What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Chipmunk

Coach
Well that was my point too. I doubt they would've been tapping Hayne's phone hoping for a sexual assault confession. Clearly the tap was for something else and the Pearce conversation was incidental.

I think you will find telecommunications interception warrants (i.e. phone taps) are quite restrictive on what you can later use the evidence obtained for. I don't think the police can get a phone tap for one purpose (e.g. some sort of drug related investigation) and then use recordings from that tap in a completely unrelated case (e.g. a sexual assault investigation).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you will find telecommunications interception warrants (i.e. phone taps) are quite restrictive on what you can later use the evidence obtained for. I don't think the police can get a phone tap for one purpose (e.g. some sort of drug related investigation) and then use recordings from that tap in a completely unrelated case (e.g. a sexual assault investigation).
Are you certain?

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon it was the other way around (they got the tap somehow for some reason on the sexual assault) but then possibly that’s led to information about other things. They may not be able to use that specific information as evidence but they’d use it to direct investigation into those matters. But warrants aren’t necessarily that restrictive, cops only need to justify reasonable suspicion to intercept the call based on the original warrant. If that call/whatever contains information regarding another criminal matter, while it may not be enough to arrest a person, particularly a third party, on that grounds, it’s possibly enough further reasonable suspicion to garner a separate warrant.

Chipmunk

Coach
I reckon it was the other way around (they got the tap somehow for some reason on the sexual assault) but then possibly that’s led to information about other things. They may not be able to use that specific information as evidence but they’d use it to direct investigation into those matters. But warrants aren’t necessarily that restrictive, cops only need to justify reasonable suspicion to intercept the call based on the original warrant. If that call/whatever contains information regarding another criminal matter, while it may not be enough to arrest a person, particularly a third party, on that grounds, it’s possibly enough further reasonable suspicion to garner a separate warrant.

Yes can certainly use it as intel, but I can't see them being able to use it in court as evidence.

84 Baby

Referee
Yes can certainly use it as intel, but I can't see them being able to use it in court as evidence.
Given the tenuous connections, it probably wouldn’t matter. They’d just use the intel and make the other case with better, first hand evidence, with it being unlikely that they’d then have to justify how they came across the intel in the first place.

Chipmunk

Coach
Given the tenuous connections, it probably wouldn’t matter. They’d just use the intel and make the other case with better, first hand evidence, with it being unlikely that they’d then have to justify how they came across the intel in the first place.

It's not like the USA...I don't think you have to justify how you got the intel in the first place.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference between evidence and intelligence

Gronk

Staff member
^^^ Macron sound like they're a french manufacturer of intra-uterine devices.