What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing

blue bags

First Grade
Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr.: Fight card, date, PPV price, rules, location for the exhibition match
The two legends are set to square off in an exhibition in California over Thanksgiving weekend

By Brent Brookhouse

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:27 pm ET3 min read

It's time for a little bit of nostalgia. After weeks and weeks of posting hype videos of training, Mike Tyson is heading back inside a boxing ring for an exhibition match on PPV. The former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, now 54, will take on former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 28 from Staples Center in Los Angeles. Jones Jr. himself turned 51 in January.

Tyson, of course, was one of the most feared heavyweights in history, dominating the division over the late 1980s, becoming the youngest heavyweight champion in history with brutal punching power that carried him to a 37-0 record before he fell victim to one of the greatest sports upsets in history when he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas in Tokyo in July 1990. Tyson remained a star despite years spent in prison after being convicted of rape. Tyson would go on to infamous lows such as twice biting Evander Holyfield in their June 1997 rematch and quitting against Kevin McBride during his final pro bout. He has, in recent years, rehabilitated his image as a kinder, gentler version of himself, appearing in films, hosting a podcast and becoming an outspoken advocate for marijuana.

Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news.

Jones was named the best boxer of the 1990s by Ring Magazine. At his best, Jones displayed a dazzling combination of speed, power and defense, while being able to showboat in fantastic and improbable ways. Jones won wold championships at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, and eventually heavyweight in a historic accomplishment. After a near-flawless first 50 fights of his career -- his lone loss a controversial disqualification against Montell Griffin that was avenged in less than one round in the rematch -- Jones career slowly began to unravel as his style was too dependent on reflexes that diminished over time.

The fight card will also see the return of YouTube star Jake Paul when he takes on former NBA Slam Dunk champion Nate Robinson. Paul, 23, made his boxing debut in January when he stopped AnEsonGib in one round. Robinson, 36, has never fought in a sanctioned match, but has long been fascinated by the sport. He is working with trainer Francisco "Paco" Reyes for the upcoming fight at the 200-pound limit.

Paid content by Challenger Annuities
Are You Retirement Ready?
Our resources can assist your retirement planning

The card also sees the return of super middleweight and light heavyweight champion Badou Jack when he takes on Black McKernan at light heavyweight. Jack has not fought this year after losing a pair of bouts in 2019 for light heavyweight titles to Jean Pascal and Marcus Browne by decision. He has just one win since 2017, a TKO stoppage of Nathan Cleverly on the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor undercard. McKernan is 13-0 with six TKOs to his name, but none against the level of competition he will face in Jack.

Below is all the information we know about the bout, including the fight card, odds and rules. Be sure to check in on this page often as it will be updated frequently.

Fight card
As of Oct. 23

Main card

• Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. -- WBC Frontline Championship
  • Jake Paul vs. Nate Robinson -- cruiserweights
  • Badou Jack vs. Blake McKernan -- light heavyweights
  • Viddal Riley vs. Rashad Coulter -- cruiserweights
Preliminary card

• Jamaine Ortiz vs. Nahir Albright -- lightweights
  • Irvin Gonzalez Jr. vs. Edward Vasquez -- featherweights
  • Juiseppe Cusumano vs. Nick Jones -- heavyweights
Viewing information
  • Date: Nov. 28 | Start time: 10 p.m. ET (main card)
  • Live stream: TysonOnTriller.com or FITE TV
Fight countdown
hq-daily.jpg

CBS Sports HQ Newsletter
We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.

Canelo Alvarez next fight: Mexican superstar faces Callum Smith in 168-pound unification bout this December
Canelo will make his way to the ring in 2020 after all

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...-in-168-pound-unification-bout-this-december/

blue bags

First Grade
Well, that was entertaining
Great to see two legends back in the ring, not doing themselves a disservice and leaving safe and sound... not sure I'd want to see it again though.

That's all we have time for tonight, though folks.

Thanks for joining me. Now go get some shut eye!

Until next time, it's goodbye from me.

05:32

Roy Jones Jr: 'It's hard. I took some hard punches from Mike. I need to talk to my family, see what they think. Thank you to everybody who sent us out the right way. If everything goes the right way and my family say it's alright, who knows.'

05:31

Tyson: 'Well I'm used to doing it for three minutes. I'm just happy I got this under my belt and I'm going to continue to do more. Absolutely I would do this again. I'm just happy I could go eight rounds. Knockouts mean nothing, you have to be able to go the distance.'

05:29

Tyson: 'I'm happy with a draw. I thought I won but I'm happy because we entertained the fans.'

05:29
And it's a draw....

05:26
We go to the judge's remote scorecards...
This could be anyone's.

05:24

Tyson bulldozes his way forward and lands a partially blocked right hand upstairs.Jones Jr then slips another looping right hand and digs in three quick body shot. Tyson tries to force the pace and pushes Jones into the corner before going to work. Tyson works away before the final bell sounds.

05:20

Jones Jr gets up on his toes and shows off his hand speed but again the shots fall short. Tyson responds with an aggressive charge forward but Jones ties him up again. Tyson steps forward and loads up with a right hand but Jones ducks out the way... just as well. Bit more intent from both men this round but they're still struggling to find the range.

05:15

Tyson comes firing out of the blocks with two quick jabs and then tries to work away at the body. Jones stands his ground and trades with Tyson but both men fail to find the target. Tyson slips to his left and counters with a solid left hook - probably the best punch of the fight so far. Tyson swings wildly as he tries to finish strong. Jones stands his ground and punches with him but little lands.

05:11

Jones is boxing clever and tying Tyson up on the inside. A lot of grappling going on now with both men visibly tired. Tyson digs in two shots into Jones' body. Not much to report on from that round.

05:0

Jones and Tyson exchange jabs before Jones sneaks in three quick left hooks during the clinch. Tyson responds with an overhand right but Jones takes the shot well. Bit more of a sloppy round this one with both men doing a lot of grappling. The two exchange in the centre of the ring after breaking free. Tyson still trying to land big shots but Jones Jr still has life in his legs and is moving well to evade the punches.

05:06

Tyson charges forward and throws a left hook to the body and head. Jones finds a home for a sneaky left jab and bobs out of range. Tyson feints and walks Jones on to a decent right hand. Jones sneaks a left hand on the inside before the referee splits them up. Tyson showing the kind of intent we saw throughout his whole career but Jones doing a good job of stifling a lot of his work. This is a decent watch so far.

05:02

Tyson starts off fast and lands two sharp shots to the body. Jones Jr just trying to establish his jab and stay out of range in this first round. Tyson is definitely sticking true to his word and throwing with menace. Jones, the slicker and quicker boxer, doing well to avoid most of Tyson's early attacks. Round 1 in the books.

05:00

And we are underway!

04:54
No sing and dance from Tyson either...
He walks straight into the ring and takes his top off. This feels like we've been sucked into a timewarp. Very strange seeing these two back in the ring again. Only a few minutes away now from the first bell.

04:53
Always feels like a big night of boxing when Michael Buffer gets on the mike
Here comes the underdog tonight, Roy Jones Jr. Fairly understated walk in by his standards.

1606625605272_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

60x60_quote.png

04:48
David Haye is backing Roy Jones Jr to cause an upset!
'I just can't see Roy Jones Jr losing to a 54-year-old Tyson who has had eight fights in 20 years and only won three of those. I can't see him changing his body to be able to beat someone like Roy Jones who has been training for years and fighting recently, he may have not won all of them but they were good opposition. Anyone who can take Tyson's early onslaught can beat him.'

04:36
Boxing like you've never known it
Just Snoop Dogg with a little live performance before we get going with our main event in LA.

Mike Tyson seeming very calm and honest before his comeback fight
'I don't believe this is happening really but it is happening. I do whatever I want to do, I'm like Alexander the Great. Whatever I'm afraid I do. Absolutely I was afraid of this, why would I want to do this after 15 years? I'm going to protect myself and throw punches with bad intention. I'm fighting for other people's futures in a humanitarian way.'

1606624046481_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

04:15

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...ampaign=1490&ito=1490&traffic_source=Connatix

Smug Panther

First Grade
I enjoyed it and Mike looked good. Mike ripped to the body but barely targeted the head,I honestly think he would have knocked him out if he did.

blue bags

First Grade
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...television-dodged-unification-fight-call.html

tyson Fury has accused Anthony Joshua of dodging a huge unification contest after he was asked about a fight with his British arch-rival following his win over Kubrat Pulev.

Joshua knocked out Pulev in the ninth round at Wembley Arena to set up two potential mega-fights with his fellow British heavyweight champion next year.

In a video on Twitter posted in the immediate aftermath of Joshua's victory, Fury declared: 'Anthony Joshua just s*** himself live on television.

David Weir gives his prediction on the Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury mega fight...

'He got asked did he want the fight, and he went round the bushes and put his a*** on the edge. I want the fight - I want the fight next.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...ampaign=1490&ito=1490&traffic_source=Connatix
c547b031-177c-4211-b5a2-95b931940567.jpg

'I'll knock him out inside three rounds. He's a big bum dosser - can't wait to knock him out.'

The pair are headed for what could be the most lucrative bout in boxing history in 2021 after theGypsy King's trilogy battle against former victim Deontay Wilder, which had been scheduled to take place this month, was abandoned.

36772312-9047471-image-a-28_1607820051656.jpg

Fury knocked out Kubrav Pulev at Wembley Arena to set up a likely showdown with Tyson Fury

31010138-9047471-Anthony_Joshua_and_Tyson_Fury_told_each_other_to_win_their_next_-a-29_1607821151665.jpg

Fury and Joshua told each other to win their next bouts when the pair met in Marbella in July

Both British heavyweights have agreed in principle to fight twice next year, and Joshua's meeting with Pulev was the most obvious non-contractual hurdle that needed to be overcome to ensure they will go ahead.

Bob Arum, of US promotion giants Top Rank, revealed after the fight that he expected negotiations to begin next week.

Referring to the unification fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, which is known as 'The Fight of the Century', Arum tweeted: 'It looks like the stage is set for the biggest heavyweight championship fight since Ali-Frazier in 1971, when Tyson Fury meets Anthony Joshua for the undisputed crown.

'We at Top Rank will start on Monday, working to put that fight together.'

Fury and Joshua have repeatedly attempted to antagonise each other about the fight, most recently when the WBC champion told the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO title holder that he would 'smash his face in' last week.

Joshua had goaded Fury into making the threat by telling him that he could become a 'superstar' by joining him among the ranks of promoter Eddie Hearn's Matchroom stable.

31010224-8544189-image-a-12_1595323077255.jpg

31010218-9047471-Tyson_Fury-a-30_1607821263305.jpg

The British heavyweights hold all four belts and their plan to fight has now edged even closer

Hearn has repeatedly talked up the meeting between the pair, which is most likely to take place in Saudi Arabia.

Speaking at Wembley, Hearn said: 'We are going to be friendly - we are going to make that fight with Tyson Fury.

'That is the the biggest fight in boxing, that is the biggest fight in British boxing history. AJ is the best heavyweight in the world.'

When Joshua bumped into Fury as the undefeated 32-year-old drove through Marbella in July, Sportsmail revealed that they told each other to win their next fights in order to set up a pulsating all-British clash.

upload_2020-12-13_12-17-14.gif

Fury beat Deontay Wilder in February and a trilogy fight with the American remains uncertain

Joshua's promotor, Eddie Hearn, says that the stage is now set for the much-anticipated scrap

Asked who he wanted to fight next after outclassing Pulev, Joshua said: 'You ask the crowd what they want to see.

'Whoever has the belt, I want to compete with them. If that is Tyson Fury, then let them be.'

Fury's father, Peter, predicted: 'If Anthony Joshua lands on anybody, they are going down.

'But those punches that landed on Pulev would not land on Tyson Fury. I thought Joshua was a bit tentative, and he is too upright.

'He does not have the lateral movement. But it would be a pick-em fight [with Fury].'
Tyson Fury claims Anthony Joshua 's*** himself live on television' and dodged unification fight call

Old tiger 79

Juniors
Gal will win with a stoppage if he has the chin. He looks fit as bro
Tim Tszyu for the knock out but it won’t be easy. I’ll be there soon thanks to a mate

Latest posts