What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree it would. Ironically FCD, I actually prefer Hunt over McInnes at Hooker, he brings more to the table in my opinion. But, I just think it works better for Saints if McInnes stays at Hooker. Hunt’s criticisms often appear aimed at the $1 million worth of their investment.....and he’s only delivered x amount. Possibly correct too, but it’s a history lesson now that also should take in factors like poor coaching and forward pack etc etc..

But still there is no way I’d start him in Reserve Grade in a side that we have currently; throwing the baby out with the bath water in my opinion.
Many people do rate Hunt higher at 9 and it’s a valid opinion. I’m not one of those people as I believe if our halves both did their jobs we shouldn’t need a kicking option at 9. In saying that I can’t see why McInnes couldn’t work on his kicking a bit more for the very odd occasion it’s needed. But as that video that recently come out of Bennett blasting Hodgson for kicking, telling him to not F,ing do it because that’s the halves job I tend to agree. His job is first and foremost to get good clean ball to the right people at the right time and make his tackles. At the end of the day it is in everyone’s best interest to get Hunt firing as a 7 again because he’s not going anywhere so let’s hope Soward/Hook can help him simplify his game a bit.

possm

Coach
Many people do rate Hunt higher at 9 and it’s a valid opinion. I’m not one of those people as I believe if our halves both did their jobs we shouldn’t need a kicking option at 9. In saying that I can’t see why McInnes couldn’t work on his kicking a bit more for the very odd occasion it’s needed. But as that video that recently come out of Bennett blasting Hodgson for kicking, telling him to not F,ing do it because that’s the halves job I tend to agree. His job is first and foremost to get good clean ball to the right people at the right time and make his tackles. At the end of the day it is in everyone’s best interest to get Hunt firing as a 7 again because he’s not going anywhere so let’s hope Soward/Hook can help him simplify his game a bit.
As our busiest tackler in the middle, dummy half and captain, I'd say McInness is flat out doing the job he is doing now. With Soward on board, why not involve Lomax with long kicks. He could stand back and reef it to the corners and then run up to put everyone on side.

On so many occasions both Hunt and Norman don't get enough length on there kicks.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
As our busiest tackler in the middle, dummy half and captain, I'd say McInness is flat out doing the job he is doing now. With Soward on board, why not involve Lomax with long kicks. He could stand back and reef it to the corners and then run up to put everyone on side.

On so many occasions both Hunt and Norman don't get enough length on there kicks.
The recent upload of Dragons stats that someone posted recently doesn’t support that view, however.
I’ll stand corrected, but I think the Dragons were ‘No 1’ in the NRL for most metres gained from kicks. Stats can be deceptive I know; the reason that they may be kicking deep for meterage is because the forward pack has not made enough ground in the first place, still that’s what the data said. Maybe the halves are doing ok in this area?

Last edited:

George Dragon

Juniors
@George Dragon is the DS 4 or 6 for next year? I was just in the Sharks site and they have signed their 5th player to their DS stating 6 is the number for the 2021 season.

If so, I can see some movement between the current DS squad and some additions to it.

Any clues here?
DP rule is minimum 4 max 6
There was talk of it only being 4 at the same time talk around a top 26 but neither seemed to of happened.

jeffdragon

Bench
And in regards to forwards they are banking on JDB getting off.
If that's the case we won't be going anywhere in 2021 the way our thread bare pack was and is.

BLM01

First Grade
The recent upload of Dragons stats that someone posted recently doesn’t support that view, however.
I’ll stand corrected, but I think the Dragons were ‘No 1’ in the NRL for most metres gained from kicks. Stats can be deceptive I know; the reason that they may be kicking deep for meterage is because the forward pack has not made enough ground in the first place, still that’s what the data said. Maybe the halves are doing ok in this area?
Yeh but the full story it was Hunt mainly..and a lot of the kicks were when he played dummy half.
They actually said "taking a few steps out of dummy half"
Nevertheless he is a decent 1st grader..not the way some people are treating or talking about him like he is some nuftie who we should discard.

Belta

Juniors
And in regards to forwards they are banking on JDB getting off.
If that's the case we won't be going anywhere in 2021 the way our thread bare pack was and is.

That would be beyond ridiculous if they were. It’s like flipping a coin to decide the makeup of your team. In any case we should know the answer soon as all sides had finished giving evidence last Thursday and the jurors were sent away to deliberate and reach a verdict, not sure how long that usually takes though

getsmarty

Immortal
OFAHENGAUE FINDS NEW HOME

Broncos forward Joe Ofahengaue has wasted no time in cutting ties with the Broncos after changing his Instagram bio to ‘Ex-Brisbane Bronco’.

Joe Ofahengaue has changed his Instagram bio to ‘Ex Brisbane Bronco’... #NRL pic.twitter.com/YMVcRmysIK

— Veronica Eggleton (@veggleton) November 27, 2020
Ofahengue is set to move to Sydney with The Australianreporting the 25-year-old’s has all but signed with the Wests Tigers.

Ofahengaue was on the hunt for a new club after being informed he was free to find a new home.

It’s understood Ofahengaue, who is coming off a disappointing season with Brisbane, has agreed to a multi-year deal with the Tigers which could be announced as early as Thursday afternoon.

The ex-Maroons forward still has two years left on his Broncos contract. The Australian reports the Broncos will pay part of Ofahengaue’s salary for 2021 and possibly 2022 as well.

The Dragons were also in the conversation, but they reportedly could not come to an agreement on how much of Ofahengaue’s salary they would pay.

Ofahengaue’s signing should allow the Tigers to now release Josh Aloiai to take up a three-year deal with the Sea Eagles.

The Tigers were originally going to stand firm on Aloiai but with a replacement secured there’ll be no need to keep a player who desperately wants out.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/1e8d2198b2502cac660ccb11783e995e

BLM01

First Grade
Once again well done Dragons for not taking the easy option on money.
Probably could have landed his signature but not on the money he wanted and Broncos not keen on payments.
Yes it all does seem frustrating to most thinking that we’re not signing anybody
I’m taking the view they’re being very calculating and selective on who they sign so for me that is only a good thing and a big improvement since 2011.
We have had a smorgasbord of wasted or panicked signings who just didn’t live up to any sort of reputation or expectation or had none of the above and we still saw value in them. To be fair some were ex dragons and knew dragons footy and club culture.... supposedly
Ahhrrggh. The Doust / Young / Price & McGregor recruitment clan. Operation clean up 2021.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yeh but the full story it was Hunt mainly..and a lot of the kicks were when he played dummy half.
They actually said "taking a few steps out of dummy half"
Nevertheless he is a decent 1st grader..not the way some people are treating or talking about him like he is some nuftie who we should discard.
In fairness though, the kick Norman did to beat Parramatta or Brisbane in the last minute of the game was one of the longest kicks under pressure ive seen. He also tackled the guy in the in goal area. More of that would be welcome...

FlameThrower

Bench
Correct,,,and 3 year deal...Tigers more than likely payed overs.
TBH, if we don’t sign anyone ( of note) in next 3 weeks, then I think the ship may have sailed for any decent signings. The whole JDB saga has been an massive distraction and I fear we are not ready if decision goes against him.
I was hoping for top 8 next year, but at this moment I doubt we will be anywhere near that.
The only slim hope is Santa brings us an early Christmas present or two.....otherwise we will be cannon fodder for teams next year.
Surely Hook and Co, have signed up to one of the toughest jobs in the NRL.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As it CURRENTLY stands, our prop rotations for NRL and CC look something like this:

NRL - Vaughan, Lawrie, Kerr & PF

CC - Blacker, Merrin, Ellis and possibly Magnone (young fella from Canberra) or even Fuimaono can play in the middle.

BLM01

First Grade
In fairness though, the kick Norman did to beat Parramatta or Brisbane in the last minute of the game was one of the longest kicks under pressure ive seen. He also tackled the guy in the in goal area. More of that would be welcome...
Agree, as you said more of it would be welcome. It seems those words can’t get through to Norman in all facets of his game.
Shame really.. as clearly has the talent

ALSGI

Bench
TBH, if we don’t sign anyone ( of note) in next 3 weeks, then I think the ship may have sailed for any decent signings. The whole JDB saga has been an massive distraction and I fear we are not ready if decision goes against him.
I was hoping for top 8 next year, but at this moment I doubt we will be anywhere near that.
The only slim hope is Santa brings us an early Christmas present or two.....otherwise we will be cannon fodder for teams next year.
Agree, I think we’ll struggle to make top 8. All it will take is a couple of inevitable injuries to expose our depth.

possm

Coach
Agree, I think we’ll struggle to make top 8. All it will take is a couple of inevitable injuries to expose our depth.
There are plenty of props overseas; ESL, South Pacific, NZ Rugby, South Africa. Millward would love a trip like that and surely would come back with some real talent.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Yes- I was pinning my hopes on the Broncos having overpaid and disgruntled big forwards but gradually they are being weeded out without us being in the picture. That said, I have no regrets over Joe O not coming here- he could be trouble for a number of reasons.

The ESL is still a possibility but having watched Saints V Wigan game, the two supposedly gun teams in the ESL, I was left with the impression that all the good English players are already here- mainly with Canberra. What a boreathon that game was.