What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Gareth67

First Grade
Lodge is still available. They say he has turned his life around and is keen to show good form and leadership from now on. If that is truly the case, Lodge is just the prop we need to round off our front row stocks.

Our run-on props Vaughan and Lodge, would be our best solution for setting a platform early, while on the bench, we have a number of players who can fill those bench positions; it would just depend on their form/fitness shown during the off-season.

Mate Lodge is a clone of Josh McGuire ( not that I have heard anything bad about the man . . . ) but as far as I am concerned he would be the last player that I would want wearing the Big Red V .

Last edited:
We still need to sign a top grade prop and a top grade right edge forward for season 2021; replacement players for Graham and Frizell.

Anyone know of suitable replacemnts for these two from rugby union ranks?

I know that he was capable of great things, but my enduring memory of Frizell is seeing him fended off by the powerhouse that is AJ Brimson at the back end of last season. It shouldn't be too hard to replace THAT.

Someone elsewhere on the forum proposed moving Ravalawa inro the back row. I'd get behind that. Put him in the second row with Ford and Tariq at lock and Fuimaono on the bench. Rava would be giving plenty of opposition centres nightmares.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
IMO and from what I've read, we are moving away from the large hit up only forward and fcusing on the more agile forward who can ball play ie look to off-load.

It will be interesting to see the change (hopefully so) in a few of our current forward stocks in Vaughan, Lawrie and Kerr. I still think Blacker is a season away from 1st grade. PF is an interesting and exciting prospect.

At this stage, I think our props will be:
Vaughan and Lawrie to start with PF and Kerr on the bench.
This is notwithstanding signing someone else as well.

Also, at this stage, I believe Bird will play right edge, that combo of Bird, Lomax and Ramsey is very exciting.
Our left side still needs some configuring, but Tariq on left edge, maybe young Feagai wirh either Rava or JP on the wing.

Speaking of Rava, has he even been sighted? Plenty of media around JP for example.

redv13

Bench
Lodge is still available. They say he has turned his life around and is keen to show good form and leadership from now on. If that is truly the case, Lodge is just the prop we need to round off our front row stocks.

Our run-on props Vaughan and Lodge, would be our best solution for setting a platform early, while on the bench, we have a number of players who can fill those bench positions; it would just depend on their form/fitness shown during the off-season.
f**k Lodge, absolute grub of a human. No thanks even for nothing. Our club is way better than that

blue bags

First Grade
Jason Saab a no-show at Dragons training as he deals with personal issues
Michael Chammas
November 19
  • The Panthers are making plans to play Burton at centre next year pending Brent Naden's rehabilitation from alcohol-related issues.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...als-with-personal-issues-20201119-p56g4i.html
Panthers star Brent Naden undergoes 'voluntary rehabilitation' at Sydney facility

Brent Naden
Panthers star Brent Naden is under the care of medical professionals after voluntarily admitting himself into a rehabilitation clinic.

Naden was admitted to South Pacific Private in the week after Penrith's grand final loss to Melbourne, having approached the Panthers welfare team to discuss his issues with alcohol, according to The Daily Telegraph.

"Following the 2020 NRL Grand Final, Brent Naden approached the club and disclosed a number of personal issues he wished to address," the club said in a statement released this afternoon.

"As a result, Brent is currently undertaking a voluntary rehabilitation program in a private Sydney facility.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F78d8e1b7-14ce-46cf-9fdc-2bb87bc05407

Brent Naden (Getty)
"Brent, his family, his management and the club kindly ask the media to respect his privacy and will be making no further comment at this time."

The Daily Telegraph reports Naden admitted to Panthers welfare staff that he had been affected by the racial abuse he had experienced in Gosford late in the season.

Penrith chief executive Brian Fletcher confirmed that the NRL had been notified of Naden's admission.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brent-naden-penrith-panthers-rehab/0f588abd-bd8e-42d8-aa0c-40238d8a0ad7

Inisai Toga

Juniors
No Chance in the world that team trots Round 1..this will be the most likely based on realistic scenarios ..Hook will give Hunt/Norman first dibs on the halves posi's

1. Dufty
2. Fegai
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsey

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Kerr/Blacker
9. Mciness
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Ford
13. JDB - exonerated

14. Merrin
15. Ellis
16. Blacker/Kerr
17. Faamausili
I’d be guessing your pretty close there Mickeylane. Might have thought the new Roosters prop might have sneaked in over Ellis or Faamausili
IMO and from what I've read, we are moving away from the large hit up only forward and fcusing on the more agile forward who can ball play ie look to off-load.

It will be interesting to see the change (hopefully so) in a few of our current forward stocks in Vaughan, Lawrie and Kerr. I still think Blacker is a season away from 1st grade. PF is an interesting and exciting prospect.

Also, at this stage, I believe Bird will play right edge, that combo of Bird, Lomax and Ramsey is very exciting.
Our left side still needs some configuring, but Tariq on left edge, maybe young Feagai wirh either Rava or JP on the wing.

Speaking of Rava, has he even been sighted? Plenty of media around JP for example.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Agree, a good way to look at it and the good thing is there is plenty of improvement that we could expect in 2021 due to where a lot of players are currently sitting in their career.

Building the combos you outline there promote some cause for optimism. The importance of Kerr having a breakout year or lifting his effectiveness by about 30% can’t be underestimated, as he’s got the potential to fit that profile you outline.
The rule changes also may also suit Vaughan. If Griffin can stiffen our defence by the same amount we’d be ‘in’ most games. Looking forward to another forward or two though.

Last edited:

I would prefer the wooden spoon rather than see Lodge in a Dragons jumper.
He can stay where he is thanks, good for for the Donkeys.

Dragon David

First Grade
I would prefer the wooden spoon rather than see Lodge in a Dragons jumper.
He can stay where he is thanks, good for for the Donkeys.
Looks like he will join up with the Warriors under Nathan Brown. Lodge's father-in-law is the Warriors recruitment guy - Peter O'Sullivan - so there is some connection there. Hopefully Lodge doesn't lose his rag over the ditch.

matPORTS

Juniors
Good luck is right, a lot of teams have strengthened already and I hope they’re not depending on JDB as that’s not worked well in the past, and that’s pretty close to the side that will run out. Maybe Rav edges out JP. I think we are in for a tough slog but I hope the coaches are planning for the future, so my changes to that side is I’d like to see them give Feagai more game time alongside Lomax in the centres. Initially I’d play Bird as a utility off the bench, he had missed a lot of football and he’d be good value as a utility. Fingers crossed Ramsey starts and can continue make some exciting moments, Sullivan gets a shot and does the same, hopefully the other young backs step up they’ll atleast have a platform with 2nd tier comp running. Call me negative nelly but whenever I hear be patient there’ll be more signings I don’t get my hopes up

Agreed. A lot of teams have strengthened. For me the honeymoon period of having moved on the old dart of McGreogor/Young/Co and installing Griffin/Co has just about worn off. Have yet to see anything totally new being bought to the table, and because we can't see any footy at the moment the only thing new to excite us would be some strengthening of our roster.

When Bennett landed here 12 years ago he bought Smith, Costigan and Weyman, and the results then spoke for themselves. We are desperately short of at least two players in a similar mould to these guys. Even being able to sign one (looking at Josh McGuire as an example) would be a good result.

If JDB is not playing (and agree that depending on him making a return has not worked well for us throughout 2019/2020) - then we will be hamstrung with no choice but to start Cam at 13 and Hunt at 9 - and go with our relatively inexperienced halves combination (all based on what is currently on our books).

I agree that Bird starting at centre is a bit premature - so the suggestion of using him as a bench utility to start the year is a good one (Ellis or Blacker would probably miss out on a bench spot in that case). Feagai would then start at centre. JP or Rav - take your pick as IMO both will offer pretty much the same.

I'm not trying to be negative either, but we've been on a slow downward spiral for nine seasons. I know it's not going to turn around overnight, but it's disappointing to see what our roster has become. Hook might well end up coaching us to a wooden spoon before he may be able to turn us around.

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree that we definitely need one or two experienced big boppers , preferably those who can control their aggression but also not shy away from the rough stuff .

Besides the three amigos - Griffin , Elliott and Gentle the Dragons also managed to obtain the services of one of the games most astute kickers in general play , none other than Jamie Soward in a consultancy capacity . What he will be able to pass on to Hunt , Sullivan ( and perhaps Norman ) will be invaluable.

Still as a few of the fellows on the forum have mentioned on a number of occasions now we will need to be patient a bit longer . Apparently there are wheels in motion , we merely
need to wait for them to sync .

Belta

Juniors
Agreed. A lot of teams have strengthened. For me the honeymoon period of having moved on the old dart of McGreogor/Young/Co and installing Griffin/Co has just about worn off. Have yet to see anything totally new being bought to the table, and because we can't see any footy at the moment the only thing new to excite us would be some strengthening of our roster.

When Bennett landed here 12 years ago he bought Smith, Costigan and Weyman, and the results then spoke for themselves. We are desperately short of at least two players in a similar mould to these guys. Even being able to sign one (looking at Josh McGuire as an example) would be a good result.

If JDB is not playing (and agree that depending on him making a return has not worked well for us throughout 2019/2020) - then we will be hamstrung with no choice but to start Cam at 13 and Hunt at 9 - and go with our relatively inexperienced halves combination (all based on what is currently on our books).

I agree that Bird starting at centre is a bit premature - so the suggestion of using him as a bench utility to start the year is a good one (Ellis or Blacker would probably miss out on a bench spot in that case). Feagai would then start at centre. JP or Rav - take your pick as IMO both will offer pretty much the same.

I'm not trying to be negative either, but we've been on a slow downward spiral for nine seasons. I know it's not going to turn around overnight, but it's disappointing to see what our roster has become. Hook might well end up coaching us to a wooden spoon before he may be able to turn us around.

Thats it, we’ve gotta quite a climb from where we currently sit, And I’m not wanting a complete overhaul but at very minimum we need to replace like for like, we need to sign an origin type player to replace Friz, sign a player with what we were paying JDB and even if we didn’t replace Graham atleast we’ve have two quality forwards to bolster what we have. Every year fans say be patient and I’ll try to do so but I fear we won’t get that quality added and if that’s the case we are on the back foot. The reality is that forwards still need to lay a platform. Imo we are light on in the forwards.

Or if we are happy to rebuild with juniors then so be it than we all need to be realistic and understand the challenge, imo some of the opponents are streets ahead on paper.

possm

Coach
To me there seems to be no urgency and this worries me. For example why install Young as interim coach in the first place. Why not make the decision on our new coach and then have him take over right away. At least he would have gotten a head start on the makeup of our roster for 2021.

If the whole plan is to not spend the cap on new recruits and instead front end some contracts to make things easier in 2022 well, that is a plan and I can understand that. But this would mean that Griffin and his staff would have to work miricules with those out of form players and the new ones coming through. That is:
1. If he got Dufty to become a reliable defender, and
2. If he got Hunt and Norman to run direct and work some majic passes to players who know that its on, and
3. He can get Kerr, Lawrie, Ellis and Blacker to run hard and offload when the time is right, defend vigorously smothering the ball and smashing the opposition in defence, and
4. If he can get Sims and Vaughan to return to their best form, and
5. If he can get Lomax and Ramsey, Feagai and Ravalawa combining in defence and attack in such a way that the opposition is dominated.

Maybe we will be able to smile.

George Sancti

Juniors
To me there seems to be no urgency and this worries me. For example why install Young as interim coach in the first place. Why not make the decision on our new coach and then have him take over right away. At least he would have gotten a head start on the makeup of our roster for 2021.

If the whole plan is to not spend the cap on new recruits and instead front end some contracts to make things easier in 2022 well, that is a plan and I can understand that. But this would mean that Griffin and his staff would have to work miricules with those out of form players and the new ones coming through. That is:
1. If he got Dufty to become a reliable defender, and
2. If he got Hunt and Norman to run direct and work some majic passes to players who know that its on, and
3. He can get Kerr, Lawrie, Ellis and Blacker to run hard and offload when the time is right, defend vigorously smothering the ball and smashing the opposition in defence, and
4. If he can get Sims and Vaughan to return to their best form, and
5. If he can get Lomax and Ramsey, Feagai and Ravalawa combining in defence and attack in such a way that the opposition is dominated.

Maybe we will be able to smile.

A good set of performance targets for the new coaching regime Possm.

I think if all five targets are met we will definitely be playing finals football in 2021. However, if just items 3, 4 and 5 are met (which I consider is definitely achievable) I feel we can still make the eight.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
I don't think we can expect too much more than where we are at present.

The stigma of having McGregor here for so long will take time for the air to clear and the desire for players to want to join us again.

Throw in on top of that, there really isn't too much meat out there, so slim pickings with fries on the side is about all we can expect Hook to dine on at present.

I expect a respectable performance and ladder standing next season and nothing more.
If Hook & Co can extract a better offering from the existing squad of players, l will be satisfied.

The stench of McGregor will take time to subside.

possm

Coach
I'd say the stench is gone; Griffin and his team have given the place a good spray of Glen20. Our main problem is that we got started too late. By the time Griffin and his team were rady to actually start, most jof the deals were done and since then nothing really attractive has come up.

The only player that I was excited about was Crichton from the Roosters but it looks like he is sitting pat. The other alternative is for the coaching team to do magic with what we currently have within the Club but that will take time and possibly b a ling shot anyway.

I would love to see us at least recruit a prop and an edge forward because the biggest problem we are facing is in the engine room. I can't wait to see what recruitment has instore, as they have passed on a few options; or have those players just not wanted to be a part of the mighty Dragons. I will be very interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

Latest posts