What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I believe we will see the last of Norman after the 2021 season is finished. He will get his 800k salary no latter where he plays even if its the coal league and we still wear in on our cap
Add to this, we've tried to sell him off with not 1 bite.

As for Hunt, like Norman, he will get paid no matter what competition he plays in, and thats for another 3 years. No one, I repeat, no one is goung to pick up 3 years at 900k for Hunt. And it would be absolutely negligent managememt for us to 'chip in' any amount that would be detrimental to our salary cap.

Lets face facts we have them both next year, then, there will be one less.
Hunt we have to just get firing, he has taken up his player option I believe so this will see him out to retirement no need putting him in the Illawarra league he will just happily plug along there. Norman it might work as he probably cant retire yet and needs to show his wares to get a new contract. I would say unless by some miracle he all of a sudden becomes Laurie Dailey overnight this will be his last year in the NRL and without a doubt his last for us no matter what he does short of guiding us to the GF.

The Badger

Juniors
Well I might be Robinson Crusoe, but to me Hunt is a 1st grader and in our current squad well within our Top 5 players.
Why play him in reggies?
We actually need him ATM
Hunt being in the top 5 players in our club is not a great achievement .Not sure where I would rank him.Lomax,Ramsay,Feagai ,Sullivan,Mcguinness I would keep and those young ones still have to prove themselves.The rest would struggle to make 1st grade anywhere else.He is certainly not worth the money he is on which has impacted on our ability to buy other talent.In fact if he played to his value in money other players may well have performed much better.

BLM01

First Grade
Hunt being in the top 5 players in our club is not a great achievement .Not sure where I would rank him.Lomax,Ramsay,Feagai ,Sullivan,Mcguinness I would keep and those young ones still have to prove themselves.The rest would struggle to make 1st grade anywhere else.He is certainly not worth the money he is on which has impacted on our ability to buy other talent.In fact if he played to his value in money other players may well have performed much better.
So then you agree!. His salary and worth is another debate.
My point was why play him in reggies when he is one of our best?
Which you have just confirmed he is with that list
He probably has another 3 yrs with us so instead throwing big $$$ away for him to go to play at another club
lets find a away to utilise him and get the best out of him for now..he just might wind the clock back to the mid 10's..

redv13

Bench
He probably has another 3 yrs with us so instead throwing big $$$ away for him to go to play at another club
lets find a away to utilise him and get the best out of him for now..he just might wind the clock back to the mid 10's..
All this Hunt bashing needs to stop. Piss off Norman, and with a new coaching staff and ideas hopefully a few of the boys that were getting stale under the old regime will find a new lease of life.

BLM01

First Grade
All this Hunt bashing needs to stop. Piss off Norman, and with a new coaching staff and ideas hopefully a few of the boys that were getting stale under the old regime will find a new lease of life.
So I assume you agree with me too.
I actually like Hunt as a player.
Did Mary / Young get the best out of him.? No..but we all likely know why that was

possm

Coach
If his manager strikes a 3 year deal with another club - Brisbane - then the usual termination arrangement is that we would pay half of his first year's salary (500k) leaving us 500k spare to invest in another forward. Similar to what went on with Bird.

The Badger

Juniors
My main point is dont put him in first grade just because he is getting a million dollars.I have purchased a number of things in my life not worth the money I paid for them.As soon as I got rid of them new opportunities presented themselves.Hunt has not produced in his time with us.Lets step him aside and give someone else a go.Wayne Bennett did this with him just 2 weeks ago and Harry Grant turns up.

BLM01

First Grade
If his manager strikes a 3 year deal with another club - Brisbane - then the usual termination arrangement is that we would pay half of his first year's salary (500k) leaving us 500k spare to invest in another forward. Similar to what went on with Bird.
Similar to Bird..he only had 1 year left!
Fed dinkum..I am glad that you are not on the board
There is $500K a year of our cap that we cant spend across the roster of 30 for the next 3 years. = $1.5mill you might as well donate to charity.
Why would Hunt and his management negotiate a deal
1. Where they both lose money in year 2022 and 2023
2. Negotiate with a club who are not interested to sign him
3. ATM why look to leave?.when he is playing 1st grade.
You can forget that silly notion that he will be dropped to reserve grade to make him leave under Hook.

BLM01

First Grade
My main point is dont put him in first grade just because he is getting a million dollars.I have purchased a number of things in my life not worth the money I paid for them.As soon as I got rid of them new opportunities presented themselves.Hunt has not produced in his time with us.Lets step him aside and give someone else a go.Wayne Bennett did this with him just 2 weeks ago and Harry Grant turns up.
But he is a 1st grade player and one of our best ATM and has 3 years left on a contract.
Why would you not put him in 1st grade?..dont judge him on suffering Maryitis
He is not the first good player to be dropped at origin level.

Gareth67

First Grade
Totally agree. I’ve said all along that Hunt isn’t the problem. He was off last year yes but he was let down by plenty of others.

He misses that pack of hard running forwards that makes plenty of meters - throughout the entire game , not only for 15 or 20 minutes , then clocks off for the rest of the day .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The two main considerations in a contract are the salary and the term. The manager would want to extend the term to ensure he continues to be paid something. As it is it is likely that no club would pick him up if he is relegated to the 'coal competition'.

So moving him on to another club for say a 3 year deal at 400k would be much better than staying at a club that does not want you and is on the lookout to find a reason to terminate your contract.
This makes no commercial sense.

Compared to his current contract you’re expecting he’d happily go play an extra two years for effectively $200k per season.

Even Millward would know that doesn’t stack up.

George Sancti

Juniors
I agree with the above comments that Hunt has not been our problem. Whilst we may have paid top dollar, we were in need of a first grade, quality halfback who had experience at the highest level.

Norman on the other hand was a terrible blunder. The Dragons were panicked by the imminent departure of Gareth Widdop and Parramatta bettered our administration in the negotiations stakes.

From what I have seen to date, the Dragons new CEO and Football Department are far more astute that the former group and I cannot see them making a similar mistake.

possm

Coach
This makes no commercial sense.

Compared to his current contract you’re expecting he’d happily go play an extra two years for effectively $200k per season.

Even Millward would know that doesn’t stack up.
The deal he strikes with the new club is up to Hunt and his manager, nothing to do with Saints. We should not have to pay a thing but it seems that on most occasions, the losing club pays half of the salary for the first year.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The deal he strikes with the new club is up to Hunt and his manager, nothing to do with Saints. We should not have to pay a thing but it seems that on most occasions, the losing club pays half of the salary for the first year.
We were both discussing Norman.

Why have you switched to Hunt?