of us probably imagined was that the old bloke ahead of them would still be playing when he was 37,' Smith writes in his book.

He also explains why he hasn't yet made a definite call on his retirement - saying he 'felt better than ever' and looked forward to training and hitting the gym with the younger guys.

He said he made a decision that he would concentrate on the task at hand - playing great footy in 2020 - and cross that bridge when it arrived.

35671730-8951605-Brandon_Smith_pictured_right_is_one_of_Melbourne_s_young_stars_w-a-8_1605492218272.jpg

Brandon Smith (pictured right) is one of Melbourne's young stars who the club signed for the number 9 hooker position

In another revealing insight, Smith said the anger he still holds over the Storm's treatment in the salary cap scandal is directed at former NRL chief David Gallop.

Melbourne were stripped of two premiership titles and numerous minor premierships after officials discovered the club had been fraudulently paying star players to the tune of $3.78million.

Smith said Gallop, in imposing the sanctions, which also included a massive $1.6million fine, acted too quickly and gave the false impression the players had some knowledge of the cooked financial books.

Harry Grant (pictured right) is one of two Melbourne Storm stars vying for the number 9 jersey when Cameron Smith finally retires

In the years since the 2010 scandal, Conulla, Parramatta and Manly have had salary cap breaches which Smith said were all handled much more fairly.

Smith's autobiography also addresses whispers circulating through league circles and social media since 2017 of an affair with Fox League's Yvonne Sampson.

Smith spoke out on Friday to quash baseless rumours.

Ms Sampson herself also spoke out about the rumours, saying there was no truth behind them.

'My husband and I were made aware of these absurd and baseless rumours when they surfaced three years ago. They are utterly false. This malicious gossip has no bearing on my life, career as a journalist or love of rugby league,' the 40-year-old told the Courier Mail.

The former Storm and Australian skipper revealed when he was first informed of the gossip being spread on social media, he was so surprised he burst out laughing.

But Smith, who has been married to his wife Barbara for almost ten years, then quickly realised the gravity of situation.

'It was just cruel … rumours that were completely untrue. When I told Barb she was shattered. It floored her,' Smith told QWeekend.

Cameron Smith is pictured with his wife Barbara as he leaves the field after becoming the first player to reach 400 matches

While he felt he could handle the gossip, his concern was for both his wife and Ms Sampson - a former Wide World of Sports presenter.

He said on the first occasion he did an interview with Ms Sampson after the rumours surfaced he felt deeply concerned for her and her fiance, who were getting ready to tie-the-knot later that year.

'Honestly, if I was going to have an affair - which I never would - why would I do it with someone with a profile as big as hers? And in my own sport?'

Smith revealed his wife and Ms Sampson exchanged text messages in the aftermath of the rumours - checking on each other's welfare.

The idea of publicly quashing the gossip on a scheduled appearance by Smith on Fox Sport's League Life in 2018 was also brought up but in the end Smith decided it would be better not to fan the flames.

Also revealed in the book is Smith's anger that he and his wife were portrayed as 'greedy' for accepting a diamond ring worth $15,000 from the NRL for his 400th game.

Smith (pictured centre) celebrates with his Melbourne Storm teammates after winning the 2020 Grand Final in October

The gift received criticism online from footy fans who questioned why Smith's wife had received the expensive gift and the backlash almost pushed him to retire then and there.

'Why did you buy Cameron Smith's wife a ring? Is it because he runs the game?' one person wrote to the NRL's Twitter account after the 2019 presentation.

'Instead of buying Cameron Smith's wife a $15,000 diamond ring, (Todd) Greenberg could send 10 TVs over to Papua New Guinea and footballs for the PNG kids to kick around!' wrote another.

The Storm star was quick to hit back saying his wife had no knowledge of the gift until it was presented to her and she should not be targeted.

'Criticism is part of the game. I signed up to be an NRL player. To bring in personal attacks and family, that's not on. I'm not just saying that about myself. That's any athlete's family. I just think that's off-limits,' Smith said.

Todd Greenberg, the then chief executive of the NRL, defended the present to Mrs Smith, saying the wives of rugby stars play a vital supporting role for players.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Cameron-Smith-Cooper-Cronks-friendship.html

How a one-word text message ended NRL stars Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk's friendship

blue bags

First Grade
'Plain wrong': Gallop responds to Smith's salary cap criticism

Former NRL CEO David Gallop has hit out at Storm champion Cameron Smith for criticising the league's administration during Melbourne's infamous salary cap breach.

The Storm had the book thrown at them in 2010 for cheating the salary cap by an estimated $1.7 million over five years, with Gallop, who was the NRL CEO at the time, hitting the club with a substantial punishment.

The NRL fined the club $1.1 million and stripped Melbourne of their 2007 and 2009 premierships, plus three minor premierships.

In his new autobiography which was released on Monday, The Storm Within, Smith revealed where his anger really lies with the situation, which surprisingly wasn't directed at former Storm CEO Brian Waldron or anyone at the club.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fcb3d1c3a-585b-49b1-b576-11c2b017eb36

Cameron Smith (Getty)
The three-time premiership winner conceded he was left most frustrated with Gallop and the NRL for putting the Storm's players in a vulnerable position before the investigation had concluded.

"When people ask me who I'm most angry with for what happened they generally think I'll say (CEO) Brian Waldron but it's not," Smith wrote in his autobiography.

"My anger is mainly directed at the NRL for the penalties they handed down and the way the whole matter was handled. And for that I blame David Gallop.

"By punishing us before undertaking a thorough investigation Gallop put the players in a position they should never have been in. It allowed the media to give the public the idea we had knowledge of what happened. We were hung out to dry by the boss of the game."
Responding to Smith's criticism, Gallop said Smith was "just plain wrong" and urged the Queensland legend to point the finger at the Storm and not the NRL's administration.

"I was surprised to read Cameron's opinion," Gallop told The Daily Telegraph.

"Cameron should direct his criticism to the culprits, not the NRL administration which acted fairly and appropriately on the facts in front of it."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ff78fad35-a999-4702-b951-a4443d236b23

Former NRL and FFA chief executive David Gallop. (Nine)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/former...riticism/a65fd959-8263-4e2d-9370-592db791aecd

Perth Red

Post Whore
Working a treat, already sold twice as many as JT’s book. Cam got dis lol.
Looking forward to getting my copy under the xmas tree.

Latest posts