What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Big Marn

Juniors
Apart from all the obvious issues this signing would bring, we would have our main recruiters son and son in law on the roster.

Meth

Staff member
Sydney Morning Herald again ... apparently "The Warriors remain in the mix for the services of Brisbane forward Matt Lodge".

Really not sure about that one - can see positives and negatives.

yeah, me too

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As long as we're not overpaying I'm fine with Lodge.

Still think we're investing too much in our forwards when our backs and spine are middle of the pack at absolute best.

Rich102

Staff member
Last sentence worries me:

"The New Zealand Warriors are reportedly set to offer controversial Brisbane Broncos prop Matt Lodge a multi-million dollar contract.

Channel Nine believe Lodge, who is the son-in-law of Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, has become expendable to the Broncos - a club with an excess of big forwards in their squad.

The Warriors, however, are in desperate need of big men with experience, especially after the retirement of veteran prop Adam Blair in September.

Axed Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold backed Lodge to be the club's next captain in 2018 while NSW coach Brad Fittler revealed Lodge was on his radar for Origin selection earlier this year.

However, Lodge's prowess with the ball would also come paired with a controversial history off the pitch.

In 2015, Lodge was arrested in New York over a drunken home invasion. In the video of the incident, Lodge was seen punching a hole in the wall and shouting abuse. Lodge's contract with the Tigers was terminated on October 18. Lodge spent two weeks in jail after being released to serve community service.

Lodge was ordered to pay more than $A1.6 million in damages in the case, after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour reckless assault charge.

He avoided a 12-month jail term in the US with the plea deal to compensate the victims.

Lodge's signing would also resurrect the controversy surrounding players managed by Isaac Moses who was accused by rugby league legend Ricky Stuart earlier in 2020 of ruining the Warriors club.

The Warriors have missed out on a stack of players they have reportedly targeted previously - including Lodge in 2019. This raises the idea that the club is ripe for being used as a bargaining chip in negotiations, with players' alleged interest and big offers helping improve the deal for those who have no intention of actually shifting to Auckland.

The 25-year-old is on nearly $NZ1 million a season at the Broncos and will likely get a pay rise at the Warriors if the deal is finalised."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/ru...s-prop-matt-lodge/5QF3XIC24GOD2QFJSDGWJFLNMI/

SmashEmBro

Juniors
From memory we were interested in him a little while ago and were trying to offer him about 700k, so I'd be really happy with 500.

I don't think he's put a foot wrong since returning to the NRL, so I'd be happy to have him

Also, the news reports are saying things like 'close to signing', 'closing in' and 'reportedly set to sign', which is quite surprising, I thought we were just in the hunt, it's lookong fairly likely

Last edited:

SmashEmBro

Juniors
AFB
Egan
Lodge
Tohu
Katoa
BMM

Sironen
LAM
Evans
Jazz

Looking like one of the best packs in the comp imo, there might be some truth to the 'Big Warrior forward pack' commentators go on about every year

Hov

Juniors
AFB
Egan
Lodge
Tohu
Katoa
BMM

Sironen
LAM
Evans
Jazz

Looking like one of the best packs in the comp imo, there might be some truth to the 'Big Warrior forward pack' commentators go on about every year
Not with BMM at 13 and no Tohu in the middle... and Lodge starting is a worry considering what we have in the roster

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Maybe for some context we should summarise the gains and losses in terms of replacements for 2021. Based on the below, besides the halves & Patty Herbert, I think we've improved our squad. Focus for 2022 must be strengthening the spine and outside backs.

Blake Green - Sean o'sullivan
Gerard Beale - Euan Aitken
Taane Milne - Junior Ratuva
Nathaniel Roache - Paul Turner (top 30)
Lachlan Burr - Kane Evans
Leivaha Pulu -?
King Vuniyayawa - Tom Ale (top 30)
Adam Blair - Addin Founa Blake
Patrick Herbert - Marcelo Montoya
Isaiah Papalii - Bayley Sironen
Adam Keighran - Jayden Nikorima
Agnatius Paasi - Ben Murdoch
Selestino Ravutamada - Rocco Berry (top 30)

SmashEmBro

Juniors
It's weird... How could all of those other sources be so far off the mark. We may not sign him, but to say that he's not even on our radar.... Seems strange.

Brown came out yesterday and said that we've not spoken or enquired about Jarome Hughes, surely he would have said something about Lodge if it there was zero truth there?

I'm happy either way, id like us to sign him but if we don't it's not the end of the world

JJ

Immortal
TBH I don't see why Lodge would be on anyone who wasn't desperate' s radar

JJ

Immortal
Maybe for some context we should summarise the gains and losses in terms of replacements for 2021. Based on the below, besides the halves & Patty Herbert, I think we've improved our squad. Focus for 2022 must be strengthening the spine and outside backs.

Blake Green - Sean o'sullivan
Gerard Beale - Euan Aitken
Taane Milne - Junior Ratuva
Nathaniel Roache - Paul Turner (top 30)
Lachlan Burr - Kane Evans
Leivaha Pulu -?
King Vuniyayawa - Tom Ale (top 30)
Adam Blair - Addin Founa Blake
Patrick Herbert - Marcelo Montoya
Isaiah Papalii - Bayley Sironen
Adam Keighran - Jayden Nikorima
Agnatius Paasi - Ben Murdoch
Selestino Ravutamada - Rocco Berry (top 30)
Interesting way of looking at it - in those like for like comparisons, IMO big upgrade from to AFB (on field, anyway), Aitken is obviously an upgrade on Beale, Evans on Burr, and on form Sironen upgrade from Papalii.

The rest either break even or downgrades IMO, including the vaunted BMM - happy for him to prove otherwise of course - and he should TBH