What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

BLM01

First Grade
To me there seems to be no urgency and this worries me. For example why install Young as interim coach in the first place. Why not make the decision on our new coach and then have him take over right away. At least he would have gotten a head start on the makeup of our roster for 2021.

If the whole plan is to not spend the cap on new recruits and instead front end some contracts to make things easier in 2022 well, that is a plan and I can understand that. But this would mean that Griffin and his staff would have to work miricules with those out of form players and the new ones coming through. That is:
1. If he got Dufty to become a reliable defender, and
2. If he got Hunt and Norman to run direct and work some majic passes to players who know that its on, and
3. He can get Kerr, Lawrie, Ellis and Blacker to run hard and offload when the time is right, defend vigorously smothering the ball and smashing the opposition in defence, and
4. If he can get Sims and Vaughan to return to their best form, and
5. If he can get Lomax and Ramsey, Feagai and Ravalawa combining in defence and attack in such a way that the opposition is dominated.

Maybe we will be able to smile.
Your 1st paragraph does not wash.
Do you remember club bubbles and a maximum of 50 people allowed, someone within that bubble had to do it.
And the club still had to advertise, interview and hire.
Perhaps if they had of sacked Mary when they should’ve after Round 4 things might have been different.

Griffin was working behind the scenes from afar whilst still completing his commitment to his prior employer so you were wrong there

In regards to your 5 points of performance targets you should’ve just basically said improve the performance of the top 17.
that is what he’s aiming to do but the role he has taken on.. let’s face it was a huge task for anybody.

And look at your mate Millwood he’s gone from the worlds longest job title to manager recruiting, reporting to the new coach
you should be happy with that because if he doesn’t perform in that role his next one will be as someone stated earlier “gardening leave”

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
If Feagai doesn't have his break out year, we can make a play for the available Kotoni Staggs for the start of 2022. Talk about an upgrade on Aitken.

possm

Coach
If Feagai doesn't have his break out year, we can make a play for the available Kotoni Staggs for the start of 2022. Talk about an upgrade on Aitken.
We need to build our own winning culture hopefully with as many young juniors in the side as possible. So if young Feagai does not scrub up, and I believe he will be very successful, then there now is a long list of young guns coming through that will take his place.

I'd like to see the Dragons concentrate of strengthening our weakest positions. We will soon discover them once the 2021 competition is underway. My currents thought is that our main problems will be in the forwards with a possibility that fullback will be another. With Soward on board, We have plenty of young depth in our prop rotation and so, it will all depend on our success in recruiting a top line prop and edge forward or on the coaching staffs success with what we have. Fullback would seem to be a more easier problem to solve as there are some good fullbacks in our junior ranks (Ramsey, Schiller and Slone).

I believe our halves will fire in 2021 and the makeup of our halves will largely depend on fitness, form and attuited displayed during the off-season.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I would prefer Feagai kill it tbh, I really liked what I saw from him, big fast and and powerful. I loved some of the hits he put on in his short cameo and he can pass unlike Staggs or Aitken. I know he has barely played and anything can happen but I haven't seen tackling technique like that since Matt Cooper. We could again have a Cooper/Gasnier esque type pairing for the first time in years in Feagai/Lomax. I cant wait to see what another off season does for the pair of them. We also have Wiliame who will benefit from the coaching of Hook putting pressure on. We need a replacement for Friz and at least one more prop. In my opinion we will use Bird as a smaller ball playing edge forward with footwork ala Batemen but off the bench at first due to fitness. He will be supplemented by Fuimaono or Ford, this is granted we aren't able to sign a replacement. Neither Bird or Ford are likely capable of 80 mins at this stage and Ford can be groomed to eventually take over from Sims when he finishes up.

possm

Coach
I would prefer Feagai kill it tbh, I really liked what I saw from him, big fast and and powerful. I loved some of the hits he put on in his short cameo and he can pass unlike Staggs or Aitken. I know he has barely played and anything can happen but I haven't seen tackling technique like that since Matt Cooper. We could again have a Cooper/Gasnier esque type pairing for the first time in years in Feagai/Lomax. I cant wait to see what another off season does for the pair of them. We also have Wiliame who will benefit from the coaching of Hook putting pressure on. We need a replacement for Friz and at least one more prop. In my opinion we will use Bird as a smaller ball playing edge forward with footwork ala Batemen but off the bench at first due to fitness. He will be supplemented by Fuimaono or Ford, this is granted we aren't able to sign a replacement. Neither Bird or Ford are likely capable of 80 mins at this stage and Ford can be groomed to eventually take over from Sims when he finishes up.
I'm concerned that we keep missing a beat in the song of succession within our forward pack. It happens, but surely those in charge should be making the call when it comes to replacing a player who for whatever reason, cannot be replaced from within.

The Club should have been aware of this well before Frizell made his decision to move on and even then, he gave the Club plenty of notice. Sadly nothing was done and now we are in a pickle. Bird is not the logical replacement for Frizell but could be the logical replacement at left centre or five-eighth.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I think the days of a lock playing the middle as a defensive position will be numbered in the coming season. With the introduction of the 6 again rule, I think locks will fall back into the a ball playing role and could rejoin the spine (1, 6,7, 9 & 13).

Also, I think the game plans of many teams will evolve to moving the opposition forwards around more, so I expect to see more plays that are 2 or more passes wide of the ruck. In this I think Bird could play lock and fitness will be a key factor to success.

de Belin, may need to play in the second row if this style or play is adopted.

Thoughts?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Its getting to that boring stage of the year where I'm going to predict my round 1 side based on availability of course and obviously could change radically should we sign a decent prop, a McGuire or an Asiata.

1.Dufty (Deserves first crack)
2.Ravalawa (Great relationship with Lomax, more upside than JP)
3.Lomax (First picked)
4. Feagai (Looked the goods, is the future. Keen to see his brother who may replace Rava)
5.Ramsey (Earned his spot well and truly, change of sides won't bother him he's a footballer)
6. Sullivan (Hopefully puts on some beef, probably too young but worth a punt)
7. Hunt (He's with us for years, may as well get him working with Soward and get his kicking up to scratch, Clune is next cab off the rank)
8.Vauguan (Hopefully change is as good as a holiday with Hook)
9. McInnes (C) (Will lead our line in D, has a good running game which is hopefully utilised a bit more)
10. Lawrie (Getting better all the time)
11. Sims (Same with Vaughan)
12. Ford (Fast and dynamic, hopefully has a breakout year)
13. JDB (We all know this is dependant on him being cleared. If not we will really struggle again, we dont have close to his calibre in the squad)
14.Bird (Utility for injuries and filling in at right back row when Ford needs a spell, both can act as the utility depending on who is fresher)
15. Faamausuli (First change at prop, keen to see him in action)
16. Kerr (Another year and another rep selection closer to having his breakout year.)
17. Merrin (Hoping he can punch out one last good season, controversial but has good footwork and an offload and can replace JDB at Lock.)
18.Ellis (If Merrin doesn't cut it, Ellis takes 17)
19.Blacker (Likely needs one more year of CC, hopefully ready to replace Merrin in 2022 and at stages in 21 in the case of injury)
20. Fuimaono (Another option at back row should Ford fail to fire. Needs a really good off season.)
21. Wiliame (Probably first cab off the rank at centre if there is an injury)

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I think the days of a lock playing the middle as a defensive position will be numbered in the coming season. With the introduction of the 6 again rule, I think locks will fall back into the a ball playing role and could rejoin the spine (1, 6,7, 9 & 13).

Also, I think the game plans of many teams will evolve to moving the opposition forwards around more, so I expect to see more plays that are 2 or more passes wide of the ruck. In this I think Bird could play lock and fitness will be a key factor to success.

Thoughts?
Share your line of thought there RedVR. If that does turn out to be case (and I hope it does) that could align more favourably with our roster ; Norman and Hunt can play more of the cuff style and not be so depended on them to construct... I think the game’s better when you have ball playing locks anyway...

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Thoughts?
DeBelin will be fine, he has a great passing game and has even played 7 a couple of times (Obviously that worked the first time but not so much the second) He is a good runner, good passer and exceptionally good tackler. Once he gets match fit again he will be amongst the best 13s in the comp and is neck and neck with Jake T imo. Lets hope he gets off.

possm

Coach
Its getting to that boring stage of the year where I'm going to predict my round 1 side based on availability of course and obviously could change radically should we sign a decent prop, a McGuire or an Asiata.

3.Lomax (First picked)
4. Feagai (Looked the goods, is the future. Keen to see his brother who may replace Rava)
5.Ramsey (Earned his spot well and truly, change of sides won't bother him he's a footballer)
7. Hunt (He's with us for years, may as well get him working with Soward and get his kicking up to scratch, Clune is next cab off the rank)
9. McInnes (C) (Will lead our line in D, has a good running game which is hopefully utilised a bit more)
13. JDB (We all know this is dependant on him being cleared. If not we will really struggle again, we dont have close to his calibre in the squad)
14.Bird (Utility for injuries and filling in at right back row when Ford needs a spell, both can act as the utility depending on who is fresher)
16. Kerr (Another year and another rep selection closer to having his breakout year.)
17. Merrin (Hoping he can punch out one last good season, controversial but has good footwork and an offload and can replace JDB at Lock.)
19.Blacker (Likely needs one more year of CC, hopefully ready to replace Merrin in 2022 and at stages in 21 in the case of injury)
20. Fuimaono (Another option at back row should Ford fail to fire. Needs a really good off season.)
5. Both Ramsey and Ravalawa are right wingers.
6. If Bird is fit he should play five-eighth. If not fit, he should not play at all.
8. Faamausuli to partner Vaughan as run on prop
10. Vaughan plays left prop
14. Fuimaono bench backrow
15. Lawrie bench prop/lock
16. Kerr bench prop
17. Ellis bench prop

18. Brittain
19. Blacker

3.Lomax (First picked)

That is also my side.
Would look to rotate every 3 - 4 games a forward here and there to keep them fresh.
That side has line speed in defence with McInnes and JDB leading the pace.
Good sideways movement on the edges in Sims and Ford in defence and two centres who are defensively very good.
There is speed with Ramsay, Dufty and Sullivan and a nice mix of youth and experience.
I also believe Merrin still has plenty to offer and should be used to his strengths now.
Both bench front towers need to come on and play with energy and speed which is there strengths.
Also think Hunt can play well on the back of the energy from the young kids.
Yes a Josh McGuire type of experienced idiot is what is missing.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
5. Both Ramsey and Ravalawa are right wingers.
6. If Bird is fit he should play five-eighth. If not fit, he should not play at all.
8. Faamausuli to partner Vaughan as run on prop
10. Vaughan plays left prop
14. Fuimaono bench backrow
15. Lawrie bench prop/lock
16. Kerr bench prop
17. Ellis bench prop

18. Brittain
19. Blacker
Both Ramsey and Ravalawa have played left wing without issue. Ramsey only played right wing because Rava was the one dropped not JP in the 9s he carved it up on the left. Got that match winning "try" vs Penrith on the left if you remember, as did Ravalawa last time he played on the left. Ramsey is actually a fullback and had been playing fullback all year prior to being picked so he can probably play anywhere. Most players can adapt to either wing, centre is a bit different but he will be fine. Especially if he trains there all off season. I dont give a shit what side Vaughan plays, he's a starting prop. Fuimaono has a crap year. My backup hooker would be Hunt, with Clune replacing him in the 7. I think that would be most peoples choice.

Both Ramsey and Ravalawa have played left wing without issue. Ramsey only played right wing because Rava was the one dropped not JP in the 9s he carved it up on the left. Got that match winning "try" vs Penrith on the left if you remember, as did Ravalawa last time he played on the left. Ramsey is actually a fullback and had been playing fullback all year prior to being picked so he can probably play anywhere. Most players can adapt to either wing, centre is a bit different but he will be fine. Especially if he trains there all off season. I dont give a shit what side Vaughan plays, he's a starting prop. Fuimaono has a crap year. My backup hooker would be Hunt, with Clune replacing him in the 7. I think that would be most peoples choice.

We agree again :thumbsup:

BB deserves to be the backup hooker surely.
CC

I do like BB as a player but probably can’t justify a bench spot.
Hunt probably to dummy half if covering during a game.
Would all depend how Hunt is playing and how both Clune and Brittain are going as to who u would pick for a starting team.
We also have everyone’s favourite on Corey Norman as well. Plenty of spine options for the Saints.
It’s probably that one missing gun forward we seem to be missing, either prop or back row, two if no JDB.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I do like BB as a player but probably can’t justify a bench spot.
Hunt probably to dummy half if covering during a game.
Would all depend how Hunt is playing and how both Clune and Brittain are going as to who u would pick for a starting team.
We also have everyone’s favourite on Corey Norman as well. Plenty of spine options for the Saints.
It’s probably that one missing gun forward we seem to be missing, either prop or back row, two if no JDB.
Happy that we have spine options, just not always the option we settle on. I’d keep Hunt at half now and he can always go to dummy half in a game and mix it up a bit like Grant and Friend did in Origin 111, despite both being on the paddock. I just think transferring McInnes at starting lock is not that effective so I’d keep him at hooker.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Happy that we have spine options, just not always the option we settle on. I’d keep Hunt at half now and he can always go to dummy half in a game and mix it up a bit like Grant and Friend did in Origin 111, despite both being on the paddock. I just think transferring McInnes at starting lock is not that effective so I’d keep him at hooker.
I would definitely keep Hunt at 7 for now, at least for the first 2 months or so. If he is absolutely killing it at 7 and McInnes was to go down, BB would come in for sure so as to keep a good thing going but if Hunt is not setting the world on fire at 7 and Clune/Norman/Sullivan are in reserves or FG then it would be silly not add an origin level hooker at 9 and go with a different halves combo.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No asiata, no joe ofenhengue,
Not many forwards left.
There are 23 players without a club, in the paper.Mostly backs which is not what we need .
Not according to the transfers that have gone down of late, Saab included. Surely someone has some personal problems that an extra 100k a season would fix.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I would definitely keep Hunt at 7 for now, at least for the first 2 months or so. If he is absolutely killing it at 7 and McInnes was to go down, BB would come in for sure so as to keep a good thing going but if Hunt is not setting the world on fire at 7 and Clune/Norman/Sullivan are in reserves or FG then it would be silly not add an origin level hooker at 9 and go with a different halves combo.
Agree it would. Ironically FCD, I actually prefer Hunt over McInnes at Hooker, he brings more to the table in my opinion. But, I just think it works better for Saints if McInnes stays at Hooker. Hunt’s criticisms often appear aimed at the $1 million worth of their investment.....and he’s only delivered x amount. Possibly correct to a point, but it’s a history lesson now that also should take in factors like poor coaching and forward pack etc etc..

But still there is no way I’d start him in Reserve Grade in a side that we have currently; throwing the baby out with the bath water in my opinion.

Last edited: