What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves 2021

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The Dufty / Sullivan scenario has lost some gloss given the recruitment of Bird and the promotion of a couple of very talented halves to the Development squad. In addition we still have Clune.

My preference now is a Bird 6 and Sullivan 7 combination. A well balanced partnership in experience/new talent and tough defence/eagerness to defend. More than anything, if Bird is fit to go, this would be a dynamic attacking weapon as well.

At the back I predict that over time, Ramsey will replace Dufty at fullback and eventually Schiller will replace Ramsey at fullback with Ramsey moving back to the wing.

Hope you're right Possm. Full-back is now a problem position for a number of clubs (Bulldogs, Tigers, Broncs,) as well as ourselves- imo reflecting how it has evolved as a key position second only to no 7 in the spine in terms of the demands on its occupant.

epDragon62

First Grade
The Dufty / Sullivan scenario has lost some gloss given the recruitment of Bird and the promotion of a couple of very talented halves to the Development squad. In addition we still have Clune.

My preference now is a Bird 6 and Sullivan 7 combination. A well balanced partnership in experience/new talent and tough defence/eagerness to defend. More than anything, if Bird is fit to go, this would be a dynamic attacking weapon as well.

At the back I predict that over time, Ramsey will replace Dufty at fullback and eventually Schiller will replace Ramsey at fullback with Ramsey moving back to the wing.
Not convinced on Schiller replacing Ramsey. With some growth Ramsey seems very dynamic, quick and good under bombs. Schiller is not as fast and seems a more likely centre candidate.

Time will tell...

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I said in another thread I think Griffin will try to salvage the Hunt / Norman experiment, makes sense.
Personally I'd give a Hunt / Sullivan combo a shot sooner rather than later and put Norman at centre where I think he could excel.
It's a shame there aren't any other viable options because I still think Hunt is a Hooker first and foremost.
I can't see norman excelling anywhere i think hunt/clune as sullivan is to young for a full season just yet let clune run the team instead of pushing him out wide and try to get hunt to run the ball again.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I can't see norman excelling anywhere i think hunt/clune as sullivan is to young for a full season just yet let clune run the team instead of pushing him out wide and try to get hunt to run the ball again.
I sort of hope he goes with Hunt because if he doesn’t he’ll play him at hooker and I don’t want a 30 year old Hunt costing us a prime McInnes. Who knows Soward might be able to work on his kicking game a bit. Maybe even teach him to kick a field goal.

Crush

Coach

The Duff is a great fullback, he just doesn't know it yet. McGregor's lack of coaching has left him a basketcase. But he has shown glimpses of brilliance when he is confident.
If the new coaching staff can get him confident catching bombs, improve his positional play and defensive reads then I think Dufty can become a top tier NRL fullback and be what Ben Barba was for the sharks to the Dragons.

You say you trust the new coaching staff, well trust them not to dispose of one of our best talents yet to find a way to make him into the fullback we need.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The Duff is a great fullback, he just doesn't know it yet. McGregor's lack of coaching has left him a basketcase. But he has shown glimpses of brilliance when he is confident.
If the new coaching staff can get him confident catching bombs, improve his positional play and defensive reads then I think Dufty can become a top tier NRL fullback and be what Ben Barba was for the sharks to the Dragons.

You say you trust the new coaching staff, well trust them not to dispose of one of our best talents yet to find a way to make him into the fullback we need.
Hopefully he takes a lot of heart out of the Paps performance in the GF, both players of similar size and speed. In some regards in attack like ball playing Duft may be better. Much worse at taking kicks though. Main difference is probably coaching and the general side around him. Let’s hope Hook can get him to his massive potential as a rare St George junior. Undoubtedly he will be our round 1 fullback.

Belta

Juniors
I just hope the coaches properly assess candidates whether they be fullbacks wingers centres and actually watch CC, as it appears we have a lot of talent coming through. Loyalty is g8 and has benefits in development but at some point the coaches really need to analyse the whole performance of our first graders, eg when I listened to how they were analysing Tedesco in Origin it highlighted how significant his role is, it’s not just the odd flash of brilliance there are many aspects to his game that go unnoticed and it’s why in earlier times I liked the thought of Lomax as fullback as I thought he had that competitiveness, height and toughness to do the extra one percenters that make all the difference, I’m now happy with Lomax at centre but and don’t see any other backs as lock-ins - just my opinion

Como Connection

First Grade

Matt made the comment that he learnt more in six months from Flanno that he had in seven years under McGoose!
CC

possm

Coach
I sort of hope he goes with Hunt because if he doesn’t he’ll play him at hooker and I don’t want a 30 year old Hunt costing us a prime McInnes. Who knows Soward might be able to work on his kicking game a bit. Maybe even teach him to kick a field goal.
Millward and Mary delivered us the Hunt/Norman nightmare and a few other bad signings along the way. I'm sure Griffin will do his best to play with a bad hand but I for one love to see these two players moved on before the start of the 2021 season. Even if we had to pay half of their salary for season 2021, it would still leave us with about and extra 1m to bolster our forward strength for the 2021 season and beyond.

We would still have Bird, Clune, Sullivan and a couple of young guns coming through who would likely to a better job than these two clowns.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Millward and Mary delivered us the Hunt/Norman nightmare and a few other bad signings along the way. I'm sure Griffin will do his best to play with a bad hand but I for one love to see these two players moved on before the start of the 2021 season. Even if we had to pay half of their salary for season 2021, it would still leave us with about and extra 1m to bolster our forward strength for the 2021 season and beyond.

We would still have Bird, Clune, Sullivan and a couple of young guns coming through who would likely to a better job than these two clowns.
You are not alone for sure. Without a doubt that 1.8 million could be better spent. We could run with say a Clune/Bird combo or Sullivan/Bird or whatever and spend that on forwards. Problem is they are contracted and going nowhere.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors

I remember reading somewhere Hunt has taken up his player option for 2023 so he’s with us for the foreseeable future by the looks of things

getsmarty

Immortal
hunt-b-200222104sm.jpg

STATS

Stat Attack: Hunt tops NRL for long kicks finding space
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 28 Nov 2020, 06:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Long kicks finding space dropped by more than one for each team per game in 2020 with pressure placed on playmakers and backline positioning better than ever before.

Incoming coach Anthony Griffin's dilemma with where to play Dragons star Ben Hunt in 2021 will come down to balance but either way the maligned playmaker still remains one of the best at finding open turf in the opposition's territory.

Hunt finished the 2020 Telstra Premiership season a clear leader with the boot, turning the defensive line around and finding space on a competition-high 36 occasions.

His switch to hooker under Paul McGregor in July was met with widespread reaction - both positive and negative - as the Dragons searched to dig themselves out of a hole midway through the season.

With Hunt in the halves they went 0-7 but his move to the bench or starting hooker yielded a 50% win rate.

stat-attack-long-kicks-finding-space_20201126.jpg

Most of Hunt's best efforts with the boot came after taking a couple of steps out of dummy half before finding space downfield.

The Dragons finished the year on top in this statistical area with 64 at an average of 3.2 per game and Hunt remained in the dummy-half role for all but three occasions to finish the year.

Canberra's new halves pairing of Jack Wighton (22) and George Williams (14) combined for 36 of the side's 51 total, the second-best club in the Telstra Premiership, with injured hooker Josh Hodgson also having eight before rupturing his ACL.

Wighton was the competition's best in 2019 with Hunt in the top three alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and Michael Morgan.

The boot of Cherry-Evans - who ranked second in 2020 behind Hunt with 28 in this area - guided the Sea Eagles to third spot in the team pecking order despite a lacklustre season.

Surprisingly, and perhaps in another sign Trent Robinson was not warming to the Luke Keary-Kyle Flanagan combination as well as early-season form might've indicated, the Roosters finished last in this area with a paltry nine.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/30/stat-attack-hunt-leads-nrl-for-long-kicks-finding-space/

denis preston

First Grade
I remember reading somewhere Hunt has taken up his player option for 2023 so he’s with us for the foreseeable future by the looks of things

Yes, he is not going anywhere and who could blame him.I'm sure one of Hook's KPI's is to make the Hunt contract worth it and to make him our premier half back . At least Norman will be gone after next season but if Hunt plays like last year then his contract will be the equivalent of Buddy Franklyn's last 4 years of a 9 year contract at the Swans, a millstone around our salary cap's neck.

The Badger

Juniors
I just hope the coaches properly assess candidates whether they be fullbacks wingers centres and actually watch CC, as it appears we have a lot of talent coming through. Loyalty is g8 and has benefits in development but at some point the coaches really need to analyse the whole performance of our first graders, eg when I listened to how they were analysing Tedesco in Origin it highlighted how significant his role is, it’s not just the odd flash of brilliance there are many aspects to his game that go unnoticed and it’s why in earlier times I liked the thought of Lomax as fullback as I thought he had that competitiveness, height and toughness to do the extra one percenters that make all the difference, I’m now happy with Lomax at centre but and don’t see any other backs as lock-ins - just my opinion
I believe Lomax is our best fullback.Great under high ball,big and strong enough,can run holes,creative,inspirational ,can tackle and is tough. I could see him becoming captain from that position. Still a good option at centre but needs the service inside him which doesnt exist unless maybe Bird and Sullivan are inside him.At fullback he can pick his time.He has X factor which is best utilised at fullback.

possm

Coach
hunt-b-200222104sm.jpg

STATS

Stat Attack: Hunt tops NRL for long kicks finding space
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 28 Nov 2020, 06:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Long kicks finding space dropped by more than one for each team per game in 2020 with pressure placed on playmakers and backline positioning better than ever before.

Incoming coach Anthony Griffin's dilemma with where to play Dragons star Ben Hunt in 2021 will come down to balance but either way the maligned playmaker still remains one of the best at finding open turf in the opposition's territory.

Hunt finished the 2020 Telstra Premiership season a clear leader with the boot, turning the defensive line around and finding space on a competition-high 36 occasions.

His switch to hooker under Paul McGregor in July was met with widespread reaction - both positive and negative - as the Dragons searched to dig themselves out of a hole midway through the season.

With Hunt in the halves they went 0-7 but his move to the bench or starting hooker yielded a 50% win rate.

stat-attack-long-kicks-finding-space_20201126.jpg

Most of Hunt's best efforts with the boot came after taking a couple of steps out of dummy half before finding space downfield.

The Dragons finished the year on top in this statistical area with 64 at an average of 3.2 per game and Hunt remained in the dummy-half role for all but three occasions to finish the year.

Canberra's new halves pairing of Jack Wighton (22) and George Williams (14) combined for 36 of the side's 51 total, the second-best club in the Telstra Premiership, with injured hooker Josh Hodgson also having eight before rupturing his ACL.

Wighton was the competition's best in 2019 with Hunt in the top three alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and Michael Morgan.

The boot of Cherry-Evans - who ranked second in 2020 behind Hunt with 28 in this area - guided the Sea Eagles to third spot in the team pecking order despite a lacklustre season.

Surprisingly, and perhaps in another sign Trent Robinson was not warming to the Luke Keary-Kyle Flanagan combination as well as early-season form might've indicated, the Roosters finished last in this area with a paltry nine.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/30/stat-attack-hunt-leads-nrl-for-long-kicks-finding-space/
The strange thing is that I remember so many kicks that were not long enough or landed straight down the fullbacks throat.

_Johnsy

Referee
I'm a fan of the Dufty 6, Sullivan 7 halves combination. With Soward working on their kicking game, my view is that the attacking skills of these two halves will cause the opposition major headaches. Griffin will have his work cut out getting these two players up to scratch in defence however, I feel sure he can do it.

The obvious bonus of selecting these two as our halves pairing, is the possibility of offloading of both Norman and Hunt and making more salary cap available to purchase the forwards we need to compete with the rest of the competition.

I believe that, with these two halves, together with our young speedy backline, and with two first grade props and a first rate edge forward, we would see the Saints competing for a top 4 spot in 2021.
Dfty doesn’t have any of the necessary requirements to defend as a 6. You do not, nor should have to hide your 5/8 in defence.

possm

Coach
Dfty doesn’t have any of the necessary requirements to defend as a 6. You do not, nor should have to hide your 5/8 in defence.
It's a matter of picking the best option. Which is worse leaving Dufty exposed in defence at fullback or hiding him at 6 in a similar way that Bennett hid Soward.

possm

Coach
Well you said it and I agree. However, if Dufty is serious about making the NRL a career, he should return to the halves, a place where he played very successfully in his junior days until Hornby moved him to fullback.